PDA

View Full Version : Brad Jones

SkinBasket
11-16-2009, 08:39 AM
Didn't look retarded out there last night. Kudos.

Hawk played in a motivated fashion. Barnett limited his retardocity, which I think is very difficult for him, especially since he's never been asked to do that as a matter of team policy. Matthews continues to play well. Fabio Chillar stayed off the field, which is a good thing. Maybe the defense isn't in trouble when Kampman cries like an emo and runs away after this season.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Didn't look retarded out there last night. Kudos.

Hawk played in a motivated fashion. Barnett limited his retardocity, which I think is very difficult for him, especially since he's never been asked to do that as a matter of team policy. Matthews continues to play well. Fabio Chillar stayed off the field, which is a good thing. Maybe the defense isn't in trouble when Kampman cries like an emo and runs away after this season.

I didn't get to see Jones much, but the one time I keyed on him he struggled shedding a block. I thought Hawk played pretty well, and Mathews keeps looking like the best LB on our team.

Fritz
11-16-2009, 08:54 AM
And Rodgers only got skinbasketed about three or four times, right?

Partial
11-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Hawk played a very good game. Barnett was playing downhill and fast. He also was hitting hard. Matthews and Barnett are the two playmakers there and Hawk has surprised me and made me eat crow with his solid, solid play as of lately.

mission
11-16-2009, 09:17 AM
Hawk played a very good game. Barnett was playing downhill and fast. He also was hitting hard. Matthews and Barnett are the two playmakers there and Hawk has surprised me and made me eat crow with his solid, solid play as of lately.

I like how it's just double solid play ... but still solid.

Solid.

Matthews is a beast... he's the Woodson of our LBs core... always around the ball.

I think we're better with Kampman out. Not nearly as big of a liability in flat coverage.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Hawk has surprised me and made me eat crow with his solid, solid play as of lately.

Kudos for owning up to it. :D

Cheesehead Craig
11-16-2009, 11:44 AM
I think Kampy took a poor attitude when he was going to be switched to OLB and thus didn't put all the work in that he could have. I know I'm dissing a fan favorite and I'm questioning his work ethic. He became a very good DE by hustle and desire and I just didn't see that out of him when the switch was made.

If Jones can play just as well and has a better attitude about it, I say ship out Kampy for whatever we can get and move on with life this offseason.

It was only one game, but Jones looked real good.

There's no way Kampy will resign this offseason if he's going to stay an OLB.

The one thing Jones doesn't have is the proper hairdo for the position. Hawk and Matthews got the locks flowing and Barnett has his 15" fro going on. Jones needs to at least shave some goofy symbols or words into his hair to properly fit in.

hoosier
11-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Kampman is expected to return to practice this week. If, after reviewing the film and all that stuff, the coaching staff really feels that Jones played better yesterday than AK had been playing, would MM and Capers have the guts to bench a healthy Kampman? Judging from the way McCarthy has approached other performance problems this year, my guess is that Kampman will get his starter spot back regardless of how Jones grades out. But just maybe the loss to TB created enough of a sense of desparation that MM is now rethinking his approach.

bobblehead
11-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Hawk has surprised me and made me eat crow with his solid, solid play as of lately.

Kudos for owning up to it. :D

I'll join in on this, Hawk has been surprising. He is looking very good, and is part of the reason we are looking better. Also, they are blitzing him more instead of trying to use him in coverage...playing to his strength.

Also props to skin for the huge complement of "Didn't look retarded out there last night. Kudos. " Yes folks thats our team motto...don't look retarded for a shout out.

Bossman641
11-16-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought Hawk and Barnett both played very well. And of course Matthews was all over the field too.

MadScientist
11-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Does anyone have the breakdown of how many times Jones and Clay rushed, compared to Kampman and Clay last week? I'm wondering if having Jones in there allow Capers to call the defense more of the way it should be called, instead of a 3-4 with Kampman usually being the 4th rusher.

Jones may not be a stud in and of himself, but did his presence allow the whole defense to improve?

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 01:43 PM
Does anyone have the breakdown of how many times Jones and Clay rushed, compared to Kampman and Clay last week? I'm wondering if having Jones in there allow Capers to call the defense more of the way it should be called, instead of a 3-4 with Kampman usually being the 4th rusher.

Jones may not be a stud in and of himself, but did his presence allow the whole defense to improve?

There was also a J. Thompson sighting. I noticed that he made the field late in the game. Didn't do much, but he was on the field. Anyone know if that was the only time he was in?

Fritz
11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
I was wondering the same as both of you above. Did Jones's presence allow Capers to call the 3-4 in more creative ways? Did Thompson play more than one or two plays at the end?

3irty1
11-16-2009, 01:49 PM
You've got to be happy with Jones. He seemed to hold down his side well in run defense although he was definitely tested. He's got great speed and seems quick to recognize where the play is going. His pass rush looked so-so and even the backup RT seemed to smother him sometimes but I'd be shocked to see anything more out of a rookie.

With the way personnel has evolved, shrimps at OLB and monsters at DE by 3-4 standards, I wonder if Capers will keep the ILB a staple of the pass rush.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM

There was also a J. Thompson sighting. I noticed that he made the field late in the game. Didn't do much, but he was on the field. Anyone know if that was the only time he was in?

And other special teams plays.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Well in answer to Fritz's question, somewhere (I cannot find it now) Capers said once they made the Cowboys one dimensional, then they were able to blitz freely.

He didn't peg it to the 10 point lead though, he let the dogs go as soon as it was clear they were going to be able to stop the run versus the 'Boys. Which is remarkable in itself, because they played nickel a ton to get Woodson on Witten.

Partial
11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
No film on Jones. Give it a week or two and teams will be exploiting him.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Sadly, I think I agree with one caveat: If Jones keeps improving, film won't negate him. Film on Ryan Grant rendered him ineffective. If he had kept improving, it wouldn't have mattered how much film they had. If Jones doesn't improve, doesn't clean up rookie mistakes, then the film will exploit him.

Fritz
11-16-2009, 03:08 PM

They've got film on Matthews now. Will he be rendered ineffective as well?

Kampman's back on the left side though, per GBPG. He should be starting on Sunday. I hope the Niners prepare to exploit Jones!

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM

No, because Matthews is improving weekly. If Jones improves weekly, film won't render him ineffective. (I don't know why I'm siding with Partial...)

retailguy
11-16-2009, 03:11 PM

see the post above yours...

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 03:19 PM

That assumes he was making significant mistakes or lacking in some particular area, which he very well may have been, it is just not a certainty.

Teams try to exploit even the best players to some degree or another.

Partial
11-16-2009, 04:03 PM

Kampman's back on the left side though, per GBPG. He should be starting on Sunday. I hope the Niners prepare to exploit Jones!

Who knows. It could just be that Jones is a steal and will be a good player. Time will tell, but my guess is he is not great (7th round pick). We'll see, though, here's hoping.

I think Clay is a beast and a special player. We'll see with him, too.

The Shadow
11-16-2009, 04:12 PM
I would rotate Kamp in with the DE's, and allow Jones to play OLB.
Yeah, he's lighter, but he knows how to use leverage to his advantage.
Can;t - at any weight- see him as a liability on run downs (esp. if he's properly rested) and letting him rush the passer plays to his natural strengths.
Don't see Jeremy Thompson on this team next year.

SkinBasket
11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Film schmilm. The guy's a line backer, not a starting pitcher with a tick that gives away the curve.

Brandon494
11-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Brad Jones started 36 games in college playing LB in the 3-4 system, it was no surprise to me that he would look my comfortable then Kampman has all season. Dude is kinda small for 3-4 LB but has great athleticism and ran a 4.5 at his pro day.

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Can;t - at any weight- see him as a liability on run downs (esp. if he's properly rested) and letting him rush the passer plays to his natural strengths.

I don't understand why this couldn't be done. Jones is a talent and shouldn't be riding the bench.

Maybe the experts here could explain why Kampman can't play DE in a 3-4.

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 05:32 PM

I don't understand why this couldn't be done. Jones is a talent and shouldn't be riding the bench.

Short answer, we have better DEs than Kampman already playing and don't need him in the DE rotation.

Medium answer, 3-4 DEs are asked to directly take on linemen much like a DT in a 4-3. Kampman is good against a tackle in space as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLBer, but he would probably get washed out even as a 3-4 DE (even if he hadn't already lost weight).

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2009, 05:34 PM

Short answer, we have better DEs than Kampman already playing and don't need him in the DE rotation.

Medium answer, 3-4 DEs are asked to directly take on linemen much like a DT in a 4-3. Kampman is good against a tackle in space as a 4-3 DE or 3-4 OLBer, but he would probably get washed out even as a 3-4 DE (even if he hadn't already lost weight).

Fair enough. I really like Jones. He was all over the field Sunday. I hope he gets some playing time.

Brandon494
11-16-2009, 05:55 PM
Kampman also lost like 20 pounds to adjust to his new position so I doubt he could even play DE in the 3-4.

The Shadow
11-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Kampman also lost like 20 pounds to adjust to his new position so I doubt he could even play DE in the 3-4.

Leverage means so much. I don't see a rested Kamp getting washed away in the run game, and the pass rush he'd add would be invaluable.

bobblehead
11-17-2009, 07:14 PM

No, because Matthews is improving weekly. If Jones improves weekly, film won't render him ineffective. (I don't know why I'm siding with Partial...)

I disagree, the way to exploit a guy is to beat him in the matchups...the cowboys tried last week and couldn't, you think with more film the next TE or RB or OT will do so much better??

Partial
11-17-2009, 08:02 PM

I disagree, the way to exploit a guy is to beat him in the matchups...the cowboys tried last week and couldn't, you think with more film the next TE or RB or OT will do so much better??

Agreed, but how do you find out what is an effective match-up without having film? Very tough to plan to attack someone you don't know anything about.

Film study reveals weaknesses to exploit and scheme against.

Brandon494
11-17-2009, 08:15 PM

Leverage means so much. I don't see a rested Kamp getting washed away in the run game, and the pass rush he'd add would be invaluable.

Yea but Kampman dropped to 260, you want your DE to be atleast around 290 to eat up blockers. Jolly weights 325 and Jenkins 305, Kampman could not play 3-4 DE.

SkinBasket
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Film study reveals weaknesses to exploit and scheme against.

You mean like teams do to Kampman every week?

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 09:29 PM

I disagree. :mrgreen: To an extent. Especially with young players, they aren't yet complete players. They improve play to play, quarter to quarter, game to game, year to year. While each player has a talent ceiling that will come into the matchup equation (the part where I agree with you), until they reach that and are continually improving and becoming more savvy, things that appeared to be a problem (say a player was susceptible to a fake screen or to out routes or to mug a WR on every route--aka Grabby McFlag) on film won't be a problem the next time they play. The improvement in that case will eliminate the advantage of film because an out route won't be nearly as effective, or because the player remembers the last time he got taken out of his lane chasing a fake screen, or remembers not to mug the WR without taking his wallet too (aka Grabby McFlag--never could learn could he). That's where I disagree.

sharpe1027
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM

IDK, I can't see him not giving up ground to a guard. I am sure he could beat the guy to one side or the other, but taking the blocker head on is another story. Leverage only goes so far.

If you watch Kamp now, he gets up field a little bit and uses the open space so that the blocker isn't able to easily engage him straight on. Watching that compared to Jolly lining straight across from a guard and then crashing head on into the guard just doesn't seem comparable.