PDA

View Full Version : Predict the score: Packers vs 49ers

mmmdk
11-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Another big game for Packers at Lambeau and a must win vs 49ers. Defensive battle yet again? I think so.

Packers 20 49ers 16

:cow:

Cheesehead Craig
11-18-2009, 09:37 AM
I'll give them an extra TD 27-17

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Some stats: Each stat field is the numeric quantity followed by the league rank in parenthesis.

Yards:
Niners Pass D - 248.3 (29) - vs. Packers Pass O - 247 (11) = Advantage Packers
Niners Run D - 87.7 (3) - vs. Packers Run O - 119.2 (12) = Advantage Niners
Niners Pass O - 175.6 (24) - vs. Packers Pass D - 189.2 (6) = Advantage Packers
Niners Run O - 102.3 (22) - vs. Packers Run D - 93.1 (4) = Advantage Packers
Verdict: Packers 3:1

TDs:
Niners Pass D - 9 (6) - vs. Packers Pass O - 17 (5) = No Advantage
Niners Run D - 8 (16) - vs. Packers Run O - 8 (13) = No Advantage
Niners Pass O - 11 (20) - vs. Packers Pass D - 17 (29) = Advantage Niners
Niners Run O - 7 (15) - vs. Packers Run D - 3 (3) = Advantage Packers
Verdict: Even 1:1

Guesstimate: It appears the Packers will be able to move basically at will against the Niners, but scoring will be pretty close. Expect a lot of one sided offense with no blowout. That being said, it will probably be a blowout because I didn't predict one...

Fritz
11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
This game inspires no confidence in me.

I read some articles in the SF Chronicle about the Niners, and it appears that they play good special teams, particularly in coverage, that they like to run the ball, and that they are good at stopping the run but have a less than average defensive backfield.

This could be a recipe for disaster. MM thinks he sees an advantage over the defensive secondary, so he game plans by throwing, throwing, throwing because their run defense is stout and he wants to exploit SF's secondary.

But his oline sucks and stubborn guy that he seems to be he'll still call for longer passing plays because by golly, he should be able to. It should work.

But it won't and the Packer offense stalls. In the meantime, the Packer D stops the run but SF keeps pounding and pounding, and the time of possession turns greatly in the Niners' favor. By the 4th quarter, the D is gassed, the special teams has put the D on its heels most of the day, the offense is going nowwhere so MM calls for more, more, more shots downfield. Nothing works, Rodgers gets sacked 23 times, and the dream of a playoff spot lasts only the six days after the Dallas game and then Poof! - is gone.

ThunderDan
11-18-2009, 12:44 PM

I read some articles in the SF Chronicle about the Niners, and it appears that they play good special teams, particularly in coverage, that they like to run the ball, and that they are good at stopping the run but have a less than average defensive backfield.

This could be a recipe for disaster. MM thinks he sees an advantage over the defensive secondary, so he game plans by throwing, throwing, throwing because their run defense is stout and he wants to exploit SF's secondary.

But his oline sucks and stubborn guy that he seems to be he'll still call for longer passing plays because by golly, he should be able to. It should work.

But it won't and the Packer offense stalls. In the meantime, the Packer D stops the run but SF keeps pounding and pounding, and the time of possession turns greatly in the Niners' favor. By the 4th quarter, the D is gassed, the special teams has put the D on its heels most of the day, the offense is going nowwhere so MM calls for more, more, more shots downfield. Nothing works, Rodgers gets sacked 23 times, and the dream of a playoff spot lasts only the six days after the Dallas game and then Poof! - is gone.

That's inspiring! You should be a motivational speaker! :P

I'm guessing 20-10 GB.

Fritz
11-18-2009, 12:47 PM

That's inspiring! You should be a motivational speaker! :P

I'm guessing 20-10 GB.

In San Francisco.

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 01:28 PM
What I think is funny is that SF is "known" for it's running and stopping the run this year. Problem is that the only place SF is superior than GB in the run game is in the run defense, and that just barely. SF is ranked 3rd by yards with 87.7 and GB 4th with 93.1. SF is ranked 1st in yards per rush at 3.3 and GB 3rd at 3.5. On offense, they're tied at yards per attempt at 4.4. Every other major category GB has a superior running defense and offense. They average more yards per game, more rushing TDs per game, and giving up fewer TDs per game. So I guess you could go flip the switch and say that GB is better at SF's game of running and stopping the run than SF is. Plus the passing game is better...

get louder at lambeau
11-18-2009, 01:34 PM
I'm gonna go against the grain a little, and call a GB blowout. They should be confident after beating Dallas, and should be relatively healthy.

GB- 31
SF- 14

:thank:

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm gonna go against the grain a little, and call a GB blowout. They should be confident after beating Dallas, and should be relatively healthy.

GB- 31
SF- 14

Care to give me an over/under about how many of those points are scored in garbage time?

get louder at lambeau
11-18-2009, 01:43 PM

GB- 31
SF- 14

Care to give me an over/under about how many of those points are scored in garbage time?

I'll say each team scores one late TD.

bobblehead
11-18-2009, 02:01 PM

Sad thing is that I read the rankings in the post directly above yours and thought all of this exactly...in my older age I'm learning to read a few more posts before I make my own post that would have sounded eerily like yours.

hoosier
11-18-2009, 02:13 PM

hoosier
11-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Just had to do that after Bobblehead's post.

I too have a bad feeling about this one. I think the Pack could match up fairly well with SF but if SF plays well defensively or if McCarthy comes in with another goofy game plan a la Tampa Bay it could get pretty ugly. I worry most of all about an emotional letdown after Dallas. The Packers were fired up and pissed off, and it showed especially on defense. But it is hard to keep that anger going week after week. Hopefully they can keep it up and stay on fire for the rest of the season. But I sort of expect them to revert to their early season/Tampa Bay form.

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 02:21 PM
I sort of expect them to revert to their early season/Tampa Bay form.

And if they do revert, that will be placed squarely on M3's shoulders. It is his job as the HC to have his team ready to play. That's the HC's job across all teams. If he doesn't, it's one more thing that people will be justifiably allowed to complain about.

Sparkey
11-18-2009, 03:38 PM
Green Bay 24
San Francisco 13

cheesner
11-18-2009, 03:52 PM
I hope you guys are right

But for the 2nd time in a long time, I am going against the Pack. They really disappointed me two weeks ago and have plugged my well of eternal optimism.

49ers 38
Packers 27

PS Chan I am not normally a superstitious guy - but why risk it? :lol:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=19274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 04:06 PM

But for the 2nd time in a long time, I am going against the Pack. They really disappointed me two weeks ago and have plugged my well of eternal optimism.

49ers 38
Packers 27

Except for the game against St Louis, the Niners haven't scored more than 27 in a game. Just want to make sure you know you're predicting a season high score for the Niners against a defense ranked in the top 10 in points, total yards, passing, and rushing.

denverYooper
11-18-2009, 07:35 PM

49ers 38
Packers 27

Except for the game against St Louis, the Niners haven't scored more than 27 in a game. Just want to make sure you know you're predicting a season high score for the Niners against a defense ranked in the top 10 in points, total yards, passing, and rushing.

Never underestimate the power of Slocum :).

Smidgeon
11-18-2009, 07:37 PM

49ers 38
Packers 27

Never underestimate the power of Slocum :).

Touche. I formally withdraw my question.

Gunakor
11-19-2009, 02:02 AM
Tough to predict the score when we don't yet know which team is playing on Sunday. Is it the one that blew an 11 point 4th quarter lead against an 0-7 Bucs team, or the one that didn't allow a 6-2 Cowboys team to score until there was only about a minute left to play? They looked like 2 different teams out there.

In the Packers favor is the fact that they have been unbelievably stout against the run, which is pretty much SF's offense. That alone should keep the game close. The Pack struggled against Nolan's 3-4 hybrid defense, but haven't faced Singletary's defense yet. Our offense has been so hot and cold from quarter to quarter recently that I'm not sure it would matter. I have absolutely no idea how many points our offense will score, but I can guess with absolute confidence that our defense doesn't give up more than 17 points.

20-17 Packers, 28-7 Packers, 35-0 Packers... It all depends on which team shows up to play on Sunday.

channtheman
11-19-2009, 02:14 AM

49ers 38
Packers 27

PS Chan I am not normally a superstitious guy - but why risk it? :lol:

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=19274&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20

If the Pack win this week with you picking against them, I'd be hard pressed to tell you to pick the Packers the rest of the year!

Oh and now for my obligatory blowout pick. Pack deny the 49ers and shut down their playoff hopes at Lambeau. Final score Packers 35. 49ers 10.

australianpackerbacker
11-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Sorry to tell you guys this, but i had a dream last night that i got back from work, checked the weeks scores on NFL.com and saw the Packers lose to the 49ers, 35-3. I hope my dreams are wrong!

denverYooper
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
Packers
27-15

mmmdk
11-22-2009, 09:34 AM
bump

Pugger
11-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Sorry to tell you guys this, but i had a dream last night that i got back from work, checked the weeks scores on NFL.com and saw the Packers lose to the 49ers, 35-3. I hope my dreams are wrong!

Unless our defense completely collapses the 49ers are not gonna score 35 points. I think the fellas are now all in to Capers' D and the 9ers offense isn't all that hot. Last week their D intercepted the Interception machine and only managed to score 10 points!

jmbarnes101
11-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Green Bay 24
San Francisco 13

Freak Out
11-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Packers - 4

49rs - 3

BallHawk
11-22-2009, 11:23 AM
Packers - 4

49rs - 3

Care to be ballsy and predict who gets the safetys?

Bretsky
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Must win game folks
Bretsky scored two tickets and gave them to a realtor who feeds me business
The karma gods will reward my good will
Playoff atmosphere
Defense steps up

Pack wins 23-13
Pack's going to 7-4

Take it to the Bank !!

The Shadow
11-22-2009, 11:31 AM