PDA

View Full Version : Where's The Love For Grant?

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 04:40 PM
I couldn't watch the game, but according to the stats Grant had one hell of a game against a defense known for stopping the running game.

How come I'm not feeling the love for Grant?

Something I'm missing that doesn't show up in the stats?

denverYooper
11-22-2009, 04:41 PM
Grant had a big day today. Some huge runs to keep the chains moving at times.

His run of 21 yards in the 4 minute drill was clutch.

Scott Campbell
11-22-2009, 04:46 PM
And our line blocked pretty well for him too. Brandon Jackson is playing well. The team may be improving, which is just as important as the W/L record at this point.

MOBB DEEP
11-22-2009, 04:46 PM
I couldn't watch the game, but according to the stats Grant had one hell of a game against a defense known for stopping the running game.

What do u want?

Bossman641
11-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Grant ran really hard today. He looked a little quicker than usual. I also think the addition of Jackson has really helped out as well. He is the best back at picking up the blitz and also provides a safety valve for Rodgers that Grant does not.

Did Ahman even play today?

Scott Campbell
11-22-2009, 04:51 PM
Grant ran really hard today. He looked a little quicker than usual. I also think the addition of Jackson has really helped out as well. He is the best back at picking up the blitz and also provides a safety valve for Rodgers that Grant does not.

I thought I saw him on the sidelines in street clothes.

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 04:53 PM

What do u want?

More cowbell!!!!

denverYooper
11-22-2009, 04:54 PM

No.

Here's what I've been wondering, though: is it a coincidence that Grant and BJack have looked better since Batman came aboard?

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 04:55 PM

No.

Here's what I've been wondering, though: is it a coincidence that Grant and BJack have looked better since Batman came aboard?

Grant's looked pretty darn good all year. Stubby just didn't feed him enough.

Scott Campbell

No.

I think that has a lot more to do with the line improving some, and Jackson working back into shape.

MOBB DEEP

What do u want?

More cowbell!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

jklowan
11-22-2009, 04:57 PM
A Green pulled a hammy in practice on friday, so will probably see Grant and Jackson again on thanksgiving

He seemed to be very good today and is quietly putting together another solid year

Fritz
11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I got some love for Grant in my pocket.

pbmax
11-22-2009, 07:19 PM
He ran tougher than I have seen him in some time. He also did not get hit behind the LOS much this game. When he had contact, he bounced of it and kept running. He has always been willing to hit the guy tackling him, but today it seemed like he made a move off that guy and got more yards.

He also saw some nice holes. O line had a good run blocking game, esp. in the first half.

bobblehead
11-22-2009, 08:15 PM

No.

I think the OL is starting to play better at about the same point it does every year....also BJack was hurt early.

Packers4Ever
11-22-2009, 09:03 PM

Re Grant, I thought he was looking better today than I've seen in a long time. He was shooting right through their D and frequently picked up extra yards. Hope he can hold on.....

gbgary
11-22-2009, 09:08 PM
had a real good game today. actually he's been pretty darn good all year. the key for grant, as far as i'm concerned, is keeping running him forward. no running around the end type runs. they need to work him into the passing game more too.

Brandon494
11-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Grant also rarely fumbles which is huge and with AR rarely throwing picks we have to be amoung the best in the NFL for least turnovers on offense.

BJack also looked very good today with some nice catches out of the backfield and pass blocking. Exactly what we need from him.

PackerTimer
11-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Grants numbers from the last five games have been pretty damn good. The Minny game was really his only bad performance and he hardly got the ball enough to do anything anyways. It seems like it takes our running game a half season to get in gear. If Grant and the running game can keep up with production like this we'll be in good shape.

27 - 148 - 5.5
10 - 30 - 3.0
21 - 96 - 4.6
19 - 79 - 4.2
21 - 129 - 6.1

98 - 482 - 4.9

Guiness
11-22-2009, 10:23 PM
More cowbell!!!!

http://www.journerdism.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/cowbell.jpg

retailguy
11-22-2009, 10:25 PM
Grants numbers from the last five games have been pretty damn good. The Minny game was really his only bad performance and he hardly got the ball enough to do anything anyways. It seems like it takes our running game a half season to get in gear. If Grant and the running game can keep up with production like this we'll be in good shape.

27 - 148 - 5.5
10 - 30 - 3.0
21 - 96 - 4.6
19 - 79 - 4.2
21 - 129 - 6.1

98 - 482 - 4.9

Grant needs a good OL to run behind. He's as good as the line, but will never be special.

True to form, the line runblocking has been improving the past several weeks. Pass blocking? Another story, but the run blocking has improved and grant, right with it.

When is the last time you saw Grant make something out of nothing? He just isn't that type of runner. He needs help and hasn't had it.

I'm not a grant fan, but he isn't the problem. It's the OL, and when they play well, he typically responds. He's good enough.

pbmax
11-22-2009, 11:02 PM
When is the last time you saw Grant make something out of nothing? He just isn't that type of runner. He needs help and hasn't had it.
Perhaps, but there was his first down run for the second first down of the Packers last drive. Philbin said it was blocked for a yard and Grant got 21 by bouncing it outside left. He is clearly not elite, but if he can do that once a game, it'll work.

retailguy
11-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Perhaps, but there was his first down run for the second first down of the Packers last drive. Philbin said it was blocked for a yard and Grant got 21 by bouncing it outside left. He is clearly not elite, but if he can do that once a game, it'll work.

I agree with this. I guess I wasn't clear. I was not talking about a single play, I was talking about games. When was the last time Grant did well during the game when his line didn't? That was my point. He's good, when he gets good blocking.

Waldo
11-23-2009, 01:14 AM
It's been said elsewhere that Batman is the best thing that could have happened to Grant. He's never been on a team with an experienced back like him. He's got wheels, he's got some power, and he's got some size, and is a decisive runner. At ND he didn't have another like him. In NY none were like him. Here in GB, same thing. Even though his coach played, still, Edgar was a different type of back. Green is (was) the same type of back as Grant. Green can show stuff to Grant on film and help him in ways that he's never had before out of teammates or coaches.

IMO there has been a huge change in Grant since Green was picked up. He is seeing it better. He has been harder to tackle. He is setting up his blocks better. And he's been laying a last lick.

I sent Grant a tweet congratulating him on his good day today.

SnakeLH2006
11-23-2009, 02:17 AM

:shock: :lol: What does Drew think about that, Fritz?

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, Grant really looked pretty good today. He's definitely not an explosive game-breaker anymore that he was in 2007....but he sure has become effective grounding out the tough yards. Very steady....and it's rare Snake praises Grant. Pretty solid game for Grant again.

pbmax
11-23-2009, 09:30 AM
It's been said elsewhere that Batman is the best thing that could have happened to Grant. He's never been on a team with an experienced back like him. He's got wheels, he's got some power, and he's got some size, and is a decisive runner. At ND he didn't have another like him. In NY none were like him. Here in GB, same thing. Even though his coach played, still, Edgar was a different type of back. Green is (was) the same type of back as Grant. Green can show stuff to Grant on film and help him in ways that he's never had before out of teammates or coaches.

IMO there has been a huge change in Grant since Green was picked up. He is seeing it better. He has been harder to tackle. He is setting up his blocks better. And he's been laying a last lick.

Grant wouldn't seem to have Green's feet or high leg action. Green was hard to grab onto as he ran with his pads well forward and picked his knees up high, leaving him like a bowling ball at any given point. Grant's longer strides leave him susceptible to being grabbed by an ankle or tripping on garbage.

I could, though, easily see Green showing Grant where the hole is. Green had great vision and Grant has sometimes followed blocking to nowhere.

3irty1
11-23-2009, 09:49 AM
I've never really been unhappy with Grant. He's the type of back who will carry the load all the way to the Superbowl. I'm not looking for the Packers to replace him but I'd welcome an elusive speedy back with good hands to compliment Grant's game.

Waldo
11-23-2009, 10:13 AM

Grant wouldn't seem to have Green's feet or high leg action. Green was hard to grab onto as he ran with his pads well forward and picked his knees up high, leaving him like a bowling ball at any given point. Grant's longer strides leave him susceptible to being grabbed by an ankle or tripping on garbage.

I could, though, easily see Green showing Grant where the hole is. Green had great vision and Grant has sometimes followed blocking to nowhere.

There are surely differences, and Green was the better back, but both are a little on the tall side for a RB (Grant is 6'1", Green is 6'0"), both are around 220 lb, both run (ran) between a 4.4 and 4.5 at top speed (Green had been clocked in the high 4.3's though, Green is (was) a little faster). Both are one cut decisive backs, neither was a jukey tackle breaker, instead preferring power.

Sure there are differences, Grant runs taller than Green, Green is more of a high stepper, etc..., but for Grant, who has known the smaller backs J. Jones, T. Barber, and B. Jackson (all of whom have a pretty similar style, shiftier than Grant), and the jumbo back B. Jacobs, and coach Bennet (more of a FB/RB hybrid (like a good Noah Herron)), nobody has really been a bigger 1 cut slicer back that doesn't have a lot of shiftyness, that relies on power more, yet has an open field gear to go with it. When looking at film and reading the blocking on the field, Green will see things much more similar to Grant than anybody he has played with or who has coached him.

Brandon494
11-23-2009, 11:13 AM
I've never really been unhappy with Grant. He's the type of back who will carry the load all the way to the Superbowl. I'm not looking for the Packers to replace him but I'd welcome an elusive speedy back with good hands to compliment Grant's game.

+1

Grant is a solid all-around back who rarely fumbles. He puts up solid numbers but would like to have a change of pace RB who can break the occasional long run.

Brandon494
11-23-2009, 11:15 AM

There are surely differences, and Green was the better back, but both are a little on the tall side for a RB (Grant is 6'1", Green is 6'0"), both are around 220 lb, both run (ran) between a 4.4 and 4.5 at top speed (Green had been clocked in the high 4.3's though, Green is (was) a little faster). Both are one cut decisive backs, neither was a jukey tackle breaker, instead preferring power.

Sure there are differences, Grant runs taller than Green, Green is more of a high stepper, etc..., but for Grant, who has known the smaller backs J. Jones, T. Barber, and B. Jackson (all of whom have a pretty similar style, shiftier than Grant), and the jumbo back B. Jacobs, and coach Bennet (more of a FB/RB hybrid (like a good Noah Herron)), nobody has really been a bigger 1 cut slicer back that doesn't have a lot of shiftyness, that relies on power more, yet has an open field gear to go with it. When looking at film and reading the blocking on the field, Green will see things much more similar to Grant than anybody he has played with or who has coached him.

Also Green has a all-pro O-line to run behind.

Pugger
11-23-2009, 03:01 PM

No.

No. I think Grant especially has been running well ever since Green came back home. :wink:

Scott Campbell
11-23-2009, 04:11 PM
That was my point. He's good, when he gets good blocking.

Shouldn't it go without saying that a run game relies heavily on good blocking?

HarveyWallbangers
11-23-2009, 04:25 PM
How many years in a row have we struggled the first handful of games, then turned it around? Grant is what he is. He's not elite, but he's good enough to get the job done. I see him like I see Donald Lee. Neither guy is as sucky as some make them out to be. Would you rather have an elite player? Sure, but you aren't going to have elite at every position and they are good enough to win with.

ThunderDan
11-23-2009, 04:32 PM
How many years in a row have we struggled the first handful of games, then turned it around? Grant is what he is. He's not elite, but he's good enough to get the job done. I see him like I see Donald Lee. Neither guy is as sucky as some make them out to be. Would you rather have an elite player? Sure, but you aren't going to have elite at every position and they are good enough to win with.

Please don't compare Donald Lee to any other Packer. I don't see how they could be playing at Donald's low level.

He has had a lot of drops the last 4 weeks.

bobblehead
11-23-2009, 04:35 PM

I'm only speculating, but since we can't actually practice backside cut blocks it makes sense we aren't ready to execute them when the season starts. As the guys get more comfortable dropping guys on the backside Grant gets more comfortable actually cutting back when need be.

I think that is at least part of the reason we start so slow.

I don't buy that Green has made a big difference in Grant, in 2007 Green wasn't around and Grant looked pretty stellar making one cut and running downhill, I think the timing is coincidence....and BJack simply got healthy finally (and playing time)

SnakeLH2006
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM

Please don't compare Donald Lee to any other Packer. I don't see how they could be playing at Donald's low level.

The young stud TE from Texas looked good again this week. Is he totally healthy now?

Partial
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
Grant looks like a different player since Green joined the roster. Don't know why that is but its likely a combination of competition getting healthy (Nebraska kid, Green), OL jelling, as well as commitment to the run. I'm not ready to call him good or anything, but he has been a pleasant surprise the past few weeks and looked pretty good as a work horse.

ThunderDan
11-23-2009, 06:26 PM

The young stud TE from Texas looked good again this week. Is he totally healthy now?

I was so happy to see Finley available for the game. He brings a whole new demension to the TE position for the Pack.

get louder at lambeau
11-23-2009, 06:42 PM
Grant rushed for more yards than anyone in the league this week. I'll give him some luv-

:hrt: :bow: :worship: :cow: :glug: :clap: :bclap: :wow: :drma: :rock: :knll: :bump: :alc: :five: :flag: :tup: :wave:

Scott Campbell
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Grant rushed for more yards than anyone in the league this week. I'll give him some luv-

:hrt: :bow: :worship: :cow: :glug: :clap: :bclap: :wow: :drma: :rock: :knll: :bump: :alc: :five: :flag: :tup: :wave:

Great game. But Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton still get a crack at it tonight.

Fritz
11-23-2009, 07:08 PM

:shock: :lol: What does Drew think about that, Fritz?

If Drew would respond to my emails, twitters, scribbled notes, airplane smoke messages, or telepathic messages, I would not be offering Grant anything but advice.

----------------------------------------------

Anyway, Grant really looked pretty good today. He's definitely not an explosive game-breaker anymore that he was in 2007....but he sure has become effective grounding out the tough yards. Very steady....and it's rare Snake praises Grant. Pretty solid game for Grant again.

Scott Campbell
11-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Does a restraining order count as a response?

sheepshead
11-23-2009, 07:12 PM

I'm tellin' ya, we're watching a poorly coached, uninspired football team. Grant had a great game and we should be ecstatic. The 49ers almost pulled a Tampa Bay. We are not playing good football for 4 quarters and Mike Mornhinweg has lost my confidence. Do you really think the Saints are THAT much better than us on paper? I think its coming from the sidelines for those guys.

Fritz
11-23-2009, 07:21 PM

I don't think she cares enough to bother with a restraining order...

MJZiggy
11-23-2009, 07:24 PM
The bitch.

SnakeLH2006
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM

I don't think she cares enough to bother with a restraining order...

Tell ya what bud..Send over a couple of cases of bratwurst, and Snake'll dispatch a crack team of ninja's to take care of that Drew problem for ya, Fritz. :smack: :?