PDA

View Full Version : Look out: Stafford is a good QB

mraynrand
11-19-2009, 12:57 PM
The Packer's game against Detroit is but a week away, and yet I feel a cold fear in my heart. We all know the Thanksgiving history between the Packers and Lions, and, even with recent wins there on Turkey Day, the battle always seems close. I took time to watch Stafford play against Minnesota at the Dumpydome and I have to say that I liked what I saw. Here is a kid with good poise in the pocket, and a really nice, smooth throwing motion and release. He has a lot of power in that arm, but a pretty quick throwing motion,and good accuracy. He looks confident in there. Dare I say it - his throwing reminded me a lot of Elway. He can't run like Elway, but he has just enough ability to move around in the pocket that he's not a sitting duck (or Turducken) back there. With a big target in Calvin Johnson, the two could cause some serious problems for the Packers next Thursday. Certainly a lot will depend on whether the Packers turned some sort of corner last Sunday - especially on defense. We'll have to see how they take on SF this week, but I'm telling you to watch out for the new gunslinger in Detroit. He is a good one.

Smidgeon
11-19-2009, 01:12 PM
Of all the QBs who have averaged more than 14 passes per game, Stafford is tied for 3rd in interceptions thrown, has the 3rd worst QB rating, tied for 7th in fewest touchdowns thrown, 4th in passes thrown per game, 5th in interception rate, 3rd in fewest touchdowns per pass, 4th in fewest yards per attempt, has a 1:2 TD:INT ratio, and 4th in lowest completion percentage. I'm not too worried. I think he'll be good eventually, but this isn't the year.

Fritz
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm worried about San Fran tiring our D out with the run and I'm more worried that MM will try to attack the SF secondary by calling nothing but passes, resulting in Rodgers getting pounded all game long.

KYPack
11-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Chicken Dinner to MRD. That was my post, but you already typed it.

He's a good kid with the chance to be a great one. Hard to teach poise & pocket presence. He's got them now.

mraynrand
11-19-2009, 01:24 PM

He's a good kid with the chance to be a great one. Hard to teach poise & pocket presence. He's got them now.

I prefer Turducken. For the record, I'm a bit more worried about the Niners, but I watched Stafford play in Minnesota (and saw what he did in the second half to MI State last year in the bowl game) and I think he'll be a good one if they don't get him killed behind that line.

Fritz
11-19-2009, 01:29 PM

I prefer Turducken. For the record, I'm a bit more worried about the Niners, but I watched Stafford play in Minnesota (and saw what he did in the second half to MI State last year in the bowl game) and I think he'll be a good one if they don't get him killed behind that line.

Hey, wasn't this thread supposed to be about Stafford, not Rodgers???

Smidgeon
11-19-2009, 01:33 PM

He's in the middle of the pack in sacks. His line is doing better than GB's. Now if he stops throwing the ball up for grabs...

mraynrand
11-19-2009, 01:52 PM

He's in the middle of the pack in sacks. His line is doing better than GB's. Now if he stops throwing the ball up for grabs...

The line probably has fewer sacks because Stafford doesn't hold the ball as long.:wink: (seriously, it probably is a trade off -less sacks, more tosses up for grabs. The only two games I saw him play in were Redskins and at MN, so I don't have enough to go on what his overall tendencies are. I suspect that he's tossing stuff up for grabs rather than getting clobbered. I did see him throw the ball away rather than take a sack at least once).

Smidgeon
11-19-2009, 01:54 PM

The line probably has fewer sacks because Stafford doesn't hold the ball as long.:wink: (seriously, it probably is a trade off -less sacks, more tosses up for grabs. The only two games I saw him play in were Redskins and at MN, so I don't have enough to go on what his overall tendencies are. I suspect that he's tossing stuff up for grabs rather than getting clobbered. I did see him throw the ball away rather than take a sack at least once).

True. But I'm not worried about him this year. Maybe the year after next, maybe next year. Maybe. But not this one. The Lions could be a trap game, but I don't think it will be because of Stafford.

Zool
11-19-2009, 02:34 PM
He also didnt play in the first couple games. Might help the sack total.

Smidgeon
11-19-2009, 02:39 PM
He also didnt play in the first couple games. Might help the sack total.

I also looked at sacks per pass attempt. He's in the middle of the pack there too.

Freak Out
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Hopefully Randy has just cursed Stafford to a dismal career in Detoilet with his praise. :)

retailguy
11-19-2009, 05:44 PM
The Packer's game against Detroit is but a week away, and yet I feel a cold fear in my heart. We all know the Thanksgiving history between the Packers and Lions, and, even with recent wins there on Turkey Day, the battle always seems close. I took time to watch Stafford play against Minnesota at the Dumpydome and I have to say that I liked what I saw. Here is a kid with good poise in the pocket, and a really nice, smooth throwing motion and release. He has a lot of power in that arm, but a pretty quick throwing motion,and good accuracy. He looks confident in there. Dare I say it - his throwing reminded me a lot of Elway. He can't run like Elway, but he has just enough ability to move around in the pocket that he's not a sitting duck (or Turducken) back there. With a big target in Calvin Johnson, the two could cause some serious problems for the Packers next Thursday. Certainly a lot will depend on whether the Packers turned some sort of corner last Sunday - especially on defense. We'll have to see how they take on SF this week, but I'm telling you to watch out for the new gunslinger in Detroit. He is a good one.

well said. Detroit is changing, I think. Next year, they'll be improved. After that, they could be good.

Partial
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Really like this guy if he gets out of Doomsday Detroit he will be a star imo.

mraynrand
11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
The scramble before the endzone TD interference toss/shoulder separation against Cleveland was Favresque. Returning to action with a sep shoulder was favresque. Mangini calling a time out with a cold Culpepper at QB for the final play, allowing Stafford to come back in was Stubbyesque.

Guiness
11-25-2009, 11:55 PM
He's got some grit, there's no doubt. The sound he made when he first got up after getting hurt and tried to run down the field gave me chills.

Who was that bozo that clapped him on the left shoulder when he came off the field after throwing the winning TD? You can heard Stafford gasp. Jersey #23

SnakeLH2006
11-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Personally, Snake gives Stafford alot of credit...It takes real balls to take $42 million guaranteed...from the Lions.

bobblehead
11-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Anyone care to reassess this now??

Lurker64
11-26-2009, 01:28 PM
I like this Stafford kid, he throws to the guys in yellow pants.

rbaloha1
11-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Initially felt Stafford would be a bust since he never displayed the ability to go thru progressions. Can anyone say Joey Harrington now?

KYPack
11-26-2009, 02:45 PM
That boy is tougher than a Waffle House steak.