PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Jolly: Cletidus Hunt or Vonnie Holliday?

Fritz
11-17-2009, 04:33 PM
I've been wondering about ol' Johnny. Some people bag on Thompson for missing on Harrell, but he picked up Jolly in the 6th.

But is he going to be worth a big contract, which surely he'd get on the open market (assuming there's a CBA in place and all)?

If he gets a big contract will be turn into Cletidus Hunt, or will he be a professional like Vonnie Holliday?

Sign him or no - what do you think?

Partial
11-17-2009, 04:40 PM
I think the next few weeks he had better be on his best behavior, and be a high character low penalty guy. If these things happen I would think they'd bring him back.

Fritz
11-17-2009, 04:48 PM
That's just the danger, in a way, though, isn't it? Dude's in his contract year I think, and so he's going to do just what you said. And given Sunday's performance and some of his early season work, he'll very possibly be lights-out good.

Which may get him a big payday, which may turn him into Cletidus "I'm Outta the" Hunt.

Or not? That's the question.

It's a pickle.

Cheesehead Craig
11-17-2009, 04:50 PM
I think they need him given Harrell may never come back so the Pack will sign him.

Brandon494
11-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Its hard to answer that question without knowing the person. So far he has looked very good playing in the 3-4 so i would hold onto him if he is not demanding too much.

red
11-17-2009, 05:15 PM
i honestly don't know about jolly

he's a hell of a talent, but i just don't know if his heads all there

DonHutson
11-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Complicating matters further, I doubt they pay him and Pickett after they just drafted Raji in the top ten.

The younger possible headcase, or the older steady vet? May just come down to where they feel Raji's future lies.

3irty1
11-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Although I bet against it in my mock offseason in the garbage can, I think they'll sign Pickett if he continues to play well.+

Partial
11-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Although I bet against it in my mock offseason in the garbage can, I think they'll sign Pickett if he continues to play well.+

This is a virtual lock imo. No way do they move on from Pick. He's the defensive MVP apparently according to some beat writers I've read. Maybe not anymore after Chuck's crazy game.

BallHawk
11-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Corey Williams 2.0?

MJZiggy
11-17-2009, 08:32 PM
I absolutely want to hang onto Pickett over Jolly, but like others have said, you'd have to know him personally to accurately make the call. I think he has enough good influences around him that they aren't going to tolerate too much Cletidus out of him. Several of the older vets want to win. NOW or next season and I'm sure they have their ways to motivate him...

steve823
11-17-2009, 09:56 PM
Pickett is first then Jolly, but we should sign them both we should have plenty of room. Especially since most likely Harrell and Kampman:( will be gone and that free up a lot of space

mraynrand
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
'Ole Cleedeeus is better den dat Jolly Holiday!

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/OleCleedeeus.jpg

Scott Campbell
11-17-2009, 10:16 PM

Didn't he used to have some bling?

mraynrand
11-17-2009, 10:26 PM

Dats only wen Ize be gwan out for de night

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/CleditusBling.jpg

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Pickett is first then Jolly, but we should sign them both we should have plenty of room. Especially since most likely Harrell and Kampman:( will be gone and that free up a lot of space

Cap space is fairly irrelevant considering how well the Packers manage it. Also, I don't remember what Harrell's is, but I think it isn't high (anymore).

Bossman641
11-17-2009, 11:46 PM

Cap space is fairly irrelevant considering how well the Packers manage it. Also, I don't remember what Harrell's is, but I think it isn't high (anymore).

If I remember right, Harrell has a bonus coming due next year. The general consensus when he was placed on IR for the year was that it made sense to keep him around and see if he can get healthy. Don't know the timing of the bonus, or the amount, but I do know he has one coming due.

Kiwon
11-18-2009, 01:20 AM
"Johnny Jolly: Cletidus Hunt or Vonnie Holliday?" - Tell me how many gold teeth he has and I'll give you an answer.

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 06:06 AM

If I remember right, Harrell has a bonus coming due next year. The general consensus when he was placed on IR for the year was that it made sense to keep him around and see if he can get healthy. Don't know the timing of the bonus, or the amount, but I do know he has one coming due.

Is that a bonus or a higher base salary? I think they can get him through training camp without much of a financial commitment. I could be wrong though.

Fritz
11-18-2009, 06:51 AM
This would be a tough call to make for a GM. The dude looks good at times, really pretty darn good, but he also apparently has a reputation for being a bit of a loose cannon.

Who knows if a big payday will shut his motor off?

And I don't know that other players can do much. What are they going to do, beat him up? Use peer pressure? The guy will be planning his episode of cribs after he gets his new mansion, and someone will be telling him he has to play better or else?

I don't know. This is one tough call.

Sparkey
11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
This would be a tough call to make for a GM. The dude looks good at times, really pretty darn good, but he also apparently has a reputation for being a bit of a loose cannon.

And I don't know that other players can do much. What are they going to do, beat him up? Use peer pressure? The guy will be planning his episode of cribs after he gets his new mansion, and someone will be telling him he has to play better or else?

I think nothing will happen until his legal issues in Houston are cleared up.

MOBB DEEP
11-18-2009, 07:57 AM

Dats only wen Ize be gwan out for de night

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/CleditusBling.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Didnt someone else used to post this image? Or have you change your name since back then mraynrand?

KYPack
11-18-2009, 08:14 AM

I really doubt much ever happens with that case. The Houston DA can't file the original charges. They were wildly overblown. The charges he can file are so minor, Jolly probably will get dismissed or he will cop to a non-suspension type charge like loitering or something.

mraynrand
11-18-2009, 08:22 AM
I really doubt much ever happens with that case. The Houston DA can't file the original charges. They were wildly overblown. The charges he can file are so minor, Jolly probably will get dismissed or he will cop to a non-suspension type charge like loitering or something.

Pretty much describes his play last year.

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 08:29 AM

Let's be honest: if I got a big payday, I'd be planning my episode of Cribs too.

mraynrand
11-18-2009, 08:36 AM

Let's be honest: if I got a big payday, I'd be planning my episode of Cribs too.

Or planning something else...

http://www.taylorbrooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lawrence-office-space.jpg

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 08:49 AM

http://www.taylorbrooks.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/lawrence-office-space.jpg

Planning to start working in construction?
Planning on growing a long moustache?
Planning on growing long hair?
Planning on wearing solid colors?
Planning on speaking in a growly voice and saying "f*cking A" all the time?
Help me out here...

mraynrand
11-18-2009, 08:56 AM
"Lawrence, what would you do if you had a million dollars?"

MJZiggy
11-18-2009, 06:54 PM

GB usually gives pretty cap-friendly contracts. If he sucks and has to go, we cut him. If there's doubt, I'd bet we see some performance accelerators in there as well. The real trick is what if he comes due in a cap-free year?

pbmax
11-18-2009, 08:42 PM
My impression is that Jolly has played harder and for longer stretches than Hunt. Hunt had one big contract drive. Jolly played well in 07, won the starting job, and was hurt during the season. After the injury, he came back to start.

I think he is a safer bet. But I am not sure he has the same potential as Hunt had. So you would be paying for what you have seen, which this year has been pretty good.

MichiganPackerFan
11-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Didnt someone else used to post this image? Or have you change your name since back then mraynrand?

I remember this floating around on JSO...

red
11-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Planning to start working in construction?
Planning on growing a long moustache?
Planning on growing long hair?
Planning on wearing solid colors?
Planning on speaking in a growly voice and saying "f*cking A" all the time?
Help me out here...

2 chicks at the same time

red
11-19-2009, 02:37 PM
cledius hunt nothing

how bout worried about him getting his big payday and turning into mike mccarthy? now theres a guy that looks like he got his big deal and cashed in all his chips

Smidgeon
11-19-2009, 02:38 PM
[N]ow theres a guy that looks like he got his big deal and cashed in all his chips

...or ate them.

Sparkey
11-20-2009, 11:15 AM

BUT, he could fall under the leagues 4 game suspension ruling, depending on the charges and his plea, or verdict.