PDA

View Full Version : Woodson to return punts

Spaulding
07-27-2006, 04:52 PM
Saw the following article and laughed to hear that Rogers is using the contact prescription excuse for his brick hands in the OTA's :)

Packers: Searching for that special someone
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
jwilde@madison.com
GREEN BAY - They don't know who their kicker will be.

Or their punter.

Or their kickoff returner.

Or their punt returner.

Or their holder (though, with Ryan Longwell gone, that won't get quite as much attention).

Yes, the Green Bay Packers enter training camp with only one special teams spot set - long snapper, where veteran Rob Davis is entrenched.

Otherwise, things are great.

"Does it bother me? No. Is it an area of concern? Yes, because it's not answered yet," said new coach Mike McCarthy, who'll preside over his first training camp practice Friday night.

"But I think that's healthy. Some of the greatest careers in the history of our game have started because of situations like this. You create an environment where there's competition, and to me, that's when good things happen. The best thing we did was create competition in those areas. And I feel very confident that whoever comes out of them - whoever's kicking, whoever's punting, whoever's returning against Chicago (in the season opener Sept.•10) - we'll be fine."

But for a team that lost an NFL-high five games by three points or fewer last season, so much uncertainty seems like a big deal. Especially when you consider the franchise's all-time leading scorer, kicker Ryan Longwell, bolted for NFC North division rival Minnesota and took his 10 career winning kicks with him.

So why isn't new special teams coordinator Mike Stock worried?

"Because we've got good candidates there, good competition there," Stock said.

"I think any one of those guys, if you're looking for two - kicker, punter - any one of those guys could be effective in the league and help us win. As far as the return game, there's a bunch of candidates."

Surprisingly, Stock said he plans to use starting cornerback Charles Woodson as his primary punt returner, ahead of rookie fourth-round pick Corey Rodgers, who struggled catching punts in the minicamps and organized team activity practices. Woodson caught some punts in the post-draft minicamp but skipped the second camp and all 14 OTAs.

"I think the punt return thing will be solved when No.•21 (Woodson) shows up," Stock said.

"He's a Heisman Trophy winner - where else would he get to pose? He wants to do it. In fact, he's the one that suggested it. He's going to be the guy, as far as I know right now. Unless something changes. And then we have good young kids behind him if he needs a break."

Stock said Rodgers went to an eye doctor on the second-to-last day of OTAs and caught the ball better at the final practice because he had his contact lens prescription changed. Rodgers is among a handful of kickoff return candidates.

The training camp focus will be on the battles at kicker (Billy Cundiff vs. Dave Rayner) and at punter (B.J. Sander vs. Jon Ryan). Cundiff and Ryan go into camp looking like the leaders at each spot, but Stock insisted the jobs are wide open.

In fact, they'll compete head-to-head almost daily in practice and share the job in the preseason games. The duels could go all the way to the final cutdown Sept.•2.

"You'd like to use that third game as a target for knowing who the guy is (at punter and kicker), but that might not be the case," McCarthy said. "It may take the whole preseason."

Stock said in games the punters and kickers could alternate kick-by-kick or quarter-by-quarter. Either way, all four will get their in-game opportunities.

"The thing about preseason games is, it's a little iffy. You don't know how many times (they'll get to kick). Do you get to kick off? Do you get a lot of punts? You have to see," Stock said.

"Some people have the philosophy to lop the one guy off to let the team know that this guy is going to be your guy - your kicker or punter. That's how some people do it. But we're going to see. The games will take them to a new level, hopefully, competition-wise."

GBRulz
07-27-2006, 04:54 PM
I guess I don't understand why you would put such a high priced player in a position where the chances of him getting hurt increase substantially.

BallHawk
07-27-2006, 05:33 PM
I guess I don't understand why you would put such a high priced player in a position where the chances of him getting hurt increase substantially.

Agreed.

green_bowl_packer
07-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Hopefully, they flushed all the gun powder residue out of Rodgers eyes so he can get back there. If someone gets hurt at that position, I'd rather have to lose out on a scrub 5/6th string WR; than a starting multi-purpose CB (and that's only if he plays up to his rep).

gbpackfan
07-27-2006, 06:01 PM
I believe that you sign players to PLAY! If C-Wood can make an impact at KR, then let him do so. The guy makes a ton of money, he should earn it. We need all the playmakers we can get. And if C-Wood wants to return punts, is excited to do so, and can make an impact, then he should do it. For the money he is getting, I WANT TO SEE HIM DO EVERYTHING! Even punt! :wink:

LEWCWA
07-27-2006, 06:48 PM
You have to let players play! This crap about making too much money doesn't wash! You pay players alot of money, because they have certain talents. One of Woodsons is returning kicks! He does you no good on the bench! Injuries are part of the game that everyone deals with, but if you coach a team with the mindset I'm not playing so and so, cause he may get hurt you have already lost half the battle! Get the playmakers on the field and let the chips fall where they may!!

Rastak
07-27-2006, 07:14 PM
I believe that you sign players to PLAY! If C-Wood can make an impact at KR, then let him do so. The guy makes a ton of money, he should earn it. We need all the playmakers we can get. And if C-Wood wants to return punts, is excited to do so, and can make an impact, then he should do it. For the money he is getting, I WANT TO SEE HIM DO EVERYTHING! Even punt! :wink:

I actually agree with gbpackfan. He hasn't been the most consistant fellow
and you might as well get as much use out of him as you can. The Vikings have K Robinson listed as #1 reciever but it wouldn't bother me to see him return kicks again this year.

green_bowl_packer
07-27-2006, 07:39 PM
He's returned 12 punts in 8 years for 77 yards, career ave of 6.4 yards!!!

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12841

He's another egotistical dude who wants to do anything he can to get on ESPN, returrn punts and play WR (2 receptions for 27yds career) . Value wise for what he's getting he should play every play to earn his 10 milion, but that's not going to help the team win games. He's a pro bowl defensive back, not punt returner. Rodger's is 2nd all-time in all purpose yardage to L Thomlinson at TCU and 8th all time in NCAA. I say give him a shot.

http://www.packers.com/draft/2006/coryrodgers.phtml

If he wants to beat him out head to head in training camp fine let him, but if he gets hurt doing that before he plays a real game, it won't seem like such a great idea. Deion Sanders did it too, but he didn't have a reputation as being injury prone like Woodson, but most importantly he was actually good at it.

red
07-27-2006, 07:55 PM

not to mention that high priced player already has an problem staying healthy even when not returning kicks

Willard
07-27-2006, 08:09 PM
I am actually starting to think TT & MM might actually have a clue. There is very little downside in "rewarding" your prima donna free agent with such an assignment at the beginning of training camp. Throw the dog a bone. He still must earn the job and he will have to beat out a lot of people.

If he doesn't earn the job for Sept. 10 he has only himself to blame. At least the PAck gave him a shot (which TT probably promised during the courting phase).

Hell, in this age of player ego and selfishness I am almost touched that a bona fide super star like the Heismann trophy winning Chuck Woodson would even volunteer for PR duty -- a role that many others (i.e., Robert Ferguson & Ahmad Carroll) have shied away from.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 08:28 PM

I agree, thats why hes making 10 mil

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:38 PM
I can't believe what I'm reading here!

Has PACKERRATS entered " the Twilight Zone "? That's where I feel I'm at reading this stuff about Charles Woodson being a suitable choice as OUR #1 punt returner.

He's straight up - not good enough to perform that duty and he's valuable to us as a CB with maybe a special assignment as an ocassional WR.

Jeeee - why not allow him to play QB T2? Get your money's worth.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 08:41 PM
Not being good enough is a different story, than shouldn't do it because of the risk of injury. If he shows hes good enough in camp, than why not.

Patler
07-27-2006, 09:30 PM

Agreed.

Tim Brown was Oakland's primary punt returner for 9 or 10 years.

Then too, that might be just a statement to placate Woodson. He said he wanted to play on offense and return kicks, and didn't like it when Oakland didn't let him. Whether he really does return punts or not remains to be seen.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Personally, I don't like it. Brown wasn't injury prone. Woodson is, big-time.

Patler
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
He's straight up - not good enough to perform that duty and he's valuable to us as a CB with maybe a special assignment as an ocassional WR.

As I recall he was a decent punt returner in college.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 10:24 PM
Charles Woodson is at his best when he has the ball in his hands. He doesn't get that opportunity very much as a cornerback. He didn't win the Heisman because of his skills as a corner, he got them because he was purely the best all around football player anyone had seen in a decade. The Raiders were foolish not to use him as the primary punt returner, and they failed to recognize his value to the offense as well. Woodson had silly skills in college with the ball in his hands.

Lets face it he might be more valuable to this team catching punts, and running some reverses or go routes on offense, then just sitting out on an island as a corner.

I say go back and read the history book of Michigan football, read about Charles Woodson, get a mean on, and cheer him on like crazy when he drops back to return a punt or two. Hell, he simply can't be any worse than Chatman.

Just because the inept Raiders failed to utilze Woodson's talents, don't fall into the same trap, Woodson might be a litle more eager and excited to play this game if he is used the way he is supposed to.

Patler
07-27-2006, 10:35 PM
I agree Nutz. Maybe he can be like Deion Sanders, didn't return punts all the time, but was a threat to score whenever he did.

Heck, they're paying Woodson a lot of money, might as well get as much out of him as they can.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 10:37 PM

As I recall he was a decent punt returner in college.

This is the NFL Patler and you of all people understand the meaning of that.

By the way. Glad to see " the Return of Patler ".

This Charles Woodson returning punts "cup of expresso" not Kool-aid . .

is just some of that - just Pre - TC Shock and Awe baloney, we have to put up with as fans.

Is T2 trying to get out of his job? Maybe he and Jim Bates are cooking something really special up for their futures?

I don't expect a player with Charles Woodson's resume regarding injury, to realistically be considered as OUR primary punt returner.

Now, if that is "in fact" the case.

Bye bye to one of OUR Mr. Rodgers.

WOW ! Putting on the brakes. I just read Dr.Nutz post and maybe there is something to this?

I need to study Charles Woodson 101. :mrgreen:

Patler
07-27-2006, 10:45 PM

Well sure it is, but I don't understand how you could call him "straight up - not good enough". He has as solid a resume as anyone else on the roster. The other candidates are just college returners too.

Patler
07-27-2006, 10:47 PM
In reality, I won't be surprised if he returns some, but I doubt he will be the only punt returner. I think some of this might be just to make him happy.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't care that much if he gets injured. They have lots of young guys who can benefit from the playing time. Might as well see if Woodson can make a difference returning punts.

If Woodson turns out to be the Y2K Woodson, I'll change my tune.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:00 PM

Well sure it is, but I don't understand how you could call him "straight up - not good enough". He has as solid a resume as anyone else on the roster. The other candidates are just college returners too.

Patler:

If we were arm wrestling right now, I'd ask you for a re-grip.

Nutz's post said some things to me, I wasn't aware of.

Also, I'm thinking that if T2 and the Coach's have this in mind to give Woodson a shot as the #1 punt returner?

1. They are either souring/soured on Cory Rodgers? or

2. They do want all they can get from C. Woodson for money already spent (maybe wasted ??). How long do we really expect him to be productive for us? or

3. Maybe they are pissed at Woodson for his absence from the OTA's and are going to burn him at the stake?

It all goes with the territory.The learning curve.

:mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 11:02 PM
Woodson also didn't get anything of a signing bonus, so if he gets seriously hurt, he gets cut with no cost to the Packers.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Boy, if Woodson is reading this forum, I bet he has a warm fuzzy feeling.

Welcome to Green Bay! Break a leg!

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:09 PM
Woodson also didn't get anything of a signing bonus, so if he gets seriously hurt, he gets cut with no cost to the Packers.

Nutz:

I thought we guranteed him about $10 Million in the first season, and gave him something like a ridiculous 7 year contract for like $38 Million lovlies?

I wasn't here for that marvelous news.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:10 PM
I think we just started an internet rumor that Woodson broke his leg.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:12 PM

If your correct I say. . .burn him at the stake as he won't be worth a hill of beans within two seasons.

He can play both ways. He can return all kickoff's and punts.

He can run Favre's towels out to him.

Use him up !!! :evil:

Are we in Romper room ? :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 11:27 PM
The Packer did guarantee him 10 million this year but it is a roster bonus that is paid out this year, plus his salary which is paid out this year.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:33 PM
The Packer did guarantee him 10 million this year but it is a roster bonus that is paid out this year, plus his salary which is paid out this year.

Dr. Nutz:

So if it suits T2. Can he be cut any time following this season, and the cost to us only be - that $10 Million?

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of the reason we drafted Jennings, Blackmon, and especially Rodgers because of their prowess at returning kicks in college? I just have a gut feeling Rodgers isn't going to make this team. If he's having problems fielding kicks, then he's in a shitload of trouble.

GrnBay007
07-27-2006, 11:44 PM
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't part of the reason we drafted Jennings, Blackmon, and especially Rodgers because of their prowess at returning kicks in college? I just have a gut feeling Rodgers isn't going to make this team. If he's having problems fielding kicks, then he's in a shitload of trouble.

Jennings will be #2 receiver mid way through ...so he won't be returning punts. :D

GrnBay007
07-27-2006, 11:44 PM
In reality, I won't be surprised if he returns some, but I doubt he will be the only punt returner. I think some of this might be just to make him happy.

hey Patler, seems like you took a little break. Glad to see you back posting again!

Patler
07-27-2006, 11:50 PM

hey Patler, seems like you took a little break. Glad to see you back posting again!

Thanks. It was only a short while. About a week to 10 days or so.

GrnBay007
07-27-2006, 11:54 PM

Thanks. It was only a short while. About a week to 10 days or so.

ouch, that could mean I'm spending too much time here.

naaaa :razz:

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 11:57 PM
Patler, I can't beleive Mad is making you carry around that "Formally known as ShamRock" tag. That's like making somebody wear a scarlet "A" just for a little adultry.

I understand the reasoning for the rule. But it's not necessary, it's nerdy.

time for a revolution. where's nutz or partial? Please delete that stupid rule from the Employee Manual and don't bother to tell Mad.

GrnBay007
07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
Patler, I can't beleive Mad is making you carry around that "Formally known as ShamRock" tag. That's like making somebody wear a scarlet "A" just for a little adultry.

time for a revolution. where's nutz or partial? Please delete that stupid rule from the Employee Manual and don't bother to tell Mad.

Hmmm...trouble at Brokeback Mountain?

HH, I remember that bad blow up you and mich had back at JSO....lets not have a repeat, K? :razz:

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2006, 12:05 AM
this is issue is bigger than my private life. gotta take a stand.

Patler
07-28-2006, 12:06 AM

Rules is rules. I'm a law abiding citizen!
I thought I would expand it to a semi-autobiography with the last phrase.
It's always good to remember where you came from.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 12:44 AM

Come On ! Your not serious?

Most of us from JSO knew that Shamrockfan, was you Patler.

I can see something ala that, if a person was banned for something very serious. Certainly not in your case . .

Patler - Shamrockfan - Patler ' the First '

Your pulling OUR legs.

NewsBruin
07-28-2006, 01:30 AM
Since we've already digressed from the topic, let it be known that I will never call Charles Woodson "C-Wood."

Nope.

It's got to stop somewhere.

I thought it was cute when Kenyon Martin was nicknamed "K-Mart." That's catchy, and it's recognizable.

Tracy McGrady as "T-Mac." Not bad, but kinda overused.

Chris Webber as "C-Webb." Okay, it's running thin now.

I mean, this is sounding like Ray Romano's Saturday Night Live Sportscenter skit.

"So, with the Packer highlights, After a four and out by R-Gross, B-Ur was about to take off B-Fav's head when S-Gad picked up the blitz, allowing B-Fav to throw a perfect pass to D-Drive. M-Mac is taking the G-Pack to new greatness. V-Lom would be proud. Back to you S-Scott."

Sweet sassy molassy, indeed.

Bossman641
07-28-2006, 02:59 AM
Since we've already digressed from the topic, let it be known that I will never call Charles Woodson "C-Wood."

Nope.

I thought it was cute when Kenyon Martin was nicknamed "K-Mart." That's catchy, and it's recognizable.

I mean, this is sounding like Ray Romano's Saturday Night Live Sportscenter skit.

"So, with the Packer highlights, After a four and out by R-Gross, B-Ur was about to take off B-Fav's head when S-Gad picked up the blitz, allowing B-Fav to throw a perfect pass to D-Drive. M-Mac is taking the G-Pack to new greatness. V-Lom would be proud. Back to you S-Scott."

Haha I agree with the nickname thing. We need a little creativity Woodson is still the shit though. Maybe if he's returning punts he'll give us a little "boom goes the dynamite."

Watch this clip if you don't understand. WOrst commentator ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLHLVd6J-E&search=boom%20goes%20the%20dynamite

I say let Woodson return punts, let him catch passes, let him serve water if he thinks he can do it better than what we have. He was a great returner in college. Playmakers need the ball in their hands. At worst he'll get 2 yards when Chatman would have done a fair catch.

Patler
07-28-2006, 07:49 AM

I can see something ala that, if a person was banned for something very serious. Certainly not in your case . .

Your pulling OUR legs.

Actually, Woodbuck, there were a few who weren't sure, and one or two were convinced it was an elaborate ruse by someone trying to pretend they were someone else. I decided to clear up any doubts. Confession is good for the soul!

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:17 AM
"Maybe if he's returning punts he'll give us a little "boom goes the dynamite."

Watch this clip if you don't understand. WOrst commentator ever. " Bossman641

Thanks Man - That was unbelievable. He didn't even cut a sweat!

It suggested to me:

First and LAST DAY on the job.

Scott Campbell
07-28-2006, 08:26 AM
Actually, Woodbuck, there were a few who weren't sure, and one or two were convinced it was an elaborate ruse by someone trying to pretend they were someone else. I decided to clear up any doubts. Confession is good for the soul!

I just assumed you were in the Witness Protection Program.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:31 AM
" Actually, Woodbuck, there were a few who weren't sure, and one or two were convinced it was an elaborate ruse by someone trying to pretend they were someone else. I decided to clear up any doubts. Confession is good for the soul!" Patler

Patler:

Did you add a little edge in the new persona of Shamrockfan?

You certainly held back somewhat on the statistical support for your stances , and by the way Patler . . .

stances - I see as thought provoking and fair.

I'd hate to live in a place where we all agreed, and seldom offered up a challenge to one another. I believe via challenge we grow more in the direction of what's BEST. Too often though people allow their stiffness of personality and self - intervene in participating fully, as the person they deserve to be or he/she bail's out, thus not giving to - arriving at the BEST places.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:35 AM

I just assumed you were in the Witness Protection Program.

Good Morning Scott. Enjoying your summer as well as the forum?

Packers come first 'of course'.

LaFours
07-28-2006, 08:38 AM

Your pulling OUR legs.

To put it in perspective, history actually helps some of us that are relatively new to the forum. I spent some time reading through JSO but I never signed up and contributed. Having some sense of who you guys were over there is beneficial to those of us that have very little history to reflect upon. From my standpoint, its nice to know who you guys were back at JSO (although Snoopy was consistent enough for me).

In regards to Woodson, I feel as though MM should utilize him for anything that he is excited about. As someone mentioned earlier, his contract is such that if he is injured we can cut him loose without taking too much of a hit. The only way he's gonna be able to get out in front of his "injury-prone" rap is to be involved in a significant amount of plays this season. Having him do more than just cover WR's will also give TT and MM a chance to evaluate his health this year and think through the longevity of his career in Green Bay.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Welcome LaFours,

Your point is valid. The one argument for the move is that Woodson really wants to do it. In a way, they could help keep him more interested and more dedicated to his corner play. A professional athlete shouldn't need that motivation. Unfortunately, they often do.

LaFours
07-28-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks! I agree that athletes making millions should not require extra motivation to give 100% but reality begs to differ. Maybe Woodson returning punts is the proverbial "shot-in-the-arm" that this team needs right now. We do lack playmakers (offense, defense & special teams) and if Woodson can come in and make a few plays over the course of the year returning kicks then by all means, let him give the old college try...

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:04 AM

Nope.

Chuck man. Everybody knows who you're talking about when you just say "chuck"

LaFours
07-28-2006, 10:12 AM

Nope.

Chuck man. Everybody knows who you're talking about when you just say "chuck"

How about "Woodchuck?"

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Thanks! I agree that athletes making millions should not require extra motivation to give 100% but reality begs to differ. Maybe Woodson returning punts is the proverbial "shot-in-the-arm" that this team needs right now. We do lack playmakers (offense, defense & special teams) and if Woodson can come in and make a few plays over the course of the year returning kicks then by all means, let him give the old college try...

Good Morning LaFours.

Enjoy this joint as much as your able and post your thoughts as that is what this place is for.

I am officialy on the "let Charles Woodson do anything for us that will make an obvious contribution for a better result". . bandwagon

or allow his ego to be stroked - if that's all it takes for him to give us the value we expect from him. As someone ( sorry ) said:

The more in - the more and harder he works, the better chance he is fit and stays healthy.

So allow him to go all in, at the risk again of a serious injury. For doing a job (returning punts or catching the ocassional pass) that he hasn't shown alot of success at to date in the NFL.

Dr. Nutz really got me looking in (not out) on this last night. When he said. Woodson was underused in Oakland and a player with his credentials (awesome talent in College as the "H" winner) explosive with the ball in his hands - should certainly be allowed to contribute more than just being OUR #1 CB. Al Harris will have something to do with that being 'a fact'.

I certainly believe that C. Woodson should be given the decency of respect he deserves, if he's really all up, to give his most for OUR team.

As Willard said: (and I paraphrase)

That is rare, with the selfishness and protect me first approach of alot of PRO athletes, and at the same time admirable.

GO PACKERS !

Badgepack
07-28-2006, 10:42 AM
I agree with you Woodbuck. Get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Get his confidence back to when he was in college, make him think he's Dion Sanders. We sure have not had any exciting returners for quite a while, so let him have a go of it. You can't limit players for fear of possible injury.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 11:37 AM
I agree with you Woodbuck. Get the ball in his hands as much as possible. Get his confidence back to when he was in college, make him think he's Dion Sanders. We sure have not had any exciting returners for quite a while, so let him have a go of it. You can't limit players for fear of possible injury.

In fairness I wasn't there last evening but the debate here on this issue turned me.

Still, it will be - what it will be.

Always (I trust) one thing - BEST !

GO PACKERS !