PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers. Best QB in league?

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 11:12 AM
I don't know how legit it is since I have only just found the website and haven't yet spent any time understanding their statistics, but Pro Football Focus has Aaron Rodgers as the best QB in the league after yesterday's game: QB Rankings (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=&season=2009&pos=QB&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

EDIT: They also have Aaron Kampman ranked as the 7th best OLB in the 3-4 and Clay Matthews as the 14th best: 3-4 OLB Rankings (http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=&season=2009&pos=OLB4&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1)

Tony Oday
11-16-2009, 11:15 AM
I REALLY like AR but no way. I mean really you have IMO: P. Manning, Brees, Favre, Brady, Rivers in front of AR.

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 11:21 AM
I REALLY like AR but no way. I mean really you have IMO: P. Manning, Brees, Favre, Brady, Rivers in front of AR.

For what it is worth, it looks like his running is what bumped him up several slots.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah, after looking at the stats, I'm not sure I agree with the website at all. It appears that they rank opportunity rather than how well a player does with that opportunity. So if, for example, a CB doesn't get many passes thrown his way, his ranking drops because his opportunities drops. For example, Nnamdi Asomugha is ranked 20 for all CBs. I think people widely consider him the best CB. And if he isn't the best CB, he's very close. Certainly not 20th. Other complaint: they rank 3-4 NTs with 4-3 DTs. Which means that NTs in a "ground-holding" scheme would rank lower than DTs who just have to get upfield. Packers' rankings I disagree with (personally) enough to list:

Aaron Rodgers: 1 (should be slightly lower)
Charles Woodson: 5 (should be slightly higher)
Cullen Jenkins: 9 (should be slightly higher)
Nick Collins: 13 (should be higher)
Clay Matthews: 14 (can't argue this, but I expect to see it increasing)
Johnny Jolly: 30 (should be a little higher--this is 30 out of all 3-4 DEs, not out of all DEs)
Al Harris: 32 (should be way, way higher)
Ryan Pickett: 36 (should be higher, but smurfed due to ranking with DTs as opposed to just NTs)

gbgary
11-16-2009, 03:15 PM
ratings schmatings. it's manning, brady, brees, mr. fauvera...in no particular order. rodgers is good but not in their class...yet.

Tony Oday
11-16-2009, 03:20 PM
ratings schmatings. it's manning, brady, brees, mr. fauvera...in no particular order. rodgers is good but not in their class...yet.

agreed, but he is on his way!!!!!! HOF! HOF! HOF! HOF! ;)

get louder at lambeau
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

That, and Favre is only in that class for the first half of seasons, until he proves otherwise.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 03:32 PM

I agree that Rodgers isn't #1. But this one wasn't based strictly on QB rating. As for rankings, you can't totally disregard those because you're using ranking in your rebuttal by ranking Manning, Brady, Brees, and Favre ahead of Rodgers.

EDIT: Let me reiterate my belief that this website doesn't accurately represent the players. It simply provides a discussion point.

Tony Oday
11-16-2009, 03:54 PM
I think it is a good discussion point. Basically what can AR and the Pack do to elevate the kid into top 5 consideration...my 1st two are a running game and an O line...AR is NOT going to be buying them Isotoners this year! ;)

get louder at lambeau
11-16-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree that Rodgers isn't #1. But this one wasn't based strictly on QB rating.

It looks like it's based on passer rating plus rushing stats.

Smidgeon
11-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I agree that Rodgers isn't #1. But this one wasn't based strictly on QB rating.

It looks like it's based on passer rating plus rushing stats.

i.e. not "based strictly on QB rating"

Plus, they throw in a bunch of their own ratings, so it isn't just the NFL ratings forumla

denverYooper
11-16-2009, 04:48 PM
.AR is NOT going to be buying them Isotoners this year! ;)

Now there's a blast from the past. :lol:

Maxie the Taxi
11-16-2009, 05:24 PM
This opinion is not based on statistics, but Aaron Rodgers is a stud and we should be fortunate he plays for the Packers and not the Cowboys.

He had a fantastic game yesterday. He got rid of the ball when he could. His passes were right on the money for the most part. Did he make any mistakes?

Right now I'd take him over Favre in a heartbeat, mainly because he's got his career in front of him.

Is he in the top five NFL QB. Tough to say, but it doesn't matter. He's our starter, not Brees or Manning or Palmer.

He threw several passes yesterday that either could have been caught for TD's or were just inches short or long.

On top of all that, he's a tough son-of-a-gun, which was a big fear around here a year or two or three ago.

Brandon494
11-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Not the best QB in the league, but the best young QB in the league.

MJZiggy
11-16-2009, 07:15 PM
This opinion is not based on statistics, but Aaron Rodgers is a stud and we should be fortunate he plays for the Packers and not the Cowboys.

He had a fantastic game yesterday. He got rid of the ball when he could. His passes were right on the money for the most part. Did he make any mistakes?

Right now I'd take him over Favre in a heartbeat, mainly because he's got his career in front of him.

Is he in the top five NFL QB. Tough to say, but it doesn't matter. He's our starter, not Brees or Manning or Palmer.

He threw several passes yesterday that either could have been caught for TD's or were just inches short or long.

On top of all that, he's a tough son-of-a-gun, which was a big fear around here a year or two or three ago.Amen, Max!

MOBB DEEP
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM

On top of all that, he's a tough son-of-a-gun, which was a big fear around here a year or two or three ago.Amen, Max!

+2