PDA

View Full Version : Murphy Interview

Partial
11-09-2009, 07:12 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/ic/blogs/insider/index.shtml

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM
The writer said he "perhaps" put Thompson and McCarthy on notice, but it sure sounded to me like he was solidly behind Ted, and not so solidly behind McCarthy.

mngolf19
11-09-2009, 07:27 PM
I took it as though MM's job is for TT to grade and act upon. His responsibility. And I think that is the correct way for him to look at it. As far as being negative or saying the season is over, well what would you expect him to say? I think this was all alot of nothing.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
I took it as though MM's job is for TT to grade and act upon. His responsibility. And I think that is the correct way for him to look at it. As far as being negative or saying the season is over, well what would you expect him to say? I think this was all alot of nothing.

I'll agree with this.

woodbuck27
11-09-2009, 07:45 PM
It didn't say a whole lot to me. I wanted to read that if the Packers don't have a winning season then all heads will roll and someone will be brought in with a real vision.

The Green Bay Packers have no future as it now sits. I'd like to see Murphy do something really positive and locate the right man for the job and fire Ted Thompson and MM ASAP. Then I look at what MM has to work with and ask myself this question. How much was Brett Favre really worth to the Green Bay Packers? Since Favre we are 10 W and 14 L. Brett Favre teams are 16 W and 8 L.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 07:47 PM
It didn't say a whole lot to me.

Of course he didn't. This isn't Brett Favre talking about his feelings to Greta Von Susteren. These people are professionals.

woodbuck27
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM

Of course he didn't. This isn't Brett Favre talking about his feelings to Greta Von Susteren. These people are professionals.

Then why give an interview and worse than that publish it when it says so little? Those people are professionals!? Sure. :D

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 08:00 PM

Then why give an interview and worse than that publish it when it says so little? Those people are professionals!? Sure. :D

Because that's how professionals do it.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM

So, guys like you can gripe.

Because if he didn't, you would complain about him not giving interviews.

Smidgeon
11-09-2009, 08:12 PM
How much was Brett Favre really worth to the Green Bay Packers? Since Favre we are 10 W and 14 L. Brett Favre teams are 16 W and 8 L.

Because the difference between the Vikings and the Packers sans the QBs is negligible...

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 08:17 PM
How much was Brett Favre really worth to the Green Bay Packers?

I'd say a 3rd rounder.

mngolf19
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
How much was Brett Favre really worth to the Green Bay Packers? Since Favre we are 10 W and 14 L. Brett Favre teams are 16 W and 8 L.

Because the difference between the Vikings and the Packers sans the QBs is negligible...

I'd have to disagree with you there.

Scott Campbell
11-09-2009, 08:38 PM

I think that was a tongue in cheek comment.

Fritz
11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
After MM's "it's correctable" crap today, I think he's going more for the foot-in-mouth commentary...or speak-out-of-ass commentary....

It's been correctable for about a year now, and it hasn't happened. Special teams suckage continues, the offensive line is worse, and the penalties are mounting faster than a prisoner on a woman.

mngolf19
11-09-2009, 08:47 PM

Oops. I'll get that fixed. :wink:

Smidgeon
11-09-2009, 08:50 PM

Bingo!

mraynrand
11-09-2009, 08:52 PM
the penalties are mounting faster than a prisoner on a woman.

I think that was a tongue in - er - cheek comment.

Merlin
11-09-2009, 09:05 PM
The very first response pretty much sums up the attitude of the entire organization:

Question: The season hasn't gone as way you hoped, do you think this can be saved this year?

Murphy: "Yeah, I do. I've seen enough football and been involved in the NFL long enough that I can see it happening, sure. But obviously I'm disappointed about where we are. The number one goal as an organization every year is to win, but obviously we've got half the season left, and it's really premature to do an evaluation. At the end the season, I'll sit down and see how we performed."

OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You have to wait until the END OF THE SEASON to see if the season can be saved?!?!?!?!

Maybe it's just me, maybe I am the only fan in the world who thinks that you need to evaluate every game so the season doesn't slip away on you. "I can see it happening", see what? There is such a lethargic work ethic from the front office and it trickles right down to McCarthy. Let's wait till the end of the season - yeah that strategy works well. Maybe I should become a Lions or Bucs fan, at least those teams have some heart and even though they suck, they don't put up with this complacent bullshit and are pro-active about trying to actually win football games NOW.

The realization is starting to sink in that the Packers have a "things will work themselves out, they always do" attitude with no sense of urgency. Patience is fine when you are trying to build a team, so let's wait until next year to see if this master plan works, if not, let's wait another year, it will come around, you will see.

*COUGH*

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM

LET ME GIVE THIS A SHOT

MN RB > GB
MN OL > GB

MN TE = GB TE

MN DL > GB DL
MN LB = GB LB

GB CB > MN CB
GB S = MN S

MN SPECIAL TM > GB SP TEAMS

pbmax
11-09-2009, 09:35 PM

LET ME GIVE THIS A SHOT

MN RB > GB
MN OL > GB

MN TE = GB TE

MN DL > GB DL
MN LB = GB LB

GB CB > MN CB
GB S = MN S

You forgot WRs.

Bretsky
11-09-2009, 09:48 PM

LET ME GIVE THIS A SHOT

MN RB > GB
MN OL > GB

MN TE = GB TE

MN DL > GB DL
MN LB = GB LB

GB CB > MN CB
GB S = MN S

You forgot WRs.

GB WR's > MN WR's..........but not by much

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 06:29 AM
The very first response pretty much sums up the attitude of the entire organization:

Question: The season hasn't gone as way you hoped, do you think this can be saved this year?

Murphy: "Yeah, I do. I've seen enough football and been involved in the NFL long enough that I can see it happening, sure. But obviously I'm disappointed about where we are. The number one goal as an organization every year is to win, but obviously we've got half the season left, and it's really premature to do an evaluation. At the end the season, I'll sit down and see how we performed."

OMFG ARE YOU KIDDING ME! You have to wait until the END OF THE SEASON to see if the season can be saved?!?!?!?!

Maybe it's just me, maybe I am the only fan in the world who thinks that you need to evaluate every game so the season doesn't slip away on you. "I can see it happening", see what? There is such a lethargic work ethic from the front office and it trickles right down to McCarthy. Let's wait till the end of the season - yeah that strategy works well. Maybe I should become a Lions or Bucs fan, at least those teams have some heart and even though they suck, they don't put up with this complacent bullshit and are pro-active about trying to actually win football games NOW.

The realization is starting to sink in that the Packers have a "things will work themselves out, they always do" attitude with no sense of urgency. Patience is fine when you are trying to build a team, so let's wait until next year to see if this master plan works, if not, let's wait another year, it will come around, you will see.

*COUGH*

Or it's showing that Murphy understands the hierarchy of the organization. It's not his responsibility to make football decisions during the middle of the season. That's the GM's responsibility. It's Murphy's responsibility to run the organizational and business side and reevaluate the GM's position at the end of each year. It's no different than another owner (excepting Jerry Jones, of course) taking a laissez faire approach during the season. Murphy said the only thing a respectable "owner" could: that he has faith in the organization, that he hopes things will turn around, and that he'll reevaluate what's within his responsibility to reevaluate at the end of the year.

Fritz
11-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Why do so many people want to go all Al Davis on this team every time it loses?

Look, I think this team has been a huge disappointment. And I see no sign of it getting better. As I've written elsewhere, MM and others have said before that a team is either getting better or getting worse. This team is getting worse.

But what else can Murphy really say or do right now? Firing a coach in midseason makes not one iota of sense. You can't install new schemes in midseason. It wouldn't work and it makes no sense. There's no advantage to firing your coach midseason.

Besides, the season is long. I personally don't think it'll turn around much at this point, but it could - if you're a fan you've seen just what Murphy has said - teams start hot and seem a sure thing but fade, and others come on at the end.

If this team continues to suck butt and at the end of the year heads don't roll, well, then I'll be the first one gathering the pitchforks for a good ol' mob gathering, but it just doesn't make sense to do that yet.

But do sharpen up those tines, and get up into the rafters of the garage and get that bucket of tar warmed up.

MichiganPackerFan
11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
But do sharpen up those tines, and get up into the rafters of the garage and get that bucket of tar warmed up.

Should be plenty of feathers available as the prep work for thanksgiving gets completed

Scott Campbell
11-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Besides, the season is long. I personally don't think it'll turn around much at this point, but it could - if you're a fan you've seen just what Murphy has said - teams start hot and seem a sure thing but fade, and others come on at the end.

One of the Sherman teams started 1-4 and made the playoffs. So it definitely can happen. But our line is playing so badly that I'm not going to hold my breath.

MOBB DEEP
11-10-2009, 08:41 AM

LET ME GIVE THIS A SHOT

MN RB > GB
MN OL > GB

MN TE = GB TE

MN DL > GB DL
MN LB = GB LB

GB CB > MN CB
GB S = MN S

You forgot WRs.

GB WR's > MN WR's..........but not by much

ummmm....Lord have Percy.... :wink:

Pugger
11-10-2009, 10:33 AM
Yes, what can Murphy do at this moment? It would be a nice elixir for us fans if heads would roll right now but it might make things worse if we fire anyone now. If things continue as they are there will be changes at the conclusion of the season.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 10:59 AM
If things continue as they are there will be changes at the conclusion of the season.

If things continue as they are and changes aren't made at the end of the season, then I think TT is on the hot seat. I think M3 is there now (or sitting down quickly), but TT has until the offseason if there's no change since he's responsible for M3. If TT doesn't make a then necessary change with M3 this offseason, then he's on the hotseat for the following season. If Murphy doesn't make a necessary change then, then he'll be on the hot seat, etc, etc, etc.

Waldo
11-10-2009, 11:28 AM
But what else can Murphy really say or do right now? Firing a coach in midseason makes not one iota of sense. You can't install new schemes in midseason. It wouldn't work and it makes no sense. There's no advantage to firing your coach midseason.

Yes and no.

While there is no advantage right now; if for example one of the available coaches (Gruden, Cowher, Shanny, Marty S, Dungy) were to be hired, it would be advantageous to do so prior to the end of the season. A 2-3 week window at the end of the season gives the coach time to evaluate the roster and other coaches, in practice and in games.

That way when keep/not keep decisions are made, when free agency decisions are made, when draft decisions are made, they are made with more information than just game tape. The coach would have the chance to evaluate each player with his own eyes and see what they can do and how he works with them.

Plus you could get that coach without any competition for his services. He wouldn't have multiple offers to choose from. Yet.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 11:45 AM

Well, it isn't exactly Murphy's job to fire the coach. That's the GM's job. Hierarchy, people! Hierarchy!

Scott Campbell
11-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Well, it isn't exactly Murphy's job to fire the coach. That's the GM's job. Hierarchy, people! Hierarchy!

True, unless he took em both out at once.

mngolf19
11-10-2009, 11:57 AM
Also, were either TT or MM on the hot seat after last season? No. Unless your Rhodes or Steckel, you get one season of warmth before your pushed out. Your likely stuck with him/them for at least one more year. This was Chilly's hot year, he is currently trying to get out of that chair.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 11:58 AM

I think for both to happen at once, both would have to have taken to the franchise to a place that made him need to clean house. I mean drastic measures. Where we are now isn't close to drastic. Drastic is Washington, Oakland, Tampa, etc.

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 12:01 PM

He could just Fire TT, hire a new GM and keep McCarthy in place. Then the new GM could evaluate MM for a year, before deciding whether to get a new coach. That always works out really well.

MichiganPackerFan
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM

http://esquaredfashion.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/trump.jpg

Fritz
11-10-2009, 12:22 PM

Yes and no.

While there is no advantage right now; if for example one of the available coaches (Gruden, Cowher, Shanny, Marty S, Dungy) were to be hired, it would be advantageous to do so prior to the end of the season. A 2-3 week window at the end of the season gives the coach time to evaluate the roster and other coaches, in practice and in games.

That way when keep/not keep decisions are made, when free agency decisions are made, when draft decisions are made, they are made with more information than just game tape. The coach would have the chance to evaluate each player with his own eyes and see what they can do and how he works with them.

Plus you could get that coach without any competition for his services. He wouldn't have multiple offers to choose from. Yet.

This is only true under a couple of conditions. One, that you already know you want one of those people and not someone who is an assistant somewhere. If you have your eye on the next Mike Holmgren, you can't have at him til the end of the season. Two, you assume there's no competition for the coach's services because it's mid-season. But how many of those coaches will sign on at mid-season? My sense is that many if not all would prefer to wait until the season's end to see what other jobs shake out. And if you were willing to give that up, your agent would surely demand compensation. He'd want your team to pay for the coach giving up the advantage of having multiple offers.

If you're going to fire someone before the season's end, it actually makes more sense to fire the GM. A new GM can step in and evaluate the talent on the roster, as Wolf did when he was hired in GB.

But I don't know that this organization has yet determined whether this lack of success so far is due to poor coaching or a lack of talent, though one might glean from Murphy's interview that he's more in Thompson's corner than McCarthy's.

hoosier
11-10-2009, 12:58 PM

Look, I think this team has been a huge disappointment. And I see no sign of it getting better. As I've written elsewhere, MM and others have said before that a team is either getting better or getting worse. This team is getting worse.

If this team continues to suck butt and at the end of the year heads don't roll, well, then I'll be the first one gathering the pitchforks for a good ol' mob gathering, but it just doesn't make sense to do that yet.

One thing that could be done now if you're Murphy/TT, and which would make a lot of sense, IMO, is to force MM to delegate playcalling responsibilities to Philbin. Then at the very least we would have a slightly clearer picture of what is contributing to the Packers malfunctions--which will either get better when they restore some kind of normalcy to playcalling or they won't. If humiliating the HC isn't cathartic enough, then try some real bloodletting: pick a scapegoat who gets the axe now, say, either Slocum or Campen. And don't let McCarthy fill the position by promoting from within.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 01:14 PM

He could just Fire TT, hire a new GM and keep McCarthy in place. Then the new GM could evaluate MM for a year, before deciding whether to get a new coach. That always works out really well.

That's the way it goes. It's the GM's decision. And when a new GM comes in, he doesn't have to keep the current coach. Most don't. TT did because the current coach was the former GM, and M2 was probably told he could keep coaching if they stripped his GM duties. Just speculation, but that's what I think happened.

Scott Campbell
11-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Wasn't Shermy the coach coming off a 10-6 season? No coach gets fired after one of those.

woodbuck27
11-10-2009, 03:41 PM

LET ME GIVE THIS A SHOT

MN RB > GB
MN OL > GB

MN TE = GB TE

MN DL > GB DL
MN LB = GB LB

GB CB > MN CB
GB S = MN S

You forgot WRs.

Yes and I believed that the Packers have superior WR's but Favre seems to know how to pick up an ordinary WR to achieve far better. Brett Favre spends time with his WR's to get them on the same page with him. Favre is a solid team leader as well. Aaron Rodgers will hopefully grow in that direction. It's really brutal the pressure Aaron Rodgers is under to do his very best week to week with an inconsistent to horrible OL. Do any of you now realize the level of play that Favre brought to the table in 2007? 13 regular season wins in 2007 was just outstanding.

One of the strongest parts of the Vikings 'D' I'm seeing are the linebackers. The only area that the Packers outshine the Vikings at present is in the secondary. The Vikings have more star players at key positions too IMO.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 03:45 PM
Wasn't Shermy the coach coming off a 10-6 season? No coach gets fired after one of those.

That was probably the other reason.

woodbuck27
11-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Of course your correct Fritz but I certainly don't see a whole lot that is encouraging towords real growth in the future on the Packers team we are seeing at present. The heat is on and Dallas is at Lambeau this week. We get another chance to assess our team, but a win one - lose one scenario for remainder of this season has to call for a major change.

Fritz
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
I agree with you, the only proviso being that the team is not wracked by injuries. And frankly I don't count the offensive line injuries as debilitating. Colledge, Wells - a previous starter - and Sitton and Barbre have been healthy all year long (or as healthy as an NFL player can be during a season).

So - if the team stays relatively healthy but finishes 8-8, seesawing back and forth between a win and a loss, then I agree with you, Woody. Which is unusual, but there ya go. Nothing like failure to bring people together!