PDA

View Full Version : Joke Bowl (aka Pro Bowl)

Smidgeon
11-17-2009, 09:19 PM
I know it's already well known and been established, but the Pro Bowl is and continues to be a joke. Last year (or was it the year before last) the Cowboys had 10 players in the pro bowl but were one and done in the playoffs. This year, the Vikings are trending towards that same thing (not necessarily the playoffs thing, but the so many in the pro bowl). Right now, per PFT, Vikings players have the most votes at 10 different positions, and Favre is second to Brees in the NFC. If that continues and they get 11 people into the Pro Bowl, objectively they should be the greatest team in NFL history because half the team was in the Pro Bowl. They aren't that good, and the Pro Bowl should reflect that.

Until fan voting is regulated the same way coach and player voting is (one vote per person), the whole thing remains a charade. I would be in favor eliminating the fan portion all together. It undermines the integrity of the pro bowl whose purpose is to reward the best players in the game. Contracts continue to be built with pro bowl participation escalators, and some players may never get the pro bowl they deserve because they aren't the popular player even though they may be far superior. You see it year after year, players whose play has declined get voted in, because of reputation alone. Gah!

Just sayin...

channtheman
11-18-2009, 01:54 AM
Coaches and players should vote for the pro bowl and that's it. Like the fans know jack shit. They know a name.

NewsBruin
11-18-2009, 02:26 AM
I'm not convinced that fellow players aren't homers for "name" players, either. You'll see guys like Brett and Ray Lewis get in even when they have subpar years (not that this season is a good example for those two).

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 06:09 AM
I'm not convinced that fellow players aren't homers for "name" players, either. You'll see guys like Brett and Ray Lewis get in even when they have subpar years (not that this season is a good example for those two).

But at least players know 13 other teams really well (from watching film). And players like Favre and Lewis getting in? I bet that has as much to do with fans as anything. Agree that players are "homers", but their more informed (or should be if they're doing their jobs) and that homerism is minimized by the single vote.

And how many fans just vote a straight team ticket? A system like that isn't rewarding the best players, it's rewarding the teams with the best fan bases. It's widening the reputation gap between the economic Haves and the Have Nots by giving the Haves more bragging rights for their organization.

Fritz
11-18-2009, 06:48 AM
The Pro Bowl is stupid. They ought to do away with it altogether. None of the players wants to play - the risk of injury is too great, so it's just a bunch of guys trying not to get hurt.

How about, if you have to have some exhibition thing, going back to the old days when the NFL champion goes up against a team of college all-stars?

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 08:03 AM
The Pro Bowl is stupid. They ought to do away with it altogether. None of the players wants to play - the risk of injury is too great, so it's just a bunch of guys trying not to get hurt.

How about, if you have to have some exhibition thing, going back to the old days when the NFL champion goes up against a team of college all-stars?

The Pro Bowl is only stupid and meaningless if the player's been there before. Otherwise, it's an accomplishment. If you did away with it, you would remove one of the benchmarks NFL players aim for. In and of itself, it isn't worthless. Remember when Al Harris got in the first time after several deserving years? There are players who look forward to that one time they get in. That will be the peak of their NFL career (see: Anderson, Derek).

Update on the Vikings and the Pro Bowl: apparently 22 Vikings players are among the top 5 at their position. I hope this mess makes people realize just how ridiculous the whole process is.

3irty1
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
I've never understood how the Queens get such a push from the fans for the pro bowl. I understand exactly how the Cowboys get it, they have a huge national fan base. But you don't see that kind of voting for the Packers or even the Steelers who also have large rabid fanbases.

If I had to guess I'd say that a teams pro bowl representation has to do with the number of "pink shirt" fans a team has.

MOBB DEEP
11-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Update on the Vikings and the Pro Bowl: apparently 22 Vikings players are among the top 5 at their position.

LORD FAVRE FACTOR! :wink:

See last yerar's Jets; I dont think ANY of those cats (plenty of them too) are getting in this year and not much has changed other than his highness

Actually, I think its kinda cool when teams get rewarded for superior play. I mean if the packers had all these players being considered would packer nation be complaining? Or discounting it?

I think back to the glory years with Brett and Reggie and remember being SO excited that so many of our squad were voted on (even before winning SB). At that time (and even now) I was certain that they were worthy. Was I/we being completely objective? Were there fans of other teams moaning about SO many Packers getting accolades? Im sure there were; human nature

In the case of the Cowgirls i LOVE the fact that they had so many probowlers yet faltered; more fodder to use in rediculing them :lol:

I guess you and otherds will have fodder since you feel the Queens are overrated and will show true colors this winter. But, hey, it will be fun; look at it that way. So dont worry your pretty lil head :D

Maxie the Taxi
11-18-2009, 04:15 PM
I agree. The Pro Bowl is worthless and sucks.

However, I think they should bring back the College All-Star Game. I'd like to have seen the Steelers play Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice, Raji, Mathews, Sanchez etc.

mngolf19
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
Currently, players are voted into the Pro Bowl by the coaches, the players themselves, and the fans. Each group's ballots count for one third of the votes. The fans vote online at the NFL's official website. There are also replacements that go to the game should any selected player be unable to play due to injuries. Prior to 1995, only the coaches and the players made Pro Bowl selections.

In order to be considered a Pro Bowler for a given year, a player must either have been one of the initial players selected to the team, or a player who accepts an invitation to Hawaii as an alternate; invited alternates who decline to attend are not considered Pro Bowlers.

sharpe1027
11-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Yawn. Do they still play this thing? Maybe they should just broadcast a game of Madden on autoplay.