PDA

View Full Version : Sacks are to Rodgers as interceptions were to Favre???

Patler
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Favre was forgiven by many for a lot of the interceptions he threw because he also would sometimes thread a a pass into tight coverage. It was said that if you wanted to have the good plays from Favre, you had to accept that he would throw some extra interceptions too.

Is it the same with Rodgers and sacks? We have seen Rodgers pickup big first downs in virtually every game and score an impressive TD last week when he runs out of trouble. Since he knows and feels he can do that, does he take a few more sacks thinking he will be able to get away when it breaks down? If you want the big running plays out of Rodgers, should we accept there might be a few more sacks, too when he doesn't get away?

Not all Rodgers' sacks, some he has just held too, too long; but then again some of Favre's TDs were just downright brain-dead throws on his part, too, especially in his younger years.

channtheman
11-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Very good topic and a very good point. I think that if we want the big running plays we have to live with some of the sacks Rodgers takes. I do hope that sometimes he ditches the pass a little sooner and trusts his legs more. For example, in the 2nd Vikings game on a 3rd down in the redzone it looked like he could have ran for the 1st down. Instead he held onto it and got sacked.

rdanomly
11-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I'm guessing the crowd will cheer when ARod chucks one out of bounds to avoid a sack, just like we did when Favre finally figure out how to do the same instead of throwing a lame INT. Here's hoping those throw aways happen sooner rather than later.

Scott Campbell
11-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Unlike Favre, I have hopes that Aaron will stop getting sacked.

pbmax
11-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Quite possibly, but like Favre I hope Rodgers learns the pocket presence to correctly assess when to give up on a play (and either take off or throw it away). Because his running ability will deteriorate faster than his arm.

But its so early in his starting career, I think its too early to draw conclusions. While Favre never gave up on a play in his first two seasons, his first season was not marred by the kinds of INTs he threw his second. He had a sophomore slump, quite possibly like Rodgers is having.

But Favre did learn timing and pocket presence. It remains to be seen what Rodgers will improve on in the coming year.

Packers4Ever
11-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Very good topic and a very good point. I think that if we want the big running plays we have to live with some of the sacks Rodgers takes. I do hope that sometimes he ditches the pass a little sooner and trusts his legs more. For example, in the 2nd Vikings game on a 3rd down in the redzone it looked like he could have ran for the 1st down. Instead he held onto it and got sacked.

Can't recall where I heard this or read it, but supposedly

Aarod has a real aversion (?) to throwing an Int. He will

do anything to avoid it. Even taking numerous sacks ?

Just wondering...

packerbacker1234
11-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Of course, there is one major difference.

the W column.

Favre never had a single losing season, even in his wild young years, until late in his career.

AR had one his first season, and possibly could have one this year.

Just saying, it's hard to compare. We forgave favre because he won football games. It's hard to forgive AR (sack wise) since he isn't winning games.

Kiwon
11-13-2009, 01:51 AM
The bottom line is that an INT is a turnover and a sack isn't.

Farve has had a ton of fumbles as well.

Equally true is that he is the winningest QB in history.

It's easier to fix a sack problem than an INT problem. It took Farve until age 40 (this season) to fix his. :wink: