PDA

View Full Version : Mike McCarthy: What Does it Take to Keep His Job in 2010?

SnakeLH2006
11-22-2009, 12:07 AM
Lot's of anti-McFatty vibes lately around PackerRats. Snake is one of them yet used to be a MM fan. Oh how times have changed (watch his coaching show...fans and even Larry M rip him left and right for the shitty OL and needless penalties....MM seems like he doesn't care..."It's a work in progress. We need to shore that up. We'll get that fixed. Pad Level....ad nauseum"...he's a joke with tired ass cliches).

Personally, McMike has had his chances and looks lost week after week. Being the classly pro CW is, he gave his gameball to McMike last week in the locker room. Really? Dom Capers was far and away the coach of the game vs. the Cowboys. McMike didn't really coach well at all. He really blew some calls badly, as usual, and lost his challenge (a really bad one on his part, what was that about??) and lost another challenge later (cuz any coach or real fan knows you can't do it again if you lost your first one). Dude is clueless lately and getting worse. To be honest...we won that Cowboy game DESPITE McCarthy. Just atrochious in so many ways as a HC.

Snake would think being that we are pretty talented/young/ have a healthy cap/and a great young QB we would be able to attract a big-name winner for a coach in 2010 no problem. Cowher has been rumored for the past month. That would be great. Either way, McFatty has lost this team. 5-4. That's talent. His conservative play-calling and misdiagnosis of key-downs/distance drives me crazy game after game.

TT looks safe (given our CAP is really good, and he brings some talent to this roster with his drafts...although he really needs to sign a top guy anywhere for our OL...that's TT's biggest problem and a major one).

So how many wins does it take for McFatty to keep his job in 2010?

Snake voted 9-11 wins as a playoff wildcard with this talented team and a playoff win. I don't see how he keeps his job without at least a playoff win at 5-4 right now. There's no way he doesn't win a playoff game in 2009 and keeps his job...esp. with how poorly he executes game plans and reigns in this team, thus far. He's been pretty bad. I'd rather have Shermy at this point, than McFatty. :shock:

SnakeLH2006
11-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Who said miss playoffs? No way McFatts keeps his job if we don't at least make the playoffs. That is not even close.

It's an option I put up....but no way McFatty keeps his job in 2010 if we don't make the playoffs. NO WAY. Please explain that scenario. Snake would love to hear it.

Bretsky
11-22-2009, 08:36 AM
I think MM keep his job next year if the Packers are 8-8 or above
I won't argue if he should or not

TTT is not a bold movemaker overall and does not like conflict
I don't think he has the stones to let MM go this soon barring a huge meltdown

retailguy
11-22-2009, 08:39 AM
not sure he gets canned at this point even with a meltdown.

sheepshead
11-22-2009, 09:03 AM
marty mornhinweg's on the hot seat, no doubt. If we dont win a playoff game, I say he's gone. What's our contract hit with him at the end of this year?

pbmax
11-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Meltdown would cost him. I am not sure if its playoffs or bust, a lot depends on Thompson's view of injuries versus production. Thompson's leash is not much longer than McCarthy's, so I would be surprised if there is not a threshold this year. And if he decides he needs a new coach, that coach will need to start soon.

I said a while back that they each had two years (this and next, 3 years into the new deals) and that the only thing that would shorten the tenure of either is if Thompson decides McCarthy can't get it done. If Thompson agrees with Waldo's take on the mishandling of the O line, then he could also insist on coaching changes.

Fritz
11-22-2009, 09:40 AM
I think that an 8-8 or even a 9-7 record makes Thompson's job very, very difficult. Do you start over or do you draft offensive linemen and safeties by the dozens and try once more? At the least, I think if Thompson brings MM back after an 8-8 campaign, we'll see Campen gone, and maybe Slocum if the ST play like crap the rest of the year.

A ten win season gives MM another year, I believe. A seven win season, barring any more big injuries, might just get MM canned. It's the middle ground that's the toughest to figure.

get louder at lambeau
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
I don't think coaches with a winning record should get fired, regardless of how the payoffs shake out. 9-7 = 3 more wins than last year = progress and a winning record, and he keeps his job. 8-8 and he's on the bubble.

Freak Out
11-22-2009, 11:39 AM
As long as the guys heart is beating he is the HC here unless he quits.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM
it'll take a superbowl win as far as i'm concerned...and then he'll be on probation.

Fritz
11-22-2009, 04:55 PM

That's a ridiculous statement.

retailguy
11-22-2009, 05:35 PM

It's probably true.

PlantPage55
11-22-2009, 05:55 PM

It's probably true.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/061106/10375__bunk_l.jpg

oh Jesus Christ. Now who are the delusional ones?

retailguy
11-22-2009, 10:20 PM

It's probably true.

http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/061106/10375__bunk_l.jpg

oh Jesus Christ. Now who are the delusional ones?

We'll see at the end of the year. I happen to believe that McCrappy got his "get out of jail free" card today with the injuries to Harris and Kampman.

We got the blue collar pittsburg guy - INDEFINITELY.

gbgary
11-22-2009, 10:49 PM

It's probably true.

if it is then tt's head needs to go too.

retailguy
11-22-2009, 10:54 PM

It's probably true.

if it is then tt's head needs to go too.

You're singing my tune Gary, but we both know that isn't happening. Ted is even more bulletproof than McCrappy.

I do not believe that either one goes anywhere, regardless of what happens in the balance of the year.

PlantPage55
11-22-2009, 11:39 PM
We'll see at the end of the year.

Actually, we most likely won't.

What if we make the playoffs? Shoot, what if we even managed to WIN a playoff game?!?!

There won't be cause to fire him.

pasquale
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I think that an 8-8 or even a 9-7 record makes Thompson's job very, very difficult. Do you start over or do you draft offensive linemen and safeties by the dozens and try once more? At the least, I think if Thompson brings MM back after an 8-8 campaign, we'll see Campen gone, and maybe Slocum if the ST play like crap the rest of the year.

A ten win season gives MM another year, I believe. A seven win season, barring any more big injuries, might just get MM canned. It's the middle ground that's the toughest to figure.

I'd say Slocum is gone for sure already, Campen still could rally the line to perform somewhat coherently, but I doubt it.

Freak Out
11-23-2009, 12:23 AM

I think it would take a complete collapse of the team for TT to give M3 the boot after this year.

I meant this season Fritz...not for the rest of his life. :lol:

Waldo
11-23-2009, 12:47 AM
At this point you have to seriously question McCarthy's ability to evaluate coaches.

He gets a pass for some of the pathetic staff he put together to begin with, which is partially on Thompson's shoulders, Mac surely did not have the rep to attract good assistants. When you pick the guy out of left field, these are the problems that naturally follow.

But he got his rep. He showed that he can attract a good staff now. His coaching hires on D last year hit it out of the park IMO. However he made a terribly poor choice on special teams, and his sticking with Campen, despite open calls for him to be part of the purge last year, does not reflect well. If he had to reset some of his assistant staff that is fine, but the coaching staff should not be rebuilt yearly because of firings.

On the flipside there are good things going that make it tough to just sweep him away. He's done really good things with parts of the offense, our passing game has remained top notch. I like our new D a great deal, and it seems like the players do too. Plus we spent some very expensive draft capitol on this D this year.

I would think that from here forward it would take a pretty big collapse to get Mike canned. However IMO this is the year where Ted has a very detailed and truthful evaluation of McCarthy, and says some tough words.

Campen and Slocum have to go though. It is very apparent that the coaching of those units is terrible.

One problem on O I possibly see is too many decision makers, many decisions are not being made quickly and decisively, and too much rethinking of decisions. Either Mac has to do them all, or Philbin, and all parties stick to things. I don't know Philbin as a coach much, but it might be time for McCarthy to turn over a lot of the offensive power to him, allowing Mac to ascend to a full HC. Sorta like Bill B, and Marty S, that really are not a coordinator/HC like Mac still is.

SnakeLH2006
11-23-2009, 01:38 AM
At this point you have to seriously question McCarthy's ability to evaluate coaches.

He gets a pass for some of the pathetic staff he put together to begin with, which is partially on Thompson's shoulders, Mac surely did not have the rep to attract good assistants. When you pick the guy out of left field, these are the problems that naturally follow.

But he got his rep. He showed that he can attract a good staff now. His coaching hires on D last year hit it out of the park IMO. However he made a terribly poor choice on special teams, and his sticking with Campen, despite open calls for him to be part of the purge last year, does not reflect well. If he had to reset some of his assistant staff that is fine, but the coaching staff should not be rebuilt yearly because of firings.

On the flipside there are good things going that make it tough to just sweep him away. He's done really good things with parts of the offense, our passing game has remained top notch. I like our new D a great deal, and it seems like the players do too. Plus we spent some very expensive draft capitol on this D this year.

I would think that from here forward it would take a pretty big collapse to get Mike canned. However IMO this is the year where Ted has a very detailed and truthful evaluation of McCarthy, and says some tough words.

Campen and Slocum have to go though. It is very apparent that the coaching of those units is terrible.

One problem on O I possibly see is too many decision makers, many decisions are not being made quickly and decisively, and too much rethinking of decisions. Either Mac has to do them all, or Philbin, and all parties stick to things. I don't know Philbin as a coach much, but it might be time for McCarthy to turn over a lot of the offensive power to him, allowing Mac to ascend to a full HC. Sorta like Bill B, and Marty S, that really are not a coordinator/HC like Mac still is.

Waldo, I was just going to post that. Perhaps you are right, and McMike is just a coaching product of some of his underwhelming Offensive and ST coaches. Personally I think the D coaches have really done a great job helping this team gel with the old vets and young guys (Raji stepped up today. Matthews has been great. Even Brad Jones made a key pressure today).

At the very least, Campen has to go. That OL is just a huge question mark week after week. Seems like the young guys don't really get any better either. Although, Lang seems pretty deece so far.