PDA

View Full Version : Rams waived Anthony Smith

denverYooper
11-05-2009, 07:01 PM
Schefter reported this:

Staying busy on their bye week, the Rams waived veteran safety Anthony Smith.

A lot of folks were high on his preseason wizardry. Should the Pack pick him up if he makes it that far down the wire?

Brando19
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
In the words of Charles Woodson's mind....yes.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Sometimes when Ty has sour milk, Ty puts it back in the fridge. Ty is sure it won't be sour the next time he tries it.

hoosier
11-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Do you ever get it to turn into cheese?

Freak Out
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
How dare they....he was a great free agent pick up by TT.

packers11
11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
How dare they....he was a great free agent pick up by TT.

I know seriously... Best FA pickup since Reggie White ... Charles who? :wink:

Smidgeon
11-05-2009, 07:45 PM
If the Rams cut him, for which team is he good enough to play? The Buccaneers?

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:11 PM
At the beginning of the season there was a near-mutiny when he was let go in favor of Derrick Martin and Aaron Rouse.

Rouse has been cut and Martin has not set the world on fire, so where's the clamor to bring back Smith?

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 08:14 PM
At the beginning of the season there was a near-mutiny when he was let go in favor of Derrick Martin and Aaron Rouse.

Rouse has been cut and Martin has not set the world on fire, so where's the clamor to bring back Smith?

Smith was the lynchpin FA for TT's new 3-4 defense. Capers, two rookies, and a stud FA - our defense will dominate!

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:18 PM
Shall we see if anyone's claimed www.bringsmithback.com yet?

MJZiggy
11-05-2009, 08:19 PM

He's not on our team and therefore more desirable than those who are. Because he's not. You know?

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:23 PM
So if he is re-signed after a loud clamoring from the fan base for his signing, can the fans then complain about him?

MJZiggy
11-05-2009, 08:24 PM
So if he is re-signed after a loud clamoring from the fan base for his signing, can the fans then complain about him?

Can? They must! It's their duty. Absolutely!

Fritz
11-05-2009, 08:27 PM
I miss complaining about him. I hope we re-sign him.

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Shall we see if anyone's claimed www.bringsmithback.com yet?

I thought that was the website clamoring for the "I, Robot" sequel.

mraynrand
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM

If complaining is what you want, we should sign Ahmad Carroll or B.J.Sander.

pbmax
11-05-2009, 11:05 PM

Is Scorpio Babers available?

Guiness
11-05-2009, 11:11 PM

He's not on our team and therefore more desirable than those who are. Because he's not. You know?

That, and an expert is anyone from more than 100 miles away.

MJZiggy
11-06-2009, 06:03 AM

Who needs them? We have M3.

Fritz
11-06-2009, 06:33 AM

Mike Sherman has won his last two games at A & M after being left for dead. He's starting to appeal to me again, too.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-06-2009, 08:21 AM

Mike Sherman has won his last two games at A & M after being left for dead. He's starting to appeal to me again, too.

It is a little soon to be bitter and cynical!

KYPack
11-06-2009, 08:38 AM
There used to ba a rule that once you cut a guy, you couldn't sign him. It's gone now, 'cause teams cut guys for a week and bring 'em back. Maybe they started the old rule to protect them from themselves.

Smith must be an asshole, cut from 3 teams in under a year. He did look good in pre, but in some of his "good" plays, he was also way out of position. We got guys who know how to be out of place already.

The most "out of position" safety I've ever seen is Rouse. He did shit in the Bengals game I'm still trying to figure out how he thought they were good ideas.

denverYooper
11-06-2009, 08:45 AM
The most "out of position" safety I've ever seen is Rouse. He did shit in the Bengals game I'm still trying to figure out how he thought they were good ideas.

:lol: And now he's helping torpedo the Giants defense.

CaptainKickass
11-06-2009, 09:28 AM

Can? They must! It's their duty. Absolutely!

http://www.whataboutclients.com/archives/beavis_and_butthead_mtv_image.jpg

She said "Dooty" huh huh, hhhhuh huh.

Fritz
11-06-2009, 11:26 AM

That was an attempt at a joke. I was not a fan of Sherman the GM and not really much of a fan of his coaching though I tried to be fair.

I was going to follow that post up by suggesting we pursue Bart Starr. He can coach.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-06-2009, 11:30 AM

That was an attempt at a joke. I was not a fan of Sherman the GM and not really much of a fan of his coaching though I tried to be fair.

I was going to follow that post up by suggesting we pursue Bart Starr. He can coach.

ty was using your words from another thread...bitter and cynical.

ty knew you were joking.

CaptainKickass
11-06-2009, 11:39 AM

It's never too soon to be bitter and cynical - hell, for some of us, it's truly a lifestyle!

Fritz
11-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I know, Ty. But I didn't see my remarks as bitter and cynical as much as lightly humorous.

But once you have to explain, then you know you weren't funny. Oh well.

denverYooper
11-06-2009, 07:24 PM
And, they tried to get him back:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Jaguars-sign-Anthony-Smith-place-Starks-on-IR.html

Jacksonville got him though.

MJZiggy
11-06-2009, 07:30 PM
Let's play "How many teams can one guy sign with in the course of 12 months."

Fred's Slacks
11-06-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Wilson-Jaguars-sign-Anthony-Smith-place-Starks-on-IR.html

This is somewhat disturbing. We cut him in camp then had major struggles at the position. Now we're trying to get him back? This is the second year in a row we've surprisingly let go of a player last minute only to have it blow up in our face. I'm starting to lose faith in this regime.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 06:30 AM

This is somewhat disturbing. We cut him in camp then had major struggles at the position. Now we're trying to get him back? This is the second year in a row we've surprisingly let go of a player last minute only to have it blow up in our face. I'm starting to lose faith in this regime.

I had this same thought. What other "let go" players do you have in mind. I'm thinking of P Jon Ryan and RB Tyrell Sutton, though I don't think they ever tried to get either one back.

Fred's Slacks
11-07-2009, 07:22 AM

I had this same thought. What other "let go" players do you have in mind. I'm thinking of P Jon Ryan and RB Tyrell Sutton, though I don't think they ever tried to get either one back.

I was refering to Ryan. Neither move seemed big at the time but Frost was so extremely putrid and Rouse and Martin combined to give up like 4 or 5 TDs. Smith might not have done any better but the fact we tried to get him back tells me we f-d that one up too.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 08:06 AM

I was refering to Ryan. Neither move seemed big at the time but Frost was so extremely putrid and Rouse and Martin combined to give up like 4 or 5 TDs. Smith might not have done any better but the fact we tried to get him back tells me we f-d that one up too.

I did a bit of research and it seems we tried to keep Sutton as well, but he didn't clear waivers.

Fritz
11-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Sigh.

One of the questions Waldo has brought up elsewhere has to do with who it is that makes the bottom-of-the-roster decisions. Does Thompson "suggest" that MM keep some young guys to develop, when MM would rather go with experience? Or does MM get to make the calls?

It would be interesting to know who makes these decisions.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Sigh.

One of the questions Waldo has brought up elsewhere has to do with who it is that makes the bottom-of-the-roster decisions. Does Thompson "suggest" that MM keep some young guys to develop, when MM would rather go with experience? Or does MM get to make the calls?

It's important as well. Nowadays with the reduced rosters and the hyper-sensitive injury police, the bottom-of-the-roster player can, in one week, become a starter.

Fred's Slacks
11-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Sigh.

My guess is that MM has a lot of input in those decisions but ultimately it is TT's call. I'm also guessing that if TT doesn't have a strong feeling either way, that MM could then make the decision. Ultimately it is TT's roster though. The buck stops with him so if MM makes a bad decision on who to keep, it's still TT's fault.

I don't want to be a TT hater. I've been a strong supporter of his. I like his philosophy and principles and how he goes about his business. However I don't like our Oline, special teams and lack of pass rush. If coaching is the problem, then TT needs to fix that.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Sigh.

My guess is that MM has a lot of input in those decisions but ultimately it is TT's call. I'm also guessing that if TT doesn't have a strong feeling either way, that MM could then make the decision. Ultimately it is TT's roster though. The buck stops with him so if MM makes a bad decision on who to keep, it's still TT's fault.

I don't want to be a TT hater. I've been a strong supporter of his. I like his philosophy and principles and how he goes about his business. However I don't like our Oline, special teams and lack of pass rush. If coaching is the problem, then TT needs to fix that.

If it's the way you describe, I don't see how MM could live with it. As head coach, my position would be "You give me the players and I'll decide who plays, who sticks and who stays. It's your talent, but it's my team."

sharpe1027
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
We're complaining about missing out on Anthony Smith? Really? I think we have bigger things to complain about, but whatever floats your boat I guess. :lol:

Sure, maybe he's slightly better than our worst DB....if so try to sign him...but it IS just Anthony Smith.

Fred's Slacks
11-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Sigh.

If it's the way you describe, I don't see how MM could live with it. As head coach, my position would be "You give me the players and I'll decide who plays, who sticks and who stays. It's your talent, but it's my team."

You may be right maxie. I'm not going to pretend to have insider knowledge. I've just always seen the GM as the guy who is ultimately responsible for the talent on the roster. He gets final say on all personnel decisions. But he doesn't want to coach to be alienated and I'm sure he respects MM's opinions on personnel so he will always hear him out and let him have input. In my head, that's they way it works.

Fred's Slacks
11-07-2009, 09:35 AM
We're complaining about missing out on Anthony Smith? Really? I think we have bigger things to complain about, but whatever floats your boat I guess. :lol:

Sure, maybe he's slightly better than our worst DB....if so try to sign him...but it IS just Anthony Smith.

Maybe I'm taking it a little far but to be fair, the conversation did evolve a little beyond just Anthony Smith. I know it's easy to get overly negative after a tough loss. I'm not saying we should start firing people. I'm just disappointed is all.

sharpe1027
11-07-2009, 09:41 AM

Maybe I'm taking it a little far but to be fair, the conversation did evolve a little beyond just Anthony Smith. I know it's easy to get overly negative after a tough loss. I'm not saying we should start firing people. I'm just disappointed is all.

Didn't mean to single anyone out, I'm just trying to lighten it up a bit. I was rather pissed for awhile, but the more I think about it, this team could easily still end up in the playoffs and who knows after that.

KYPack
11-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Sigh.

That's a "group mind" decision. The group coaches (WR, line, DB, LB,) etc. are constantly asked to rate their players. At some point, the coaches are asked, "if you had to cut one guy, who would it be"? Some teams do this every 10 -14 days. Then the coach, GM, and pro personnel people rate their team from top to bottom. If a move has to be made, the GM knows who "the last man" is. That would be reviewed prior to a move, and a cut if finally made, is done after the input. When it becomes the real time to make a move, those meetings get real heated. The coach that is going to lose a spot usually gets pissed, and screaming, clipboard tossing and the like can well ensue. It's all a battle for power and resources.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 10:19 AM

Didn't mean to single anyone out, I'm just trying to lighten it up a bit. I was rather pissed for awhile, but the more I think about it, this team could easily still end up in the playoffs and who knows after that.

I like your optimism, but "easily" ending up in the playoffs might be a stretch. I went over the Packers' schedule last night and the rest of their season after Tampa is no cakewalk:

Dallas Cowboys at home
San Francisco 49ers at home
@ Detroit Lions (Thanksgiving)
Baltimore Ravens at home
@ Chicago Bears
@ Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks at home
@ Arizona Cardinals

Assuming they're 5-3 after Tampa, they'll need six more wins to be a wild card team. Dallas, San Francisco and Arizona shape up as must win games because they'll be in the wild card hunt too. Not to mention the Bears. I'm thinking they can afford to lose to Baltimore and Pittsburgh, but need to win the rest.

sharpe1027
11-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I like your optimism, but "easily" ending up in the playoffs might be a stretch. I went over the Packers' schedule last night and the rest of their season after Tampa is no cakewalk:

Dallas Cowboys at home
Baltimore Ravens at home
@ Chicago Bears
@ Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks at home
@ Arizona Cardinals

Assuming they're 5-3 after Tampa, they'll need six more wins to be a wild card team. Dallas, San Francisco and Arizona shape up as must win games because they'll be in the wild card hunt too. Not to mention the Bears. I'm thinking they can afford to lose to Baltimore and Pittsburgh, but need to win the rest.

10-6 gets you in for the NFC more times than not (AFC beats up on the NFC making the respective records uneven). No way they have to win each of Dallas, San Fran and Arizona. 2 out of 3 should be more than enough. 1 out of 3, depending upon which they beat, might be enough even if they finish 10-6.

None of those teams, except for Pitt, are playing great football. The Packer's have a schedule that they can go 6-3 from here on out. Will they? That's why they play the games.

By easily, I mean a very real possibility.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Dallas Cowboys at home
Baltimore Ravens at home
@ Chicago Bears
@ Pittsburgh Steelers
Seattle Seahawks at home
@ Arizona Cardinals

10-6 gets you in for the NFC more times than not (AFC beats up on the NFC making the respective records uneven). No way they have to win each of Dallas, San Fran and Arizona. 2 out of 3 should be more than enough. 1 out of 3, depending upon which they beat, might be enough even if they finish 10-6.

None of those teams, except for Pitt, are playing great football. The Packer's have a schedule that they can go 6-3 from here on out. Will they? That's why they play the games.

By easily, I mean a very real possibility.

You're probably right...I hope anyway. I'm worried about Baltimore, Dallas and San Francisco more than Arizona, though Arizone is a tough place to go into and have to win. Both Baltimore and San Francisco had Minnesota beat before lightening struck. Both are quirky, good teams.