PDA

View Full Version : Two Possible Problems

pbmax
11-15-2009, 09:32 PM
1. Aikman apparently thought Rodgers had trouble reading some blitzes and calling the right protection. I was listening to the radio. Anyone here it?

2. Wade Phillips said during the second half SEASON SAVING DRIVE they lost two more DBs in addition to Jenkins. They were unable to play nickel after that point.

Can anyone confirm 1 or be worried about 2?

TennesseePackerBacker
11-15-2009, 09:38 PM
1. Aikman said we ran the most screens in the league so I'd take what he had to say with a grain of salt.

2. On the "drive" jenkins went out after a big 1st down catch, and then hamlin went out later in the drive. You could really tell their defensive line was getting tired during that drive. The running game certainly took some pressure off of Rodgers. I'm not sure how much of a difference it made with both of those guys abscence. A lot of what Wade said is just "coach talk" and posturing, the defense played one of the best games I've seen from a defense in a long time.

Zool
11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
1. Aikman said we ran the most screens in the league so I'd take what he had to say with a grain of salt.

2. On the "drive" jenkins went out after a big 1st down catch, and then hamlin went out later in the drive. You could really tell their defensive line was getting tired during that drive. The running game certainly took some pressure off of Rodgers. I'm not sure how much of a difference it made with both of those guys abscence. A lot of what Wade said is just "coach talk" and posturing, the defense played one of the best games I've seen from a defense in a long time.

Aikman said that and I think it was Buck who said the Packers run more slants than anyone.

I hate those guys.

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 10:09 PM
1. Aikman apparently thought Rodgers had trouble reading some blitzes and calling the right protection. I was listening to the radio. Anyone here it?

2. Wade Phillips said during the second half SEASON SAVING DRIVE they lost two more DBs in addition to Jenkins. They were unable to play nickel after that point.

1. Aikman said it after the one bad miss by Rodgers on a blitz. It wasn't even a blindside blitz. He just missed it.

2. Yeah, the DBs were dropping like dollars on the Love Boat, but the other side's paid to play too.

SkinBasket
11-16-2009, 08:18 AM
1. Aikman also claimed Havner was a practice squad player a couple of weeks ago.

2. Joe Buck knows what julienne fries are because he mentioned them in an attempt to be funny, but then tried to pretend he's too dumb to know because knowing what they are would make him not cool.

Partial
11-16-2009, 08:32 AM
You guys are too hard on the announcers. They can't follow every team super closely and are no better or worse than your typical national media member.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2009, 08:35 AM
You guys are too hard on the announcers. They can't follow every team super closely and are no better or worse than your typical national media member.

I think were uniformly hard on everyone who makes stuff up.

SkinBasket
11-16-2009, 08:40 AM

I think were uniformly hard on everyone who makes stuff up.

boom.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
I don't expect Aikman to know Packer personnel, but I would expect him to know protection and blitzes. That is twice in similar formations we have let the RDE (best pass rusher) have a free shot at the QB. I'd love an explanation.

Zool
11-16-2009, 09:07 AM
If they don't want people to call them stupid, they should stop saying things they know nothing about and trying to sound smart.

g4orce
11-16-2009, 09:46 AM
I don't expect Aikman to know Packer personnel, but I would expect him to know protection and blitzes. That is twice in similar formations we have let the RDE (best pass rusher) have a free shot at the QB. I'd love an explanation.

They are called running plays that Rodgers has the option to pop the slant if it's open. Last game, Clifton was blocking down cuz it was a called run to the right. Rodgers tried to pop the slant but it wasn't there. Ware therefor came unblocked because he's the backside de on the run play no need to block him. Bad decision for Rodgers abd a good play by the cowboys defense. Very surprising Aikman wouldn't see that.

gbgary
11-16-2009, 09:47 AM
reading blitzes...tony dungy said the same thing about romo.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 10:00 AM

They are called running plays that Rodgers has the option to pop the slant if it's open. Last game, Clifton was blocking down cuz it was a called run to the right. Rodgers tried to pop the slant but it wasn't there. Ware therefor came unblocked because he's the backside de on the run play no need to block him. Bad decision for Rodgers abd a good play by the cowboys defense. Very surprising Aikman wouldn't see that.
Its possibly the run-pass option, but Rodgers must know that there is an unblocked DE coming his way and the ball must leave his hand regardless of whether the receiver is open or not. If he can't make that read while making the call, then the run-pass option is problematic at least. Good chance of losing the ball on that kind of backside hit.

Fritz
11-16-2009, 10:21 AM
Zool, Tennessee, et al are correct. A couple of times yesterday my buddy and I wondered if Aikman had actually done his homework on this game or not. So I'm not sure how much credence to give to his claim about Rodgers.

Yes, the other team lost DB's like mad. However, the poster above - I forget who - who said that the Dallas d-line was gassed was correct. It was MM's decision to finally start calling a few runs here and there as much as anything that was the deciding factor. I didn't see too many instances of GB receivers running wild and free.

denverYooper
11-16-2009, 10:36 AM
reading blitzes...tony dungy said the same thing about romo.

According to GBPG, Rodgers has lately been given more responsibility for making protection calls:
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091115/PKR01/91115063/1058/PKR01/Notebook--Rodgers-given-more-responsibility-on-offense

So, some of that may be explained by Rodgers not having to make protection calls before. I don't fully understand though. Was it on the center b4? Or were they just calling a protection and hoping it went ok?

KYPack
11-16-2009, 12:15 PM
Line calls are made from a variety of spots.

The center is the caller on running plays, also on some protections. He's the OL with a vantage point, he can see both sides of the line.

The QB makes line calls as needed and usually on slides in pass pro. That article was probably very accurate. AR has matured and would be the guy to make sophisticated protection calls to save his ass.

Line calls can also come from other spots based on the situation. There was a funny story Frankie Winters told from the Packers SB year. GB had no reliable LT. Ron Wolf called around and got Bruce Wilkerson to play LT. Wilkerson was an old pro on his last legs. But he was experienced and knew how to do a great job of "getting in the way" as needed.

The LT will make a call if he spots an OLB attempting to loop and blitz up the middle. That is called a "whip". The LT will call for a COW block. Center On Whip. Wilkerson spotted this situation and called for the COW block. Except Wilkerson was a stutterer and couldn't get the words out, stammering C-C-C-C. Finally he just went MOOOO. Frankie picked up the Whip move by the backer, all the time trying to keep from laughing his ass off.

There is no excuse for those DE's coming thru clean. At the worst, a FB has to pick that up. I see way too much of that shit. I will happily join the group marching towards Campen with the torches. There are too many goofy things happening with our OLine play.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Line calls are made from a variety of spots.

The center is the caller on running plays, also on some protections. He's the OL with a vantage point, he can see both sides of the line.

The QB makes line calls as needed and usually on slides in pass pro. That article was probably very accurate. AR has matured and would be the guy to make sophisticated protection calls to save his ass.

Line calls can also come from other spots based on the situation. There was a funny story Frankie Winters told from the Packers SB year. GB had no reliable LT. Ron Wolf called around and got Bruce Wilkerson to play LT. Wilkerson was an old pro on his last legs. But he was experienced and knew how to do a great job of "getting in the way" as needed.

The LT will make a call if he spots an OLB attempting to loop and blitz up the middle. That is called a "whip". The LT will call for a COW block. Center On Whip. Wilkerson spotted this situation and called for the COW block. Except Wilkerson was a stutterer and couldn't get the words out, stammering C-C-C-C. Finally he just went MOOOO. Frankie picked up the Whip move by the backer, all the time trying to keep from laughing his ass off.

There is no excuse for those DE's coming thru clean. At the worst, a FB has to pick that up. I see way too much of that shit. I will happily join the group marching towards Campen with the torches. There are too many goofy things happening with our OLine play.

Quick question. Was that play a designed run and then subsequent audible to the hot route pass(never changing blocking). Or was it a designed pass with the line feinting a run block? I think it could be argued either way really. The pass was obviously supposed to be out before the DE could crash down but I think everyone, including Rodgers, underestimated the quickness of Ware.

HarveyWallbangers
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM

I can't claim to know #1.

Regarding #2, look at the completions on those drives. A lot of ridiculously hard throws. Two 3rd and longs with TIGHT coverage, so I can't say that those injuries made it that much easier. Plus, you are talking to a fan who just saw their 6th OL combination in 9 games.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Someone needs to make that a movie. Even if its just an after-school special. Tremendous and funny. Good for Bruce and Frankie.

The run/pass option is not a hot route per se. Its a designed run, where the QB and the WR after a signal (eye contact, blowing kisses, etc) will be the only two planning on a throw. Its meant to take advantage of single-coverage where the defense is playing run and has no one to help the coverage or get in the throwing lane. It must be quick as no one is pass blocking. McCarren talks about these all the time on the radio but it gets comparetively little coverage elsewhere.

ge4orce may be correct that this is what is causing a pass rusher to come free. But Rodgers must know that and needs to throw it away if the receiver isn't immediately open. One of those deals where if the coverage is unexpectedly tight, you throw it where only your guy could catch it. With that alignment, this isn't the play to freelance and wait. Only one person would be running a route.

KYPack
11-16-2009, 12:58 PM
Quick question. Was that play a designed run and then subsequent audible to the hot route pass(never changing blocking). Or was it a designed pass with the line feinting a run block? I think it could be argued either way really. The pass was obviously supposed to be out before the DE could crash down but I think everyone, including Rodgers, underestimated the quickness of Ware.

I erased the Tivo on that game. I thought it was a pass. In some pass pro calls, the QB is responsible to to get rid of the ball quickly. These would be in fire zone blitzes where there are two blitzers on a side. The FB blocks the LB and the QB has the widest man. I know of no slide that would leave a DE for the QB to deal with. All pass pro slides account for the DL, except if you have a boot called. That was a fuck-up and it's on somebody in the line.

Was Rodgers supposed to make a call there?

Mebbe, but I doubt it. If Cliffy was sliding, the TE should handle the 5 tech on that. There's no way he should be free to the QB.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 12:59 PM
I can't claim to know #1.

Regarding #2, look at the completions on those drives. A lot of ridiculously hard throws. Two 3rd and longs with TIGHT coverage, so I can't say that those injuries made it that much easier. Plus, you are talking to a fan who just saw their 6th OL combination in 9 games.
They had some very nice pass plays on 3rd and long. Both Rodgers and the receivers seemed to come through even if the down sequence started with a penalty or a sack.

bobblehead
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
2 things.

First, wilkerson Mooing is fricking hilarious...wish I had heard that before.

Second, Boo hoo that they had DBacks hurt. I've had to watch Jarret Bush line up on Defense 2 weeks in a row, giving up the winning TD vs. Tampa bay, so I don't have much sympathy for any other team having to line up a bad DB.

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 01:04 PM
ge4orce may be correct that this is what is causing a pass rusher to come free. But Rodgers must know that and needs to throw it away if the receiver isn't immediately open. One of those deals where if the coverage is unexpectedly tight, you throw it where only your guy could catch it. With that alignment, this isn't the play to freelance and wait. Only one person would be running a route.

I don't have the game DVRed, so maybe someone else can help out. It seems from my limited memory that the unblocked man might have been right in Rodger's throwing lane so that there was no way easy way to get rid of the ball quickly.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM

I don't have the game DVRed, so maybe someone else can help out. It seems from my limited memory that the unblocked man might have been right in Rodger's throwing lane so that there was no way easy way to get rid of the ball quickly.
I think Rodgers was going or looking to his right and Ware would be on his left. But I remember the replay of Ware better than the play itself so I can't be sure.

My very good friend Bob McGinn just emailed me back saying he is working on "stuff" like this and doesn't have an answer yet. I think he's blowing me off. :wink:

KYPack
11-16-2009, 02:48 PM
We ALL erased the DVR?

That tells ya something.

It was like, "I don't wanna analyze the shit, I'll just take the win!"

The other spot the QB needs to get involved is all these max protects. The QB will make calls to be a traffic cop and reinforce the blocking assignments.

Cheesehead Craig
11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
We ALL erased the DVR?

That tells ya something.

The other spot the QB needs to get involved is all these max protects. The QB will make calls to be a traffic cop and reinforce the blocking assignments.

I still have it on DVR. Just want me to look at the sacks?

gbgary
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
We ALL erased the DVR?

That tells ya something.

it's on the nfl sunday ticket's short cuts this week if anyone wants to re-dvr it. no commercials and only important replays.

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 09:48 AM
On Aikman, didn't he retire because he'd absorbed too many concussions? Just sayin'....

sharpe1027
11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
We ALL erased the DVR?

That tells ya something.

I still have it on DVR. Just want me to look at the sacks?

I was wondering about the sack where Ware? was unblocked. Did Rodgers look like his throwing lane was cutoff by Ware, or did he just eat it because nobody was open?

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 09:53 AM
On Aikman, didn't he retire because he'd absorbed too many concussions? Just sayin'....

Rumor has it he also sustained more than a few from playbooks being thrown at his head when he couldn't tell the difference between a screen, a sweep, and a slant...

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Rumor has it he also sustained more than a few from playbooks being thrown at his head when he couldn't tell the difference between a screen, a sweep, and a slant...

:rs:

nicely played

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM

:rs:

nicely played

Thank you.