PDA

View Full Version : Official Packers vs 49ers Game Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Fritz
11-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Yep, sure does suck to see an old Bear go down in flames at Lambeau.

http://charris.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/report-49ers-to-hire-mike-singletary1.jpg

Heh, heh, heh, heh.......

I'd swap him for McCarthy in a New York minute.

Fosco33
11-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Not sure how to feel about this.

Good teams can finish and should continue domination. Packers offense was way to conservative in 2nd half - only points on a short field. Defense knew what was coming every play of 2nd half and couldn't stop it.

Losing Kamp and Al -- and a short week.

Playing in Detroit on Turkey Day... I recall losing this one back in '01 or '02.

I'd feel different if the D continued to dominate and O was conservative... but not both.

It's a 60 min game that we played in 30.

digitaldean
11-22-2009, 03:23 PM
TD by Detroit

gbgary
lions will win. stafford is hurt and we'll be seeing culpepper on turkey day.

Brohm
They got complacent across the board and it almost bit them in the ass.

Lurker64
11-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Well a win is always good, and the Packers ran the four minute offense at the end very well there (which is promising). The defense didn't really shut anybody down in the fourth quarter and I was more worried than I should have been.

But, if we can get past Detroit on Turkey Day, we have a mini-bye-week and we'll be 7-4.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:25 PM

not complacent...conservative. it shouldn't have been that close...we traded tds for fgs today.

retailguy
Well a win is always good, and the Packers ran the four minute offense at the end very well there (which is promising). The defense didn't really shut anybody down in the fourth quarter and I was more worried than I should have been.

But, if we can get past Detroit on Turkey Day, we have a mini-bye-week and we'll be 7-4.

what a collossal meltdown. not sure it matters if we're 7-4, if we continue to play like that!

TennesseePackerBacker

What happened to him?

Partial
11-22-2009, 03:26 PM

what a collossal meltdown. not sure it matters if we're 7-4, if we continue to play like that!

Those TDs instead of FGs would have made this one look a lot more palatable, eh?

Fosco33
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM

Again... maybe we'll knock him out and see Stanton. We'll have to deal with Calvin this time around.

TennesseePackerBacker

Every team left on our schedule is beatable. If we're sitting at 7-4 after Detroit 10-6 is very achieveable.

gbgary

What happened to him?

left shoulder...separated or something. collarbone? dislocation? he'll be one-armed if he plays.

red
11-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Again... maybe we'll knock him out and see Stanton. We'll have to deal with Calvin this time around.

thats gonna be a lot more difficult without harris

sheepshead
11-22-2009, 03:29 PM
7 games lost by 4 points or less last year. The most penalized and sacked team in football this year.

Marty Mornhinweg has to go. I almost hope we tank just to get rid of him. This is a very uninspired football team for 4 quarters and are getting hard to watch.

Badgerinmaine
11-22-2009, 03:30 PM

I'd swap him for McCarthy in a New York minute.[/quote]
Seconded.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:31 PM

I'd swap him for McCarthy in a New York minute.
Seconded.

thirded! :)

Fosco33
Similar keys as last few weeks:
1. Keep AR upright -- more max protect, shifts, rolls... we've made every team look like rockstars with pressure (even the lowly Bucs) - only gave up 2
2. Attack through the air but keep them honest with Grant/Green - good 1st half balance; got too comfy 2nd half
3. Get after Smith and spy either Gore or Davis (depending on who's having issues with coverage) - yes (in the 1st half); Gore had 59y (42 on one play) but we did give Davis 100+ and a TD - not impressed with 2nd half effort
4. Don't let down after Cowboys -- they have to keep the defensive intensity and play like their asses are on the line (because they are all the time). - played lights out in 1st half; big let down... can't look past Det. Get a W and a chance to get healthy (11 days) before a non-conf MNF game

Since there's a short week and the Lions, it's hard to look past this game. It's huge for conference record and playoff position. I see a low scoring affair coming down to the 4th Q with Crosby needing some clutch kicks (he's only missed one inside 49 yards).

Brohm
MM on Al and Kamp - no early prognosis but does not look good :shock:

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:32 PM

Fosco33
11-22-2009, 03:34 PM
MM on Al and Kamp - no early prognosis but does not look good :shock:

If either/both are IR, is there anyone we'd want? I can see living without Kamp as Jones seems serviceable (I'm in the franchise, trade club). It'd hurt his value if it was serious (maybe a 3rd or 4th...).

You have to plan for the eventual retirement for Al or Chuck. I don't see Underwood or TWill as the answer(s). Having Bush in coverage is a huge liability. Big loss.

Interesting personnel decisions coming...

retailguy
11-22-2009, 03:35 PM

not complacent...conservative. it shouldn't have been that close...we traded tds for fgs today.

the fgs still don't bother me. that wasn't the problem.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM

the fgs still don't bother me. that wasn't the problem.

oh, i agree. the problem was the o and d both got conservative in the second half. sf made a play or two also :oops: ...but we do need to get the red zone sorted out since the d is going to be weakened.

digitaldean
11-22-2009, 03:44 PM
The way they were trying for more at the end of the first half was encouraging. Unfortunately, the 2nd half playcalling seemed to be the "play not to lose" chapter of MM's playbook.

Grant played a very good game. Best run was his last run into the pile that he broke for 15-20 yards.

Al's injury hurts because we have Calvin Johnson coming up. (he missed the game at GB). If his knee buckled when he planted his foot, it could be scary. Just heard on FOX 11 that Al was able to hobble out of the locker room.

Underwood's 2 penalties were pure bone-headedness. Finley is becoming more of a weapon. Donald Lee is absolutely USELESS as a pass catching TE.

The D got the turnover to help us get the win.

Singletary's challenge was a REAL headscratcher.

It was great that Jennings FINALLY came back from the MIA list today.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:46 PM
Al was able to hobble out of the locker room.

maybe it's a sprain or a little cartiledge clean out. either way it's a few weeks rather than the season.

edit...on second thought if it was cartiledge he wouldn't be weight-baring so it must be a sprain.

digitaldean
11-22-2009, 03:48 PM
Let's hope.

Given the lack of depth at CB, Al's injury hurts more than Kampy's.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Let's hope.

Given the lack of depth at CB, Al's injury hurts more than Kampy's.

you got that right.

Lurker64
11-22-2009, 03:51 PM
I think some people are losing sight of the margin by which the Packers actually won the game:

After halftime, the 49ers never held the ball in a position where one score would tie the game or give them the lead. When you think about it that way, it wasn't nearly as much a "hanging on by the skin of your teeth" victory as some people are making it out to be.

I'm worried about Al Harris though.

sheepshead
11-22-2009, 03:58 PM
I think some people are losing sight of the margin by which the Packers actually won the game:

After halftime, the 49ers never held the ball in a position where one score would tie the game or give them the lead. When you think about it that way, it wasn't nearly as much a "hanging on by the skin of your teeth" victory as some people are making it out to be.

Thats not at issue at all, its the way we let the 49ers come back. It was starting to look like the Bucs game again. While the niners have been playing well, they are rebuilding and no way in hell should we be letting them get back into the game.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-22-2009, 04:01 PM

Thats not at issue at all, its the way we let the 49ers come back. It was starting to look like the Bucs game again. While the niners have been playing well, they are rebuilding and no way in hell should we be letting them get back into the game.

It took a Brent miracle for the exalted Vikings to beat them. The 49er's have a lot more talent than people give them credit for.

ThunderDan
11-22-2009, 04:02 PM

It took a Brent miracle for the exalted Vikings to beat them. The 49er's have a lot more talent than people give them credit for.

See, that's the rub I can't stand. When GB beats anyone we suck. When the Vikings need a miracle at home to beat SF they ROCK!!!!

BallHawk
11-22-2009, 04:03 PM

The 49ers were a score away from beating Indy, Minnesota, and Houston. They're not a bad team by any means.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 04:05 PM

After halftime, the 49ers never held the ball in a position where one score would tie the game or give them the lead. When you think about it that way, it wasn't nearly as much a "hanging on by the skin of your teeth" victory as some people are making it out to be.I'm worried about Al Harris though.

it was a six point win and the niners were a 3 and out away from having the ball against a struggling defense. the o got the first downs when they needed them. you know everyone was sweating bullets.

Brohm
11-22-2009, 04:07 PM
Couple weeks min for Al and Kamp from WISN but won't know for sure until tomorrow.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 04:08 PM
Couple weeks min for Al and Kamp from WISN but won't know for sure tomorrow.

keeping fingers crossed!!

denverYooper
11-22-2009, 04:12 PM
My God, I hate our Special Teams.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 04:13 PM

they only had one near disaster today. it's getting better.

Fritz
11-22-2009, 04:57 PM
On the plus side, the offense got a huge, huge first down at the end of the game, and MM actually ran the ball a little at the end.

pbmax
11-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Pandora. Adware. Not. Cool.

:roll:

The Shadow
11-22-2009, 06:33 PM
I thought rookie fullback Quinn Johnson had a huge, pretty unnoticed play today with his push of Rodgers on the late 3rd & inches.
Without that push, Aaron doesn't get there.
And we needed to get there.

Fosco33
11-22-2009, 06:35 PM

Williams let a few bounce in front of him - and they had a hold on one of those plays.

We had possibility of improving field position a few times and lost it.

Kapinos is below average. His gross (44) and net (35) are crappy. Ryan was axed for better stats. Even Frost had better numbers (except inside the 20s).

Mason is money inside the 50. Our lack of confidence in his big leg had the Packers punt (and then get the INT, TD from the good punt).

gex
11-22-2009, 06:36 PM

After halftime, the 49ers never held the ball in a position where one score would tie the game or give them the lead. When you think about it that way, it wasn't nearly as much a "hanging on by the skin of your teeth" victory as some people are making it out to be.I'm worried about Al Harris though.

it was a six point win and the niners were a 3 and out away from having the ball against a struggling defense. the o got the first downs when they needed them. you know everyone was sweating bullets.

I'll 2nd this thought over Lurkers, if 49ers get the ball back and score we are down by 1! It was much closer to a loss than some kinda blowout win.

Rastak
11-22-2009, 06:40 PM

Actually to be honest that's a crock of shit. They (49ers) got a 10 point swing when a blocked kick popped right into somebody's hands with less than 10 seconds to go in the half. That is the only reason it was close at the end. It seems everyone ignores this fact. Take that out and there isn't a big finish.....no need for Favre to nail it.

Bossman641
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Williams let a few bounce in front of him - and they had a hold on one of those plays.

We had possibility of improving field position a few times and lost it.

Kapinos is below average. His gross (44) and net (35) are crappy. Ryan was axed for better stats. Even Frost had better numbers (except inside the 20s).

Mason is money inside the 50. Our lack of confidence in his big leg had the Packers punt (and then get the INT, TD from the good punt).

:x Don't get me started. Catch the ball Tramon.

ThunderDan
11-22-2009, 06:55 PM

Actually to be honest that's a crock of shit. They (49ers) got a 10 point swing when a blocked kick popped right into somebody's hands with less than 10 seconds to go in the half. That is the only reason it was close at the end. It seems everyone ignores this fact. Take that out and there isn't a big finish.....no need for Favre to nail it.

But that did happen and they needed an increadible play from BF! And he made it!

Zool
11-22-2009, 08:44 PM

That's why its called a football game. Gotta take in all the plays not throw out a few that don't support your theories.

digitaldean
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
:x Don't get me started. Catch the ball Tramon.

He cost us 15 - 20 yards of field position on 2 occasions today. All he had to do was fair catch the darn ball!