PDA

View Full Version : Random Thought (singular)

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 10:34 PM
I'm actually okay with M3 continually trotting out Mason Crosby to attempt FGs longer than 50 yards. He's 1 for 5 this year from that distance. He's definitely got the leg strength. But here's why I'm okay with the tact, even if it seems like just handing over a ton of field position: I think the accuracy will come. Getting the in game experience and ironing out those wrinkles will definitely help.

Ryan Longwell was 6 for 13 (.461) in his first 6 years from 50+, but then improved to 7 for 9 (.778) in his last 3 years in GB. The point being that 50+ yard field goals are no gimmes. I think he'll start hitting them sooner rather than later, and I think we'll be glad we were patient with him when he'll be regularly hitting 50+ FGs.

Just a random thought.

Partial
11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
20% is horrible. I'd rather punt than give the opposition a 60 yard field..

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 10:52 PM
EDIT: Bad data. Deleted post.

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 11:01 PM
20% is horrible.

Right now it is. I happen to think it's worth working out the kinks in the short term if it realizes consistent success in the long run.

Smidgeon
11-15-2009, 11:12 PM
He's actually not that far off from the rates of conversion of the other kickers who have attempted that many FGs from 50+.

The kickers with more than 3 FGs from 50+:
Josh Scobee 2 for 6; 62% overall
Ryan Succop 2 for 5; 78% overall
Mason Crosby 1 for 5; 75% overall

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2009, 05:13 PM
I really disagree. Let Crosby work the kinks out of his long kicks in practice.

Every game I've watched this year -- which includes the two Viking losses and the Dallas win -- the other team has been playing downhill and the Packers have been playing up hill.

Yesterday, it took them into the 2nd qtr. to recover the field position they lost on Crosby's missed field goal.

In a close game against a good, offense, I want the opposition getting the ball deep in their own territory. Especially the way our D was playing. Bad things tend to happen when your backs to the wall and turnovers can lead to seven points.

Partial
11-16-2009, 09:55 PM
He's actually not that far off from the rates of conversion of the other kickers who have attempted that many FGs from 50+.

The kickers with more than 3 FGs from 50+:
Josh Scobee 2 for 6; 62% overall
Ryan Succop 2 for 5; 78% overall
Mason Crosby 1 for 5; 75% overall

Not saying he's far off. I'm saying that whether he's good or not in relation to his peers, unless its a do or die situation I'd rather not kick the field goal in that situation as the opposition has a very short field in the ~50% chance of a miss.

Just my preference as to how I would call the game. I think I'd rather have a stud punter (can pooch and kick for net yards) over a kicker with a big boot.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 10:50 PM
Just my preference as to how I would call the game. I think I'd rather have a stud punter (can pooch and kick for net yards) over a kicker with a big boot.

Well, we're closer to the kicker with a big boot (Crosby) than we are the stud punter (Kapinos).