PDA

View Full Version : Brown: "The Vikings have stole our swagger, period.''

g4orce
11-10-2009, 04:01 PM
From ProFootballTalk.com

Gilbert Brown rips Mike McCarthy
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 10, 2009 3:56 PM ET
Former Packers defensive tackle Gilbert Brown says the team's loss to the Buccaneers on Sunday is the strongest sign to date that it's time for a new coach in Green Bay.

Speaking on WSSP in Milwaukee, Brown ripped Packers coach Mike McCarthy for the coaching job he's done this season.

"It is the head coach's fault," Brown said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Everything that goes on starts with the big man upfront."

When it was pointed out to Brown that the Packers have personnel issues, which would seem to suggest that General Manager Ted Thompson is the problem, Brown said it's still McCarthy's job to find a way to win with the players he has.

"It doesn't matter," Brown said. "It doesn't matter with the talent and what you put on the field if you keep making mistakes week in and week out and you don't correct it and the same thing keeps going on."

Brown, who played with Brett Favre in Green Bay from 1993 to 2003, said the Packers' two losses to Favre and the Vikings doomed the whole season to failure.

"The Vikings have stole our swagger, period," Brown said. "Everybody on that team stole our swagger. Took our quarterback. Took our heart on Lambeau Field. Took our heart in front of millions of fans on TV. Then you go out and lose to an 0-7 team. The debacle started when they played the Vikings right there. The two Vikings games crushed the season."

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 04:16 PM
That's tough talk.

Nobody's going to suggest that Gilbert Brown join MENSA but it's a tough, honest opinion coming from someone who knows what it's like to be in the lockeroom and the psychology of NFL players.

A couple more bad games in a row and the Packers front office might find themselves in "Fire Matt Millen" territory.

woodbuck27
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
There is something very wrong in Green Bay. I saw something that really bothered me when Favre and Vikings won at Lambeau. Did anyone else see it? Especially after the game?

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
A couple more bad games in a row and the Packers front office might find themselves in "Fire Matt Millen" territory.

Not even close. Well--maybe we'll be in that territory, but it won't be justified. Millen was the GM, and TT isn't anywhere close to that bad.

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Not even close. Well--maybe we'll be in that territory, but it won't be justified. Millen was the GM, and TT isn't anywhere close to that bad.

I agree. I think the Packers should fire Matt Millen.

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM

Your missing the point.

I was talking about the fans generally turning against those in the front office.

Gilbert was focused on the head coach. Others will be blaming TT. Take your pick over who would win a popularity contest.

Once the blame game starts in earnest, the whole front office gets targeted.

Kiwon
11-10-2009, 04:28 PM

Matt Millen is like SPAM. He never goes away.

How about this, the Ford family's reluctance to part ways with Millen even as the Lions got worse and worse linked to a failure to innovate and the eventual decline of the American auto industry. Connect the dots.

Freak Out
11-10-2009, 04:30 PM

Matt Millen is like SPAM. He never goes away.

How about this, the Ford family's reluctance to part ways with Millen even as the Lions got worse and worse linked to a failure to innovate and the eventual decline of the American auto industry. Connect the dots.

Ford is making money again correct? So I guess a Lions turn around is immanent. :)

MadScientist
11-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Just as long as they don't ever, EVER find themselves in the hire Matt Millen territory, everything will work out ok.

bobblehead
11-10-2009, 04:36 PM
gilby is right...mr. tough pittsburg guy got married, had a kid and now is afraid of the cold and won't practice outdoors. He is worried about working guys too hard, and our smash mouth running game has been around for exactly 8 games at the end of '07.

We need some cock in the walk...we need some physical play...and I'm not talking about head butting a guy on 4th down. I honestly believe the type of practices he runs is at the core of this. I want special teams FIGHTS, not pissy holding penalties. I want our OL driving guys into the ground until the whistle, not false starts. And finally I want a swarming defense that can get to a QB on 3rd down.

Cheesehead Craig
11-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Pay no attention to Gilbert, they just interviewed him when he was hungry and they were keeping a huge burger just out of his reach.

denverYooper
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
There is something very wrong in Green Bay. I saw something that really bothered me when Favre and Vikings won at Lambeau. Did anyone else see it? Especially after the game?

My log saw it happen.

denverYooper
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
Gilbert should stick to what he's good at: being fat.

Brandon494
11-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Gilbert should stick to what he's good at: being fat.

Great insight!

Gilbert is right, we keep seeing the same shit week in and week out and it all falls on MM. People can blame TT all they want but he has provided this team with talent. MM is a joke of a coach and I really don't think the players respect him. We need a coach with a personality that the players can connect with.

g4orce
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM

I saw it. I think a lotta players on the Packers did the right thing by what they say to the press about the whole Favre thing but what they actually feel is a whole nother story. I saw them all embrace a man that just kicked their ass for the 2nd time, and this time on their home field in front of basically all of America. Something isn't right in GB and it hasnt been for a couple years now.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 06:02 PM
MM is a joke of a coach and I really don't think the players respect him.

I hope you're being hyperbolic. M3 isn't close to being a joke of a coach. That would be Mangini or Lane Kiffin territory or Nick Saban (in the NFL). Or maybe Zorn territory.

I would say that M3 isn't stellar, but a joke wouldn't have been runner up for coach of the year in 2007. A joke wouldn't have gotten a contract extension. And the players not respecting him? That's pure unsubstantiated speculation.

MOBB DEEP
11-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Pay no attention to Gilbert, they just interviewed him when he was hungry and they were keeping a huge burger just out of his reach.

Dont discount him. I saw gilbert in an interview the week before the game and it was CLEAR he bleeds green and gold along with Will Hen. It sounds like he's actually hurt by the direction of the franchise; not some bitter cat

MOBB DEEP
11-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Did anyone else see it? Especially after the game?

What are u referring to Buck? Dont be cryptic..OF COURSE Driver should embrace him so I know it cant be that

3irty1
11-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I wish the Vikings had stolen our period.

pbmax
11-10-2009, 06:50 PM
gilby is right...mr. tough pittsburg guy got married, had a kid and now is afraid of the cold and won't practice outdoors. He is worried about working guys too hard, and our smash mouth running game has been around for exactly 8 games at the end of '07.

We need some cock in the walk...we need some physical play...and I'm not talking about head butting a guy on 4th down. I honestly believe the type of practices he runs is at the core of this. I want special teams FIGHTS, not pissy holding penalties. I want our OL driving guys into the ground until the whistle, not false starts. And finally I want a swarming defense that can get to a QB on 3rd down.
My sarcasm detector might be on the fritz but we have practiced outside for the first time in three seasons this year. If anything, we should stop.

Fritz
11-10-2009, 07:01 PM

My sarcasm detector might be on the fritz but we have practiced outside for the first time in three seasons this year. If anything, we should stop.

Nope. Not on me anywhere.

bobblehead
11-10-2009, 07:26 PM

Yea, I forgot that we did finally. But again, from all I've read MM doesn't have competitive practices. He doesn't make the OL stop the DL. Its all assignment practice and positioning, and lining up according to the other team. And actually its still early...I think we have practiced outside in years past before it got really cold. talk to me in december.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-10-2009, 07:30 PM

Ah, yes. More of Bobble's ridiculous he got married and had a kid BS. MM already was married b4 and had a kid.

Jesus, man...give it up. You have been PROVEN wrong on this repeatedly.

And, of course, we HAVE been practicing outside. :oops:

rbaloha1
11-10-2009, 07:57 PM

I hope you're being hyperbolic. M3 isn't close to being a joke of a coach. That would be Mangini or Lane Kiffin territory or Nick Saban (in the NFL). Or maybe Zorn territory.

I would say that M3 isn't stellar, but a joke wouldn't have been runner up for coach of the year in 2007. A joke wouldn't have gotten a contract extension. And the players not respecting him? That's pure unsubstantiated speculation.

Maybe #4 made MM look good as he did with previous Packer assistant coaches?

rbaloha1
11-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Agree with GB. The entire Packer organization is humiliated. An unlikely Cowboys victory returns the swagger.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 08:17 PM

So it wasn't M3 who coached BF to the best statistical season of his career since his MVPs after years of uncontrolled QB play during his last season in GB? That was Favre suddenly doing something he didn't do with M2 at all or doing something he didn't do unless M1 was screaming at him? He just...poof...was playing far more controlled which resulted in an NFC championship game where he threw an interception to stay out of the Super Bowl? I think BF is a different QB now, but I think it took GB moving on, playing for the Jets for a year, and feeling that age get to him that made him really realize it. He was still throwing picks like miners on strike with GB until M3. So, please tell, how was 2007's success, a surprising defense (considering the years around it), and Ryan Grant completely BF making M3 look good?

I'm not saying that M3 is a great coach. I've said that he's serviceable, and I'll stick with that assessment. But he's not a joke of a coach. That is entirely hyperbole, and as long as we all know it's hyperbole, I'm okay with it.

Badgerinmaine
11-10-2009, 08:24 PM
Brown said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Everything that goes on starts with the big man upfront."
Yes, because once Gilbert gets to be up front at the head of the line, he can speak up and order a sack of Gilbert Burgers. :-)
http://photos.upi.com/topics--Green-Bay-Packers-nose-tackle-Gilbert-Brown/5c483c80b3c8358bac394b6572f654e2/G.jpg

mraynrand
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM

So it wasn't M3 who coached BF to the best statistical season of his career since his MVPs after years of uncontrolled QB play during his last season in GB? That was Favre suddenly doing something he didn't do with M2 at all or doing something he didn't do unless M1 was screaming at him? He just...poof...was playing far more controlled which resulted in an NFC championship game where he threw an interception to stay out of the Super Bowl? I think BF is a different QB now, but I think it took GB moving on, playing for the Jets for a year, and feeling that age get to him that made him really realize it. He was still throwing picks like miners on strike with GB until M3. So, please tell, how was 2007's success, a surprising defense (considering the years around it), and Ryan Grant completely BF making M3 look good?

I'm not saying that M3 is a great coach. I've said that he's serviceable, and I'll stick with that assessment. But he's not a joke of a coach. That is entirely hyperbole, and as long as we all know it's hyperbole, I'm okay with it.

Check out Favre's stats from 2004 - similar to his MVP years.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 08:34 PM
Brown said, per SportsRadioInterviews.com. "Everything that goes on starts with the big man upfront."
Yes, because once Gilbert gets to be up front at the head of the line, he can speak up and order a sack of Gilbert Burgers. :-)

My favorite was when he was on crutches on the sideline for a game and an opposing player was pushing out of bounds, ran right into Gilbert, and fell down without moving him. Funniest thing ever. Does anyone else remember that game?

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 08:44 PM
Check out Favre's stats from 2004 - similar to his MVP years.

Similar, but not quite as good. 2004 had more touchdowns, but also more interceptions and a lower completion rate.

bbbffl66
11-10-2009, 08:46 PM

My favorite was when he was on crutches on the sideline for a game and an opposing player was pushing out of bounds, ran right into Gilbert, and fell down without moving him. Funniest thing ever. Does anyone else remember that game?

Didn't he get a penalty on that? I thought it was hysterical!

pbmax
11-10-2009, 08:57 PM

Dont discount him. I saw gilbert in an interview the week before the game and it was CLEAR he bleeds green and gold along with Will Hen. It sounds like he's actually hurt by the direction of the franchise; not some bitter cat
That is a fine sentiment and it may mean a lot to fans that he cares. So does a guy in my neighborhood who paints the Packer helmet on his lawn each fall.

But that doesn't make him right. Gilbert has some judgement issues as well; he ate himself out of the league too early.

pbmax
11-10-2009, 08:59 PM

Nope. Not on me anywhere.
Please look on the floor in the Fritz Chevy Vega. Its got to be there somewhere.

pbmax
11-10-2009, 09:04 PM
Agree with GB. The entire Packer organization is humiliated. An unlikely Cowboys victory returns the swagger.
Perhaps Gilbert would be more believable on this if he hadn't been completely wiped out versus the Broncos and almost unable to pick himself off the field on the goal line stand in the second half. Gilbert's swagger would be at a higher level if he himself had played at a higher level longer. Gilbert didn't get serious about his career until it was going to cost him money. That should tell you all you need to know about his commitment.

And just to get it on record, swagger, like grit in baseball, is a euphemism for "I've got no idea what is going on, so I will substitute an amorphous word and attribute it to whoever is winning."

Maxie the Taxi
11-10-2009, 09:08 PM
The Dallas Cowgirls have swagger and so do their fans.

denverYooper
11-10-2009, 09:14 PM

Just wait until December. Those guys have had plenty of swagger in the past few years, all to go swishy-swishy-swishy down the porcelain pike late in the year.

rbaloha1
11-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Perhaps Gilbert would be more believable on this if he hadn't been completely wiped out versus the Broncos and almost unable to pick himself off the field on the goal line stand in the second half. Gilbert's swagger would be at a higher level if he himself had played at a higher level longer. Gilbert didn't get serious about his career until it was going to cost him money. That should tell you all you need to know about his commitment.

And just to get it on record, swagger, like grit in baseball, is a euphemism for "I've got no idea what is going on, so I will substitute an amorphous word and attribute it to whoever is winning."

What does a poor super bowl performance have anything to do with GB's comments? Is Leroy Butler more believable?

Maxie the Taxi
11-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Just wait until December. Those guys have had plenty of swagger in the past few years, all to go swishy-swishy-swishy down the porcelain pike late in the year.

I hope they eat some porcelain Sunday. If a guy's got swagger, it's extra incentive to knock him off his porcelain pedestal. Damn I hate the Cowgirls!

pbmax
11-10-2009, 09:26 PM

What does a poor super bowl performance have anything to do with GB's comments? Is Leroy Butler more believable?
What has Gilbert demonstrated that he understands about football that would cause anyone to take him seriously?

Butler is far more qualified to comment, but exactly what has he gotten right since his retirement?

Brandon494
11-10-2009, 09:44 PM

MM is a good OC and is great with QBs BUT as a HC he is a JOKE! I was a supporter of his until lately. His playcalling is crap and he continues to talk about fixing problems yet never does. We have too much damn talent on this team to be playing like we have this season. Some of the blame also goes on Capers but I'll give him a break since our defense is learning a new scheme. If we don't make the playoffs this season MM needs to go.

Smidgeon
11-10-2009, 10:28 PM
If we don't make the playoffs this season MM needs to go.

I can agree with this sentiment. Especially if the injury bug continues to not strike the team and present them with convenient excuses. But I still disagree that he's a joke. There are certainly worse head coaches out there.

gex
11-10-2009, 10:47 PM

So for how many years was this uncontrolable Favre off his leash? Stats please. And an injury report for each season to see what kind of team he was left with.(taco wallace,gado, etc..)

Smidgeon
11-11-2009, 12:51 AM
So for how many years was this uncontrollable Favre off his leash? Stats please. And an injury report for each season to see what kind of team he was left with.

Prior to 2007:

2006 had a similar interception rate, but a completion percentage of 56%
Before that, you have to go back to 2000-2002 to find similar interception rates, but he threw around 60% completion and only topped 2007's touchdown total once in 2001. Going further back, it isn't until the Super Bowl year of 1996 that his interception rate has been similarly low, which is in his MVP years which is to where I drew the timeline. So:

Year - Pct - TD - Int%
2007 - 66.5 - 28 - 2.8
2006 - 56.0 - 18 - 2.9
2005 - 61.3 - 20 - 4.8
2004 - 64.1 - 30 - 3.1
2003 - 65.4 - 32 - 4.5
2002 - 61.9 - 27 - 2.9
2001 - 61.6 - 32 - 2.9
2000 - 58.3 - 20 - 2.8
1999 - 57.3 - 22 - 3.9
1998 - 63.0 - 31 - 4.2

An injury report is irrelevant, in my opinion, regarding how controlled he played. I'm not downplaying how good he was. I am simply saying that he had a statistically superior season (even if it was slight over 2004 and slightly more over 2001) with McCarthy in 2007 than he did any year since his MVP years. I'm not saying McCarthy was completely responsible for it, I'm just saying that his coaching helped Favre to a better season. I am also not saying that McCarthy is a superior coach. All I'm saying is that he's not a "joke" of a coach. That's my only, only point.

Scott Campbell
11-11-2009, 07:07 AM
So for how many years was this uncontrollable Favre off his leash? Stats please. And an injury report for each season to see what kind of team he was left with.

Prior to 2007:

2006 had a similar interception rate, but a completion percentage of 56%
Before that, you have to go back to 2000-2002 to find similar interception rates, but he threw around 60% completion and only topped 2007's touchdown total once in 2001. Going further back, it isn't until the Super Bowl year of 1996 that his interception rate has been similarly low, which is in his MVP years which is to where I drew the timeline. So:

Year - Pct - TD - Int%
2007 - 66.5 - 28 - 2.8
2006 - 56.0 - 18 - 2.9
2005 - 61.3 - 20 - 4.8
2004 - 64.1 - 30 - 3.1
2003 - 65.4 - 32 - 4.5
2002 - 61.9 - 27 - 2.9
2001 - 61.6 - 32 - 2.9
2000 - 58.3 - 20 - 2.8
1999 - 57.3 - 22 - 3.9
1998 - 63.0 - 31 - 4.2

An injury report is irrelevant, in my opinion, regarding how controlled he played. I'm not downplaying how good he was. I am simply saying that he had a statistically superior season (even if it was slight over 2004 and slightly more over 2001) with McCarthy in 2007 than he did any year since his MVP years. I'm not saying McCarthy was completely responsible for it, I'm just saying that his coaching helped Favre to a better season. I am also not saying that McCarthy is a superior coach. All I'm saying is that he's not a "joke" of a coach. That's my only, only point.

Great stats. Thanks.

GrnBay007
11-11-2009, 08:42 AM

?
We are waiting Woodbuck......

mraynrand
11-11-2009, 09:19 AM

?
We are waiting Woodbuck......

The players weren't really bothered much by it. Ho, hum, another day at the office.

http://www.novanewsnow.com/imgs/dynamique/blog/gros/sr1.jpg

rbaloha1
11-11-2009, 10:07 AM
If we don't make the playoffs this season MM needs to go.

I can agree with this sentiment. Especially if the injury bug continues to not strike the team and present them with convenient excuses. But I still disagree that he's a joke. There are certainly worse head coaches out there.

Agreed. One season is acceptable. Two is unacceptable resulting in MM being fired. There is enough talent to at least be a wild card team.

LP
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure how many of you know this, but Gilbert is the head coach of a brand new indoor football team in LaCrosse. Can't remember the name, but they start playing in the LaCrosse Center in late winter or early spring of next year. Maybe he thinks that since he now has "head coaching experience" and ties to the team that he should get a "promotion". :D

mraynrand
11-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Does Gilbert still have 'Swagger.' Or is it more a 'Waddle?'

MJZiggy
11-11-2009, 06:42 PM
I wish the Vikings had stolen our period.

Or at least the PMS.

Cheesehead Craig
11-11-2009, 06:46 PM

I think it's more "Hutt"

http://frogmatters.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/jabba-the-hutt.jpg

Kiwon
11-11-2009, 09:19 PM

GB: "Wha'd you say about me? I'm gonna 'waddle' over to you and kick your scrawny ass!"

Partial
11-11-2009, 10:28 PM

That is a fine sentiment and it may mean a lot to fans that he cares. So does a guy in my neighborhood who paints the Packer helmet on his lawn each fall.

But that doesn't make him right. Gilbert has some judgement issues as well; he ate himself out of the league too early.

Gilbert and LeRoy are on the Big Show just about every week. They're both provide excellent, brutally honest analysis. Both seem very hurt and disappointed in the way the team is going right now, both record wise and organization wise.

I think they're both top notch G&G guys.

SnakeLH2006
11-12-2009, 03:10 AM
Hmmmm....

This:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d8bF7KBsmHI/R6Ny08sIubI/AAAAAAAABow/nvtkF8uWlFw/s400/biggest-burger-small.jpg

or....BS coaching/pussy ass decisions (aka none) and looking like a turd with the media left and right...hmm.....

Snake loves a good burger.

MichiganPackerFan
11-12-2009, 09:29 AM

That was great! Pretty sure it was in SanFran....

MichiganPackerFan
11-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Always loved Gilbert. Still do. Tough guy in the middle who played most of his final season with a torn bicep. (match THAT joe johnson!)