PDA

View Full Version : No! Stop, Don't do it!! Oh crap.

CaliforniaCheez
11-17-2009, 11:48 AM
http://media.jsonline.com/images/532*600/mjs-packers16_-spt_-sieu_-5-packers16.jpg

I hope next season the Packers have a new guy in the booth advising the coach on the headset.

Feel free to had your own caption.

MichiganPackerFan
11-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Looks like Tramon is just a little bit late in trying to stop him. Kind of like on the touchdown to Roy Williams.

Pugger
11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Does anyone know who is up there advising MM on these stupid challenges?

mngolf19
11-17-2009, 12:48 PM
The ref is thinking "really, seriously?"

hoosier
11-17-2009, 12:59 PM
Hard to believe the officials weren't aware that McCarthy should have been penalized for that. And hard to believe that McCarthy wasted a challenge when Nelson was ruled down inside the Dallas 1-yard line on what was going to be, at the very worst, first and goal from the six inch line.

I am becoming less and less impressed by McCarthy's attention to detail every week. It's funny because during his first year he seemed efficient, professional and detail oriented in comparison with Sherman. Is this just a change in perception or has McCarthy really gone from running a tight ship to being incurably sloppy in just four years?

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Is this just a change in perception or has McCarthy really gone from running a tight ship to being incurably sloppy in just four years?

Waldo posted a blog entry on this very topic: Waldo's Blog (http://waldo56.wordpress.com/2009/11/14/what-happened-to-mike-mccarthy/)

cheesner
11-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Hard to believe the officials weren't aware that McCarthy should have been penalized for that. And hard to believe that McCarthy wasted a challenge when Nelson was ruled down inside the Dallas 1-yard line on what was going to be, at the very worst, first and goal from the six inch line.

I am becoming less and less impressed by McCarthy's attention to detail every week. It's funny because during his first year he seemed efficient, professional and detail oriented in comparison with Sherman. Is this just a change in perception or has McCarthy really gone from running a tight ship to being incurably sloppy in just four years?

Its not necessarily a bad idea. They were planning on calling a time-out anyway. Why not challenge it? They were up and it was unlikely that there would be a game changing call that they would need to challenge. The refs actually put the ball at the 1 yd line - I thought it should have been around the 1 ft. line - but that is tough to judge without a perfect camera angle. Personally, I thought he should have won the challenge and they reposition the ball at the 1 ft line. I am not sure if they have to specify what the challenge is 'See if it was a TD' if that limits the refs to checking that or if they were checking on ball placement.

ThunderDan
11-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Its not necessarily a bad idea. They were planning on calling a time-out anyway. Why not challenge it? They were up and it was unlikely that there would be a game changing call that they would need to challenge. The refs actually put the ball at the 1 yd line - I thought it should have been around the 1 ft. line - but that is tough to judge without a perfect camera angle. Personally, I thought he should have won the challenge and they reposition the ball at the 1 ft line. I am not sure if they have to specify what the challenge is 'See if it was a TD' if that limits the refs to checking that or if they were checking on ball placement.

Cheese-

You can't challenge the spot of the ball unless you would get (or lose) a 1st down or a touchdown by moving the spot of the ball. Moving the ball two feet closer to the endline was not a possible result from the challenge.

channtheman
11-17-2009, 02:37 PM
I was able to freeze it right when his knee went down and I could clearly see that it was not a TD. If MM wanted a timeout, he could just call timeout.

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
I was able to freeze it right when his knee went down and I could clearly see that it was not a TD. If MM wanted a timeout, he could just call timeout.

...because M3 has freeze frame replay on the sidelines...

gbgary
11-17-2009, 02:43 PM
i hope we have a new head coach being advised by someone else in the booth.

MJZiggy
11-17-2009, 07:39 PM

Yeah, but if you take a timeout, you get 30 seconds. Challenge the play and you have time to run over to Starbucks...Only problem is that he wouldn't have the challenge left JUST IN CASE he needed it later...

Willard
11-17-2009, 07:48 PM

Bachelor McCarthy worked 20 hours a day. Husband/Dad McCarthy likes to get home in time for some good home cookin--that gets in the way of the game prep...not to mention add about 40 lbs to the mid-section.

CaptainKickass
11-18-2009, 03:57 PM

Bachelor McCarthy worked 20 hours a day. Husband/Dad McCarthy likes to get home in time for some good home cookin--that gets in the way of the game prep...not to mention add about 40 lbs to the mid-section.

This actually sounds logical.

Are there any stats to backup team performance in correlation to McCarthy's coaching while he was single versus coaching after marriage?

pbmax
11-18-2009, 09:31 PM

With both offenses struggling all day, it was well worth risking a timeout to challenge a possible score. Seven points in that game versus a TO? No contest.

Problem was that he got bad advice. With the camera angle with Jordy on the far side of the field, I thought he scored after that replay. But when they got goal-line camera involved, then it was clear he was going to lose the challenge. Either the coaches saw just the first angle, or ignored the other angles and made the call. At this point, I don't have a complaint.

The problem I have with the sequence is his explanation. he said the next playcall was going to go in late and might necessitate a timeout anyway. If this is true and not just a way of explaining a decision gone awry, then there are two possible scenarios, both damaging.

One, they were debating the challenge the whole time rather than a play call. The problem is that if you were debating it that long, you should have seen the second replay. Second, if the delay was incidental to the challenge and the timeout was coming, then you are blurring the line between clever and stupid; you are risking your last challenge on a complete gamble in a tight game.

channtheman
11-20-2009, 12:24 AM

You don't think he's got someone in a booth calling down to him to tell him to challenge something or not? Jesus Christ, come on.

Smidgeon
11-20-2009, 06:12 AM

You don't think he's got someone in a booth calling down to him to tell him to challenge something or not? Jesus Christ, come on.

How do you know that people in a booth have more access than we, the viewers, do? If when the NFL ref reviews the play he only has the angles that the TV networks have, if we in the TV audience get the angles as soon as everyone else does (as has been implied every time a late angle shows up, then a coach has to make a split second decision to throw the flag based on if he thinks the plays shown in TV's replay show something other than what was called, his gut feeling, his player's gut feeling, and whether or not he thinks there will be a late replay that either proves or disproves what he wants. How many times do you see a head coach watching the replay on the big screen before throwing the challenge flag? It's because he's seeing what we're seeing and he probably calls some of those on his own.

There's way more to this than just some guy in a booth somewhere with his eyes glued to a screen. Come on. :roll:

pbmax
11-20-2009, 06:59 AM
The booth does have an HD TV for the coaches, but I think I have read they have access to the regular TV feed and that is all.

Smidgeon
11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
The booth does have an HD TV for the coaches, but I think I have read they have access to the regular TV feed and that is all.

Thank you.

channtheman
11-20-2009, 08:38 AM

How do you know that people in a booth have more access than we, the viewers, do? If when the NFL ref reviews the play he only has the angles that the TV networks have, if we in the TV audience get the angles as soon as everyone else does (as has been implied every time a late angle shows up, then a coach has to make a split second decision to throw the flag based on if he thinks the plays shown in TV's replay show something other than what was called, his gut feeling, his player's gut feeling, and whether or not he thinks there will be a late replay that either proves or disproves what he wants. How many times do you see a head coach watching the replay on the big screen before throwing the challenge flag? It's because he's seeing what we're seeing and he probably calls some of those on his own.

There's way more to this than just some guy in a booth somewhere with his eyes glued to a screen. Come on. :roll:

Yes, watching a replay is SO confusing. I'm saying about 15 seconds after the play was shown, the network showed a replay and I with a DVR could freeze it and see it was no good. You think an NFL team is incapable of something as simple as this?

Let me clarify. This was NOT some special view they showed after the challenge flag was thrown. This was the regular goal line replay they showed almost right after the play.

pbmax
11-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Yes, watching a replay is SO confusing. I'm saying about 15 seconds after the play was shown, the network showed a replay and I with a DVR could freeze it and see it was no good. You think an NFL team is incapable of something as simple as this?
Why doesn't someone email one of the reporters and ask what kind of equipment the coaches have access to? A DVR would help, but is it allowed? By rule they cannot be viewing filmed/videotaped footage during the game. I would doubt they get to have a DVR.

channtheman
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
Why doesn't someone email one of the reporters and ask what kind of equipment the coaches have access to? A DVR would help, but is it allowed? By rule they cannot be viewing filmed/videotaped footage during the game. I would doubt they get to have a DVR.

I was unaware of this rule. If that is the case and you can't have someone with a DVR type device, I stand corrected.

sharpe1027
11-20-2009, 02:54 PM

Yeah, that's why you always see them looking at still photographs on the sideline. Otherwise, they'd have staff glued to TVs and computers.

Guiness
11-20-2009, 03:17 PM

I don't know if I've noticed it much lately, but I used to laugh when you'd see the coach watching the Jumbotron to see what just happened! :lol:

Zool
11-20-2009, 03:22 PM
Network TV also has an 8(?) second delay on broadcasts.