View Full Version : Packers working to get Hawk signed

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Packers working to get Hawk signed
Top pick's deal a bit trickier

By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: July 26, 2006

Green Bay - It has been 14 years since the Green Bay Packers have been in this stratosphere. And their last trip didn't go too well.

Back in 1992, the Packers drafted cornerback Terrell Buckley with the fifth overall pick. Buckley proceeded to hold out 50 days and his Green Bay career was short-lived.

The Packers are hoping for better luck with linebacker A.J. Hawk, who they took at No. 5 in April. But with training camp set to begin Friday, the odds of having Hawk signed don't appear great.

Packers vice president of player finance Andrew Brandt and Hawk's agent, Mike McCartney of Priority Sports & Entertainment, have talked daily for more than a week now. But little progress has been made for a couple of reasons.

First, Green Bay's 12 draft picks are more than any team in the NFL. And as of press time Tuesday, the Packers had just six of the 12 deals completed.

Secondly, as of late Tuesday, just three No. 1 picks had been signed. And Houston's Mario Williams, the top overall pick, was the only player chosen ahead of Hawk to sign. That's made it somewhat difficult for Brandt and McCartney to establish a fair middle ground.

Still, the Packers were holding out hope Hawk would be on the practice field Friday night.

"We're always hopeful. Cautiously optimistic," Brandt said. "And it's always about the greater good of the Packers."

Last year's No. 5 pick, Tampa Bay running back Carnell Williams, signed a five-year, $19.1 million contract. Williams received $11.65 million in his first year, including a $2.9 million signing bonus, a $5 million option bonus, $1.75 million in both a roster bonus and base salary, and $2 million in easily earned incentives.

Oakland safety Michael Huff, the No. 7 pick in the draft, signed Monday. And his contract - a five-year deal worth between $22.5-$26.5 million with $15 million in guarantees - figures to create an enormous amount of movement in the top third of the draft.

"We've always been willing to step out there if we find a willing partner," Brandt said. "Our goal is to put the players and the coaches in the best possible position to be successful. And hopefully doing it in a way that's fair to both sides."

The highest draft pick Brandt has negotiated is Jamal Reynolds, who was the 10th overall selection in 2001.

There are several elements to Hawk's deal that make it trickier than the average contract.

First, the contract will contain far more bells and whistles - things such as voidable years, escalator clauses, how bonuses are structured and how much guaranteed money Hawk receives - than the standard deal. Secondly, determining incentives will also be difficult.

For example, quantifying a running back's value can be done rather simply through things such as rushing yards and touchdowns. It's not as clear-cut with a linebacker, though. Tackles would be the easiest place to start, but the NFL doesn't recognize those as an official statistic. So adding all the incentives figures to be tricky.

"This will be different than the other contracts we've done," Brandt said.

Green Bay's rookie pool is $6,647,633 for its 12 draft picks. As of press time, Brandt had worked deals with second-round wide receiver Greg Jennings, fourth-round cornerback Will Blackmon, fifth-round offensive tackle Tony Moll, sixth-round defensive tackle Johnny Jolly, sixth-round safety Tyrone Culver and seventh-round defensive end Dave Tollefson.

In addition to Hawk, guards Daryn Colledge (second round) and Jason Spitz (third) - both projected starters - had yet to sign. But history shows most players not taken in the first round are signed before camp. Hawk could be a different story, though.

"Obviously, A.J. is the most intensive negotiation," Brandt said. "Unfortunately, there's no way of controlling when things happen and how things shake out in (the first) round.

"In a perfect world, you'd like to clear the deck and have a couple days of pure talk and negotiations. We're trying to move toward that. We'll see what happens."

Hawk (6-1, 246) is expected to start at weak-side linebacker from Day 1 and figures to be on the field virtually every snap. Hawk, an all-American at Ohio State, was a major difference-maker in college and is being counted on to give the Packers' defense an attitude and edge it's lacked in recent seasons.

For that to happen, though, Hawk probably can't miss substantial time. He already missed Green Bay's second minicamp and part of June's voluntary practices because of school. Any more absences would be a major setback in his development.

"I don't get into the contract stuff or worry about that," Packers defensive coordinator Bob Sanders said last month. "But we certainly want (Hawk) here as soon as we can. He's going to be a big part of this defense."

From the July 27, 2006 editions of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

There you go Packer fans.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 08:36 AM
I hope he gets a least a 6 year deal, that would keep here at least til hes 30.

He is 23 already right?

BallHawk
07-27-2006, 09:00 AM
23 in January.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 09:03 AM

What if he is a bust? But that, I mean a decent player, but nothing great.

Long term contracts for young players are a terrible idea, just setting up trouble for both parties.

Spaulding
07-27-2006, 09:42 AM
True, it's a gamble for a six year contract on a rook but given Hawk's pedigree it's a chance I hope the Pack takes. This guy IS football and whether he's a constant all pro or just a pretty good MLB the chance to lock him up for six years while he helps lead this team after Favre retires is something we need.

As the immortal Van Wilder used to say - Hawk's performance and lunch pail charisma will bring the Packers back to prime time tv after Favre retires - "you can write that down"

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 09:49 AM
"As the immortal Van Wilder used to say - Hawk's performance and lunch pail charisma will bring the Packers back to prime time tv after Favre retires - "you can write that down" " mrbojangles

Jump On !

On the HAWK bandwagon - He's OUR's.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 09:52 AM

Long term contracts for young players are a terrible idea, just setting up trouble for both parties.

Brain Bosworth was all player coming out of college, most thought he was a can't miss but it sometimes happens.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 09:54 AM
Bosworth was excellent in action movies.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Bosworth was juiced in college. As long as Hawk wasn't, he'll be good in the pros. Not many top 15 LBs have been busts over the last 10 years. It's a pretty safe position to draft. Probably easier to evaluate than many other positions.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:38 AM
Bosworth was juiced in college. As long as Hawk wasn't, he'll be good in the pros. Not many top 15 LBs have been busts over the last 10 years. It's a pretty safe position to draft. Probably easier to evaluate than many other positions.

Besides all that - HAWK is is just plain n' simple - DAM GOOD !

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 10:44 AM
After watching him dominate in college for four years with my favorite squad, I have a hard time believing he won't be at least good in the pros.

Tony Oday
07-27-2006, 10:50 AM
F it go long term 10 year deal wrap him up forever :) He is the franchises face for YEARS to come!

NO MORE BUST TALK THAT IS FROM NOW ON BANNED!!!!!!!!

RashanGary
07-27-2006, 10:51 AM

I never used to think this, but now I agree. The Packers lose if Hawk implodes and Hawk loses if he explodes. It's a lose/lose/win situation. I know there is a certain tendancy to want to lock guys up, but it can get ugly later if the guy out performs by alot. In the end, you have to restructure or trade anyway, so you might as well do shorter deals to start with.

RashanGary
07-27-2006, 10:55 AM
I think he'll make it in. He wants to be here and the Packers want to be on good terms with their #1 player. I can't imagine TT is going to be a hard ass and I don't picture Hawk being that way either. I just want both sides to say fair is fair and chalk it out.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:58 AM
F it go long term 10 year deal wrap him up forever :) He is the franchises face for YEARS to come!

NO MORE BUST TALK THAT IS FROM NOW ON BANNED!!!!!!!!

Tony. Hawk certainly has no BUST in him.

The fear we all must respect though, is injury. A crippling injury that turns his amazing potential for us to much less or nothing.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 11:00 AM
"Obviously, A.J. is the most intensive negotiation," Brandt said. "Unfortunately, there's no way of controlling when things happen and how things shake out in (the first) round.

"In a perfect world, you'd like to clear the deck and have a couple days of pure talk and negotiations. We're trying to move toward that. We'll see what happens." Andrew Brandt

I thought the draft was on April 29th 2006, not July 22nd 2006. Brandt acts like he and the Packers have had their hands tied and were unable to talk to Hawk up until the week of training camp. Again check me if I am wrong, but the Packers finished 4-12, and they desperately need to get Hawk into camp. I am not panicking here, but Brandt is acting like a big pussy here waiting for what other teams are doing. How about being a little proactive about this pick and pulling your head out of your ass. Brandt and TT are in total control of this mess, they can put together a fair package send it to Hawks agent. In a perfect world Andy you would have signed Hawk a week ago.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:07 AM

"In a perfect world, you'd like to clear the deck and have a couple days of pure talk and negotiations. We're trying to move toward that. We'll see what happens." Andrew Brandt

I thought the draft was on April 29th 2006, not July 22nd 2006. Brandt acts like he and the Packers have had their hands tied and were unable to talk to Hawk up until the week of training camp. Again check me if I am wrong, but the Packers finished 4-12, and they desperately need to get Hawk into camp. I am not panicking here, but Brandt is acting like a big pussy here waiting for what other teams are doing. How about being a little proactive about this pick and pulling your head out of your ass. Brandt and TT are in total control of this mess, they can put together a fair package send it to Hawks agent. In a perfect world Andy you would have signed Hawk a week ago.

BANG ON - Dr. Nutz.

Packer Tradition - doesn't have to extend into OUR Scouting Dept. and Management.

It's all about new BALLS !

New ways of thinking and doing things. Is it working?

Then fix it - FAST.

NO DAM 'no Balls' excuses.