PDA

View Full Version : Injury bug bites Browns. Again.

K-town
07-27-2006, 10:51 AM
Thursday, July 27, 2006
Browns center Bentley hurts knee first day of camp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com news services

BEREA, Ohio -- Pro Bowl center LeCharles Bentley sustained an injury to his left knee during the Browns' first 11-on-11 drill of training camp on Thursday.

Bentley got tangled in a pile of players as he was blocking on a running play for Reuben Droughns.

Bentley screamed, "No," before remaining on his knees as the Browns moved their scrimmage up the field so trainers could attend to the 6-foot-2, 309-pound player.

He stayed on the ground in a seated position for several minutes before Cleveland's medical staff immobilized his left knee and carted him to the locker room.

Bentley covered his face with a towel on the short drive to the field house as Browns players and fans looked on in shock.

The extent of Bentley's injury is not yet known.

Bentley, a five-year veteran, signed as a free agent with the Browns in March.

Talk about bad luck. Maybe the Brownies are cursed (Winslow, Baylon Edwards, etc.). It's probably all Art Modell's fault. :mrgreen:

If this injury was "destiny", glad we didn't sign him this spring.

BallHawk
07-27-2006, 11:20 AM
Ouch.

Pack0514
07-27-2006, 11:26 AM
Yeah, thats not good. That may be a lot of money down the crapper. Hopefully he's okay.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Yeah, thats not good. That may be a lot of money down the crapper. Hopefully he's okay.

Major bummer for Cleveland if he's badly hurt.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:52 AM
That really sucks!

Hate to see a good man go down so freakin' early.

New team, new HOME , new hopes all could be taken away in a heartbeat.

Terrible news maybe for the Browns. This is a team to watch this season.

My first thought was Jeff Faine. My following thought: :arrow:

Let's hope it's not "Painted Black".

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
http://images.nfl.com/photos/img9574580.jpg

LeCharles Bentley

Brown fans are just - literally sick with this news.

He wasn't able to bear any weight on the injured leg. Brown fans are hoping that it's a serious sprain or even a break in a bone rather than an ACL-MCL.

pittstang5
07-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Didn't the Browns also trade away their center they had before Bentley - Faine or something.

Double ouch!

Pack0514
07-27-2006, 01:43 PM
*****Deleted Post*****

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 01:47 PM
Didn't the Browns also trade away their center they had before Bentley - Faine or something.

Double ouch!

Yes.

I wanted Jeff Faine to be acquired by the Packers when Faine asked the Browns to be allowed to go to another team, when Bentley was acquired by the Browns as a FA .

We smashed that old prospect ( what if - Faine in Green Bay ) around here a bit yesterday.

Now this happens to Cleveland. Not the luckiest of teams.

Dabaddestbear
07-27-2006, 04:49 PM
they say it might be season ending injury on espn radio.
They have got to have the worst luck with various top players getting injured each year.

green_bowl_packer
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Done for the year.

From profootballtalk.com

POSTED 5:22 p.m. EDT, July 27, 2006

BENTLEY HAS TORN PATELLA TENDON

A league source tells us that it's "99.9 percent certain" that Browns center LeCharles Bentley has a torn patella tendon. He is expected have surgery within 24 hours and most likely will miss the entire 2006 season.

Ordinarily, we'd talk a little bit about the team's other options for replacing Bentley, who signed a big-money deal with the team on the first day of free agency after backing out of a wink-nod arrangement with the Eagles that had been negotiated prior to the "official" launch of the signing period.

We'd also take some time to comment on the possibility that karma might be to blame for the injury.

But, hey, we're on vacation. We'll leave it to whoever reports this story after us (and who doesn't give us credit for it) to deal with those details.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Done for the year.

From profootballtalk.com

POSTED 5:22 p.m. EDT, July 27, 2006

BENTLEY HAS TORN PATELLA TENDON

A league source tells us that it's "99.9 percent certain" that Browns center LeCharles Bentley has a torn patella tendon. He is expected have surgery within 24 hours and most likely will miss the entire 2006 season.

Ordinarily, we'd talk a little bit about the team's other options for replacing Bentley, who signed a big-money deal with the team on the first day of free agency after backing out of a wink-nod arrangement with the Eagles that had been negotiated prior to the "official" launch of the signing period.

We'd also take some time to comment on the possibility that karma might be to blame for the injury.

But, hey, we're on vacation. We'll leave it to whoever reports this story after us (and who doesn't give us credit for it) to deal with those details.

What an f'ing bummer for Cleveland. I thought that was a great signing...that's gotta really friggen sting.

Bretsky
07-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Also heard on ESPN that Braylond Edwards rehab from torn ACL isn't going too great and it looks like it'll be Oct be4 he's back at all

Lare
07-27-2006, 07:23 PM
Hate to be callous, but as a Packer fan is there any possible reason why I should care about this?

Bretsky
07-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I could sarcastically say the Browns could be competing with GB for a draft pick next year.

But instead I'll admit this really has no effect on the Pack.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 07:36 PM
Hate to be callous, but as a Packer fan is there any possible reason why I should care about this?

Yea, because you are also a human being I'm guessing. Although I am just guessing.

I've enjoyed your posts thus far, you seem to be a good poster but this one surprises me a tad.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 07:53 PM

I'll pick this one up.

No Lare it's your choice not to care about this if that's the way it is in you; as much it's my choice and others, for reasons personal maybe - to care.

I'm a Packer fan but I'm also an NFL fan as well. LeCharles Bentley was a hot property in the Free Agent market, and was signed very early by the Browns. He was a prized signing for the team and it's fans.

How would you or any Packer fan feel? If on day one of TC - we lost Tauscher or Hawk or Favre or Collins (try Donald Driver ) for the year with a serious leg/knee injury? It would smack me in the guts, and that is what happened to the Browns fans, when word of Bentley falling went around, and they waited for the worst news.

Peek in on their fan Forum and see for yourself the pain they feel from this loss. It's huge.

Maybe we put up something like this story because we want some good kharma.

I think we get close to something like this because we have compassion.

As a Packer fan Forum (many people now) do we have to be cold and rather indifferent to what is going on with other teams?

Not if we want to grow as football fans and human beings.

I'm not slammin' you Packer fan.

That's just the way this packer fan see's it.

GO Packers !

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 07:59 PM
This is the fallen . .

LeCharles Bentley

Thanks for that heads up Pack0514.

Fixed that up on my end.

Willard
07-27-2006, 08:32 PM
I empathize with the Cleveland fans more than I might empathize with Cowboy fans. I am more willing to feel bad if the team hasn't given me too many reasons to dislike them. Even so I felt bad when Stringer died because that is just messed up and tragic. I even felt a little (itty bitty) sorry when Rex Grossman went down again last year. Why? Because at least he seems like a gamer. I look forward to watching the Pack pummel the Bears on Sept. 10 WITH Rex Grossman because I want to beat the best team they can field!

Back to the Browns. I think the Browns fans suffered the single-most brutal f#**d up miscarriage of justice that any NFL fans have ever suffered when they lost their team. This is one of the old franchises rich with history like the Green Bay Packers. They have had more than their share of misfortune so I empathize....but I'll get over it........Go Pack!

Lare
07-27-2006, 09:00 PM
Hey I appreciate your comments everyone, but my point is that unfortunately many NFL players are going to get injured in the next few weeks, some of which will end their careers. And unfortunately some soldiers in Iraq are probably going to give their lives today to help ensure our freedom (having a son in the military I can relate). And probably several people in the electrical industry are going to die tomorrow in tragic accidents while trying to ensure our comfort in the terribly hot weather. And probably several police officers and firemen are going to lose their lives keeping us safe and secure.

Don't dislike the Browns, don't dislike Bentley. Just have a hard time feeling extra sorry for the hundreds of players on other teams who'll be getting paid millions of dollars while recuperating from football injuries this season. I have other heroes.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 09:24 PM
This is a football site. WTF! Let's talk football. Why the hell shouldn't we talk about Bentley getting injured? Because a fireman or soldier died today? Spare us the guilt trip. I'm not going to feel bad because it interests me that LeCharles Bentley got injured, and I feel for the man. If you want to talk about fallen heroes, start a friggin' thread in the Romper Room.

Willard
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't think we feel bad for the millionaire athletes who get hurt. You're right -- it comes with the territory and is one of the reasons they make so damn much money. Rather, we feel bad for fans like us who drink their glass of Kool Aid every July and convince themselves that this year will be "the year", only to have your prized free agent acquisition go down for the season in the first 15 minutes of training camp!

By the way, I hope most people understand that sports is sports, and there are other things in life that mean a bit more. Still this is the tiny little spot on the internet where we get to shoot the breeze about football.

Patler
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Should we feel more sorry for Bentley than for some lesser known player? The tendency is that we do. In reality, it probably is a more devastating situation for the less prominant player or rookie who hasn't yet had a big payday. Bentley has had the recognition and rewards. Many never get the chance because of injuries early in their careers.

I agree with whoever said they wish none were ever injured. I like to watch the good ones play against the good ones.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I don't think we feel bad for the millionaire athletes who get hurt. You're right -- it comes with the territory and is one of the reasons they make so damn much money. Rather, we feel bad for fans like us who drink their glass of Kool Aid every July and convince themselves that this year will be "the year", only to have your prized free agent acquisition go down for the season in the first 15 minutes of training camp!

By the way, I hope most people understand that sports is sports, and there are other things in life that mean a bit more. Still this is the tiny little spot on the internet where we get to shoot the breeze about football.

Solid Willard.

It really is mostly about the compassion we feel as fans - for the good and decent fans of other NFL teams.

It was certain compassion I felt as I read the comments of the Browns fans as they supported one another. First in disbelief and stunned with the news -and then acceptance and awaiting the prognosis of Bentley's leg injury.

I sensed that as fans of a franchise that has suffered terrribly of late in their proud history, they somehow knew the worst had dropped on them - again.

The fans. That is the real story here.

Pack0514
07-28-2006, 08:12 AM
This is the fallen . .

LeCharles Bentley

Thanks for that heads up Pack0514.

Fixed that up on my end.

Me Too. :smile:

BallHawk
07-28-2006, 10:04 AM
It appears he tore his patellar tendon. Man, I really feel for the Browns and their fans. And they don't have Faine now either. I was actually looking forward to the Browns playing well this season. It's such a shame. Let's just hope he can come back next year and play to the level they thought he could this season. It's like, imagine if Charles Woodson tore his ACL on the first day of camp. We would be just devastated. Ok, I'm not gonna talk anymore because I don't wanna jinx.