PDA

View Full Version : Shanny and Gruden

Chevelle2
11-12-2009, 11:08 AM
Hey all.

I wanted to get everyones take on Shanny and Gruden. They have steller resumes, but I have heard some negative things about each, for instance Gruden is too big of an asshole and just took Dungy's team and made it a bit better.

But Im too well versed in coaching strategies and things like that, so I wanted to ask those who are - how do either of these do in GB or is it best to go another route should MM be fired?

GrnBay007
11-12-2009, 11:39 AM
How about Nutz and ND72!! ....and anyone else on PR that has coached before. We gotta stick with our own. :D

Guiness
11-12-2009, 11:44 AM
What happened with Shannahan in Denver? He was there an awful long time, and the ownership certainly liked him...then it all seemed to fall apart in a hurry - granted, after a couple of really bad seasons.

denverYooper
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
What happened with Shannahan in Denver? He was there an awful long time, and the ownership certainly liked him...then it all seemed to fall apart in a hurry - granted, after a couple of relly bad seasons.

Shannahan was a good coach but not a great GM. The speculation in the local papers was that Bowlen asked Shannahan to relinquish his GM duties. Shanny declined, wanting to do both or neither. Bowlen then let him go. I believe it was an amicable split.

mission
11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
How about Nutz and ND72!! ....and anyone else on PR that has coached before. We gotta stick with our own. :D

"one of our own" would surely never be a Vikings fan...

GrnBay007
11-12-2009, 12:01 PM

"one of our own" would surely never be a Vikings fan...

:lol:

U funny!

(wasn't it MM who coined the phrase "Packer People"? lol)

cheesner
11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I was never a gruden fan. I was impressed with Shanahan early in his career, but thought his work a bit questionable towards the end of his run.

Shanahan is more of the cerebral coach and Gruden is more of the motivational type coach. I prefer the later, but think Gruden is lacking too much in other areas of coaching to be successful.

GrnBay007
11-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Where's GBM??? We'd take Gruden, eh? :P

gbgary
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
shanny...does he even come out of the house? haven't seen or heard the guy since he was ousted.

cower...he'd be cool.

gruden...he'd be coo too.

MichiganPackerFan
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/childs-play-chucky-sneering.jpg

PlantPage55
11-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Gruden won the Super Bowl his first year with Tony Dungy's team, then proceeded to throw together 5 mediocre-to-bad seasons (two 9-7, a 7-9, a 5 winner, and a 4 winner) and one 11-5 playoff stint right in the middle.

No consistency. A track record that would have had our fans wanting to burn him at the stake if his name wasn't Jon Gruden.

Why doesn't anyone see this? Because his name is Jon Gruden and everyone knows him and our fans are always dying for someone with name recognition? Because he gets angry?

It's hypocritical.

MJZiggy
11-12-2009, 04:18 PM
Gruden won the Super Bowl his first year with Tony Dungy's team, then proceeded to throw together 5 mediocre-to-bad seasons (two 9-7, a 7-9, a 5 winner, and a 4 winner) and one 11-5 playoff stint right in the middle.

No consistency. A track record that would have had our fans wanting to burn him at the stake if his name wasn't Jon Gruden.

Why doesn't anyone see this? Because his name is Jon Gruden and everyone knows him and our fans are always dying for someone with name recognition? Because he gets angry?

It's hypocritical.

Everyone wants him because he has a ring, but what they fail to realize is that he got a ring with Dungy's team. The further removed Dungy was, the worse the record. Yell and scream all you want, but Dungy was the real coach there.

GrnBay007
11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/childs-play-chucky-sneering.jpg

MORE CHUCK FOR THE BUCK!! :D

Scott Campbell
11-12-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm not interested in any of the retreads, unless Jeff Fisher becomes available. And he used to play for the Bears, so I'm not sure he's worthy either.

pbmax
11-12-2009, 06:35 PM
No to Gruden. Have never liked him. With Bruce Allen and the Raiders, he assembled talent but couldn't repeat it with the Allen and the Bucs.

Would give Shanahan a chance, but he isn't coming here with a GM in charge.

Freak Out
11-12-2009, 07:22 PM
What about Charlie Weis? The guy was a hell of a pro coordinator and ND is going to give him the boot unless he wins out....which isn't likely.

Why are we even talking about the Head coach? When TT fires him we can talk. :)

Packers4Ever
11-12-2009, 08:14 PM
What about Charlie Weis? The guy was a hell of a pro coordinator and ND is going to give him the boot unless he wins out....which isn't likely.

Why are we even talking about the Head coach? When TT fires him we can talk. :)

Realistically, when/how soon do you think that would happen?
Just after end of the season? Later?

retailguy
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
I'm not interested in any of the retreads, unless Jeff Fisher becomes available. And he used to play for the Bears, so I'm not sure he's worthy either.

How about Holmgren? He was successful with some other team before the Seahawks. Maybe he could be again? :twisted:

Brandon494
11-12-2009, 08:52 PM

It's hypocritical.

Everyone wants him because he has a ring, but what they fail to realize is that he got a ring with Dungy's team. The further removed Dungy was, the worse the record. Yell and scream all you want, but Dungy was the real coach there.

He didn't go so bad with the Raiders either if you guys remember. If not for the dumb tuck rule he would have taken the Raiders to the SB. Also he didn't ruin Dungy team, they just got old. I mean the best QB he had in TB was Brad Johnson. Gruden would be a big upgrade over MM. Only problem is Gruden wants to coach a vetern team and doesnt feel like waiting for a young team to develop.

Smidgeon
11-12-2009, 09:03 PM
He didn't go so bad with the Raiders either if you guys remember. If not for the dumb tuck rule he would have taken the Raiders to the SB. Also he didn't ruin Dungy team, they just got old. I mean the best QB he had in TB was Brad Johnson. Gruden would be a big upgrade over MM. Only problem is Gruden wants to coach a vetern team and doesnt feel like waiting for a young team to develop.

I think the qualification there (and this is total speculation) is that most veteran coaches (i.e. those that have success elsewhere) probably don't want to be tied to a young QB that isn't developed. It's a risk since a bad QB can tank a franchise and a good one can be built around. M3 did the heavy lifting when it comes to training AR. The next coach doesn't have to worry about training up the QB for the next decade. They just have to worry about making sure he stays on track and protecting him. I think that makes the youngness of the roster palpable.

Patler
11-13-2009, 02:39 AM
The youthfulness of the Packer roster is a bit misleading. While it is true that overall the roster is the youngest, it has also been pointed out that if you look at starters and top line reserves, the Packers are in the oldest 1/3. The youthfulness of the team right now is at the very bottom of the roster, although with injuries a few of those deep reserves have moved up.