PDA

View Full Version : Darren Sharper

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 03:27 PM
How many times did we hear 6 years ago that he's done, he's older, he's lost a step.

Forget his annoying personality.

He's played no less than 13 games a year in 12 seasons and this year he's heading for another Pro Bowl.

191 games - 61 INTS. Not bad for a guy who was supposedly washed up several years ago.

1997-98 Green Bay 14 games - 2 ints
1998-99 Green Bay 16 games
1999-00 Green Bay 16 games - 3 ints
2000-01 Green Bay 16 games - 9 ints
2001-02 Green Bay 16 games - 6 ints
2002-03 Green Bay 13 games - 7 ints
2003-04 Green Bay 15 games - 5 ints
2004-05 Green Bay 15 games - 4 ints
2005-06 Minnesota 14 games - 9 ints
2006-07 Minnesota 16 games - 4 ints
2007-08 Minnesota 16 games - 4 ints
2008-09 Minnesota 16 games - 1 int
2009-10 New Orleans 8 games - 7 ints

Michael Silver on Sharper: "The man has the numbers – seven interceptions, tied for the league lead, including three returns for touchdowns; an NFL-high 19 passes defensed. More important, the veteran free-agent signee has been the most glaring reason for the Saints’ defensive turnaround, transforming a team that was the essence of mediocrity for two seasons into an 8-0 juggernaut in the making. Ask anyone in the New Orleans locker room what Sharper has meant to the team, and you’ll get a long and glowing answer."

g4orce
11-10-2009, 03:28 PM
I'd take him in a heartbeat right now.

mission
11-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Awesome, a second thread about this guy this season.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I thought I heard they were willing to let him go because he freelanced too much. Then they got Nick Collins, who I'd gladly have over Sharper any day of the week.

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm tired of talking about former Packers. Besides, everyone knows the Saints' success this season is because of one man: Zach Strief.

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
I'm tired of talking about former Packers. Besides, everyone knows the Saints' success this season is because of one man: Zach Strief.

"Zach Strief" - Is this a word puzzle? Unscramble his name and see how many words you can make?

The post is about the unreliability of "the experts."

The Packers would never have given Sharper the free agent dollars he wanted.

Remember back when $2 million was a lot of money?

But the guy was far from being washed up....and he's proved it.

Farve, on the other hand, should have retired a few years ago. He's embarrassing himself right now. :wink:

bobblehead
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
So why did the vikings let this stud get away?? They had cap space.

cheesner
11-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Where are the columns for missed tackles, getting beat, and taking a bad angle?

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Where are the columns for missed tackles, getting beat, and taking a bad angle?

i.e. Freelancing

sharpe1027
11-10-2009, 04:44 PM
How many times did we hear 6 years ago that he's done, he's older, he's lost a step.

Forget his annoying personality.

He's played no less than 13 games a year in 12 seasons and this year he's heading for another Pro Bowl.

191 games - 61 INTS. Not bad for a guy who was supposedly washed up several years ago.

1997-98 Green Bay 14 games - 2 ints
1998-99 Green Bay 16 games
1999-00 Green Bay 16 games - 3 ints
2000-01 Green Bay 16 games - 9 ints
2001-02 Green Bay 16 games - 6 ints
2002-03 Green Bay 13 games - 7 ints
2003-04 Green Bay 15 games - 5 ints
2004-05 Green Bay 15 games - 4 ints
2005-06 Minnesota 14 games - 9 ints
2006-07 Minnesota 16 games - 4 ints
2007-08 Minnesota 16 games - 4 ints
2008-09 Minnesota 16 games - 1 int
2009-10 New Orleans 8 games - 7 ints

Michael Silver on Sharper: "The man has the numbers – seven interceptions, tied for the league lead, including three returns for touchdowns; an NFL-high 19 passes defensed. More important, the veteran free-agent signee has been the most glaring reason for the Saints’ defensive turnaround, transforming a team that was the essence of mediocrity for two seasons into an 8-0 juggernaut in the making. Ask anyone in the New Orleans locker room what Sharper has meant to the team, and you’ll get a long and glowing answer."

I haven't watched NOs games, but this year's turnaround (his past three years of mediocre numbers) might have something to do with being ahead by 20+ points and having the other team forced to throw-throw-throw.

Brandon494
11-10-2009, 04:47 PM
So why did the vikings let this stud get away?? They had cap space.

Same reason Eagles let Brian Dawkins go, to get younger.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2009, 04:48 PM
It seems the definition around here of someone being something special requires them to have won something. Sharper hasn't won anything, therefore he is just a stat whore who needs to be replaced.

mission
11-10-2009, 05:32 PM
It seems the definition around here of someone being something special requires them to have won something. Sharper hasn't won anything, therefore he is just a stat whore who needs to be replaced.

Fire him immediately!

Bretsky
11-10-2009, 07:35 PM
When I think Ballhawk, first I think
ED REED
Then I think
DARREN SHARPER

Scott Campbell
11-10-2009, 07:37 PM
ED REED
Then I think
DARREN SHARPER

Yeah, he's got some killer ball skills.

rbaloha1
11-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Sporting News named DS first half defensive player of the year.

DS look faster -- maybe less injured. An example of a defensive coordinator maximizing playmaker's strengths as opposed to Capers.

pbmax
11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
This is going to end ugly isn't it? I think I pledged to finance a trip to Canton to be sure at least one large banner reading 4th and 26 was displayed if he gets selected to the HOF. I think Nutz was my traveling partner, but my memory might be failing me.

pbmax
11-10-2009, 09:31 PM
ED REED
Then I think
DARREN SHARPER
They should have made him a receiver.

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
This is going to end ugly isn't it? I think I pledged to finance a trip to Canton to be sure at least one large banner reading 4th and 26 was displayed if he gets selected to the HOF. I think Nutz was my traveling partner, but my memory might be failing me.

I'll be there with "THE CATCH II"

Bretsky
11-10-2009, 10:02 PM
I must be the only one...but I've always thought Sharper was grossly underappreciated by fans in Green Bay.

He had one horrid year..either his 2nd or 3rd...where he took some terrible angles and was a bad tackler and he got tagged from that forever

He was hurt too much

Other than that he was stellar; Nick Collins looks dam good. But other than Collins, Sharper is undoubtedly our best safety since Leroy Butler.

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 10:15 PM
But other than Collins, Sharper is undoubtedly our best safety since Leroy Butler.

Absolutely. And he may be better than Collins. He suffered from 1) Randy Moss, 2) losing Butler in 2001, 3) a pretty average secondary around him most of his career in GB 4) taking chances (possibly due to 3), and 5) having some highly visible and costly fuck-ups.

Note: The Packers have not yet come close to replacing Butler with a decent SS (or safety with 'SS' skills).

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 11:54 PM
ED REED
Then I think
DARREN SHARPER

Yeah, he's got some killer ball skills.

Enough already about the Vikings' "Love Boat" episode. :)

MichiganPackerFan
11-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I still blame the 4th and 26 on coaching. How can you NOT call a timeout to make sure everything is in place when shutting down that play means you don't need your timeouts for any other purpose. Sherman always played not to lose, he never played to win.

rbaloha1
11-11-2009, 10:53 AM
I still blame the 4th and 26 on coaching. How can you NOT call a timeout to make sure everything is in place when shutting down that play means you don't need your timeouts for any other purpose. Sherman always played not to lose, he never played to win.

yes. they were confused. a timeout would have ensured everyone was on the same page.

gbgary
11-11-2009, 12:28 PM
never should have let him go.

rbaloha1
11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
never should have let him go.

Its easy to say now. Back then it appeared DS skills were declining and was close to retirement.

Fritz
11-11-2009, 03:29 PM

Except at the end of the first half, when he went for it on fourth and goal from the one or two or whatever it was, and Green tripped on an offensive lineman's heels and came up short.

So after that failed, later in the game his team was chewing up yardage on the ground and had a fourth and one or two at Philly's 35 or so, I believe. He punted, and of course Bidwell, I think it was, knocked it into the end zone and Philly got it only 15 yards further away. Had Shermy gone for it, a first down would have sealed the deal. And Philly's line was gassed.

Kiwon
11-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Except at the end of the first half, when he went for it on fourth and goal from the one or two or whatever it was, and Green tripped on an offensive lineman's heels and came up short.

So after that failed, later in the game his team was chewing up yardage on the ground and had a fourth and one or two at Philly's 35 or so, I believe. He punted, and of course Bidwell, I think it was, knocked it into the end zone and Philly got it only 15 yards further away. Had Shermy gone for it, a first down would have sealed the deal. And Philly's line was gassed.

I was listening on the radio and cringed when they decided to punt. I just had a feeling.....

Of course, no team should convert on 4th and 26, but picking up that one yard and first down would have ended the threat.

Bidwell's failure to pin them deep, not blitzing on 4th down, that's all secondary. The way to end those kind of games are with kneel downs with the offensive on the field.

Kiwon
11-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Back to the too old, too slow, too cocky, can't tackle, Sharper...
.................................................. .......................

Midseason awards: Dazzling Favre, dismal Browns

by Charles Robinson

Best defensive player: Darren Sharper, Saints

With apologies to Minnesota defensive end Jared Allen(notes), Sharper has been the biggest momentum changer this season. His seven interceptions are tied for the league lead, while his three defensive touchdowns lead the NFL. And he really should have eight picks and four touchdowns – a roughing-the-passer penalty against the New York Giants negated one of his interceptions. Combine the playmaking with Sharper’s hitting ability and bottomless emotion, and there hasn’t been a more dynamic defensive player in the first half of 2009.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtaUh3cgr60OOYZXprttw1I5nYcB?slug=cr-inconvenienttruths111109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Guiness
11-11-2009, 05:00 PM

I always felt that was a turning point as well. Heck, I would've preferred to see the FG team trot out than a punt.

MJZiggy
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM

I always felt that was a turning point as well. Heck, I would've preferred to see the FG team trot out than a punt.

At least with the field goal team you have a shot at the points and if you miss, you're not that much worse off than what you ended up with anyway.

pbmax
11-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Everything was in place, but a rookie MLB (Barnett) became fascinated by the TE (the only true Eagle receiving threat) and got into his drop late and was short. This gave Donovan a good window to throw into. We got no pass rush and as happened regularly with him, Sharper was late to the ball from deep.

Sharper is a route jumper. He doesn't fight the ball away from receivers or hit them to cause a tip drill or find a clever way to knock them off course in their route. In quarters coverage, I am still not sure how he didn't get there to make a play on the ball. At least versus Owens and the 49ers, he was a single deep safety I think.

esoxx
11-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Everything was in place, but a rookie MLB (Barnett) became fascinated by the TE (the only true Eagle receiving threat) and got into his drop late and was short. This gave Donovan a good window to throw into. We got no pass rush and as happened regularly with him, Sharper was late to the ball from deep.

Hawthorne also allowed Freddie Mitchell a free release instead of jamming him at the line as he should have. Barnett's error was most egregious on the play. Sharper drifted too far back.
Like any great disaster, there's a serious of events that lead to infamy versus a single factor. The 4th and 26 play illustrates that.

esoxx
11-11-2009, 11:00 PM

Sharper is a route jumper. He doesn't fight the ball away from receivers or hit them to cause a tip drill or find a clever way to knock them off course in their route. In quarters coverage, I am still not sure how he didn't get there to make a play on the ball. At least versus Owens and the 49ers, he was a single deep safety I think.

Against the 49er's, they had a three man rush with quarters coverage.