PDA

View Full Version : Midseason Grade (Fox)

GrnBay007
11-14-2009, 11:38 AM
Green Bay Packers (4-4)
Grade: C
Making the grade: While being .500 is better than last year's 6-10 mark, this season has become even more disastrous on some levels. The Packers lost both editions of the Favre Bowl against Minnesota and were embarrassed last Sunday in a 38-28 loss against previously winless Tampa Bay. Green Bay's four victories have come against teams with a combined record of 7-25.

Most valuable player: QB Aaron Rodgers. Playing behind a leaky offensive line and holding onto the football for too long sometimes has contributed to Rodgers taking a beating. But even though he has gotten sacked an NFL-high 37 times, Rodgers still has a quarterback rating over 100.

Biggest disappointment: OLB Aaron Kampman. This isn't Kampman's fault. Packers management made a terrible talent evaluation when projecting that Kampman could make the successful shift from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Kampman — who averaged 12 sacks the previous three seasons — only has 2.5 so far. Overall, Green Bay is tied for 29th in sack production with 13.

Health status: The offensive line is a mess with C Jason Spitz on injured reserve and LT Chad Clifton battling season-long ankle problems.

Second-half forecast: The season is probably lost if Green Bay doesn't defeat visiting Dallas on Sunday. The seat isn't quite hot yet, but it's getting uncomfortably warm for head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, especially after Brett Favre extracted his revenge on the Packers for trading him in 2008.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10345940/NFL-midseason-report-card:-NFC-grades

sharpe1027
11-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Hard to argue with much of that. Although the analysis of Kampman looks like the writer took all of twenty seconds to look at sack totals and is using selective stats to support his predetermined premise.

IMO, Kampman has been critical to their run defense, which has been much improved over last year. Also, averaging his sacks over the past three years is cherry-picking stats. His production last year was poor, especially the last 2/3 of the season, suggesting it isn't all about the scheme.

Most of the rest I agree with.

Scott Campbell
11-14-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm far more disappointed with 4/5ths of our O-line than I am Kampman.

Fritz
11-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I would give this team a D+.

The most disappointing player, to me, has been Daryn Colledge.

The most disappointing coach has been Shawn Slocum, followed closely by Campen and then McCarthy.

KYPack
11-14-2009, 02:58 PM

The most disappointing coach has been Shawn Slocum, followed closely by Campen and then McCarthy.

I'd say D+, C- is about right Fritz.

Hawk and Jennings have made that Dis list for me also. I'm not sure if their flat play has been all their fauilt, but I sure as hell was looking for a lot more from both after 8 games.

Patler
11-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Hawk and Jennings have made that Dis list for me also. I'm not sure if their flat play has been all their fauilt, but I sure as hell was looking for a lot more from both after 8 games.

To me, Hawk is what he has been, so not a disappointment beyond what he already was.

Jennings and Colledge are my biggest disappointments. I'm beyond wanting Colledge renewed. Let him go, bring in another.

MOBB DEEP
11-14-2009, 03:57 PM
The seat isn't quite hot yet, but it's getting uncomfortably warm for head coach Mike McCarthy and general manager Ted Thompson, especially after Brett Favre extracted his revenge on the Packers for trading him in 2008.

Even tho i SORTA like BF i dont think his being "let go" should play any role in the evaluation of these bastards. Not like the QB position is lacking; its other personnel moves and game managment that is wrecking packer nation

Fritz
11-14-2009, 06:43 PM

To me, Hawk is what he has been, so not a disappointment beyond what he already was.

Jennings and Colledge are my biggest disappointments. I'm beyond wanting Colledge renewed. Let him go, bring in another.

I'm with you, Patler.

CaptainKickass
11-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm feeling like this team is an 8-8 team right now. I'll be pleasantly surprised at anything better Not so surprised at worse.

It sux.

I give this team a D as of today.

pbmax
11-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Kampman Sacks Through Eight Games:
2009 - 2.5
2008 - 6.0
2007 - 9.0
2006 - 9.5
2005 - 2.5
2004 - 2.5

Pass Defense - Opposing QB ranking (season)
2009 - 75.9
2008 - 71.9
2007 - 75.6
2006 - 75.4
2005 - 86.2
2004 - 99.1

I think Charles Woodson (FA 2006 and Al Harris) have more to do with the success of the Packer pass defense than Aaron Kampman. And those two might be partially responsible for the uptick in his sacks as well.

Kampman might be misplaced as coverage linebacker, but the lower number of pass rush opportunities isn't the reason the team has struggled. His best trait is pass rush but he is not a world beating pass rusher. Our pass defense by some measures reached a peak last year. And that was not his best year rushing the passer. His best year was 2006 and it might be he is declining as a pass rusher.

retailguy
11-14-2009, 10:31 PM
The OL needs a complete overhaul including coaching. Sitton, Wells, & Spitz can stay, the rest are either too old, or incompetent. Need at least one free agent, and then a 1st round top 10 pick for the LT of the future.

Smidgeon
11-14-2009, 10:35 PM
The OL needs a complete overhaul including coaching. Sitton, Wells, & Spitz can stay, the rest are either too old, or incompetent. Need at least one free agent, and then a 1st round top 10 pick for the LT of the future.

Not a fan of Lang (who's shown a ton as a rookie), or are you only talking about starters (which wouldn't make sense because you have both Wells and Spitz on the list)

retailguy
11-14-2009, 10:37 PM

Not a fan of Lang (who's shown a ton as a rookie), or are you only talking about starters (which wouldn't make sense because you have both Wells and Spitz on the list)

I'm tired of the "constant young guy" who's in for "training/development".

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. You can keep Lang & the 1st round top 10 pick, but then, I want NO ONE ELSE with less than three years experience.

Deal? :wink:

Smidgeon
11-14-2009, 11:15 PM

I'm tired of the "constant young guy" who's in for "training/development".

Tell you what, I'll make you a deal. You can keep Lang & the 1st round top 10 pick, but then, I want NO ONE ELSE with less than three years experience.

Deal? :wink:

The Packers players with less than 3 full years in the league that I would definitely take on my team:

Quinn Johnson - I'll nickname him "The Spatula" because he makes pancakes for a living
Clay Matthews - I think he'll end up dominating as a ROLB
T.J. Lang - Unspectacular, yet surprisingly polished for a rookie lineman
B.J. Raji - His pass rushing will only get better and better
Matt Flynn - Hasn't shown much, but I believe he's a gamer
Josh Sitton - Solid. Really solid.
Jordy Nelson - One of those players who will have a long, solid career
Jermichael Finley - Need I even mention why I'd keep him?

So you're telling me you don't want any of these players because they're young and developing? I'm assuming that you're talking about the entire team because you mention the 1st round Top 10 pick who isn't on the Dline.

Your move.

SnakeLH2006
11-15-2009, 01:12 AM
Green Bay's four victories have come against teams with a combined record of 7-25.

Rodgers taking a beating.

Biggest disappointment: OLB Aaron Kampman. Packers management made a terrible talent evaluation when projecting that Kampman could make the successful shift from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Kampman — who averaged 12 sacks the previous three seasons — only has 2.5 so far. Overall, Green Bay is tied for 29th in sack production with 13.

Good spy work 007. That's about what I thought though.

1) We are not that good. We beat up patsies.
2) Rodgers could be elite, but that OL is piss-poor. Rodgers gets skittish but could be so much better if not for that.
3) The Kampy thing is too bad for him at OLB...seems forced. He's a gamer, but gets toasted in coverage and most importantly is not utilized as a Jared Allen-esque beast he could be in his prime at 28 years old. What a waste of talent.

pbmax
11-15-2009, 07:02 AM
Green Bay's four victories have come against teams with a combined record of 7-25.

Rodgers taking a beating.

Biggest disappointment: OLB Aaron Kampman. Packers management made a terrible talent evaluation when projecting that Kampman could make the successful shift from 4-3 defensive end to 3-4 outside linebacker. Kampman — who averaged 12 sacks the previous three seasons — only has 2.5 so far. Overall, Green Bay is tied for 29th in sack production with 13.

Good spy work 007. That's about what I thought though.

1) We are not that good. We beat up patsies.
2) Rodgers could be elite, but that OL is piss-poor. Rodgers gets skittish but could be so much better if not for that.
3) The Kampy thing is too bad for him at OLB...seems forced. He's a gamer, but gets toasted in coverage and most importantly is not utilized as a Jared Allen-esque beast he could be in his prime at 28 years old. What a waste of talent.
Kampman will be 30 in 15 days. And he was never a Jared Allen beast. More assignment sure, less talented.