PDA

View Full Version : Roman cut

b bulldog
07-27-2006, 05:28 PM
Mark Roman was just released by the Packers, WBAY TV 2

BallHawk
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

MJZiggy
07-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Is anybody surprised?

b bulldog
07-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Love the message that was just sent

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 05:31 PM
nah, this isn't a good thing, it's a shame. Although a small event in the scheme of things.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 05:35 PM
Love the message that was just sent

Message: if you lose your job, keep your mouth shut about it.

I don't think this is such a valuable message. Roman had already back-tracked on his foolish, negative comments, I don't think anybody was impressed by them.

Roman wanted off the team, and he got his way. I wish they would have worked something out with him, that would have been the winning outcome. Perhaps not possible.

Partial
07-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Well, the homer in me wants to say "great! Underwood must be making big strides and Manual must have impressed as well". But the common sense side of me is saying Yikes!

We cannot forget that Seattle had the most effective pass-rush in the league last year. They also had very good corners. I personally am not ready to accept Manual as anything more than an average starter at best. After all, Roman did start over him in Cinncinatti ages ago.

It doesn't seem to be a good idea to enter the season with a rookie, 2 sophomores, and Manual.

CaliforniaCheez
07-27-2006, 05:39 PM
It isn't on their website at the time of this post.

You don't just cut starters the way Thompson has cut Sharper,Wahle, and Thomas without attempting a trade or getting some value in return.

If this rumor gets confirmed then Thompson is just not preserving value.

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh, hell, Roman had no trade value. He is the sort of player that teams hope to pick up on waivers. I wouldn't blame Thompson, I think Roman wanted out of Green Bay, and the wisest move was to let him go. Not a big deal, just a tiny misfortune for the Pack.

b bulldog
07-27-2006, 05:42 PM
aS POSTED ABOVE, THIS ILLUSTRATES THAT uNDERWOOD IS SHOWING PROGRESS AND THAT THEY PROBABLY COULDN'T SWING A TRADE FOR A PLAYER OF HIS LOW CALIBER. Great move, the D just got better in regards to tackles missed :D

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I hope you are right about Underwood. Altho I doubt decision on Roman had anything to do with Underwood.

Partial
07-27-2006, 05:45 PM
I hope you are right about Underwood. Altho I doubt decision on Roman had anything to do with Underwood.

Common sense says they were sick of him being a bitch.

gbpackfan
07-27-2006, 05:58 PM
I am a little shocked by this move. Not that it happened, but that it happened before TC even started. I firmly believe that Manual is a better S then Roman, but now we have very little experience at S. Oh well, Roman wasnt anything great so it opens up a spot for someone new to step up. We have lots of guys looking for a chance. Boger, Culver, Bigby, Underwood...etc.

green_bowl_packer
07-27-2006, 06:08 PM
Probably a big F U to Roman to do it to him the day before not only our camp, but pactically every camp in the league starts up. Just might make it harder for him to hook up right away with any team at all. Not ony Underwood for that slot, but how about Woodson in cerain situations? Everyone says Carroll did pretty well at the OTA's he can get on the field too, and not be a big drop off in talent. Makes us seem like a flexible D to say the least.

bigcoz75
07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Reggie Mckenzie was hyping up Bigby in that sleepers article so maybe there's more to that guy than a cool/odd name like Atari.

green_bowl_packer
07-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Double Dip - Sorry

Scott Campbell
07-27-2006, 06:48 PM
He's just not Packer People material.

Just think, only another 25 or so more cuts until we have our final roster.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 06:54 PM
Is anybody surprised?

I am, he looked okay in flashes last year and certainly would have been a serviceable backup this year.

HarveyWallbangers
07-27-2006, 07:07 PM
He's basically just a body. He was atrocious in 2004 and he was serviceable last year. I don't think this sends a message about anything--other than that the Packers feel they have 2+ better candidates to back up Collins and Manuel in Underwood, Culver, Boger, and Bigby. This tells me that Green Bay would be okay with some combination of those guys, and they felt that it was in their best interests to let Roman go early to try to find a job elsewhere. If they felt he was a big upgrade as a backup over those guys, they wouldn't have cut him. Boger has been the talk of camp. From what I've read it wouldn't be a surprise if Boger and Underwood or Culver make the team at backup safety.

Rastak
07-27-2006, 07:12 PM
He's basically just a body. He was atrocious in 2004 and he was serviceable last year. I don't think this sends a message about anything--other than that the Packers feel they have 2+ better candidates to back up Collins and Manuel in Underwood, Culver, Boger, and Bigby. This tells me that Green Bay would be okay with some combination of those guys, and they felt that it was in their best interests to let Roman go early to try to find a job elsewhere. If they felt he was a big upgrade as a backup over those guys, they wouldn't have cut him. Boger has been the talk of camp. From what I've read it wouldn't be a surprise if Boger and Underwood or Culver make the team at backup safety.

Well, I agree with your accessment however despite how they may "feel" about his replacement before a single hit is laid in contact drills, I would think they would keep him as insurance. This isn't a big deal at all but is mildly surprising to me.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 07:18 PM
I hate the move. Why not keep him for depth. :? Manuel has never started a full season, at least roman can say he did that. Plus he only had one year left and he would have played whether he liked it or not. Now all we have for depth is underwood and some other really young guys.

I really hope we don't have any injury's..............

Lare
07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Even though Roman's stats were pretty good last year he was lacking in the one stat that's most important in Green Bay now, age. He was a veteran on a team that values youth, therefore he was expendable.

I'd be very surprised if he was the last veteran we see go before the final roster is set.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 07:29 PM
I see this as a logical move given that, we are re-building and Mark Roman would be offering a tutoring role with OUR young safetys more than anything as he was slated as a back-up.

Tossing the young guns into the firey pit.

He didn't play all that great (alot of tackles),his age and his disenchantment with T2 (M.Manuel) were all factors here, and it was time for him to move on.

Why wait to cut him loose a day before TC opens? I assume that the man has a LIFE and now that goes into an upheaval. I don't like the timing of this call but it could be worse and three weeks into TC . Nearly 40 men will be cut over the next five weeks or so. Mark Roman will possibly find work elsewhere.

We won't miss him.

I assume that T2 feels he had little trade value, as well. In fact. Our depth is lacking and we don't have alot that any team would come calling for.

red
07-27-2006, 07:52 PM
he lasted about 1 year longer then i thought he would.

its a good move, we've seen the best roman had to offer, and it was average at best. this gives the other guys a shot to see what they can do.

the coaches obviously think that manuel or underwood, or atari, or the towel boy has more to offer the roman did

this cut is a good thing, we got rid of another player whose mouth thought he was better then he really was

we'll live, its not like we just cut collins or hawk, or even favre. this guy was a career backup who fell ass backwards into a starting role that he never should have had. he was by far the weakest member of our secondary on paper going into TC (starting wise)

now we can move on and hopefully find a real starter

Willard
07-27-2006, 07:58 PM
I hate the move. Why not keep him for depth. :? Manuel has never started a full season, at least roman can say he did that. Plus he only had one year left and he would have played whether he liked it or not. Now all we have for depth is underwood and some other really young guys.

This move had nothing to do with Roman's ability. I believe he is one of the top 53 players as far as talent/experience goes. It doesn't matter. This is a message pure and simple to everybody who shows up tomorrow. There's a new sheriff in town. He needs to get the attention of every rookie, but especially every veteran. MM and TT are basically saying, anybody who thinks they are above the interests of the team can get the he!! out of Dodge (especially mediocre players like Roman).

TT & MM made a small calculated risk that this move will be a net positive in how the 90-some players compete over the next 30 days. Roman was a sacrificial lamb. Good luck Mark, and good bye. Somebody had to play the fall guy and this year it was you.

retailguy
07-27-2006, 08:05 PM
he lasted about 1 year longer then i thought he would.

its a good move, we've seen the best roman had to offer, and it was average at best. this gives the other guys a shot to see what they can do.

the coaches obviously think that manuel or underwood, or atari, or the towel boy has more to offer the roman did

this cut is a good thing, we got rid of another player whose mouth thought he was better then he really was

we'll live, its not like we just cut collins or hawk, or even favre. this guy was a career backup who fell ass backwards into a starting role that he never should have had. he was by far the weakest member of our secondary on paper going into TC (starting wise)

now we can move on and hopefully find a real starter

Red, I think Roman should sue.

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM
" Red, I think Roman should sue. " retailguy

Do what to sue?

Rastak
07-27-2006, 08:13 PM

This move had nothing to do with Roman's ability. I believe he is one of the top 53 players as far as talent/experience goes. It doesn't matter. This is a message pure and simple to everybody who shows up tomorrow. There's a new sheriff in town. He needs to get the attention of every rookie, but especially every veteran. MM and TT are basically saying, anybody who thinks they are above the interests of the team can get the he!! out of Dodge (especially mediocre players like Roman).

TT & MM made a small calculated risk that this move will be a net positive in how the 90-some players compete over the next 30 days. Roman was a sacrificial lamb. Good luck Mark, and good bye. Somebody had to play the fall guy and this year it was you.

A good take Willard...(as HH already mentioned, Willard was cool before being a rat was cool)....I'd have still kept him on but you could be right.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM

A good take Willard...(as HH already mentioned, Willard was cool before being a rat was cool)....I'd have still kept him on but you could be right.

I disagree, I think this sends the wrong message. He bitched that he didnt want to be team, so they basically gave he him what he wanted. As the team did with Walker and Mckenzie. I am not liking the trend that is going on here. To send a strong message you make the guy play wether he likes it or not. Thats what I would do at least if I was GM. :roll:

MadtownPacker
07-27-2006, 08:43 PM
Hmm, this was sure a surprise. I gotta agree that Roman was a servicable backup. Other then going with the youth movement there was really no reason that at least the public knew about. Must be more to the story.

Can anyone say "Enter, Tyrone Culver"?

Willard
07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Maryland,

I understand your take. It is a concern if players think they can simply bitch enough that they will get tossed off the team. I hope this is not an emerging trend. It would be good if the Pack could lay down the law as you suggest. But there is another concern for this new administration.

MM is in a precarious position being a rookie HC with a questionable resume. He needs to know that the team will get behind his system even though things are not always going to go smoothly. He simply can't afford to keep somebody in the locker room who may be looking for the first sign that the new system is flawed so he can release his poison on the rest of the team. I am only speculating that Roman is that type of man, but it seems to me that it was a concern for MM & TT.

I think one of the most interesting dynamics to watch for this season is how the players rally around MM and his system even when the chips are down. This is especially true of Favre. Will he embrace MM's version of the WCO through adversity or will he fall into his risky style of play exhibited last year?

This was a great lesson in the movie Hoosiers. The new coach wants you to make five passes before you shoot the ball. If you don't listen, you have to sit on the end of the bench even if you are the best player on the team. Does MM have the leadership ability to pull this off? We will soon find out.

The Shadow
07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I would at least give Kurt Campbell a look at backup strong safety. He is supposed to have very solid cover skills - and a LB/SS hybrid used occasionally in the box couldn't hurt, right?
A fast, hard-hiiter who could address 2 positions would be quite nice.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Maryland,

I understand your take. It is a concern if players think they can simply bitch enough that they will get tossed off the team. I hope this is not an emerging trend. It would be good if the Pack could lay down the law as you suggest. But there is another concern for this new administration.

MM is in a precarious position being a rookie HC with a questionable resume. He needs to know that the team will get behind his system even though things are not always going to go smoothly. He simply can't afford to keep somebody in the locker room who may be looking for the first sign that the new system is flawed so he can release his poison on the rest of the team. I am only speculating that Roman is that type of man, but it seems to me that it was a concern for MM & TT.

I think one of the most interesting dynamics to watch for this season is how the players rally around MM and his system even when the chips are down. This is especially true of Favre. Will he embrace MM's version of the WCO through adversity or will he fall into his risky style of play exhibited last year?

This was a great lesson in the movie Hoosiers. The new coach wants you to make five passes before you shoot the ball. If you don't listen, you have to sit on the end of the bench even if you are the best player on the team. Does MM have the leadership ability to pull this off? We will soon find out.

Well, you do have a good piont about the new administration.

But then when is it going to happen? When are the packers finally going to go through a season or two without a holout? The packers got to sometime start putting their foot down and laying down the law or we better just start waiting for the holdout every year.

Patler
07-27-2006, 09:18 PM
This is no surprise at all. As of a weak ago GB was something like 8 players over the limit for the first day of training camp. They have a lot of young DBs, they should be able to find a young guy with a possible up side to him to keep.

Besides, your two backup safeties almost HAVE to be good special teams guys. In fact, a lot of backup safeties are on teams only because of their special teams play, and the team is in a world of hurt if they actually have to play much in the regular defense. I'm not sure if Roman was that kind of guy.

Another factor...the game day roster often has only 3 safeties dressing. If Manual and Collins start, Underwood dresses because he was the leading ST tackler last year. How content would Roman be, last year's starter, not even dressing this year? That's a spot for a young guy.

Good chance for younger guys to show what they have.

Willard
07-27-2006, 09:23 PM
Well, you do have a good piont about the new administration.

But then when is it going to happen? When are the packers finally going to go through a season or two without a holout? The packers got to sometime start putting their foot down and laying down the law or we better just start waiting for the holdout every year.

I am afraid we have entered a sickening new era where we will see this every year. Teams will evolve, and contracts will be restructured to try to discourage this kind of thing. One change this year is the increase in fines allowed for missing training camp if you are under contract. Some teams will find innovative ways to protect themselves. Until then the fans get the shaft.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-27-2006, 09:29 PM
"Teams will evolve, and contracts will be restructured to try to discourage this kind of thing"

Can't wait

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Roman got cut because everyone realized that there are ten other players just like him on the waiver wire right now. He was no Darren Sharper, I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over this move. I have always had faith in Underwood. He is a big time hitter, and he unlike Roman would be happy to compete on special teams. Your backups have to be able to not only contribute on special teams, but excel and dominate that phase of the game. I would rather have younger and more energized players than an old stoodge like Roman.

Patler
07-27-2006, 10:51 PM
Roman got cut because everyone realized that there are ten other players just like him on the waiver wire right now. He was no Darren Sharper, I am certainly not going to lose any sleep over this move. I have always had faith in Underwood. He is a big time hitter, and he unlike Roman would be happy to compete on special teams. Your backups have to be able to not only contribute on special teams, but excel and dominate that phase of the game. I would rather have younger and more energized players than an old stoodge like Roman.

gee Nutz, has one of us had an epiphany? We seem to be agreeing on everything tonight!

Harlan Huckleby
07-27-2006, 10:55 PM
ya, I agree guys like Roman show-up on waivers. But Roman is one of the better rejects who will find a roster spot somewhere.

I wonder what Roman thinks about getting cut. Given the timing, it is not a bad deal for him.

Deputy Nutz
07-27-2006, 10:59 PM

gee Nutz, has one of us had an epiphany? We seem to be agreeing on everything tonight!

Why don't we always agree? :D

SD GB fan
07-27-2006, 11:13 PM
i think he got cut BEFORE TC cos we have a shit load of DBs. something told me that TT was more interested in competition between younger guys than hearing roman complain about losing his starter spot.

MJZiggy
07-27-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm confused. Roman got dumped. He didn't force his way out of town, and last I heard from him he was vowing to earn his starting spot back. There is no holdout here. Coach said today that he's not expecting anyone to be missing camp tomorrow that's not PUP. The only drama here was Harris and he's decided that he'll be a good boy and show up.

Patler
07-27-2006, 11:28 PM

Why don't we always agree? :D

So then, we agree to agree?

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:29 PM
I'm confused. Roman got dumped. He didn't force his way out of town, and last I heard from him he was vowing to earn his starting spot back. There is no holdout here. Coach said today that he's not expecting anyone to be missing camp tomorrow that's not PUP. The only drama here was Harris and he's decided that he'll be a good boy and show up.

Smell that Ziggy ?

Harlan Huckleby
I'm confused. Roman got dumped. He didn't force his way out of town,

It's hard to interpret the things Roman said, what was sincere and what was damage control. Roman is certainly better than some of the safeties in training camp. I think the team decided they didn't want him on the squad, he wouldn't be happy as a role player. And Roman is probably happy about the chance to play on another team.

MJZiggy
Do you guys need a room? :lol:

woodbuck27
07-27-2006, 11:41 PM
Do you guys need a room? :lol:

Of course your directing that to Dr.Nutz and Patler . . .

not Harlan and I (Men's men). jk

RashanGary
07-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Good move. Patler and Nutz bring up good points w/ the ST thing. Roman had no real value to this team. He has little upside, he's not a good special teamer. He's a stop gap starter at best.

I havn't got Wist's take, but if Wist doens't like Barnett because of softness, he must want to rip off Roman's head and davenpoop in his neck just for insult.

Zool
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
I'm trying to find the article, but sometime in the last week M3 was talkin up Atari Bigby and his experience in NFLE.

We could use an Atari on the team this year. I loved that game Combat.

Patler
07-28-2006, 08:22 AM
I'm trying to find the article, but sometime in the last week M3 was talkin up Atari Bigby and his experience in NFLE.

This article was primarily about Lucas, but also stated:

"McCarthy said he likes the enthusiasm he has seen from Lucas and the Packers' other NFL Europe players, a group that includes defensive back Atari Bigby, tight end Tory Humphrey and defensive end Jerome Nichols."

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
another stellar move by mr thompson. being cut the day before camp by a team coming off a 4-12 season has got to burn.what a resume the guy has. ex-bengal, ex-packer whiner. would you hire this guy? sherm the worm's toilet paper roster is slowly disinegrating.

wist43
07-28-2006, 08:47 AM
I saw Roman as a flawed and average player who was never going to make the pro bowl, but he was also a servicable vet.

I think he was more a victim of a dysfunctional defense that never had an identity, and was desperately lacking in leadership both in terms of players and coaches - both on and off the field.

Things improved last year with Bates coming in, and Roman played much better.

Not suprised he was cut though... Hopefully, Underwood or Bigby will step up and show some upside.

Rastak
07-28-2006, 08:50 AM
Atari Bigby has the coolest name on the entire Green Bay team.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Atari Bigby has the coolest name on the entire Green Bay team.

For sure and he looks like he may get there -

The CFL.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 09:03 AM
Why would you think he's going to the CFL? He just yesterday signed an NFL contract with the Packers. He is slated to be the #3 qb.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 09:32 AM
Ziggy,

He was talking about Atari Bigby.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Ziggy,

He was talking about Atari Bigby.

I was kind of confused to.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
Got my weird names mixed up. :oops:

Yes, I would like another cup.

BooHoo
07-28-2006, 08:42 PM
Roman isn't that big of a loss. If he wasn't going to make the team anyway, he might as well be cut now.

However, the timing is strange. Maybe he shot his mouth off in the club room.

Patler
07-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Roman isn't that big of a loss. If he wasn't going to make the team anyway, he might as well be cut now.

However, the timing is strange. Maybe he shot his mouth off in the club room.

Why is the timing strange? They've released players all week to get to the opening training camp limit.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Why is the timing strange? They've released players all week to get to the opening training camp limit.

Roman is more than a camp body. He has beat-out a lot of challengers for the starting safety job the last couple years.

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
I guess I don't see why they are so confident Manual is going to beat him out. I haven't seen Manual so I don't really know how he compares.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 10:16 PM
I guess I don't see why they are so confident Manual is going to beat him out. I haven't seen Manual so I don't really know how he compares.

Thats why we shouldn't of cut him, we at least know roman is servable.

Oscar
07-28-2006, 10:18 PM
No one knows what goes on behind T.T.'s closed doors... :shock: I think the teams direction is young players. And the back up safety or DB's have to be a factor on special teams.. Roman was not that player. IMHO. That is.. :D

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2006, 10:19 PM
well, the point is it was an odd move. Which mean there is more to the story. For instance, maybe Roman didn't want to play in Green Bay. He's no great shakes, so Thompson just cut losses.

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 10:23 PM

I trust the coaches enough to think they had a pretty damn good idea that Manuel would beat out Roman--and probably about 5 other safeties. Manuel was good last year replacing Hamlin. Now, he needs to step up again.

I guess I don't see the big shock with cutting Roman.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 10:28 PM

I trust the coaches enough to think they had a pretty damn good idea that Manuel would beat out Roman--and probably about 5 other safeties. Manuel was good last year replacing Hamlin. Now, he needs to step up again.

I guess I don't see the big shock with cutting Roman.

I for one am not shocked and really it doesn't bother me that much. I just think we were better with him than without him.

Harlan Huckleby
07-28-2006, 10:29 PM
I trust the coaches enough to think they had a pretty damn good idea that Manuel would beat out Roman--and probably about 5 other safeties.

Just like they were comfortable with Freeman and Little at safety last year?

Manuel did not earn a starting job last year, as you point out.

I just don't trust scouting reports. I am not convinced that Manuel is better than Roman, and the coaches don't know either. I think Roman was cut for reasons beyond his abilities as a player.

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
I think Roman was cut for reasons beyond his abilities as a player.

My thoughts exactly

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 10:53 PM

After they signed Little and Freeman last year and got a look at them all offseason, who did they cut because they were comfortable with those two? Nobody. Probably because they got a look at those two, and realized they weren't going to get it done. Apparently, they got a look at Collins, Manuel, Culver, Underwood, Boger, and Bigby this offseason--and felt Roman had little chance of making the team. Of course, other factors weight in, but if this team felt that Roman was going to vastly improve their team or even their depth, he'd still be on the team.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I believe that as someone said: Mark Roman was cut because he didn't fit into T2's re-building plan.

This season is T2's time to really get his feet wet and test the waters.I don't think we can say the Mark Roman fit into T2's plan 2-3 year's down the road.

T2 is a compassionate person in my view.I have some criticisms of his style - yes. Yet, from what I'm seeing of him as a person he weighs dismissals carefully and makes decisions sometimes that are difficult for him.He appears to have compassion.Maybe he's a great actor? I havn't enough yet, to nail him down.

His job isn't easy. Alot of people are scrutinizing his every move. I sure am. I give him credit where I feel it's due, and otherwise I'm all over him on the Forum. I call it as I see it.

In the case of this cut. Mark Roman is better off pursuing employment on another team. He had things working against him, that made it prudent and fair to let him go.

I just don't like the timing of this cut.

Why did T2 wait, to this week to cut a man that had to be looking forward to TC, and maybe developing OUR younger safety's, or just fighting to play with Nick Collins or Manuel Marquand? Even at #3 he provided experienced depth - but he just didn't fit.

T2 is learning to be a GM, and like all of us in a new job, he won't make the perfect decision in all of OUR eyes. He is difficult to read. I don't know if he'll be successful in Green Bay or not, as he's so DAM aloof. He's very hard to read.

Mark Roman certainly provided the depth we are lacking all over, positionaly on OUR team(at safety). Many of us feel it would be better to keep Roman, but maybe T2 has something up his sleeve? Maybe it was strictly fiscally prudent? An easy cut to reduce OUR number below the cap?

I don't know, nor can I guess.

I am hoping, and maybe soon we may understands this cut more clearly in terms of an acquisition to add better balance to OUR team.

In any case, Mark Roman is better off trying to find employment elsewhere. He just didn't fit T2's re-building plan.

That SECRET plan. :mrgreen:

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 12:18 AM
Why would you think he's going to the CFL? He just yesterday signed an NFL contract with the Packers. He is slated to be the #3 qb.

Hey Ziggy.

Please. Take your teeth out before you bite me. :mrgreen:

CaliforniaCheez
07-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Manuel failed his physical and is not part of training camp.

Manuel failed to beat out Roman in 2 prior seasons and even after Roman was signed away in free agency the Bengals cut Manuel. Manuel, a 6th round pick, was a back up last season until the injury of the starter.

It is now up to Underwood, Boger, and Culver to sort out who is the starter.

Roman the number #34 pick overall in the 2000 draft is released with nothing obtained just like Wahle and Sharper.

Will Manuel be ready to play soon????

Partial
07-29-2006, 12:27 AM

Manuel failed to beat out Roman in 2 prior seasons and even after Roman was signed away in free agency the Bengals cut Manuel. Manuel, a 6th round pick, was a back up last season until the injury of the starter.

Roman the number #34 pick overall in the 2000 draft is released with nothing obtained just like Wahle and Sharper.

He'll be starting shortly now. Roman had ZERO trade value

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 12:29 AM

If that is " the TRUTH " one word.

Stink. another, one word reaction. . .WOW !

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2006, 01:09 AM
CaliCheeze is doom and gloom tonight. The Bengals were f'd up back then. Did you happen to watch a lot of Seahawks games last year? They didn't miss a beat when Manuel replaced Hamlin. I was surprised at that. On the other hand, they were in the hurtbag when Manuel got hurt in the Super Bowl. Some players get better or fit into a new scheme better. Some guys don't get better. Don't you think the coaches had some say in this? If they felt Roman had a decent shot at beating out Manuel, don't you think Roman would still be on the team?

Patler
07-29-2006, 01:14 AM

I hope you're just kidding HH. Little and Freeman were signed to one year contracts at veterans minimum salaries. Manual was signed for 5 years and $10 million. I think they are expecting a bit more from him than from Freeman and Little. Freeman and Little were simply offered a chance to make the team, just like O'Dwyer was. They really weren't being counted on.

Patler
07-29-2006, 01:27 AM
well, the point is it was an odd move. Which mean there is more to the story. For instance, maybe Roman didn't want to play in Green Bay. He's no great shakes, so Thompson just cut losses.

Why was it odd? Several players had to be released before today to get to the TC opening limit. The DB roster going into this week was:

S Atari Bigby
CB Will Blackman
S Tra Boger
CB Ahmad Carroll
S Nick Collins
S Tyrone Culver
CB Patrick Dendy
CB Therrian Fontenot
CB Al Harris
CB Mike Hawkins
CB Jason Horton
S Marquand Manuel
S Mark Roman
S Marviel Underwood
CB Jerron Wishom
CB Charles Woodson

7 safeties, and they are likely to keep only 4, at most. Collins will start, as will Manual (You don't give a $10 million contract to be a ST player). TT knows Manual as well as he knows Roman. It was clear which one he preferred. If they like what they've seen in younger guys like Underwood, Culver and Bigby, what good does it do to keep Roman around?

Besides, the part everyone is missing is that veterans prefer to be released earlier rather than later. It gives them a better chance to catch on somewhere else.

When Hunt was injured and got a years salary, people complained about TT for not cutting him before camp to avoid injury risk. Now he does cut Manual before camp, and people complain about that.

Roman has value only as a starter.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 02:07 AM
Patler:

I agree that looking at the situation overall:

That Roman had to be cut and since he's now with "the 49er's" it didn't hurt him as far as his future as asafety that wants to fit. Roman's got his shot now with San Fran.

" Roman started every game, mostly be default, and played almost as poorly as he had the year before. General manager Ted Thompson's decision Thursday to jettison Roman was overdue." Bob McGinn

What has been bothering me somewhat for sometime, is the comments on the health of Marquand Manuel, and I trust he will soon be ready for TC.

I'm trying to determine what is ** Manuel's injury issue. What exactly, is wrong with him physically?

Does anyone here, know the answer to that ?

It ** can't be serious or why would T2 cut Mark Roman? He did - so it can't be serious, but what exactly, is wrong with Manuel?

Patler
07-29-2006, 02:37 AM
What has been bothering me somewhat for sometime, is the comments on the health of Marquand Manuel, and I trust he will soon be ready for TC.

I'm trying to determine what is ** Manuel's injury issue. What exactly, is wrong with him physically?

Does anyone here, know the answer to that ?

It ** can't be serious or why would T2 cut Mark Roman? He did - so it can't be serious, but what exactly, is wrong with Manuel?

I think this is still the hamstring injury he suffered in the Super Bowl. It didn't bother me to read that during the summer sessions. I thought they were just being cautious. But if its the first day of camp, 6 months after the Super Bowl, and he still isn't healed, that DOES concern me at least a bit.

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 03:58 AM
I think allowing him to leave now was very gracious of TT. He got picked up, I note from another thread, by the 49ers.

That was a decent thing to happen. Roman was always going to have a tough time even making this team's roster.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 11:09 AM
I think allowing him to leave now was very gracious of TT. He got picked up, I note from another thread, by the 49ers.

That was a decent thing to happen. Roman was always going to have a tough time even making this team's roster.

Overall.Yes !

GO Packers.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 12:12 PM
My earlier comment about the timing being strange is in thinking that his release was not due to his ability but some other (not reported) reason, i.e. him shooting his mouth off, etc. I am no inside info just trying to read between the lines.

RashanGary
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
They did Roman a favor. I like TT's trigger finger though. I can't imagine anyone feels too secure in that locker room.

The guys that TT likes, he really likes. He paid fair share for Kamp and Bubba. If he doesn't like you, he won't pay a damn penny. He'll even pay to get rid of you. :twisted:

We'll see how that works out, he really seems to believe in that get rid of a guy a year too early instead of a year too late concept.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 12:17 PM
They did Roman a favor. I like TT's trigger finger though. I can't imagine anyone feels too secure in that locker room.

The guys that TT likes, he really likes. He paid fair share for Kamp and Bubba. If he doesn't like you, he won't pay a damn penny. He'll even pay to get rid of you. :twisted:

We'll see how that works out, he really seems to believe in that get rid of a guy a year too early instead of a year too late concept.

Agreed, he did Roman a favor. Maybe he can get picked up by another team. The release may send a good message in the locker room as you mention.

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 12:21 PM

Agreed, he did Roman a favor. Maybe he can get picked up by another team. The release may send a good message in the locker room as you mention.

Well, reading another thread I see that someone already picked up Roman (SF). That didn't take long.

CaliforniaCheez
07-30-2006, 09:42 AM

I hope you're just kidding HH. Little and Freeman were signed to one year contracts at veterans minimum salaries. Manual was signed for 5 years and $10 million. I think they are expecting a bit more from him than from Freeman and Little.

Well, both Little and Freeman were starters on their teams before being signed by the Packers.
Manuel was just a back up and signed as damaged goods.
Here is a link to a story on the starter that Manuel backed up.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2534103

Any word when Manuel may start practicing this year?
It would have been nice to see him in pads before cutting Roman.
Roman's cap # would have been about 55% of Manuel's cap number.

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 10:07 AM
Patler, I have a problem that people are too sure of themselves regarding free agents. (not directing this criticism specifically at you, just in general.)

Woodson may be a champ, also he may be washed up.
Manuel may be no better than Roman, the team has had a hard time finding a safety better than Roman the last 5 years.

Just because Woodson & Manuel got fat contracts doesn't mean that much. It reflects a dirth of free agency talent, which itself is probably due to the rising cap. They are both VERY flawed players, or they probably wouldn't be free agents. Woodson has had injury problems, hasn't had a good season for what? 3 years? Manuel is said to be more of a run stuffer, not so swift of foot.

We'll see.

Patler
07-30-2006, 11:35 AM
Just because Woodson & Manuel got fat contracts doesn't mean that much. It reflects a dirth of free agency talent, which itself is probably due to the rising cap. They are both VERY flawed players, or they probably wouldn't be free agents. Woodson has had injury problems, hasn't had a good season for what? 3 years? Manuel is said to be more of a run stuffer, not so swift of foot.

We'll see.

Oh, I agree. I'm not convinced about anything with Manuel. My comment was only in reply to the comparison you made between Manuel this year and Little/Freeman last year. Harvey suggested that the coaches felt "Manuel would beat out Roman", to which you replied, "Just like they were comfortable with Freeman and Little at safety last year?" I don't think it is a real good comparison. Now if you had said "Joe Johnson" instead of Little and Freeman, there wouldn't have been much anyone could say!!!

The contracts certainly are an indication of what management expects the player will mean to the team. In other words it is a reflection of their "comfort" level with the player. It does not, however, mean they will be correct in their assessments. (See Joe Johnson again!)

The fact that all three safeties were free agents is insignificant without an understanding of the circumstances under which they became free agents. Little was released by Cleveland before his contract expired in spite of the fact his contract with Cleveland was pretty much at minimum levels. Same with Freeman. Miami released him when they still had rights to him in spite of the fact he had been paid little. The gave him a whole $71,000 as a signing bonus in 2004 on a two year contract, yet released him after only one year. Manuel on the other hand was a free agent NOT because his previous team gave up on him, but because his contract expired and he was free to leave a team that, reportedly at least, tried to keep him.

I don't think it is a stretch to suggest the coaches are more comfortable with and expect more from Manuel than they did from either Freeman or Little. Freeman, Little, O'Dwyer were just "guys" who were brought in to see if they could help. Manuel is EXPECTED to help, just like Joe Johnson was EXPECTED to help.

Regarding the release of Roman, I think they believe that even if Manuel is not all he is expected to be, Roman is not that difficult to replace. If not Manual, than one of the other safeties on their roster, or soon to be released somewhere else. In other words, he probably is not much different than Freeman or Little, just a "guy" who might be able to contribute somewhere, given the right circumstances..

Harlan Huckleby
07-30-2006, 11:39 AM
I don't think it is a stretch to suggest the coaches are more comfortable with and expect more from Manuel than they did from either Freeman or Little.

I don't know. Roman was really poor in 2004. I think Thompson expected Freeman &/or Little to be a significant upgrade. Thompson wasn't just taking a flyer on those free agents, it was to fill a need.

Patler
07-30-2006, 01:32 PM
I don't know. Roman was really poor in 2004. I think Thompson expected Freeman &/or Little to be a significant upgrade. Thompson wasn't just taking a flyer on those free agents, it was to fill a need.

I disagree completely. Anyone who has been in the league and can't find a contract for more than the veterans minimum is pretty much a "flyer" for one reason or another, age, injury, ability, attitude or a combination of reasons. In fact, TT as much as admitted that he took a flyer on Little. His agent (Rosenhaus) who had also represented Freeman who signed earlier, contacted TT saying Little was looking for a chance in camp somewhere. TT said when they met he was surpied by Little's preparation and understanding of Bates' defense, so he signed him even though he really didn't intend to. He even acknowledged that Rosenhaus' clients might be fighting for one spot on the roster. Sounds like a "flyer" to me.

Sure there was a need to fill, that's why Thompson drafted two safeties with high picks in 2005 AND signed two free agents while retaining an encumbant starter. The had three veteran safeties who had significant starting experience (Roman, Little, Freeman), and two high picks for two positions. In spite of having Freeman and Little, if you remember the staff routinely said Collins was expected to start right away, and they even suggested that by the end of the season Underwood could be starting too. However, by the end of camp Underwood proved to be less ready than they expected.

I never got the impression last year that they had high expectations for either Little or Freeman. To the contrary, they seemed to have higher expectations for Collins and Underwood. Collins met his, Underwood did not.

I do sense higher expectations this year for Manuel.