PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday

GrnBay007
11-13-2009, 08:59 AM
I think every year we've had this thread posted. Just read an article about a few "leaks" lol So post any deals you hear about!!

I think I've only gone shopping once on Black Friday and ended up getting so frustrated with people I left with nothing. Don't know, might try it this year.

Leaks:

Target - $3 kitchen appliances that include a 12-cup coffeemaker, sandwich maker, toaster and slow cooker.

HDTV deals like a 40" 1080P Apex HDTV for $449 and 30" Westinghouse 720P HDTV for $246.

K-Mart -
-$20 off of popular video games for the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 including, Brutal Legend, Left for Dead 2, Dragon Age, Forza Motorsport 3 and more
-$169.99 for a Nintendo DSI with five games
-50% off Handy Manny fix-it motorcycle
-$379.99 for a 32-inch Sony Bravia 720P LCD HDTV
-$84.99 for a Magellan Roadmate GPS
-Buy-two-get-one free on all Lego sets

Lowe's
-Shop Vac for $29
-Skil four-piece 18-volt tool combo kit for $59.99
-6.5' pre-lit Christmas tree for $38

Office Max
-Acer Aspire One Netbook for $149.99
-Magellan GPS for $69.99
-Memorex 7" portable DVD player for $29.99
-Microsoft Office 2007 for $49.99
-SunGale 7" Digital Picture Frame for $29.99

Partial
11-13-2009, 09:11 AM
Slickdeals.net has a Black Friday forum with all the ads leaked.

There are much better sales this year than last year already. Part of it are electronic prices (LCD TVs, monitors, etc) coming down in price.

Bretsky, the Netbook for 150 is what you should get your kids if you're still in the market for one. I can't recommend a netbook, but the most well-reviewed one as far as I know is the Acer Aspire One.

MichiganPackerFan
11-13-2009, 09:33 AM
I've never gone out shopping on that day. I think I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with an icicle. Or even better, stay home and eat too many leftovers, watch shitty tv and drink beer. Yep, that sounds like a cheap meal, cheap entertainment and beer. Best bargain yet!!!

Scott Campbell
11-13-2009, 09:36 AM

Just a heads up to anyone that might be tempted by the price - don't do it.

Partial
11-13-2009, 09:38 AM

Why? I think it's a really good price. I don't like Netbooks personally but if I was in the market for one, this is a good deal. Then again, the new Atoms are coming out soon.

Scott Campbell
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

Why? I think it's a really good price. I don't like Netbooks personally but if I was in the market for one, this is a good deal. Then again, the new Atoms are coming out soon.

That's just it. This atom is a dog, and is a big part of the reason that you haven't liked netbooks.

You can get one of these, or the virtually identical Gateway for $380 shipped - if you really want a netbook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115655&cm_re=acer_1410-_-34-115-655-_-Product

I wouldn't get young kids a netbook. I'd probably get them a full sized lappy for the same money. Kids game. Netbooks don't.

Scott Campbell
11-13-2009, 09:46 AM
I've never gone out shopping on that day. I think I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with an icicle. Or even better, stay home and eat too many leftovers, watch shitty tv and drink beer. Yep, that sounds like a cheap meal, cheap entertainment and beer. Best bargain yet!!!

I don't go out to shop much anymore period. There are plenty of bargains out there on the web.

Zool
11-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Just a clarification, don't ever get an Intel GPU if you're looking to play games. The Intel 4500 is about as stripped down a 3d processor as you can find. If you are looking for a gaming lappy, you will be spending $800+. I prefer nVidia chips to ATI but thats my personal choice. You will find people on either side of that issue.

Partial
11-13-2009, 10:21 AM

That's just it. This atom is a dog, and is a big part of the reason that you haven't liked netbooks.

You can get one of these, or the virtually identical Gateway for $380 shipped - if you really want a netbook.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115655&cm_re=acer_1410-_-34-115-655-_-Product

I wouldn't get young kids a netbook. I'd probably get them a full sized lappy for the same money. Kids game. Netbooks don't.

Completely agree with you -- but Bretsky wants Netbooks for his kids and it's not my place to tell him otherwise. I really didn't enjoy the experience with either Netbook I've had. The Atom is like a P3. Super, duper slow.

Partial
11-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Just a clarification, don't ever get an Intel GPU if you're looking to play games. The Intel 4500 is about as stripped down a 3d processor as you can find. If you are looking for a gaming lappy, you will be spending $800+. I prefer nVidia chips to ATI but thats my personal choice. You will find people on either side of that issue.

3d gaming, that is. 2d games are processor intensive so this won't matter much. For your typical internet game, for example, that is almost exclusively CPU intensive.

I don't foresee Bretsky's kids playing the latest Doom or Need 4 Speed, though.

Scott Campbell
11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

3d gaming, that is. 2d games are processor intensive so this won't matter much. For your typical internet game, for example, that is almost exclusively CPU intensive.

Maybe not this year. But they sure could be during the life of the laptop.

MJZiggy
11-13-2009, 10:49 PM
007, looks like I may be headed to Target this year. Does anyone have any good Black Friday deals on dishwashers? Mine just bit the dust.

GrnBay007
11-13-2009, 11:39 PM
007, looks like I may be headed to Target this year. Does anyone have any good Black Friday deals on dishwashers? Mine just bit the dust.

HA yep, me too. $3 kitchen appliances looks good. Granted they will be cheaper models, but for $3 who cares.
Haven't had a dishwasher in 3-4 yrs. Always find other, more important, home repairs to worry about. Well, that and spending a couple hundred on a baseball bat.....lol Wish they had a "black friday" for sporting goods.

MJZiggy
11-14-2009, 07:56 AM

HA yep, me too. $3 kitchen appliances looks good. Granted they will be cheaper models, but for $3 who cares.
Haven't had a dishwasher in 3-4 yrs. Always find other, more important, home repairs to worry about. Well, that and spending a couple hundred on a baseball bat.....lol Wish they had a "black friday" for sporting goods.

They do. It's called Craigslist, lol. Or Play it Again Sports (Is that still open? I used to go there all the time but they didn't have them in Tampa)

Scott Campbell
11-14-2009, 09:03 AM
Christmas is in serious jeopardy of sucking this year. What do you get teen girls? They already have cell phones, ipods and cameras. We might have to get them a trip instead of "stuff". It was so easy when they were little.

Bretsky
11-14-2009, 09:25 AM
Slickdeals.net has a Black Friday forum with all the ads leaked.

There are much better sales this year than last year already. Part of it are electronic prices (LCD TVs, monitors, etc) coming down in price.

Bretsky, the Netbook for 150 is what you should get your kids if you're still in the market for one. I can't recommend a netbook, but the most well-reviewed one as far as I know is the Acer Aspire One.

Thanks; I bought one for my wife yesterday; but I got a gift receipt which gives me 30 days to return one. If I can get one for $150 I'll buy a couple and return the one from Best Buy.

Bretsky
11-14-2009, 09:27 AM
As sad as it is, my laptops seem to only last about two years. So I might as well but a cheap netbook

MichiganPackerFan
11-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Christmas is in serious jeopardy of sucking this year. What do you get teen girls? They already have cell phones, ipods and cameras. We might have to get them a trip instead of "stuff". It was so easy when they were little.

A fifth of flavored vodka?

Scott Campbell
11-14-2009, 09:32 AM

That's a nice stocking treat for the kids in Wisconsin, but we don't roll like that anymore here in Utah.

MJZiggy
11-14-2009, 09:41 AM

Give them free passes to ignore you. They already do it anyway and will appreciate the sanction.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Give them free passes to ignore you. They already do it anyway and will appreciate the sanction.

I can't give them those. They just borrow them Mom(s) whenever they like.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

GrnBay007
11-14-2009, 10:34 AM

Asked my daughter. She said GIFT CARDS for clothes! She doesn't like when other people try to pick out her clothes....and a girl can never have enough clothes!
(p.s. mom does not agree with the part of about never having enough clothes)

She also said to throw in the trip too! lol

Scott Campbell
11-14-2009, 10:41 AM
Thanks 007 - sage advice, and we might end up doing that.

GrnBay007
11-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Purchase several gift cards and make it like an Easter egg hunt and hide them around the house.....make em work for it! :twisted:

Bretsky
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Heard Menards might also have a Netbook for $119

When do these official flyers come out anyways ?

retailguy
11-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Heard Menards might also have a Netbook for $119

When do these official flyers come out anyways ?

thanksgiving week wednesday, i think.

Partial
11-18-2009, 09:36 PM
I prefer slickdeals.net for the ads but this site has them as well.

http://bfads.net/

digitaldean
11-18-2009, 10:19 PM
I may see what I can get online for deals. I stood in line when I first got married for several "Black Fridays". NEVER FREAKIN' EVER AGAIN!

If I can find the deal online either on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, great. If not, it ain't happening.

Either way, Christmas this year is going to be cut back in my family. With a forced change in employers (laid off, found a new job, but at a lot lower salary), my kids understand that all of us had to cut back on the wish list. Just thankful to have a job right now. The gifts aren't the reason for the season. I'll just leave it at that......

Hey Partial, I heard Target has Western Digital Elements 1TB Desktop Hard Drive $59.98! I may be tempted to get that for Time Machine on my business MacBook Pro!

Bretsky
11-18-2009, 10:40 PM
I may see what I can get online for deals. I stood in line when I first got married for several "Black Fridays". NEVER FREAKIN' EVER AGAIN!

If I can find the deal online either on Black Friday or Cyber Monday, great. If not, it ain't happening.

Either way, Christmas this year is going to be cut back in my family. With a forced change in employers (laid off, found a new job, but at a lot lower salary), my kids understand that all of us had to cut back on the wish list. Just thankful to have a job right now. The gifts aren't the reason for the season. I'll just leave it at that......

Hey Partial, I heard Target has Western Digital Elements 1TB Desktop Hard Drive $59.98! I may be tempted to get that for Time Machine on my business MacBook Pro!

I don't stand in lines either; I might show up about when the store is opening but that's about it.

I'm keeping my eye out for some cheap netbooks for the kids. We'll see what happens

MJZiggy
11-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Have we heard which appliances Target has for $3. I need a crock pot, but the little 2-cup kind won't do. I need a big sucker.

retailguy
11-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Have we heard which appliances Target has for $3. I need a crock pot, but the little 2-cup kind won't do. I need a big sucker.

what for? :shock:

couldn't you eat for a week out of the little one? :twisted:

MadScientist
11-24-2009, 11:14 AM

That's a nice stocking treat for the kids in Wisconsin, but we don't roll like that anymore here in Utah.

Shouldn't you be getting teen girls in Utah a husband? :twisted:

MadScientist
11-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Even Webkinz and Wizard 101 take more than a netbook can do. The intel 4500 will handle those graphics just fine, but a real CPU and RAM is needed.

Scott Campbell
11-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Even Webkinz and Wizard 101 take more than a netbook can do. The intel 4500 will handle those graphics just fine, but a real CPU and RAM is needed.

How bout the SU2300? AS1410(dual)SU2300 = 750 points (Passmark Score)

MadScientist
11-24-2009, 01:48 PM

Even Webkinz and Wizard 101 take more than a netbook can do. The Intel 4500 will handle those graphics just fine, but a real CPU and RAM is needed.

How bout the SU2300? AS1410(dual)SU2300 = 750 points (Passmark Score)
That should be enough (but if it isn't don't blame me :) ). It's much better than the atom dog. Ideally you could run a few tests on the specific machine, but if you are waiting in line on Friday for it, then there's not much chance.

Scott Campbell
11-24-2009, 02:14 PM
I'll be damned if I'm waiting in any lines. This thing is getting shipped to me, and should make one of the little Mrs's very happy.

MJZiggy
11-24-2009, 07:25 PM

what for? :shock:

couldn't you eat for a week out of the little one? :twisted:

And soon I will have a teenage son...I'm going to need the kind that serves 14.

Bretsky
11-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Interesting

I see Walmart has two cheapie laptops on Black Friday that are probably both better than the Netbooks. One is a HP for 298 and the other a Emachine Laptop (those always scare me) for $198.

SnakeLH2006
11-26-2009, 02:21 AM
Snake used to be all over Black Friday (Internet wise) but have no tech interests this year. Snake has 4 HDTV's now. 3 home theatres. 5 computers (one in every room). And had a PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 since day 1...but a nice read for those that want some cheap deals. I always have the top notch phone too, etc...seriously, I can't think of one tech thing I don't have...and I love that shit....just usually buy it right away.

I'm waiting for the Ultra-HD 3D stereoscopic TV's to come down in price (the next big thing for TV's...Panasonic has one out for $10000). Resolution is 4x that of 1080p HDTV's and puts out 3D without glasses. That is where movies and videogaming will be in 5 years. Check Wiki.

Partial
11-26-2009, 04:54 AM
Snake used to be all over Black Friday (Internet wise) but have no tech interests this year. Snake has 4 HDTV's now. 3 home theatres. 5 computers (one in every room). And had a PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 since day 1...but a nice read for those that want some cheap deals. I always have the top notch phone too, etc...seriously, I can't think of one tech thing I don't have...and I love that shit....just usually buy it right away.

I'm waiting for the Ultra-HD 3D stereoscopic TV's to come down in price (the next big thing for TV's...Panasonic has one out for $10000). Resolution is 4x that of 1080p HDTV's and puts out 3D without glasses. That is where movies and videogaming will be in 5 years. Check Wiki.

Snake spends way too much money on dumb shit. Holy crap man. Biggest. Waste. Of. Coin. Ever.

SnakeLH2006
11-26-2009, 05:08 AM
It's better than wasting my money on cheeseburgers.

Bretsky
11-26-2009, 09:37 AM
Bretsky bought a couple of Compaq Netbooks online for $179 a piece; I can stomach that even if they suck but I think they should be ok for the kids

Thinking about a Laptop if the right deal pops up; wife is going shopping happy for the kids

I need to go with her for damage control

Wife's are expensive
Wife's with kids are more expensive

Scott Campbell
11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Wife's are expensive

+6

digitaldean
11-26-2009, 09:33 PM
Thank heavens, I have a frugal wife.

She said, there's nothing I really NEED to get, so I'm saving myself the aggrevation of the long lines & traffic.

Bretsky, KUDOS on the netbook deal. For $179, I'd say they're a great deal. Saw some that were around that price range but were Linux based OS netbooks.

Freak Out
11-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Heavy snow falling mixed with freezing rain at times......not the best Black Friday road conditions. :shock:

HowardRoark
11-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Heavy snow falling mixed with freezing rain at times......not the best Black Friday road conditions. :shock:

How is the snow at Alyeska?

Freak Out
11-27-2009, 03:39 PM

How is the snow at Alyeska?

Looks a little wet.

http://www.alyeskaresort.com/page.asp?intNodeID=29978

Scott Campbell
11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Hmmmmm.......

http://tanga.com/products/wilson-official-super-bowl-43-all-leather-football-pump-made-in-the-usa--2

MJZiggy
11-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Picked up a crock pot yesterday for $15. Not programmable and only 3 quart, but I can put a timer on the outlet.

Later today I can go to petsmart and explore ways to de-fur a dog (isn't there a vacuum attachment or something?). And pick up a cat tree. A stop at Target to see if the electric kettle I like is on sale, and I'm done.

DC Rats, for pain free Black Friday, run up to Baltimore. The inner harbor hardly had anyone there yesterday--even in Best Buy.

Bretsky
12-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Final Damage Result

Got two Compaq Netbooks for the kids at $179 a pop over the Net
Got Wife one cheap Emachine Laptop for $199; she actualy got up early and misunderstood me.....I wanted her to get the HP for $298...oh well, it's just another net surfer and seems to work fine

Wifee pretty much did all the Xmas Shopping that day as well; fulll damage in triple digits which was better than last year when we revamped the basement with the HDTV

Dam, kids are spoiled these days

digitaldean
12-02-2009, 12:00 AM
I've got 4 things I have to shop for:
1.) Daughter's b-day
2.) Wife's b-day (2 days b4 Xmas)
3.) Wife's graduation from college
4.) and finally.....Christmas.

Kid's done, but I have a feeling I will have to pry some gift ideas out of her soon. She was going to get me a list of what she wanted, but due to those wonderful college classes and finals coming up I'm not having much luck.

B, sounds like you got a heckuva deal on the netbooks!!