PDA

View Full Version : O-line played well?

TennesseePackerBacker
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
The more and more I think about this the more it kind of dawns on me. A lot of people are forgetting one important fact. With all of the knowledgeable posters on this board it's really surprising to me that I have not seen one person mention this yet, and I apologize if someone has.

Yes the Packers allowed 4 sacks and had a slew of holding penalties(probably the biggest indication of them being whipped), but they were facing probably the second best defensive line in the NFL. Ratliff and Ware are sure-fire pro-bowlers and Spencer, Bowen, Olshanksy are pretty good as well. We actually averaged 3.8 yards per rush against a defensive line who is not only more talented than our offensive line across the board, but also much bigger.

While the taste of kool-aid is still strong in my mouth, I can't help but think the Packers offensive line actually played a good game against better opponents and maybe, MAYBE, had their best game of the season. Could this possibly be the start of something better? Or just an apparition?

Insight, analysis, and even go-to-hells are appreciated. I'd like to hear other's thoughts on this.

bobblehead
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
I would say 2 of the sacks were on Rodgers and the OL got shafted on no less than 3 holding penalties. They were adequate, and that is a huge step forward.

Lang in for Babre made a monster difference, no question in my mind. Then again, I was starting to think I could line up my 200 lb. 40 years old body and get in the way better than Babre was.

pbmax
11-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Good side:
1. Better run blocking
2. Colledge removed cranium from dark recesses except for OFFSIDES IN YOUR OWN STADIUM!
3. Few jailbreaks, Rodgers had some time and except for the second Ware hit, was able to protect himself and the ball.
4. When Cowboys defense really did get gassed in the 4th (not from running the ball but probably from TOP) they gave ARod a perfect pocket.

Bad side:
1. People still getting walked backward in pass pro.
2. Too many penalties.
3. Not knowing how to align on screen pass.

Given what we have seen? It was better. Ugly, but better.

swede
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Not knowing how to align on screen pass.

Didn't any of these guys run a screen in high school or something?

College spun himself around like a ballerina on steroids, late for her entrance besides, during one failed screen pass.

Clifton is a big man but out in space on a screen pass attempt he was no match for the Dallas linebacker that went right by him to make a TFL.

Fritz
11-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Good side:
1. Better run blocking
2. Colledge removed cranium from dark recesses except for OFFSIDES IN YOUR OWN STADIUM!
3. Few jailbreaks, Rodgers had some time and except for the second Ware hit, was able to protect himself and the ball.
4. When Cowboys defense really did get gassed in the 4th (not from running the ball but probably from TOP) they gave ARod a perfect pocket.

Bad side:
2. Too many penalties.

This just kills me. Rodgers has no pocket to throw from; it's more like a pee hole.

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
This just kills me. Rodgers has no pocket to throw from; it's more like a pee hole.

So, sometimes Rodgers holds his balls too long, but the real problem is that he is throwing from a pee hole?

Fritz
11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Maybe if he'd squeeze his balls harder things would shoot out of the pee hole more quickly.

Damn, that's some serious coach-speak. I could teach McCarthy a thing or two.

retailguy
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
So, sometimes Rodgers holds his balls too long, but the real problem is that he is throwing from a pee hole?

That depends on the argument... It goes both ways around here depending on who is arguing a point.

Seriously, while the OL played "better" it was by no means adequate. They still have a ways to go, but maybe there is hope. We'll see how they do this week and see if they can "string two together".

LEWCWA
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Good side:
1. Better run blocking

Bad side:
2. Too many penalties.

I thought Rodgers pulled the trigger to quickly on some of the screen passes. Didn't let them develope. Understandable, I guess, but screens have to be given time to develope.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I must have been watching a different game. I thought our run blocking was ok, but the pass protection was horrific. The team won in spite of the horrible game from the O-line - IMO.

MJZiggy
11-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Maybe if he'd squeeze his balls harder things would shoot out of the pee hole more quickly.

Damn, that's some serious coach-speak. I could teach McCarthy a thing or two.

I was thinking that I likely didn't want to know what you were referring to by a pee hole--then I read this and knew I was right. Better than a glory hole I suppose...

Brandon494
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
I think they played pretty well, lets not forget Dallas has a pretty good defense.

The Leaper
11-16-2009, 07:11 PM
OL wasn't horrible yesterday...but it wasn't pretty. Pass protection was spotty...especially in the first half. Things got a little better in the second half when we got a few nice runs to help keep the pass rush at bay.

Penalties continue to be a major issue for this group. 5 in a game is really bad...especially when you also give up 4 sacks and about 6-10 other pressures on plays without flags.

OL play on Sunday = C-/D+ mostly due to success in run blocking.

sharpe1027
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
I must have been watching a different game. I thought our run blocking was ok, but the pass protection was horrific. The team won in spite of the horrible game from the O-line - IMO.

I guess it is a matter of perspective. Relative to other games this year and who they were playing against, they did OK. Relative to any other year in recent memory, they sucked.

MJZiggy
11-16-2009, 07:41 PM
The OL was a little better. The special teams was better than a little better, but not particularly good yet. Rodgers was better at getting rid of it faster. The run game improved. There is still a lot of work to do.

ThunderDan
11-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Being at the game, I thought the O-Line was pretty ragged yesterday in pass protection. I couldn't believe Arod's stats after the game. It looked like he was under duress on every throw until the 4th quarter.

I was very impressed with ARod's game moreso when I saw his stat line. First half not good but got it together in the second half to drive 80 yards for the winning TD.

Bretsky
11-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Our expectations for this OL are so low that a poor performance would be considered a huge upgrade

It's amazing AROD is still alive

IMO the OL was poor yesterday, which was an upgrade from what we're used to

pbmax
11-17-2009, 08:22 AM
McGinn gave the O Line their best grade this season. Only Cleveland was close.

Of the four sacks he gives Rodgers responsibility for two, Donald Lee for one and I did not catch the fourth. But he separately declares they achieved a sack free performance. Lang gave up some pressure, was beat once by Spencer and twice by Ware.

cheesner
11-17-2009, 09:14 AM

I guess it is a matter of perspective. Relative to other games this year and who they were playing against, they did OK. Relative to any other year in recent memory, they sucked.
The difference in this game was the play calling and ARod. They ran mostly short patterns the whole game. The pass protection was about the same as the last few games - Rodgers was just getting it out quicker. There seemed to be more max protects also.

3irty1
11-17-2009, 09:37 AM

The difference in this game was the play calling and ARod. They ran mostly short patterns the whole game. The pass protection was about the same as the last few games - Rodgers was just getting it out quicker. There seemed to be more max protects also.

Exactly how I feel. Credit McCarthy's game plan and A-Rods ability to execute it. McCarthy did everything he could to stop the OL from having to block. As one of the most creative offensive minds in football I'm sure it kills him.

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 09:40 AM
As one of the most creative offensive minds in football I'm sure it kills him.

Former most creative offensive minds. See: Waldo's Blog (http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/what-happened-to-mike-mccarthy/)

3irty1
11-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Former most creative offensive minds. See: Waldo's Blog (http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/what-happened-to-mike-mccarthy/)

Good read. And interesting points.

red
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
i wouldn't say it was a good game, but it was a better game

lets face it, the o-line set the bar so low the first half of the season that 4 sacks, 10 hits on qb, more flags, and a 3.8 yards per carry, seems like they played good

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 10:12 AM

Waldo puts up consistently good posts. He had a great one on Raji in the 3-4.

3irty1
11-17-2009, 10:17 AM

I hope McCarthy hasn't lost his creativity but who knows. All it takes is a couple weeks of MTV.

retailguy
11-18-2009, 09:21 PM

this was the game I watched. I don't know what some of these other people watched, but somehow I don't think I saw that game.

Guiness
11-18-2009, 10:52 PM
Good side:
1. Better run blocking

Bad side:
2. Too many penalties.

I thought Rodgers pulled the trigger to quickly on some of the screen passes. Didn't let them develope. Understandable, I guess, but screens have to be given time to develope.

I think Rodgers is in a damned if you do, damned if u don't situation.

He got rid of the ball too soon, didn't let the play develop. I'm guessing that if he held it a little longer, he takes a sack and get trashed for not getting rid of it soon enough :!:

Partial
11-18-2009, 11:45 PM

I hope McCarthy hasn't lost his creativity but who knows. All it takes is a couple weeks of MTV.

:lol: :lol: :lol: