PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want Crabtree over Raji now?

Partial
11-08-2009, 09:36 PM
I've concluded that Raji doesn't really fit our scheme well. He's not a good enough run stuffer to play NT, and he isn't quick or long enough to excel at end.

Crabtree on the other hand is starting to put together a nice couple of games and is looking to be the real deal. He seems like kind of a prick but he sure can play.

denverYooper
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
I've concluded that Raji doesn't really fit our scheme well. He's not a good enough run stuffer to play NT, and he isn't quick or long enough to excel at end.

Crabtree on the other hand is starting to put together a nice couple of games and is looking to be the real deal. He seems like kind of a prick but he sure can play.

NO.

Raji got some push today, and I thought his play was one of the brighter spots of the day with a couple of tackles and an assist. He'll continue to get better as he gets more live reps.

At the end of the day today, though, neither helped their team win against "bad" teams.

rbaloha1
11-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Initially wanted Crabby. Agreed with TT's analysis that good big men are tougher to find than good little guys.

Lets wait on Raji. Although think Crabby is another Fitzgerald.

The Shadow
11-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I certainly want Raji over Crabtree.
Any day of the week.

gex
11-08-2009, 10:52 PM
If the game is won in the trenches then I'm happy with Raj.
I think the next draft and the one after should be all linemen. :D

Brandon494
11-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Crabtree is no where near the next Fitzgerald.

Raji is only a rookie and its foolish to judge him so early. We also have enough WRs on this team, Crabtree would solve none of our current problems we have on the team.

wist43
11-08-2009, 11:27 PM
Raji should be a hell of a player... the defense as a whole just has too many miscast players, and it seems Capers is intent on fitting square pegs in round holes... I thought he was smarter than that, but apparently not, lol :D

Brohm
11-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Raji is doing alright, just getting back up and running now that is ankle is sufficiently healed. With Crabtree on this team, we would be wondering why we wasted our pick on a receiver who is not getting the ball because our QB is on his back too much.

Partial
11-08-2009, 11:51 PM
My point is Raji is miscast. He isn't a run defending nose tackle. He's a penetrating DT. He isn't long, fast or quick enough to play DE in our defense, either.

He'd be a really good three tech next to Pickett in the old D. It's kind of a shame to be honest. That line of Jenkins, Raji, Pickett and Kamp looks pretty darn good.

Brohm
11-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Not sure about miscast yet, but that line would look good. CMIII as a blitzing/covering SLB. I think it could go either direction.

Waldo
11-09-2009, 12:20 AM
My point is Raji is miscast. He isn't a run defending nose tackle. He's a penetrating DT. He isn't long, fast or quick enough to play DE in our defense, either.

He'd be a really good three tech next to Pickett in the old D. It's kind of a shame to be honest. That line of Jenkins, Raji, Pickett and Kamp looks pretty darn good.

How much 3-4 do you think that we run?

Partial
11-09-2009, 12:24 AM

Probably 50%. I know what you're going to say. He's a beast in the 2-5. Well, maybe he will, but I haven't seen it yet.

Waldo
11-09-2009, 12:47 AM

Probably 50%. I know what you're going to say. He's a beast in the 2-5. Well, maybe he will, but I haven't seen it yet.

He looked like our best interior lineman today in 2-4 sets.

They doubled him when Dom didn't blitz up the middle, he got off the blocks, and he got real good push up the middle.

If Kamp, Clay, and Barnett couldn't catch Freeman despite having what looked like easy sacks, no way Raji can. Freeman IMO looked GREAT in the pocket. The only reason he had "all day" is because he made it so.

Raji looked better than he has yet in 3-4 sets too. He had a great TFL from the nose spot.

channtheman
11-09-2009, 02:47 AM
All of a sudden we only give rookies half a season to either

A). Declare them a bust
B). Declare them the second coming of one of the top receivers in the game after putting forth a couple of okay games.

Here's Crabtree's 3 games this year

Texans 5 receptions/56 yards
Colts 6 receptions/81 yards
Tennessee 3 receptions/30 yards

I would rather have Raji over that any day of the week, and to compare Crabtree to Fitzgerald who is a top receiver at this point is absolute lunacy. Add to the fact that Crabby might have character problems and Fitzgerald is a great teamate (what some might call a Packer person if he was a Packer), there is just no comparison AT ALL at this point.

EDIT: Okay, I've seriously been fucked up by this loss. Why the hell did I think the original post compared Crabby to Fitzgerald? Or did someone else somewhere and I thought that someone did that here as well? I need some more fukitol, and then off to bed.

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 06:43 AM
Crabtree IMO will be a better player
I wanted him before and I'd take him over Raji now.

The one game I watched SF he looked very fluent and natural. Nothing I've seen thus far has changed my mind.

3irty1
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Personally I didn't really want either of them.

red
11-09-2009, 07:53 AM
raji has been hurt all year, just starting to heal up

so its impossible to tell if he's a good fit or not

he was one of the lone bright spots today though

Cheesehead Craig
11-09-2009, 08:14 AM
The one game I watched SF he looked very fluent and natural. Nothing I've seen thus far has changed my mind.
A WR looking more fluid over a DT? Who would have thought. :roll:

mission
11-09-2009, 08:16 AM
he was one of the lone bright spots today though

even on plays he didnt make a tackle on, he was collapsing the pocket non stop and opening things up for everyone else.

if you have to ask the question, you probably didn't want the game...

crabtree, that's great, he might be a stud ... but it's definitely not a need right now.

MichiganPackerFan
11-09-2009, 10:54 AM
All of a sudden we only give rookies half a season to either

A). Declare them a bust
B). Declare them the second coming of one of the top receivers in the game after putting forth a couple of okay games.

Here's Crabtree's 3 games this year

Texans 5 receptions/56 yards
Colts 6 receptions/81 yards
Tennessee 3 receptions/30 yards

I would rather have Raji over that any day of the week, and to compare Crabtree to Fitzgerald who is a top receiver at this point is absolute lunacy. Add to the fact that Crabby might have character problems and Fitzgerald is a great teamate (what some might call a Packer person if he was a Packer), there is just no comparison AT ALL at this point.

EDIT: Okay, I've seriously been fucked up by this loss. Why the hell did I think the original post compared Crabby to Fitzgerald? Or did someone else somewhere and I thought that someone did that here as well? I need some more fukitol, and then off to bed.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_nHw8Du4cpAM/SBqL9On58oI/AAAAAAAAAjQ/SC-pxCke_x8/s400/fukitol.jpg

MadtownPacker
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
Can I get a 90 prescription for those MPF?

Raji is fine. The only fatboy on the team I have a problem with is Mike McStubby.

Brandon494
11-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Raji is fine. The only fatboy on the team I have a problem with is Mike McStubby.

+1

g4orce
11-09-2009, 11:14 AM
Can I get a 90 prescription for those MPF?

If McCarthy lost weight, would you hate him as much?

MadtownPacker
11-09-2009, 11:18 AM
If McCarthy lost weight, would you hate him as much?
Even more soo because that means he was exercising his fat ass off instead of working on his HC skills.

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 07:00 PM
A WR looking more fluid over a DT? Who would have thought. :roll:

thanks for the creative thoughts

Freak Out
11-09-2009, 07:10 PM
I'll take Raji over Crabs. Defense wins Championships. There is no doubt we need to add a speedster returner WR-RB though....hopefully we add one in next years draft.

Smidgeon
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
There is no doubt we need to add a speedster returner WR-RB though....hopefully we add one in next years draft.

When do we start the "Bring back Bill Schroeder" thread?

Disclaimer: Just kidding.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Crabtree IMO will be a better player
I wanted him before and I'd take him over Raji now.

In what languages?

Brandon494
11-09-2009, 07:52 PM
I'll take Raji over Crabs. Defense wins Championships. There is no doubt we need to add a speedster returner WR-RB though....hopefully we add one in next years draft.

Agreed, we really don't have any speed on this team.

Seriously who is the faster player on the Packers? Jennings?

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Twill is fast. Woodson is fast.

Jordy is pretty darn fast. Not fluid fast though.

Thought Grant ran a fast 40...somebody posted his 40 time..thought it was in the 4.4 range.

red
11-09-2009, 07:55 PM

nick collins by far

he ran a 4.36 at the combine and at one point also clocked a 4.28

jennings ran a 4.42 at the combine

t-will actually ran a 4.59 at the combine (he must have fallen down somewhere)

wood was a 4.4 guy

jordy ran a 4.51

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 08:01 PM

I thought Tramon was.

Brandon494
11-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Your right I didnt even think about Collins. I don't think he still has that 4.3 speed he had as a rookie though, seems he has put on a few pounds over the years.

red
11-09-2009, 08:08 PM
you know who might have been the fastest if it wasn't for mike stock last year

john ryan

dude had freakish speed

Smidgeon
11-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Your right I didnt even think about Collins. I don't think he still has that 4.3 speed he had as a rookie though, seems he has put on a few pounds over the years.

I think he's every bit as fast as he was. I just think we don't notice it nearly that much because you don't see people run by him. I think the only times he gets beat in a foot race is when the other guy has been spotted fifteen yards, and then sometimes when the field is long enough he still catches up. This isn't me blowing smoke. He's one of the players that I like, and I like watching him play.

Freak Out
11-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Has SF lost every game since they signed the guy? Could be some bad mojo working.....

dahammer001
11-12-2009, 12:43 PM
Twill is fast. Woodson is fast.

Jordy is pretty darn fast. Not fluid fast though.

Thought Grant ran a fast 40...somebody posted his 40 time..thought it was in the 4.4 range.

I have heard several packer fans make statements that Ryan Grant is slow, That's complete BS. When anyone who is capable of running the 40 yard dash in 4.4 seconds could not possbly be considered slow. If you think he"s slow go out and try to run a 4.4 forty, and get back to me with your results. Terrell Davis once ran for 2000 yards, and he ran a 4.7 forty. Some fans need to really do your research before you start calling certain players slow.

Waldo
11-12-2009, 12:47 PM

nick collins by far

wood was a 4.4 guy

jordy ran a 4.51

Did you see Wood catch Johnny Knox (legit <4.30) from behind week 1. Loco.

We cut the fastest guy in camp. Tracy Porter (CB) was a 4.3 flat guy.

T Will's story is weird. I've talked to his agent (very long story, but legit); he used to post at a different message board and I've talked to him on the phone, and his agent's story for his 40 time was cross checked by another scout and it checks out. He was not invited to the combine. He actually was a star CB in college, led the nation in PBU's his senior year, but a small school. At his pro day, he ran on a bad wet track and didn't have the correct type of shoes, and got that number. He asked to run again, on grass, but most teams left and had no interest. The Packers were one of the few teams that chose to stay to witness the retest (Houston was another, who he originally signed with). And he ran a 4.4 flat on damp grass (Meaning he should be a 4.3 something on a track or combine fake grass). His "official" 40 time floating around is way off. On the field he's caught a bunch of speedsters from behind (Harvin recently), and most receivers acknowledge him as the team's fastest defender.

Jordy's speed is weird. Vertical, 10 yd split, 20 yd split, and 40 time are all related. Each is a measure of part of acceleration from zero to top speed. If you run forward though the numbers, with Jordy you reach the conclusion that he isn't actually that fast at accelerating, but the later part of the run (20-40) he keeps accelerating. In other words a long strider with sprinter speed.

I would wager that the fastest guy on the team over the first 20 yards, the quickest, is Tramon (though Clay is shockingly good, like good CB good, faster than AD good, with quickness), and the guy that hits the highest number on a radar gun on a run from one end of the field to the other is Jordy.

dahammer001
11-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Brandon494 wrote:
Freak Out wrote:

nick collins by far

wood was a 4.4 guy

jordy ran a 4.51

Did you see Wood catch Johnny Knox (legit <4.30) from behind week 1. Loco.

We cut the fastest guy in camp. Tracy Porter (CB) was a 4.3 flat guy.

T Will's story is weird. I've talked to his agent (very long story, but legit); he used to post at a different message board and I've talked to him on the phone, and his agent's story for his 40 time was cross checked by another scout and it checks out. He was not invited to the combine. He actually was a star CB in college, led the nation in PBU's his senior year, but a small school. At his pro day, he ran on a bad wet track and didn't have the correct type of shoes, and got that number. He asked to run again, on grass, but most teams left and had no interest. The Packers were one of the few teams that chose to stay to witness the retest (Houston was another, who he originally signed with). And he ran a 4.4 flat on damp grass (Meaning he should be a 4.3 something on a track or combine fake grass). His "official" 40 time floating around is way off. On the field he's caught a bunch of speedsters from behind (Harvin recently), and most receivers acknowledge him as the team's fastest defender.

Jordy's speed is weird. Vertical, 10 yd split, 20 yd split, and 40 time are all related. Each is a measure of part of acceleration from zero to top speed. If you run forward though the numbers, with Jordy you reach the conclusion that he isn't actually that fast at accelerating, but the later part of the run (20-40) he keeps accelerating. In other words a long strider with sprinter speed.

I would wager that the fastest guy on the team over the first 20 yards, the quickest, is Tramon (though Clay is shockingly good, like good CB good, faster than AD good, with quickness), and the guy that hits the highest number on a radar gun on a run from one end of the field to the other is Jordy.

Great article.

Partial
11-12-2009, 01:36 PM
I would put the chances that Clay Matthews is faster than Peterson at about 1 in 100,000,000. "So you're telling me there's chance!"

Cheesehead Craig
11-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Crabtree's 0-4 while he's been on the 49ers roster. He's a loser and they should trade him.

Smidgeon
11-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I would put the chances that Clay Matthews is faster than Peterson at about 1 in 100,000,000. "So you're telling me there's chance!"

That was over short range, not long range.

cheesner
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM

That was over short range, not long range.

Mattews is FASTER than Peterson in short range.

Player 40 yd - 10 yd split

Adrian Peterson 4.40 1.53
Clay Matthews 4.58 1.49

What is amazing about this is that CM was 23lbs heavier at the combine. CM has quick twitch muscles.

3irty1
11-12-2009, 03:21 PM
In Partial's mind AP has the speed of Deon Sanders, the Moves of Barry Sanders, and the flavor of Colonel Sanders.

Man-crush happens. God damn I love Al Harris.

Partial
11-12-2009, 03:48 PM
In Partial's mind AP has the speed of Deon Sanders, the Moves of Barry Sanders, and the flavor of Colonel Sanders.

Basically. Adrian Peterson is the best player to enter the NFL in a long, long, long time.

He is football fast. I don't recall ever seeing him caught from behind in the open field when he doesn't have to cut or anything.

MJZiggy
11-12-2009, 04:28 PM

Me too, hon.

Cheesehead Craig
11-12-2009, 04:31 PM
Adrian Peterson is not won anything and is nothing but a stat whore. When his team has needed him most, he fails. He should be traded immediately.

Smidgeon
11-12-2009, 04:47 PM

Basically. Adrian Peterson is the best player to enter the NFL in a long, long, long time.

He is football fast. I don't recall ever seeing him caught from behind in the open field when he doesn't have to cut or anything.

In how long? Since LT? Since Emmitt Smith? Since Barry Sanders? Since Walter Payton? Since Gale Sayers? Since Jim Brown?

Waldo
11-12-2009, 04:49 PM

Nick Collins says hi.

(He's done it twice by my count, once the first time he played us, and once last year I believe)

Anyway, You Worship the Wrong Guy (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2957_Move_over%2C_AP%2C_make_room_for_Chris_Joh nson.html)

sharpe1027
11-12-2009, 04:59 PM

You could try watching the games.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Adrian Peterson is not won anything and is nothing but a stat whore. When his team has needed him most, he fails. He should be traded immediately.

The problem with AD is he is stuck with Bert. He needs a dynamic QB...someone like Vince Young.

Partial
11-12-2009, 05:25 PM

Nick Collins says hi.

(He's done it twice by my count, once the first time he played us, and once last year I believe)

Anyway, You Worship the Wrong Guy (http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2957_Move_over%2C_AP%2C_make_room_for_Chris_Joh nson.html)

Chris Johnson is lighting fast but I don't think he has the moves or the power of AP. He's definitely faster, though.

dahammer001
11-12-2009, 07:57 PM
Chris Johnson is capable of taking to the house on any given play. He's probably tougher than we think.....

cheesner
11-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Yep. Nick Collins caught AP from behind. NOBODY has ever caught Clay Matthews from behind. If AP is football fast, then CM is extra football fast. So you must mean:

Adrian Peterson was the best player to enter the NFL in a long, long, long time until Clay Matthews entered the league.

Partial
11-12-2009, 08:19 PM

Yep. Nick Collins caught AP from behind. NOBODY has ever caught Clay Matthews from behind. If AP is football fast, then CM is extra football fast. So you must mean:

Adrian Peterson was the best player to enter the NFL in a long, long, long time until Clay Matthews entered the league.

Alright I like it! I'm a huge Clay fan. Still looking for that USC #47

retailguy
11-12-2009, 09:10 PM
Anybody want Crabtree over Raji now?

No.

Partial
11-12-2009, 09:15 PM

No.

IDK man, I just don't see Raji as a great nose tackle, I see him as an awesome penetrating tackle. Pickett is playing too good to have Raji as anything other than a situational player anyway.

retailguy
11-12-2009, 09:21 PM

No.

IDK man, I just don't see Raji as a great nose tackle, I see him as an awesome penetrating tackle. Pickett is playing too good to have Raji as anything other than a situational player anyway.

I don't see Raji as anything right now. I do see Crabtree as an egotistical pain in the ass. Raji shows promise. Crabtree shows problem.

This one is EASY. Even if Raji busts.

mraynrand
11-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Nick Collins says hi.

Love watching CJ play football. Unbelievable.

SnakeLH2006
11-15-2009, 01:20 AM
Did anyone vote for Crabtree? LOL. Nice topic Partial. Once again using Partial logic as a case for overall Packer mindset.

BJ hasn't been seriously hurt (like JH) and will dominate at some point. Crabby is just that....a crabby diva. He might be good but good NFL WR's are a dime a dozen...and I don't see his speed being too good (or attitude).

Good ass interior beasts are very rare in the NFL. Raji is only a young 21. Give him time. He'll get there. He's not even close to a bust yet...so to insinuate makes you look foolish (nope too late, Partial).

Partial
11-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Did anyone vote for Crabtree? LOL. Nice topic Partial. Once again using Partial logic as a case for overall Packer mindset.

BJ hasn't been seriously hurt (like JH) and will dominate at some point. Crabby is just that....a crabby diva. He might be good but good NFL WR's are a dime a dozen...and I don't see his speed being too good (or attitude).

Good ass interior beasts are very rare in the NFL. Raji is only a young 21. Give him time. He'll get there. He's not even close to a bust yet...so to insinuate makes you look foolish (nope too late, Partial).

Raji hasn't done anything yet... He looks miscast for this system. There in lies the point. I've been saying it from day one.

Waldo
11-15-2009, 06:13 AM

Raji hasn't done anything yet... He looks miscast for this system. There in lies the point. I've been saying it from day one.

Did you watch the game last week? He looked darn good at NT when playing it. Blew up a run play in the backfield despite the best efforts of the C and G.

Bretsky
11-15-2009, 07:58 AM

Absolutely; if Crabtree doesn't have a mind explosing he'll be a much better player

esoxx
11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Crabby is just that....a crabby diva. He might be good but good NFL WR's are a dime a dozen...and I don't see his speed being too good (or attitude).

The Packers 2005 season just called and dispute this contention.

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
crabs a stud too

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2009, 02:45 PM
Crabby is just that....a crabby diva. He might be good but good NFL WR's are a dime a dozen...and I don't see his speed being too good (or attitude).

The Packers 2005 season just called and dispute this contention.

LOLLOLLOL

The Leaper
11-15-2009, 02:51 PM

Miscast?

Watch the Steelers and their 3-4...and tell me Hampton isn't a penetrator that disrupts. Granted, he's a little past his prime now, but 2-3 years ago the guy consistently had 1-2 QB pressures a game and was a regular Pro Bowler.

Raji just needs time in the league. It is such a vast difference in the trenches between college and the NFL. 21 year old kids need to gain strength and refine technique...that can take a couple years at the interior line positions.

I agree that WRs are a dime a dozen. The key is to get guys who have heart...like Driver. They don't have to have freakish athleticism to be successful if you have a capable OL and Aaron Rodgers at QB.

Besides....Crabtree hasn't shown me anything yet that would make me think he is going to be something special.

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 02:58 PM
Besides....Crabtree hasn't shown me anything yet that would make me think he is going to be something special.

No, he hasn't done a ton. But here in the SF Bay area, there are a lot of Niners games on. And the thing that impresses me is that he stepped in right away. He may not be putting up massive numbers, but he's fluid, seems to recognize zones really well, and...that's about it so far. He's a rookie who missed training camp and the first several games of the season. Yet even missing all that, he's come in and made four or five catches a game (Ty, correct me if my data's off :wink: ). My point is that a lot of WRs can't even do that their first season, even with training camp and a few games behind them.