PDA

View Full Version : Spitz lost for the season

Brando19
11-07-2009, 07:13 PM
I just heard on the radio that the Packers placed Center Jason Spitz on injured reserve. The wounded offensive line keeps taking hits.

packers11
11-07-2009, 07:21 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers placed C Jason Spitz (back) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Spitz was expected to play a big role this year after he beat out incumbent center Scott Wells, who will now continue to start. Spitz hasn't practiced since Oct. 15. He's a free agent after this season.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

-Packers signed WR Biren Ealy off their practice squad

rbaloha1
11-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Big loss. Thank goodness for Wells. Is this Spitz's k year?

MJZiggy
11-07-2009, 07:46 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Packers placed C Jason Spitz (back) on injured reserve, ending his season.

Spitz was expected to play a big role this year after he beat out incumbent center Scott Wells, who will now continue to start. Spitz hasn't practiced since Oct. 15. He's a free agent after this season.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

-Packers signed WR Biren Ealy off their practice squad

How did he get hurt? I don't remember him coming out of the game (or was it that traumatic for me?)

KYPack
11-07-2009, 07:55 PM
That's it for Spitz.

No way they will sign him in FA.

red
11-07-2009, 08:45 PM
thats a shame, i liked him better at center then wells

wells is alraight but nothing special, we have much bigger problems on the o-line

i could see them bringing him back next year )spitz that is)

Partial
11-07-2009, 10:27 PM
That's it for Spitz.

Why do you think this? Not saying it's wrong but I don't know if it will necessarily be the case.

Bretsky
11-07-2009, 11:22 PM
That's it for Spitz.

Not sure that will be the case unless our homersim taught us to overvalue Spitz. Is he not as good at C and/or guard as we thought ?

Sutton really does look like the real deal.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-08-2009, 02:15 AM
That's it for Spitz.

Not sure that will be the case unless our homersim taught us to overvalue Spitz. Is he not as good at C and/or guard as we thought ?

who is sutton?

Scott Campbell
11-08-2009, 07:38 AM
That's it for Spitz.

If somebody makes him a great offer, I could see him leaving. But there is some value there for the Packers. What makes you think it's a done deal?

Scott Campbell
11-08-2009, 07:39 AM
That's it for Spitz.

who is sutton?

Sitton.

Bretsky
11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
That's it for Spitz.

who is sutton?

midnight typo

Fritz
11-08-2009, 09:28 AM
Much of Spitz's future will depend on what the docs say about his back; this could however be a case in which he has more value to the Packers than to other teams and so he could end up signing with them.

Bretsky
11-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Much of Spitz's future will depend on what the docs say about his back; this could however be a case in which he has more value to the Packers than to other teams and so he could end up signing with them.

At this point any OL that can play probably has more value to the Packers :wink:

Fritz
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
And some of those guys are still in college....

The draft will be interesting next year. Saw another thread on another site suggesting that if Barbre - who's been taking practice snaps at left tackle a little - can't get his pass blocking figured out he's the next Tony Moll - a swingman who is worth, well, what?

Left tackle early in the draft next year, anyone? Lang at right tackle?

Bretsky
11-08-2009, 10:07 AM

The draft will be interesting next year. Saw another thread on another site suggesting that if Barbre - who's been taking practice snaps at left tackle a little - can't get his pass blocking figured out he's the next Tony Moll - a swingman who is worth, well, what?

Perhaps we could shore up an OL positive via free agency :idea: and then draft a lights out RB ?

Fritz
11-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, who's going to be a top-notch tackle coming free this offseason in free agency?

Anyone?

I suspect that good starting tackles do not often come up in free agency. Now if I am wrong and there are one or two out there, I apologize. But I would caution you to be careful about using "sign a free agent" as an easy fix if it's not really a viable option. It's easy to say "sign someone" but if there's no one to sign, or if the free agent has no interest in GB, then it's a straw man to knock down.

BF4MVP
11-08-2009, 10:51 AM

Perhaps we could shore up an OL positive via free agency :idea: and then draft a lights out RB ?
That idea sounds amazing in theory. Are there any good tackles in free agency though?

mraynrand
11-08-2009, 10:54 AM

That idea sounds amazing in theory. Are there any good tackles in free agency though?

I agree. Let's do this.

mission
11-08-2009, 11:00 AM

I agree. Let's do this.

Great, now that that's taken care of ... which RB do we draft? :lol:

Fritz
11-08-2009, 11:02 AM
Okay - here are three possible free agents:

Jared Gaither, Baltimore. He can be tendered by Baltimore, so he'll cost probably a first round pick, at least.

Marcus McNeill. Here's what Footballs Future said about him as an "above average" left tackle: "Any of the Chargers could feasibly be had this offseason and McNeill is no different, but with some of the offensive line woes of the Chargers, McNeill may be one of their top priorities."

Winston Justice. Philly - Just starting to live up to expectations - as a pass blocker. He's replaced an injured starter, Shawn Andrews.

Let's see if any of these actually become available.

wist43
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I would think it would be Spitz who has the interest in moving on... GB's OL situation has for years been nothing if not dysfunctional.

Spitz is a decent player who can likely grow into a solid 10-12 year vet... why would he want to keep himself in a dysfunctional situation, if given a reasonable offer to move to a better situation, better scheme, better coaching???

Clearly, something is amiss in all things OL related in GB.

mraynrand
11-08-2009, 11:03 AM

I agree. Let's do this.

Great, now that that's taken care of ... which RB do we draft? :lol:

The GM has that covered. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy.

mraynrand
11-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I would think it would be Spitz who has the interest in moving on... GB's OL situation has for years been nothing if not dysfunctional.

Spitz is a decent player who can likely grow into a solid 10-12 year vet... why would he want to keep himself in a dysfunctional situation, if given a reasonable offer to move to a better situation, better scheme, better coaching???

Oakland is interested in him. I'm sure he'll want to flee dysfunctional GB for the calming stability that defines the Raiders.

Badgerinmaine
11-08-2009, 11:15 AM

I went to the NFL Draft Dogs website, where they already have an obviously very preliminary 2010 first round mock draft. Unfortunately, they say that 2010 will be a very weak year for offensive linemen. They predict only two will go in the first round: OT Russell Okung of Oklahoma State and OT Bryan Bulaga of Iowa. They predict Okung as the #2 pick in the draft, and note that Bulaga is a junior and might not come out for the draft. Their current pick for the Packers is outside linebacker Jerry Hughes from Texas Christian.
Here's the link if you want to see for yourself: http://www.nfldraftdog.com/Mock-Drafts/2010-nfl-mock-draft.html

Fritz
11-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Situations aren't dysfunctional; relationships are.

If you mean by all this the coaching, that is possible. Many people here have questioned Campen's ability to coach and teach. Maybe he'll get shitcanned after the year is done if the o-line doesn't come around. That might persuade Spitz to stay.

I still think though his back problems will narrow his choices.

wist43
11-08-2009, 11:34 AM

Oakland is interested in him. I'm sure he'll want to flee dysfunctional GB for the calming stability that defines the Raiders.

I didn't say we were the most dysfunctional... wow, what a mess out there in Oakland :o

red
11-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Well, who's going to be a top-notch tackle coming free this offseason in free agency?

Anyone?

I suspect that good starting tackles do not often come up in free agency. Now if I am wrong and there are one or two out there, I apologize. But I would caution you to be careful about using "sign a free agent" as an easy fix if it's not really a viable option. It's easy to say "sign someone" but if there's no one to sign, or if the free agent has no interest in GB, then it's a straw man to knock down.

jerod gaither, baltimores young starting left tackle will be a restricted free agent. he's the guy that had the bad neck injury earlier in the year, michael oher slid over from right tackle to left to fill in and played damn good. because of that, there's a chance that the ravens will let him go

also, there's somehow a chance that marcus mcneill might not resign with the chargers

on the draft side there seems to be a good amount of tackles. there might even be some in the second round

esoxx
11-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I hope they find him. Have they done an air search yet, Amber alert?

The Shadow
11-08-2009, 12:02 PM
Any ideas on where to find the game online?