PDA

View Full Version : No Kampman, rookie Jones to start ?

Sparkey
11-12-2009, 10:37 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091111/PKR01/91111176/1058/Notebook--Rookies-Lang--Jones-practice-with-starters?GID=csFtho1FjiXYQW/5IF9R+Flwh5YZoEOvNbrbmj2fvMc%3D

What are everyone's thoughts on this possibility ? I think it will result in some breakdowns during the game that could be costly as it will already be a big challenge on D. On the flip side, of Jones does start and plays exceptionally well, what does that say about Kampman ?

Smidgeon
11-12-2009, 11:05 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091111/PKR01/91111176/1058/Notebook--Rookies-Lang--Jones-practice-with-starters?GID=csFtho1FjiXYQW/5IF9R+Flwh5YZoEOvNbrbmj2fvMc%3D

What are everyone's thoughts on this possibility ? I think it will result in some breakdowns during the game that could be costly as it will already be a big challenge on D. On the flip side, of Jones does start and plays exceptionally well, what does that say about Kampman ?

My question would be: Does this speak about how poorly Jeremy Thompson has been playing in practice, or how well Brad Jones has been?

rbaloha1
11-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Jones looked good in preseason if that means anything.

Bretsky
11-12-2009, 11:11 PM

My question would be: Does this speak about how poorly Jeremy Thompson has been playing in practice, or how well Brad Jones has been?

Jeremy Thompson turns to Jane with pads on

Smidgeon
11-12-2009, 11:16 PM

See, I would hope good coaching would help him overcome that. And I actually have faith in the DL and the OLB coaches. Didn't he have "natural rushing ability" coming out of college?

Sparkey
11-12-2009, 11:25 PM

See, I would hope good coaching would help him overcome that. And I actually have faith in the DL and the OLB coaches. Didn't he have "natural rushing ability" coming out of college?

That is what we have been told. That he was a natural 3-4 OLB and would fit in with the new 3-4 defense.

Bretsky
11-13-2009, 12:12 AM
He's soft; put on the pads and he gets pushed around way too much

Partial
11-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Wist is probably excited. I seem to recall him liking Jones' potential a lot.

Thompson has to be one of the most disappointing guys on the squad. He was penciled in as a starter this off-season and they expected him to be a contributor. Not sure he'll be back on the team next year as he doesn't seem to be able to crack the field no matter what he does.

Smidgeon
11-13-2009, 08:37 AM

Thompson has to be one of the most disappointing guys on the squad. He was penciled in as a starter this off-season and they expected him to be a contributor. Not sure he'll be back on the team next year as he doesn't seem to be able to crack the field no matter what he does.

I think they'll give him some more time. He's young, he's talented, and since he was a lower round draft pick, he's cheap too. Hopefully Kevin Greene can get to him.

pbmax
11-13-2009, 09:15 AM
He's soft; put on the pads and he gets pushed around way too much
It all depends on pad level.

Scott Campbell
11-13-2009, 09:24 AM

I think they'll give him some more time. He's young, he's talented, and since he was a lower round draft pick, he's cheap too. Hopefully Kevin Greene can get to him.

I think Thompson was Ted's first trade up.

Waldo
11-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Jeremy Thompson is essentially big 'ol pussy in Jason Taylor's body. You really couldn't draw up a much more physically ideal guy. But he plays shy, timid, weak. He has very little in the way of football instincts. It coaching was going to fix it, we'd have seen some notable progress after one offseason. I had high hopes, I really thought coach Green could bring out a mean nasty animal in him. Guess not.

I like Brad Jones though. I wouldn't mind too much if Pops or Thompson rotated on run downs. On passing downs though, Brad looked really good dropping into coverage in the summer, and from day 1 on the field (he was hurt early in camp and missed the first couple weeks), he looked like the best OLB pass rusher we had. Brad has a KGB-like game, a true speed rusher (Clay uses the bull rush as his primary, I wouldn't consider him a speed rusher, more of a 3-4 OLB power rusher like Harrison). Brad's ability to fire upfield and bend around the edge is unmatched on the team currently. But he doesn't have much beyond that.

Sparkey
11-13-2009, 01:55 PM

I agree, so much was made of Thompson in the new 3-4 scheme, that for him to not even get a sniff of real playing time has to be disappointing to most everybody involved.

Smidgeon
11-13-2009, 02:49 PM
Jeremy Thompson did play some from scrimmage against Cleveland. Anybody see how he did?

Brandon494
11-13-2009, 04:25 PM
I like Brad Jones, he played a similiar style of defense in Colorado. He looked pretty good in preseason against 2nd stringers. I really don't think he'll be that much of a downgrade over Kampman.

sharpe1027
11-13-2009, 04:30 PM
I like Brad Jones, he played a similiar style of defense in Colorado. He looked pretty good in preseason against 2nd stringers. I really don't think he'll be that much of a downgrade over Kampman.

He won't be much worse in the pass-rush, since they've had almost none for the whole team. I suspect that we may find out how good Kampman was against the run though.

Smidgeon
11-13-2009, 04:35 PM
I suspect that we may find out how good Kampman was against the run though.

Mad props. I think you're right.

pbmax
11-13-2009, 06:00 PM

Kampman was a better pas rusher than run stopper at end. Not saying a rookie seventh rounder making his first start is going to outplay him, but the gap may not be as big as you think.

The main problem will be experience, and quick recognition.

Smidgeon
11-13-2009, 06:08 PM

Kampman was a better pas rusher than run stopper at end. Not saying a rookie seventh rounder making his first start is going to outplay him, but the gap may not be as big as you think.

The main problem will be experience, and quick recognition.

Yes, he was a better pass rusher (I think), but he was pretty decent at run stopping too. More for the experience and recognition thing. There's a reason everyone ran at KGB when those two were on the line... I think since he's been playing standing up with a better chance to recognize the play, he's been doing pretty well.

Brandon494
11-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Jones looked pretty good today, not bad for a 7th rounder.