PDA

View Full Version : Thumping my chest with a bit of pride...

ND72
11-17-2009, 10:30 PM
So I've been itching to say this for a while, AJ Hawk is starting to look pretty good in this 3-4. I know he's not making game changing plays like I think we all expect, but he is becoming hard to run towards, and he is looking nasty on most run plays. The best thing I've seen Capers do is use the athletic ability of Barnett & Hawk on cross blitz's. If Hawk and Barnett can continue their growth in this 3-4, I think we become tougher and tougher the farther we go.

To make me even happier is the fact that Clay Matthews is looking more and more like the man I thought he would be in this defense. I loved the pick when we got him, and I'm loving him more and more every game.

Partial
11-17-2009, 10:39 PM
So I've been itching to say this for a while, AJ Hawk is starting to look pretty good in this 3-4. I know he's not making game changing plays like I think we all expect, but he is becoming hard to run towards, and he is looking nasty on most run plays. The best thing I've seen Capers do is use the athletic ability of Barnett & Hawk on cross blitz's. If Hawk and Barnett can continue their growth in this 3-4, I think we become tougher and tougher the farther we go.

To make me even happier is the fact that Clay Matthews is looking more and more like the man I thought he would be in this defense. I loved the pick when we got him, and I'm loving him more and more every game.

Agree on both accounts. Hawk is playing at a new level. Playing with a lot of fire.

Bossman641
11-17-2009, 11:11 PM
I love seeing the LB's playing aggressively like that. The switch has flipped on for Hawk lately. He is still playing assignment sure, but also looks more reckless..if that makes any sense. And I know Barnett is the whipping boy around these parts, but he is looking better every week as he gains confidence in his knee and familiarity with the scheme.

Lurker64
11-17-2009, 11:55 PM
I think that the strength of the 3-4 defense is in the linebackers, and we definitely appear to have three of the four pieces in place (and they're all pretty young guys too). As the players become better acquainted with the scheme and Capers is better acquainted with the personnel, this defense could be very good for years to come.

packrulz
11-18-2009, 05:29 AM
I know Woodson is very, very good at blitzing but I'd rather they keep him in coverage and let the LB's blitz, turn 'em loose! All the LB's are pretty good, even Poppy and Thompson.

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 06:16 AM
I know Woodson is very, very good at blitzing but I'd rather they keep him in coverage and let the LB's blitz, turn 'em loose! All the LB's are pretty good, even Poppy and Thompson.

You just lost me on that one. Woodson can do pretty much everything on the field, while both Poppinga and Thompson are liabilities on the field--Poppinga because of coverage and Thompson because he plays like Jane. So why on earth would you limit your best defensive player in terms of contributions to give a far lesser player a chance to do something not quite as well (ie blitzing, causing fumbles)?

Fritz
11-18-2009, 06:45 AM

Getting a little outta control here, don't you think?

retailguy
11-18-2009, 08:37 AM

Fritz, the koolaid always runs freely after a win. Granted this was a convincing win, but still only a single win. :wink:

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 08:46 AM

Fritz, the koolaid always runs freely after a win. Granted this was a convincing win, but still only a single win. :wink:

Yeah, but it was a win with Poppinga on the bench and Thompson on special teams only.

EDIT: I certainly hope Thompson puts it all together this offseason. I think Poppinga's reached his ceiling.

wist43
11-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Don't be surprised if Capers pulls back on the blitzing and creativity... a leopard generally doesn't change its spots, and Capers has historically been ultra conservative and bland in his game plans and play calling.

The fact that he came out and got after it in the Cowboy game is probably more due to the pressure they're feeling at 1265. Given his druthers, I'm sure Capers would rush 3 on every play if he could - that's his nature.

As for Hawk and Barnett... they both have shown some improvement, and that's good - b/c we're stuck with them. Very encouraged by what I'm seeing out of Matthews.

Even with some improvement however, we're not going anywhere this year... maybe if the kids grow up some this year, we can hope to be more competitive next year.

16 more draft picks should do the trick :)

wist43
11-18-2009, 04:47 PM

Yeah, but it was a win with Poppinga on the bench and Thompson on special teams only.

EDIT: I certainly hope Thompson puts it all together this offseason. I think Poppinga's reached his ceiling.

Thompson is likely gone next year... along with Kampman. I've said all along, neither one of them is a good fit in a 3-4 - I think we're seeing that born out every Sunday.

mraynrand
11-18-2009, 04:53 PM
If TT had really had some balls, he would have dealt Kampman in the offseason and tried to bring in a ringer LB to plug into the 3-4. Raji and Matthews and Jones were good picks in the draft, but that's for down the road.

gbgary
11-18-2009, 05:00 PM
he seems to have responded to the lack of playing time he was getting a while back. sometimes people need a reminder now and then...i know i sure do. :D