PDA

View Full Version : Losing The Edge: Sacking Kampman Could Be Double-Edged Sword

Brandon494
11-15-2009, 07:56 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/290209-losing-the-edge-sacking-kampman-could-be-double-edged-sword-for-packers

Pretty interesting, after seeing the defense today without Kampman I doubt we do resign him.

ND72
11-15-2009, 07:59 PM
Franchise him, trade him for a 2nd.

bobblehead
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM
Not sure he would want to resign, but if he is willing they might resign him and use him in a Charles Haley/KGB type of third and long role.

Despite people being down on him, Kamp still collapses the pocket onto the QB with a variety of moves....he isn't a speed rusher, but he never gets stonewalled either.

MOBB DEEP
11-15-2009, 08:02 PM

bingo

gbgary
11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
go back to 4-3 and put him back down where he can have an impact.

ND72
11-15-2009, 08:09 PM
So here is the thing...what do we do now? I personally think we looked more aggressive and more complete today, not that Jones is the answer, but he was decent in his rush, decent in run support, and alright in pass coverage. I think we're better off with someone else there than Kampman at OLB...but where does Kampy play then? Jenkins & Jolly play the 3-4 Ends pretty well. I think Kampy would be better at DE for the rest of the year, but Jolly and Jenkins fit so well.

so what do we do now?

ND72
11-15-2009, 08:10 PM

4-3 is old....our Defense is better than it ever was last year.

Maxie the Taxi
11-15-2009, 08:11 PM

I like the 3-4. I like Kampman. But it's hard to argue with the success they had tonight.

Brandon494
11-15-2009, 08:12 PM
So here is the thing...what do we do now? I personally think we looked more aggressive and more complete today, not that Jones is the answer, but he was decent in his rush, decent in run support, and alright in pass coverage. I think we're better off with someone else there than Kampman at OLB...but where does Kampy play then? Jenkins & Jolly play the 3-4 Ends pretty well. I think Kampy would be better at DE for the rest of the year, but Jolly and Jenkins fit so well.

so what do we do now?

I know its only one guy but I also like the idea of Jones at OLB over Kampman. Jones play a similair style defense at Colorado. I like Kampman and all but he is just not a LB. He also lost some weight this offseason to prepare for his new role so I think he might be alittle light to be DE right now in the 3-4.

ND72
11-15-2009, 08:13 PM

I like the 3-4. I like Kampman. But it's hard to argue with the success they had tonight.

But why? Why did they look so much different tonight? They came out more aggressive, they stayed more aggressive. They ran blitz's that worked, and it seems I haven't seen from them all year....aka, the Pittsburg cross fire blitz with Hawk & Barnett.

Brandon494
11-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Can't change the whole defense for one player when guys like Jolly, Matthews, Jenkins, and others are thriving in the 3-4.

Brandon494
11-15-2009, 08:17 PM

But why? Why did they look so much different tonight? They came out more aggressive, they stayed more aggressive. They ran blitz's that worked, and it seems I haven't seen from them all year....aka, the Pittsburg cross fire blitz with Hawk & Barnett.

This game reminded me a lot of the Bears game. So far this season you never know which defense is going to show up.

Maxie the Taxi
11-15-2009, 08:18 PM

I think there are two big reasons why they looked so good.

First, Bigby and Collins were healthy. Second, they were motivated, fired up.

Pickett, Hawk and Al Harris weren't in on a lot of big plays, but they didn't make mistakes and were in the right spots. I thought Hawk was outstanding. When you got dependable players handling their responsibilities, others can get real aggresive without hurting you.

Partial
11-15-2009, 08:19 PM

This game reminded me a lot of the Bears game. So far this season you never know which defense is going to show up.

Agreed. Don't know what to do about Kamp either.

The Leaper
11-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Kamp is trade bait for someone on the OL who can pass block.

Zool
11-15-2009, 08:46 PM
Dom dialed up some of his old Steelers plays today. One play had Jolly and Picket with their hands on the ground. Jenkings was standing between them. I think Jones split wide of Jolly. Hawk and Barnett playing back. Pickett and Jones start milling around looking lost. Romo starts the cadence and the D rushes to overload the right side and blitz. I believe Jolly dropped into a zone. That has to be confusing as hell for an O.

pbmax
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Dom dialed up some of his old Steelers plays today. One play had Jolly and Picket with their hands on the ground. Jenkings was standing between them. I think Jones split wide of Jolly. Hawk and Barnett playing back. Pickett and Jones start milling around looking lost. Romo starts the cadence and the D rushes to overload the right side and blitz. I believe Jolly dropped into a zone. That has to be confusing as hell for an O.
I loved that call. I was worried until I saw the lineman drop into a zone, then I knew it was pre-planned. A small scale version of 11 Angry Men.

ND72
11-15-2009, 09:08 PM

Or it was Jolly actually saying, "You want me to do what????" and then drop back into coverage...

Sparkey
11-15-2009, 09:12 PM

so what do we do now?

I think by playing Jones, it allows Capers to disguise the pressures easier as Jones is more comfortable in coverage and rushing standing up.

pbmax
11-15-2009, 09:12 PM

I think there are two big reasons why they looked so good.

First, Bigby and Collins were healthy. Second, they were motivated, fired up.

Pickett, Hawk and Al Harris weren't in on a lot of big plays, but they didn't make mistakes and were in the right spots. I thought Hawk was outstanding. When you got dependable players handling their responsibilities, others can get real aggresive without hurting you.
One or possibly two reasons. First, Dom became convinced they could stop the run on their blitzes. He backed off that after the Rams game. That is one reason we looked so vanilla for a couple of games.

Two, the pass rush finally got home. Jones and Matthews were making Romo move even on four man rushes. Woodson got home when he was number 5. And Dom even sent six a few times with double DB blitzes from the same side.

Pressure made the coverage all the better, and its been good when it hasn't had to cover all day.

pbmax
11-15-2009, 09:14 PM

Or it was Jolly actually saying, "You want me to do what????" and then drop back into coverage...
Jolly is the one guy on the line who MIGHT be able to cover someone. We know he has good hands.

Zool
11-15-2009, 09:34 PM

Jolly is the one guy on the line who MIGHT be able to cover someone. We know he has good hands.

What do you mean someone? Guy's so fat he goes to the movies and sits next to everyone.

I kid I kid.

pbmax
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM

What do you mean someone? Guy's so fat he goes to the movies and sits next to everyone.

I kid I kid.
Blanket coverage in action.

Brohm
11-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Hawk destroying those blockers on that x-over blitz let Barnett get in clean. They are finally getting their timing down on that.

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 08:33 AM
If we can't get some OL or RB help in exchange for Kampman, is there a chance we could get some pitching help for the Brewers instead? :D

DonHutson
11-17-2009, 07:24 PM

bingo

I think you could do better than that. Corey Williams brought a #2. Jared Allen was what? A #1 and a #3?

Kampman is closer to Allen than Williams.

Partial
11-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Kampman is almost a year older than Williams, though, so if we were to do the deal near the draft it would be almost a 3 year swing in age of player traded. That will factor into the equation I would think.

get louder at lambeau
11-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I think the same thing should be done that was done when Cullen Jenkins took over the RDE spot. Make Kampy the new KGB- pass rush situations ONLY. I remember McCarthy mentioning this offseason how some crazy high percentage of Kampy's sacks were on 3rd down, so... maybe just put him in on 3rd down in his hybrid nickel role. Badaboom.

Rastak
11-17-2009, 08:42 PM

bingo

I think you could do better than that. Corey Williams brought a #2. Jared Allen was what? A #1 and a #3?

Kampman is closer to Allen than Williams.

Allen brought a #1 and (2) #3's.

Jared Allen was 26.

Kampman is 29 but will be 30 when the trading deadline is expired.

I don't see it.

wist43
11-17-2009, 08:43 PM

bingo

One of the first things I thought of when they announced they were going to the 3-4... he's a 4-3 End - period.

The Shadow
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Kamp is trade bait for someone on the OL who can pass block.

Like Joe Staley, perhaps?

Brandon494
11-17-2009, 11:22 PM
Anyone who thinks we'll get a 1st rounder for Kampman are fooling themselves. We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder, should have traded him during the offseason.

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 11:31 PM
Anyone who thinks we'll get a 1st rounder for Kampman are fooling themselves. We'll be lucky to get a 2nd rounder.

Agreed. We only got a 2nd for Walker, and he was a young, exceptional talent (though coming off a serious knee injury) with good body control and the ability to come down with jump balls (I feel bad for how his career derailed--he was talented). Kampman will be on the wrong side of 30 and will need an established DE on the other end of the line to remain effective.

Fritz
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't see being able to blitz as much on SF. They like to run, run, run the ball. It might be beneficial to have Kampman back on the left at the LB spot.

mraynrand
11-18-2009, 01:00 PM
I don't see being able to blitz as much on SF. They like to run, run, run the ball. It might be beneficial to have Kampman back on the left at the LB spot.

Good point. I'd much rather see Kampman try to tackle Gore than Jones. Gore has a 5.2 av on runs and 8.1 on receptions. Gore is a quality RB. But if they need to take away VD, I don't want to see Kampman used in that coverage. I can see SF using that little flat sideline flare route to VD a lot if Kamp is in there at OLB.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/headshot/G/O/R/GOR411171.jpg

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 01:30 PM

Run blitz!

sharpe1027
11-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Kampman hasn't got the job done. Don't blame the scheme. I have not heard very convincing arguments for why Kampman's production this year is caused by the scheme rather than just being consistent with what he did last year.

Put his hand down? OK, so maybe it makes a little difference, BUT, he's been given opportunities at this and frankly didn't look any better than when he was standing up.

Covering RBs? Hardly ever happens. Shouldn't stop him from being effective the 80%+ of the time when he is rushing.

I call BS. I love the guy, but IMO the reason for Kampman's lack of production falls squarely on his own shoulders.

bobblehead
11-18-2009, 02:15 PM
I think you are all way UNDERestimating Kampman. I'm not saying he has been a game changer, but Jones instead of Kamp made virtually no difference in this game. The difference was we sent the hounds on 3rd down, corners, LB's, even Jarret Fing Bush.

If Kamp starts next week I doubt it will be the big difference in anything. How many times did we send a double crossing middle LB blitz before last week?? Kamp isn't a stud at OLB, but he isn't a defense altering schlep either.

The ONLY quandry is that if he is on the field and we drop him into a zone we will be criticized because he is a very good pass rusher, but again, this D creates confusion by being unpredictable, we have to mix it up regardless of what Kamp does best....Hawk isn't too good in coverage either, but if I have learned one thing over the years its that I can cover Randy Moss if the QB is on his ass in 2.4 seconds. (Ok, he is still likely to toast me a few times)

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
(Ok, he is still likely to toast me a few times)

Although not in the "Let's drink to bobblehead" sort of way...