PDA

View Full Version : COLLEDGE SIGNS! Only 3 more to go!

gbpackfan
07-27-2006, 03:19 PM
According to Packersnews.com, Darren Colledge signed today! Hawk, Hodge and Martin are left.

My opinion, get Hawk into camp! Duh! Seriously, I would work to sign Hawk and get him in immediately. Out of the three left, we need him in the day 1 the most. I want Hodge and Martin out there too, but Hawk is the most important.

What is the deal with Martin? Who does this kid think he is?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd-round pick Colledge signs with Packers

The Green Bay Packers signed second-round draft pick Daryn Colledge, his agent told the Press-Gazette today.

Jeff Sperbeck said his client agreed to terms this morning and would report to training camp in time for tomorrow's first day of team activities. Colledge, who played at Boise State, is the leading candidate to start at left guard.

His signing leaves the Packers with three unsigned picks on the eve of training camp. Still unsigned are: first-round pick A.J. Hawk, third-round pick Abdul Hodge and fifth-round pick Ingle Martin.

Coach Mike McCarthy on Thursday said he was hopeful that all the draft picks, including Hawk, would have their contracts done in time for Friday's first practice at 6:30 p.m.

-- Rob Demovsky, rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

pittstang5
07-27-2006, 03:24 PM
With a 6:30 practice time, that will give them all day tomorrow to get everyone else signed before the first official practice starts.

Still scratching my head over Martin. What's the hold up?

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 03:35 PM
Do you think that Hodge was a bit disappointed at where he was draft, and thinks he deserves more than other 3rd round picks?

pittstang5
07-27-2006, 03:44 PM
The below article was on Packchatters.com - so consider the source. But it does mention that Hodge may not be in on time, but doesn't really state why.

Packers: Spitz gets four-year, $2.35 million deal
Written by Wire Services
Thursday, 27 July 2006
Green Bay - If everything goes to form, rookie Jason Spitz will be a starter on the Green Bay Packers' offensive line. His new contract reflects as much Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinal reports.

Spitz signed a four-year contract Wednesday worth roughly $2.35 million, including a signing bonus of $742,250, according to his agent, Ralph Cindrich. The signing bonus was more than $8,000 higher than the player selected in the spot after Spitz, which might have been a concession to Spitz's expected starting role.

A third-round pick, No. 75 overall, Spitz impressed the coaching staff in off-season workouts so much that he replaced second-year pro Junius Coston as the starter at right guard. The 6-foot-4, 313-pound Spitz started 38 games in a row at Louisville and was drafted with the thought that he could fill any of the three line spots.

Spitz is guaranteed nothing, but early indications are the coaches view him as a strong candidate to start.

"There are a couple of things about Jason," Cindrich said. "One is he is extremely intelligent but he doesn't wear it on his sleeve. His father played at Yale. It's interesting because he's very respectful, but on the field he's one of the (orneriest) kids you'll come across. He's the type of guy that his qualities provide for leadership."

Included in the deal is an escalator clause that will reward Spitz well beyond the $530,000 base salary he is scheduled to earn in the fourth year if he starts the majority of the games his first three years.

Spitz is the eighth of 12 Packers draft picks to reach agreement on a contract.

Talks continue with first-round pick A.J. Hawk, but with only four of 32 first-rounders in the NFL signed to deals, it could be a while before the stalemate between agents and teams breaks. Hawk's representatives have been in daily contact with Packers vice president of finance Andrew Brandt.

The Packers aren't quite seeing eye-to-eye with second-round guard Daryn Colledge, third-round linebacker Abdul Hodge and fifth-round quarterback Ingle Martin. However, negotiations with Colledge have advanced and there's a good chance he will be in camp on time. It is unlikely Martin will report late, but Hodge's on-time arrival is in question.

The Packers' first camp practice is Friday evening.

The Packers also announced two other transactions. They released running back/returner Chaz Williams and quarterback Tom Arth.

Williams signed as an undrafted rookie last year and broke his ankle early in training camp. He spent the year on injured reserve and faced an uphill battle to make the roster after the Packers drafted two potential returners.

Arth was signed during the off-season, but was no better than fourth on the depth chart.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 04:42 PM
"What is the deal with Martin? Who does this kid think he is?"gbpackfan

I can well imagine what Ingle Martin is thinking.

Take a good look at OUR situation as it exists today at QB. Imagine you are advising Ingle straight up.

What would you advise?

Play good cop - bad cop or look at both sides of Martin's position with 'the Packers'.

Favre may retire after this season? Aaron Rodgers remains. Then your Martin or his Friend or Family or his Agent and looking at the prospects of being ' the Packer 's ' future starting QB.

All parties including you (if your Ingle Martin) believe you have the stuff to be OUR starter.

Get the picture?

gbpackfan
07-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Woodbuck, what are you smoking?

I am a fan of Martin's and I want to see him do well, but come on man! He is not in a position to hold out for more money. NO ONE believes he is the future at this point. Look at it this way, the Packers have the iron man Brett and a first round draft pick behind him. They can out wait Martin! Martin signed like he should have. He had absolutely NO LEVERAGE and he knew it.

I dont know why we are even discussing this issue. He signed, it's all good. Let's move on.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Woodbuck, what are you smoking?

I am a fan of Martin's and I want to see him do well, but come on man! He is not in a position to hold out for more money. NO ONE believes he is the future at this point. Look at it this way, the Packers have the iron man Brett and a first round draft pick behind him. They can out wait Martin! Martin signed like he should have. He had absolutely NO LEVERAGE and he knew it.

I dont know why we are even discussing this issue. He signed, it's all good. Let's move on.

I'm guessing your missing my drift.

Straight up.

I'm glad Ingle Martin signed as I'm not impressed with what I read or see in Aaron Rodgers.

I've never been pleased with Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay's choice of him last year. I'm not on . . ." the Aaron Rodgers bandwagon".

Aaron Rodgers has shown me zip to date, that encourages me that he will be a reliable starter for us. Maybe Ingle Martin does have it. He is a fine athlete from all I've learned.

The rest is a wait and see.

GO Packers !

OKC PackerFan
07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Martin can also punt, can Rodgers do that. :lol:

SD GB fan
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM

oh burned

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:11 PM

Well, they'll need SOMEBODY! I don't know if you heard, but Woodson broke his leg returning punts today.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 11:14 PM

Well, they'll need SOMEBODY! I don't know if you heard, but Woodson broke his leg returning punts today.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

The_Dude
07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Ingle Martin is Tom Tupa reborn.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2006, 12:02 AM
I always liked Tom Tupa. Guy was about 6'5", a good college QB at Ohio State who played pro as a punter forever. He was a big, tough guy who could make tackles. I think he played some QB in pros too.

Guess what I'm saying is that I knew Tom Tupa, he was a friend of mine, and Ingle....

Patler
07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
Guess what I'm saying is that I knew Tom Tupa, he was a friend of mine, and Ingle....

Let me finish it for you:

"....Martin hopefully is BETTER than Tom Tupa!"

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 12:31 AM

Harlan:

I got it this way and trying to get the press release.

He got in early for TC and was working out with Stock and Jon Ryan.

Ryan punted one back by the goal posts and Woodson caught the ball and as Ryan bore down on him, Woodson tossed a few shoulder shakes - shuffled his hips, studder stepped a few times . . . and then ran smack dab into the DAM goal post, fracturing his right fibula. Rotten luck.

That Dam Ryan, just tossed his hands in the air - as rumour has it, that he wanted to hit Woodson hard. Sort of a - "I'm from the CFL- Hello Charles thing", with this Raw bone from Saskatchewan.

More later. tough one. :sad: jk

RashanGary
07-28-2006, 03:35 AM
Do you think that Hodge was a bit disappointed at where he was draft, and thinks he deserves more than other 3rd round picks?

YUP!! It crossed my mind. I think Martin wants some incentives if he starts and Hawk just wants to get paid fair for his draft position. This years draft looks like it got jacked up on salaries. He's gonna get a fair amount of jack and GB doesn't want to make a stupid mistake so their feeling it out.