PDA

View Full Version : Packers tried to get Anthony Smith back

Brandon494
11-07-2009, 11:25 AM
The Green Bay Packers' decision to put in a waiver claim Friday on safety Anthony Smith was an admission that they erred in cutting him at the end of training camp.

The problem was, the Packers weren't awarded Smith. He went to Jacksonville, the only other team to put in a claim, according to the NFL's internal transaction wire.

The St. Louis Rams, who claimed Smith after the Packers cut him on Sept. 5, released him on Thursday. He appeared in just two games for the Rams.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com
http://twitter.com/RobDemovsky

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
None of us that I know of has a line on the real story behind the Smith saga. But it surely is strange, considering the fans generally thought it was a slam dunk he'd make the team. Probably same could be said about Sutton and the decision to keep three full backs.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that the Packers' coaching staff/TT overthought the whole business. Sometimes, when you get assembled a whole roomful of people to analyze a problem, the problem ends up to being much more complicated and convoluted than when it started out.

KY gave a good explanation earlier (maybe in another thread) about how assistant coaches protect their turf and scream and hollar at cutdown times to preserve their players.

I understand that today's game is complicated and that each area of the team needs special attention/teaching, etc., but damn how many businesses could survive and prosper with the same number/percentage of mid-level managers per total employees that the Packers have?

In business the way it usually works is you appoint some full-time guy to oversee a specific, part-time problem. Then, before long, that guy expands and overthinks/overworks the problem to fill his time available. You do this enough -- usually in times of economic prosperity and general business expansion --and management becomes top heavy and musclebound. Then comes a recession and companies fix the problem by cutting mid-management.

To make a long story short, maybe the Packers just have too many Chiefs overseeing the Indians and guys like Sutton, Smith and Jon Ryan get caught in the crossfire.

Brando19
11-07-2009, 03:21 PM
http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=19217

Not really a need for a bunch of Anthony Smith threads.

mraynrand
11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
The Green Bay Packers' decision to put in a waiver claim Friday on safety Anthony Smith was an admission that they erred in cutting him at the end of training camp.

The problem was, the Packers weren't awarded Smith. He went to Jacksonville, the only other team to put in a claim, according to the NFL's internal transaction wire.

The St. Louis Rams, who claimed Smith after the Packers cut him on Sept. 5, released him on Thursday. He appeared in just two games for the Rams.

This is beyond pathetic. What can we use for analogy? Let's say Sweaty Sandy, the extra-chubby Junior asks you to the prom, but you are certain you can do better, so you say no. She then goes on to date 'Bacne Bob' the guy voted 'Most likely to have zits on his body forever.' Bacne Bob dumps her and then, you, desperate with no date to the prom, ask Sweaty Sandy only to find out that she accepted a date to the prom with 'B.O. Brad,' The smelliest guy in school. Oh, the HUMANITY!

KYPack
11-07-2009, 05:48 PM
None of us that I know of has a line on the real story behind the Smith saga. But it surely is strange, considering the fans generally thought it was a slam dunk he'd make the team. Probably same could be said about Sutton and the decision to keep three full backs.

I'll go out on a limb and speculate that the Packers' coaching staff/TT overthought the whole business. Sometimes, when you get assembled a whole roomful of people to analyze a problem, the problem ends up to being much more complicated and convoluted than when it started out.

KY gave a good explanation earlier (maybe in another thread) about how assistant coaches protect their turf and scream and hollar at cutdown times to preserve their players.

I understand that today's game is complicated and that each area of the team needs special attention/teaching, etc., but damn how many businesses could survive and prosper with the same number/percentage of mid-level managers per total employees that the Packers have?

In business the way it usually works is you appoint some full-time guy to oversee a specific, part-time problem. Then, before long, that guy expands and overthinks/overworks the problem to fill his time available. You do this enough -- usually in times of economic prosperity and general business expansion --and management becomes top heavy and musclebound. Then comes a recession and companies fix the problem by cutting mid-management.

To make a long story short, maybe the Packers just have too many Chiefs overseeing the Indians and guys like Sutton, Smith and Jon Ryan get caught in the crossfire.

(Had to go take a shower after MR Arnd's post).

It isn't the number of people involved in the decision, it's the quality of the decision. All coaching staff's go thru this shit when cutting the squad and making other kinds of number determinations.

I wudda have liked to be a fly on the wall last year when they screwed up and lost Haynos, then further screwed up the next week and lost Tracy White to keep Lagagna. (I did that for whoever hated it when ya called him Lasagna)

To me, the Haynos move was a no brainer. I'd have cut Humphrey and kept the kid. Then they lost a pretty valuable ST guy and leader to keep a lb prospect who really can't play ST.

That was a big huh?

Not maybe too many chiefs, but some coaches are better salesmen and get their way, when others with expertise aren't getting their information thru. These screw-ups (along with the Ryan Fubar) reflect badly on the staff, MM AND Thompson.

Conflict among coaches that lead to arguments and possibly fights? Probably happened to Walter Camp and his coaches and will last to the end of time. You aren't a coach worth his salt until you are willing to stick up for your guys and tell another coach to get fucked.

It happened on the Raiders this season when the big guy busted an Asst coaches jaw. Evidently, the guy was a stooge for Al. Imagine that?

rbaloha1
11-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Shows how accurate player's comments are accurate (recall Woodson's comments about keeping Smith).

IMO CJ, AH and CW's comments about Capers are accurate. Hopefully Capers is more creative against the better opponents.

Maxie the Taxi
11-07-2009, 06:42 PM
It takes a strong leader to cut through the crap, to tell the difference between assistants just protecting turf and blowing BS and assistants who have legitimate arguments. So much that goes on in organizations like this is guys blowing smoke for one psychological reason or the other. Really good head coaches have a talent for sifting through the chaff.

pbmax
11-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Shows how accurate player's comments are accurate (recall Woodson's comments about keeping Smith).

IMO CJ, AH and CW's comments about Capers are accurate. Hopefully Capers is more creative against the better opponents.
One player brought back after a cut shows how accurate player's power of perception is? That's a ridiculous claim when measuring only one comment.

The back end of the roster is T2's territory, so Woodson might have been right about Smith, but his record on Capers is unknown at this point.

And let's be serious. This player could not stay on the roster of one of the worst teams in the league. This is more a condemnation of Rouse and Bush (maybe Martin) than it is a comment about Smith.

denverYooper
11-07-2009, 09:08 PM

One player brought back after a cut shows how accurate player's power of perception is? That's a ridiculous claim when measuring only one comment.

The back end of the roster is T2's territory, so Woodson might have been right about Smith, but his record on Capers is unknown at this point.

And let's be serious. This player could not stay on the roster of one of the worst teams in the league. This is more a condemnation of Rouse and Bush (maybe Martin) than it is a comment about Smith.

I was wondering who would've gotten cut. My guess is Bush. His special teams value seems to have slipped this year, and I think Martin's been pretty decent on STs.