PDA

View Full Version : Draft talk time- C.J. Spiiler

red
11-08-2009, 03:26 PM
ok, time to start looking at the offseason

IMO

cj spiller should be the number one target in the draft (if a stud left tackle isn't there)

the guy is a god, great runningback, great reciever, awesome return man. guy is an all-sec track star, and he's got the feet of barry sanders. he looks like a reggie bush that is tough enough to run up the middle and find the holes

last night (while hurt) he had over 300 all purpose yards

heres some videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhzMt6MvCY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0FeJLejdk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFQfITF1oPQ&feature=fvw

he's be a great scat back, 3rd down wr, and return man

ND72
11-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Screw RB, we need the best LT or OL player in the draft.

Brohm
11-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Any kind of playmaker if a spot-on OL building block is unavailable. Unfortunately with the coaching, OL may not work out....

Partial
11-08-2009, 03:42 PM
I've never seen that kid before he looks very fast on the kickoff return, and pretty slow to me in the first highlight. Weird!

I like the back out of Alabama. He is a pretty good, well-rounded player.

I would prefer Brandon Spikes I think. He could be a manimal at ILB. He's a good blitzer and will try to rip your eyes out.

red
11-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Screw RB, we need the best LT or OL player in the draft.

the best lineman will go either 1 or 2. okung

mission
11-08-2009, 03:47 PM
spiller has instant start and stop ability... i love the guy but there's no way we get him. "just sayin"

(too good to be true)

red
11-08-2009, 03:51 PM
heres some more nice videos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU_HjK0va1k&feature=fvw

he does the reggie bush move here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzhzMt6MvCY&feature=related

heres the stop and start speed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH3AO_jvvvY&feature=related

Partial
11-08-2009, 03:52 PM
spiller has instant start and stop ability... i love the guy but there's no way we get him. "just sayin"

(too good to be true)

Where do you think he's going to be picked? We're going to be picking in the top 12 I have a hunch.

Jen Lada and I are vindicated today!

red
11-08-2009, 04:11 PM

(too good to be true)

Where do you think he's going to be picked? We're going to be picking in the top 12 I have a hunch.

i'm thinking spiller is going to shoot up boards after his performance last night on national television

i'm guessing right now he's 10-15. but after the combine he's going way up. he'll run a 4.3 and put on a show

elkopackfan
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
First 3 rounds of the draft:
O Line, O Line, and O Line.

mission
11-08-2009, 04:20 PM

(too good to be true)

i'm thinking spiller is going to shoot up boards after his performance last night on national television

i'm guessing right now he's 10-15. but after the combine he's going way up. he'll run a 4.3 and put on a show

exactly.

3irty1
11-08-2009, 09:57 PM
We'd be lucky to find an NFL ready tackle in the draft unless we suck crazy hard for the rest of the season. Possible. A RB would probably have the most impact immediately but unless he's barry sanders he'll need an OL to run behind.

Freak Out
11-09-2009, 12:09 AM
I've never seen that kid before he looks very fast on the kickoff return, and pretty slow to me in the first highlight. Weird!

I like the back out of Alabama. He is a pretty good, well-rounded player.

I would prefer Brandon Spikes I think. He could be a manimal at ILB. He's a good blitzer and will try to rip your eyes out.

Ingram.....he's not coming out next year. The guy is a damn good RB though.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2009, 12:54 AM
Plenty of good backs out there. Can be found much later than the first.

Why waste a good back behind a crappy line?

PackerPro42
11-09-2009, 06:48 PM
I really like Quizz Rodgers from Oregon State. He reminds me the most of Barry Sanders. Everytime I watch the guy, I just think WOW!!! The only downside is he's only 5'7" and might struggle against the pass rush at first. But he has all the tools to be an excellent runner in the league. He's worth keeping an eye on. And if it's worth anything, he'd likely be available later on in the draft, due to his height, and he's as impressive as Spiller IMO. That would save us a pick early on that could be used to improve our OL.

But... He's only a sophmore, so we'll have to wait a year at least.

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I really like Quizz Rodgers from Oregon State. He reminds me the most of Barry Sanders. Everytime I watch the guy, I just think WOW!!! The only downside is he's only 5'7" and might struggle against the pass rush at first. But he has all the tools to be an excellent runner in the league. He's worth keeping an eye on. And if it's worth anything, he'd likely be available later on in the draft, due to his height, and he's as impressive as Spiller IMO. That would save us a pick early on that could be used to improve our OL.

But... He's only a sophmore, so we'll have to wait a year at least.

Hey Packerpro

Nice to see ya in here; join us more often :!:

Charles Woodson
11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Ive been saying that CJ Spiller would make a terrific pick. Not only does he have crazy speed, he has potential to change the game through kick offs, punts, running and receiving.
I would love to have him and then pick an OL in rounds 2-7

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 10:22 PM
Ive been saying that CJ Spiller would make a terrific pick. Not only does he have crazy speed, he has potential to change the game through kick offs, punts, running and receiving.
I would love to have him and then pick an OL in rounds 2-7

TT has broken us all; we don't even consider free agency starters anymore :lol:

Learned helplessness

I say to get a starter on the OL so we don't feel so dam desperate in the draft

Partial
11-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I barely know any players this year. I wish I had more time for CF :(

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2009, 11:11 PM
I barely know any players this year. I wish I had more time for CF :(

That never stopped you before.

Maxie the Taxi
11-20-2009, 08:06 AM
Here's an early draft prediction I feel confident in:

TT's going to confound Packerland and pick a WR!

Jordan Shipley from Texas is the best WR in this draft and I predict he'll be a Packer next Spring, unless he rises so high on the board he'll be out of TT's reach.

Shipley reminds me of Donald Driver and Wes Welker. He's got more speed than both and more size than Welker. Plus, he's a great return man and Driver's getting up there in age.

Believe me, TT won't be able to resist this guy.

Remember, you read it here in November.

Brandon494
11-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Its silly do talk about draft when we don't even know what selection we will get. Also college football is still going on and we don't know all the players who are coming out for the draft. With that being said I would love to have Spiller on this team, he would add a change of pace back to go along with Grant plus a KR/PR. He'll be like Reggie Bush though, not a #1 back.

Brandon494
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM

Jordan Shipley from Texas is the best WR in this draft and I predict he'll be a Packer next Spring, unless he rises so high on the board he'll be out of TT's reach.

Shipley reminds me of Donald Driver and Wes Welker. He's got more speed than both and more size than Welker. Plus, he's a great return man and Driver's getting up there in age.

I know TT loves his white players but no way are we going to select a WR that high in the draft if at all. Shipley is a stud but WR is not a need right now .

red
11-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Its silly do talk about draft when we don't even know what selection we will get. Also college football is still going on and we don't know all the players who are coming out for the draft. With that being said I would love to have Spiller on this team, he would add a change of pace back to go along with Grant plus a KR/PR. He'll be like Reggie Bush though, not a #1 back.

nah, this is the fun time. we really don't know where we're picking, so you get to look at a ton of players

Smidgeon
11-20-2009, 11:30 AM

nah, this is the fun time. we really don't know where we're picking, so you get to look at a ton of players

That's the optimism I like to see: We can have anyone!! :)

sharpe1027
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM

Maybe, but he might be more like Chris Johnson. The problem with Bush is that you know he's going to bounce outside 80% of the time.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-20-2009, 04:48 PM

There is no way TT will pick Shipley in the first round. That may be the most ridiculous assertion ty has read in a long time.

And, Shipley isn't the best WR either. Benn, Bryant, Lafell, etc are better.

Shipley will be lucky to be the 5th receiver taken.

Lurker64
11-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Right now the guys I want most (that are likely to be around in the range that the Packers pick; i.e. no Eric Berry) are C.J. Spiller (RB, Clemson), Bryan Bulaga (OT, Iowa), and Arthur Jones (DT, Syracuse). Jones might be a bit of a long shot as the defensive line looks reasonably solid, and there's going to be a bunch of later round 5-techs for Thompson to have his pick of (I like Tyson Alualu out of Cal in the 2nd or 3rd, for example), but Jones is a disruptive force despite playing on a terrible team and you have to love the guy's motor.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-21-2009, 03:52 PM
Eric Berry is the next great NFL safety. Right now I'm just praying he doesn't go to the Lions. Or hell, even the NFC for that matter.

mission
11-21-2009, 05:43 PM
I'm really liking this McCluster kid from Ole Miss... he has more yards than LSU tonight (+ a TD pass on an option) ... he's a big time weapon.

red
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
if anyone hasn't seen spiller play, todays your chance

11 am central on espn against south carolina

red
11-28-2009, 09:53 AM
Eric Berry is the next great NFL safety. Right now I'm just praying he doesn't go to the Lions. Or hell, even the NFC for that matter.

ditto

kids a freak

Carolina_Packer
11-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I like Grant and Jackson for what they are, but it would be nice to have a back who can hit another gear when they reach the second level of the defense. Neither of our backs are like that. Grant is a nice one-cut back, but often can't win the battle around the corner of any defense, and when he reaches the second level of the defense, he often gets caught. He's tough, yes, but I'd love to see some speed and shiftiness at RB, and one who can catch the ball out of the backfield. Is it a greater need than OL? No. But, it is a need.

red
11-28-2009, 11:07 AM
CJ SPILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

he was brought down at the 25 on the opening kickoff, but SC was offsides.

rekick......

touchdown

digitaldean
11-28-2009, 10:17 PM
What's the Rats take on Toby Gerheart from Stanford?

He doesn't have the speed of a Spiller, but he has a brute force factor that is cool.
(over 200 yds vs. ND) He ran over ND defenders on that last drive like they were speed bumps.

Lurker64
11-28-2009, 10:34 PM
What's the Rats take on Toby Gerheart from Stanford?

He doesn't have the speed of a Spiller, but he has a brute force factor that is cool.
(over 200 yds vs. ND) He ran over ND defenders on that last drive like they were speed bumps.

ND has one of the worst rushing defenses in the nation*, but I like Gerhart even though he's probably going to have a short career. He's not a first round guy, but he could be a 2nd round guy.

*I was surprised that Notre Dame Quarterback Jimmy Clausen got assaulted last week, since if you're going to punch any Notre Dame player, you'd be best off hitting one of their LBs, since they're less likely to hit you back.

digitaldean
11-28-2009, 10:58 PM
Yes, I agree the ND rushing D was pretty rancid.

Gerhart has made a lot of Pac-10 defenses look bad though.

He may last as long as Earl Campbell who would rather run through thatn around people.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-29-2009, 03:47 AM
Yes, I agree the ND rushing D was pretty rancid.

Gerhart has made a lot of Pac-10 defenses look bad though.

He may last as long as Earl Campbell who would rather run through thatn around people.

Gerhart has not made a lot of Pac-10 defenses look bad.

Pac-10 defenses make Pac-10 defenses look bad. They don't need anybody to do it for them.

mission
11-29-2009, 09:23 AM
Gerhardt is nothing more than Touchdown Tommy Vardell...

Won't do anything in the NFL... he's a white running back, come on.

:lol:

TennesseePackerBacker
12-05-2009, 01:31 PM
Mardy Gilyard, WR Cincinnatti, Is going to make some NFL team very happy next year. Kid is a freak. He reminds me of a bigger/strong DeSean Jackson.

Zool
12-06-2009, 02:09 AM
Spiller puts up 233 on 20 carries today. Good looking back.

red
12-06-2009, 08:25 AM

and he's been hurt all year

i also watched ingram yesterday. indram seems to run hard through big giant holes that his line is making for him. it seemed pretty fitting that they compared him to emitt smith

spiller or the other hand is more like barry sanders. if a hole isn't there, he'll find another way to get yards

ingram seems to me like a guy you can find anywhere, spiller seems pretty special

of course i also thought reggie bush would be special too

Zool
12-06-2009, 12:13 PM

i also watched ingram yesterday. indram seems to run hard through big giant holes that his line is making for him. it seemed pretty fitting that they compared him to emitt smith

spiller or the other hand is more like barry sanders. if a hole isn't there, he'll find another way to get yards

ingram seems to me like a guy you can find anywhere, spiller seems pretty special

The difference between Bush and Spiller is the supporting cast. Bush played with a bunch of all-american candidates.

Partial
12-06-2009, 12:23 PM

The difference between Bush and Spiller is the supporting cast. Bush played with a bunch of all-american candidates.

True, but Bush was also the much, much, much better college player as a result. Maybe not yardage wise because there is a finite number of yards a team is going to rack up, but I've never seen a college player in the past 10 years that was as crazy quick/fast/explosive as Bush.

Peterson was the best running back but Bush was the best athlete.

That said, I have a firm "No Clemson Players" rule to supplement my "No Babies" rule. Not interested in a player from Clemson.

mission
12-06-2009, 12:25 PM

True, but Bush was also the much, much, much better college player as a result. Maybe not yardage wise because there is a finite number of yards a team is going to rack up, but I've never seen a college player in the past 10 years that was as crazy quick/fast/explosive as Bush.

Did you watch the GT / Clemson game yesterday?

Partial
12-06-2009, 12:27 PM

Nope, but heard he had an awesome game.

Bretsky
12-06-2009, 12:36 PM

That said, I have a firm "No Clemson Players" rule to supplement my "No Babies" rule. Not interested in a player from Clemson.

What am I missing ? No "Clemson" rule ?

I'm thinking of the shit draft picks and I don't remember them being from Clemson

Bossman641
12-06-2009, 12:39 PM

I'm thinking of the shit draft picks and I don't remember them being from Clemson

Donnell Washington was from Clemson

For the Bears, Gaines Adams is from Clemson, but I think Partial likes him. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

EDIT - Antuan Edwards as well.

Partial
12-06-2009, 12:40 PM

Antuan Edwards, Donnell Washington, Tye Hill, Rod Gardner and plenty of other NFL busts are from Clemson. I don't know, I just have a very negative perception of their school. Not saying it's the rule, but I personally don't get very high on their players.

mission
12-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Nope, but heard he had an awesome game.

Well the stats are nice and that's what qualifies an 'awesome game' but it's more of how he gets these yards. Defenders have very good angles on him, he flies past them ... he's bottled up inside the tackles, jukes two linebackers and instantly hits the secondary. The guy might be the only guy who I'd argue is more of an exciting back to watch than Bush was in college. Can't really explain it, you have to see it yourself. He makes 3 yard losses, 5 yard gains.

I think he'll go top 15 ... :(

mission
12-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Antuan Edwards, Donnell Washington, Tye Hill, Rod Gardner and plenty of other NFL busts are from Clemson. I don't know, I just have a very negative perception of their school. Not saying it's the rule, but I personally don't get very high on their players.

Yeah, that's generally the stereotype with Clemson players although I think it's more focused on their defensive players that have came out and done nothing. Kind of like the old Jeff Tedford QBs can't play in the NFL ...

Wasn't Wayne Simmons from Clemson?

Zool
12-06-2009, 12:53 PM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=C&collegeName=Clemson&abbrFlag=0&type=school

Not exactly a who's who of NFL studs on that list. Spiller has speed in droves. If nothing else he'd be a great return man.

red
12-07-2009, 06:17 PM
wow, spiller didn't make the heisman finalist balot

and ingram made it

thats messed up IMO

Lurker64
12-08-2009, 03:12 AM
Another guy I would be really excited about seeing in Green and Gold is Jerry Hughes DE out of TCU (would project to an OLB in our defense). He's fast, smart, powerful, nasty and has a bunch of different pass rushing moves. TCU has the #1 defense in college football this season for a reason.

Though, the bust rate for picking 4-3 DEs in college and converting them to 3-4 OLBs in the pros is pretty catastrophic, so I might not want to push my luck. Hughes is just another guy (playing a position other than OT) that I like.

red
12-08-2009, 09:17 AM
Another guy I would be really excited about seeing in Green and Gold is Jerry Hughes DE out of TCU (would project to an OLB in our defense). He's fast, smart, powerful, nasty and has a bunch of different pass rushing moves. TCU has the #1 defense in college football this season for a reason.

Though, the bust rate for picking 4-3 DEs in college and converting them to 3-4 OLBs in the pros is pretty catastrophic, so I might not want to push my luck. Hughes is just another guy (playing a position other than OT) that I like.

i like him too

and i've seen a few mocks that have us taking both players in the first 2 rounds.

how great would that be?

too bad we almost have to draft a tackle

red
12-27-2009, 07:47 PM
last chance to see the greatness that is spiller in college

chris johnson + reggie bush= cj spiller

red
02-08-2010, 07:25 PM
there's still hope B

its been awhile, but someone out there still has faith

http://sundaykickoff.com/round1.htm

Bretsky
02-08-2010, 07:40 PM
there's still hope B

its been awhile, but someone out there still has faith

http://sundaykickoff.com/round1.htm

too good to be true :!:

Brandon494
02-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't see any reason why he wouldn't fall to us with the 23rd pick. I can't really see any teams in front of us picking a RB with their #1 pick. I also wouldn't mind if we got Best if CJ was already taken.

Maxie the Taxi
02-08-2010, 08:44 PM
I don't see TT picking Spiller or Best.

1) We're a passing team. :(

2) If TT picked one to fill a "Percy Harvin"-type role, I believe we'd wind up with a poor man's Percy Harvin. Do either of them have receiver's hands?

3) If Spiller is really as good as Harvin, how could other teams (like Seattle, Miami) pass him by?

4) How could the Packers pass on pass rush guys like Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen and Brandon Graham to get him if he's still available at #23?

Brandon494
02-08-2010, 09:20 PM

2) If TT picked one to fill a "Percy Harvin"-type role, I believe we'd wind up with a poor man's Percy Harvin. Do either of them have receiver's hands?

3) If Spiller is really as good as Harvin, how could other teams (like Seattle, Miami) pass him by?

4) How could the Packers pass on pass rush guys like Sergio Kindle, Everson Griffen and Brandon Graham to get him if he's still available at #23?

1) Yes we are a passing team which is more of a reason why we need a recieving threat out of the backfield.

2) Spiller has great hands for a running back and could line up in the slot for us. I'm sure he doesn't run routes as well as Harvin but could be used in the same role, especially as a kick returner.

3) Miami has Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams at RB and I think #6 and #14 picks are too high for Seattle to pick Spiller.

4) Because Spiller is a multi-threat player who can play special teams, catch passes out of the backfield, and has homerun speed which are all things we need. Also think we well be bringing back Kampman which would make it more unlikely to use a 1st rounder on a pass rusher.

I've heard of scouts say he could be the next Chris Johnson. I don't know about that but I think he could be a Leon Washington type player for us.

Joemailman
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM
CBS has 2 mock drafts. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

One has Spiller going to Seattle at #14. The other has Spiller dropping to # 28. Personally, I think Seattle would take him. They desperately need some explosiveness in that offense. If he slips by Seattle, there could be some teams looking to trade up to grab him. I don't think he'll fall to #28.

Bretsky
02-08-2010, 09:34 PM

One has Spiller going to Seattle at #14. The other has Spiller dropping to # 28. Personally, I think Seattle would take him. They desperately need some explosiveness in that offense. If he slips by Seattle, there could be some teams looking to trade up to grab him. I don't think he'll fall to #28.

Maybe Teddy can pick up an extra draft pick to trade down and use it to draft McCluster :idea:

Lurker64
02-08-2010, 09:39 PM

Maybe Teddy can pick up an extra draft pick to trade down and use it to draft McCluster :idea:

I'd like to see McCluster in Green and Gold, but I really don't see him going in the first two rounds. He'll probably go in the fourth, but someone who is totally in love with him might grab him in the third.

mission
02-08-2010, 09:42 PM

I'd like to see McCluster in Green and Gold, but I really don't see him going in the first two rounds. He'll probably go in the fourth, but someone who is totally in love with him might grab him in the third.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. I'd hate to reach for him in the 2nd (especially if he impresses at combine) but I could see it happening with another team... early 3rd even.

Brandon494
02-09-2010, 04:25 PM
You guys do realize McCluster is 20 pounds lighter than Darren Sproles and Gary Wolfe who I believe are the two smallest RBs in the league. He does have major talent but I'm not sure if he could take the punishment of the NFL.

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 05:11 PM

1) Yes we are a passing team which is more of a reason why we need a recieving threat out of the backfield.

2) Spiller has great hands for a running back and could line up in the slot for us. I'm sure he doesn't run routes as well as Harvin but could be used in the same role, especially as a kick returner.

3) Miami has Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams at RB and I think #6 and #14 picks are too high for Seattle to pick Spiller.

4) Because Spiller is a multi-threat player who can play special teams, catch passes out of the backfield, and has homerun speed which are all things we need. Also think we well be bringing back Kampman which would make it more unlikely to use a 1st rounder on a pass rusher.

I've heard of scouts say he could be the next Chris Johnson. I don't know about that but I think he could be a Leon Washington type player for us.

All good arguments. If there were a way to draft Spiller and at the same time fill our other needs, I wouldn't mind having him on the team and I might draft him if I were TT. The problem is TT is drafting and I don't think TT will draft a running back that high. Just my opinion.

Look at 2006, a strong year for running backs, TT didn't pick a RB, though he could have had Laurence Maroney, DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai, LenDale White, Maurice Jones-Drew, Brian Calhoun, Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, or Jerome Harrison.

Look at 2007, a strong year for RB's. He could have traded up 4 picks and got Marshawn Lynch. He passed on Chris Henry, waiting until the 31st pick in the 2nd round to get Brandon Jackson. By the way, most mock drafts in 2007 had the Packers drafting Marshawn Lynch.

Look at 2008, a very, very strong year for RB's. TT passed on Felix Jones (arguably a player very similar to Spiller), Rashard Mendenhall, Chris Jones (arguably a player Spiller can only hope to be), Matt Forte and Ray Rice. In fact, he didn't even pick a running back that year. His first pick was Jordy Nelson. Arguably that was like picking Jordan Shipley over Spiller.

Last year he didn't pick a RB either.

For those of us who hung on our seats waiting for TT to pick a RB with talent, these were some very, very frustrating years! :(

This year I think is another strong year for running backs, but -- if TT decides to pick a RB -- I see him passing on Spiller and Best and waiting to pick up a guy like Ryan Mathews or Montario Hardesty. If he waits too long, though, he'll be shit out of luck.

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on TT taking a WR like Damian Williams or Shipley over Spiller or any of the big name RB's. Why? Because TT and McStubby like guys who are good receivers first and good runners second.

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 05:12 PM
You guys do realize McCluster is 20 pounds lighter than Darren Sproles and Gary Wolfe who I believe are the two smallest RBs in the league. He does have major talent but I'm not sure if he could take the punishment of the NFL.

I agree with you, no chance the Pack takes McCluster.

mission
02-09-2010, 05:51 PM

I agree with you, no chance the Pack takes McCluster.

Oops, I just kind of responded to this in the other thread. :D

4th round or up, I'd be fine with... not sure it's a TT pick tho...

Lurker64
02-09-2010, 06:20 PM

However, McCluster was a starting tailback (not a WR or kick returner) out of the I-Formation, in the SEC, with 109 and 181 touches running the ball over the past two years (compare 194, 141 for Jahvid Best; 116, 216 for C.J. Spiller; or say 18, 188 for the last two years of Brandon Jackson's college career).

He's tiny, but he's shown (to my satisfaction, at least) that he's not going to be a guy who has to be limited to 5 touches a game. A guy with 225 touches at RB over 13 games in the SEC probably isn't a huge injury risk.

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 06:51 PM
These are all great players, no doubt. The problem I have is TT's mindset. (And, to the extent he has influence, McStubby's mindset.)

When has TT ever picked a guy like Spiller, or McCluster, or Jones, or Antonio Brown? We used to call these guys scatbacks in the old days.

Maybe he'll break with habit, but I don't see it.

Brandon494
02-09-2010, 07:35 PM

However, McCluster was a starting tailback (not a WR or kick returner) out of the I-Formation, in the SEC, with 109 and 181 touches running the ball over the past two years (compare 194, 141 for Jahvid Best; 116, 216 for C.J. Spiller; or say 18, 188 for the last two years of Brandon Jackson's college career).

He's tiny, but he's shown (to my satisfaction, at least) that he's not going to be a guy who has to be limited to 5 touches a game. A guy with 225 touches at RB over 13 games in the SEC probably isn't a huge injury risk.

The kid has talent and a 160 pound RB might work in the college football, BUT as good as the SEC is, its still not the NFL. He would be a huge liabilty as a blocker as well. I wouldnt mind drafting in the 3rd or 4th round mainly as a return man but 2nd round is alittle too high for me.

Brandon494
02-09-2010, 07:37 PM
These are all great players, no doubt. The problem I have is TT's mindset. (And, to the extent he has influence, McStubby's mindset.)

When has TT ever picked a guy like Spiller, or McCluster, or Jones, or Antonio Brown? We used to call these guys scatbacks in the old days.

Maybe he'll break with habit, but I don't see it.

Hey, he broke one of his habits last draft by trading up to select Clay Matthews so anything is possible. :)

RashanGary
02-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Bryan Buluga round 1
Kyle Wilson round 2

Superbowl here we come!!

Maxie the Taxi
02-09-2010, 08:06 PM
Bryan Buluga round 1
Kyle Wilson round 2

Superbowl here we come!!

I could actually live with that draft. If Bulaga is as good as advertised though, he'll never last to the 23rd pick.

red
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Bryan Buluga round 1
Kyle Wilson round 2

Superbowl here we come!!

I could actually live with that draft. If Bulaga is as good as advertised though, he'll never last to the 23rd pick.

yeah he's moved way up the last month or so

right now it looks like he's the #2 tackle in the draft.

he might not make it out of the top 10 unless he has a bad combine and senior day

Brandon494
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Bryan Buluga round 1
Kyle Wilson round 2

Superbowl here we come!!

That would be a great draft but Buluga is not making it out of the top 15 and Kyle Wilson will not make it out of the 1st round.

Fritz
02-10-2010, 03:51 PM

You just have to trust me and Bretsky. We have a track record. We know what we're talking about.

Smidgeon
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM

You just have to trust me and Bretsky. We have a track record. We know what we're talking about.

So who does have the best track record in predicting the GB draft picks? Since I wasn't around the site last spring, I don't know who is full of hot air (in this aspect as opposed to in general) and who has a preternatural feel for it. Are you playing straight when you say it's you and Bretsky or are you posturing?

Brandon494
02-10-2010, 04:07 PM

I believe you, this kid has talent. He just has to prove he can take the punishment of the NFL with his small frame.

I didn't post on this board as much I as do since I got ban from scout.com forum by the TT hating admin, but in my mock draft last season I guessed 3 picks right with BJ Raji, Meredith, and Q. Johnson.

Not trying to say I know everything but I think I have a good eye for talent and CJ Spiller could seriously make a Percy Harvin impact as a rookie.

get louder at lambeau
02-10-2010, 04:14 PM
in my mock draft last season I guessed 3 picks right with BJ Raji, Meredith, and Q. Johnson.

Not trying to say I know everything but I think I have a good eye for talent and CJ Spiller could seriously make a Percy Harvin impact as a rookie.

Really? All in one final mock, not scattered throughout your v1.0 thru v245.7 mocks? In the right rounds too? If so, that's pretty damn impressive. :worship:

Brandon494
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
in my mock draft last season I guessed 3 picks right with BJ Raji, Meredith, and Q. Johnson.

Really? All in one final mock, not scattered throughout your v1.0 thru v245.7 mocks? In the right rounds too? If so, that's pretty damn impressive. :worship:

Yea all in one draft even though I picked Meredith in the 2nd round instead of the 5th round. :lol: The only two guys I picked in the right round.

Brandon494
02-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Surprised I wasnt block from the site but I found my out mock draft from last year.

Posted: 4/10/2009 1:46 AM

Brandon's 2009 Packers Mock Draft version 1.1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you guys think, I mainly drafted on need and not BPA but I would be pretty happy with this draft.

9 Green Bay Packers- BJ Raji, DT Boston College
(Pickett is not getting any younger and DT is the most important position in the 3-4)

NFL.com Analysis

Positives: Flashes rare burst off the snap for a man his size and can penetrate into the backfield and disrupt the play without necessarily making the tackle. ... Good strength and mass at the point of attack to create a pile. ... Good short-area lateral quickness. ... Experienced. Missed the 2007 season due to academics, but leaves BC with 38 career starts. ... Locates the ball quickly and works to make the play. ... At his best lining up at the nose, though he flashes the initial burst off the snap to be effective as the under-tackle in the 4-3 alignment. ... Strong enough to pull down ballcarriers with just his arms. ... Arguably the single-most dominant player during the week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Marginal height for the position. ... Only adequate to shed blocks due to his short arms and lack of sustained quickness. ... Rare quickness in confined space, but lacks the speed to sustain and struggles to make an impact outside of the guard box. ... Flashes the burst off the snap for the three-technique (under tackle in the 4-3 alignment), but is only a marginal pass rusher. ... Relies on his initial burst off the snap and an occasional spin move to pressure. ... Reliable tackler, but lacks the balance and lateral quickness to break down and make the tackle in space. ... Most effective when operating as part of a rotation. ... Maturity is a concern. ... Has struggled with his weight, playing in 2006 at more than 350 pounds. ... Was suspended for the first half of the Clemson game in 2006 for throwing a punch at a Central Michigan player. ... Missed the entire 2007 season due to academics.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

41 Green Bay Packers- Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
(with the RT position still a question mark Meredith is a solid tackle who can step right in)

Analysis

Positives: Good height with long arms and an athletic build, typical of top-tier left tackles. Adequate punch, and will extend his arms and get his hands on the numbers to keep defenders at bay. Gets to linebackers at the second level very well and hits the moving target. Able to adjust to oncoming defenders in space. Positions himself to seal the edge using quick feet and good hand placement. Can cut-block ends on his side to give the quarterback a lane on quick throws.

Negatives: A bit slow to move his feet at times, relying on his length too much. Other times he drops back too far, allowing the end to twist inside untouched. Plays a bit tall in pass protection. Struggles to reach down to block to the guard when he doesn't explode from his stance. Could sustain blocks better in space.

73 Green Bay Packers- Paul Kruger, DE/OLB, Utah
(Adds depth to OLB and could be a future starter. Maybe next Kampman? )

Analysis

Positives: Tall with a fairly developed upper body and the frame to add another 10-15 pounds of muscle without losing speed. Relentless as a pass rusher, works hard to attack the passer in or outside the pocket. Gets under his man's pads to push him into the quarterback. Overwhelms backs and tight ends in pass protection. Nice straight-line and closing speed. Flashes explosiveness as a tackler and has the length to secure. Also hustles down the line and chases ballcarriers downfield. Good backfield awareness and lateral agility to knock down passes and keep containment on reverses, run plays and bootlegs. Very good changing direction in space and can drop fluidly. Effective playing upright as a 3-4 rush linebacker due to his length, hustle and athleticism. Handles coverage responsibilities, staying with backs in the flat and on wheel routes. Breaks down and drops his hips in space better than you'd expect for his size. Mature player with an excellent motor.

Negatives: Must continue to build strength throughout his body. Plays too tall at times, allowing better offensive tackles to latch on and take him out of the play. Has not yet mastered how to rip off blocks at the line. Needs more pass rush moves, relies on a bull rush that was effective at Utah but might not be against stronger NFL tackles. Will be a 23-year-old rookie with just two years of college football experience.

Compares To: AARON KAMPMAN, Green Bay -- Kruger is a perfect complement for a team that likes a strong work ethic in a player. There might be bigger, faster and stronger defensive linemen in the draft, but Kruger has enough versatility in his game to put his hand down in a 4-3 alignment or stand up in a 3-4 formation. Kampman has had a good run without having superstar athletic skills. Give Kruger a year or two to adapt and he could be a big hit.

83 Green Bay Packers (from NY Jets)- Victor Harris, CB, Virginia Tech
(Woodson and Harris getting older we pick up a CB with a ton of pontenial to groom. Also a excellent SP team with KR skills)

Analysis

Positives: Natural playmaker. ... Versatile athlete with the skills to help at multiple positions. ... Alert zone defender. ... Reads the quarterback's eyes and closes quickly on the ball. ... Reliable open-field tackler who flashes explosiveness as a hitter. ... Willing to dirty his jersey against the run. ... Good lateral agility to elude blockers and will come up aggressively in run support. ... At least adequate hip flexibility and straight-line speed. ... Natural hands for the interception. ... Can track the ball over either shoulder. ... Good leaping ability and times his leaps well. ... Can highpoint passes and shows the strong hands to snatch passes out of the air. ... Reliable hands as a returner. ... Good vision and burst as a returner.

Negatives: Might lack the hip flexibility and straight-line speed for man coverage. ... Inconsistent press technique and lacks the burst to keep up with faster receivers if he misses his initial punch. ... Likes to go for the intimidating hit and will occasionally fail to wrap up properly when dropping his shoulder into the ballcarrier. ... Plays a flashy, emotional game and can get carried away on the field, drawing penalties.

109 Green Bay Packers- Vance Walker, DE/DT, Georgia Tech
(adds depth to the D-line and would make a solid DE in the 3-4)

Analysis

Positives: Flashes initial quickness off the snap. ... Locates the football quickly and has the short-area burst to close. ... Has the upper-body strength and is effective enough with his hands to rip off his man and pressure the quarterback or corral backs in the hole. ... Short, squatty build with long arms that helps him hold up against double-team blocks and in short-yardage situations due to his natural leverage advantage. ... Good lower-body strength to push the pocket. ... Uses his hands to get off blocks up front to get to the ball. ... Hustles downfield and chases down the line to help his teammates.

Negatives: Too short and lacks the girth to fit some defensive systems. ... Must prove himself quick enough to beat NFL interior linemen one-on-one. ... Impressive statistics inflated by the aggressive blitzing and stunting Georgia Tech defensive philosophy. ... Seems to guess at the snap count often, leading to instances when he's the first lineman off the ball, and others where he's the last. ... Lacks a variety of moves as a pass rusher.

145 Green Bay Packers- Glenn Coffee, RB, Alabama
(complete RB who is a nice fit for our zone blocking scheme)

Analysis

Positives: Well-built athlete. A bit of a slasher. Sees the hole and shows surprising burst to it, considering his height. Can make defenders miss in the open field, but seems to prefer physically taking them on at times. Lowers his shoulder into the defender and looks to intimidate. Runs with a chip on his shoulder. Good acceleration through the second level of the defense and into the open field. At least adequate straight-line speed. Good vision at the second level for the cutback. Experienced receiver out of the backfield. Good upper-body strength and effort as a pass blocker. Has been a weight room monster since high school. Has matured during his college career, and is now a faith-driven leader and sought-after speaker in the community.

Negatives: Has a bit of an odd build for a running back. Thin hips, and though well built he lacks the bulk in his core and lower body that scouts prefer for a power runner. Runs a bit upright, which just adds to the concern regarding his build and power-running. Likes to run over defenders, but too often goes down on contact. Suspended for four games in 2007 as part of an Alabama textbook scandal. Redshirted 2006 with a knee injury.

182 Green Bay Packers- Quinn Johnson, FB, LSU
(big time blocker with reliable hands out of the backfield. Solid SP player as well)

Analysis

Positives: Compact, thick build with good arm length. Lines up in the I-formation and as an H-back. Lowers his shoulder, delivers a good pop and brings his hips against linebackers in the hole. Can be a missile when decisive on who he will hit. Willing special teamer with good straight-line speed for his size.

Negatives: Only adequate height for the position. Lacks flexibility needed to adjust to linebackers and safeties at the second level. Likes to hit his target, but fails to use his hands to ride him out of the play or sustain the block. Hesitates to find a target at times when no one comes into his area. Very inconsistent hands out of the backfield; not a natural receiver. Lacks elusiveness in the open field, although his size makes him tough for defensive backs to bring down. Will hit, but usually not wrap, returners in the open field.

187 Green Bay Packers (from Saints)- Cornelius Lewis, OT/G, Tennessee St
(Adds depth to the O-line and comes from a football family)

Analysis

Positives: Dominant player at this level. Athletic frame capable of adding at least another 10-15 pounds of mass without a significant loss of quickness. Good lateral quickness and balance for pass protection. Athletic enough to project to a guard in a zone-blocking scheme. Can get to the second level. Physical and tenacious when blocking at the second level. Good upper and lower body strength to drive defenders off the ball. Cognizant blocker who looks to help his teammates. Accurate deep snapper. Good bloodlines. His father, Cecil, Sr., played strong safety for two seasons with the Dallas Cowboys and his younger brother, Cam, is Tim Tebow's backup at Florida.

Negatives: Questionable level of competition. Good strength at this level, but may lack the power at this time to contribute early in a drive blocking system. Surrounded by potential NFL talent at running back (Javarris Williams) and a mobile quarterback.

218 Green Bay Packers- Brian Toal, FB/OLB, Boston College
(Has the talent, only question can he stay healthy? Worth the 7th round pick)

Analysis

Positives: Intelligent, instinctive, active linebacker with good straight-ahead speed. Strong in the upper and lower bodies. Plays with wild abandon; is willing to blow up fullbacks in the hole or blockers on the outside so his teammates can make the play. Scrapes down the line well, avoids trash inside and uses his hands to shed receivers to shut down quick screens. Effective blitzer due to his hustle, closing speed and secure tackling. Gets deep in his drops and closes quickly on receivers in his zone. Strong short-yardage runner, keeps his legs churning inside to get the first down or score. Experienced special teams coverage unit performer bringing determination, strength and hustle. Outside protector on punts.

Negatives: A bit smaller than scouts would like at linebacker, but adequate for a fullback. A bit stiff in the hips, and can be out-quicked by NFL receivers and running backs in space when caught leaning for the tackle. Needs to lower his pad level as a runner and secure the ball with two hands. Used mostly as a runner at fullback, and must prove he can be a receiver and sustain as a lead blocker. Medical check required due to major neck/shoulder injury issues. His constant search for contact makes his injury issues especially problematic.