PDA

View Full Version : What happened in the second half?

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Again, I didn't get to watch the game...

Did the Packers come out flat at halftime or what?

From the stats it seems like we closed them down in the first half, then their passing game really picked up.

Did Stubby fail to adjust or to fire them up?

Fritz
11-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I don't know, but it was exactly the scenario you'd want to paint for this defense - force SF into the passing game, then turn the dogs loose. But SF seemed to have the right calls for blitzes - ie quick throws down the middle. That and there was a huge special teams blunder after the Pack went up 30-10. A big kickoff return that set SF up and put t hem right back in the game.

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't know, but it was exactly the scenario you'd want to paint for this defense - force SF into the passing game, then turn the dogs loose. But SF seemed to have the right calls for blitzes - ie quick throws down the middle. That and there was a huge special teams blunder after the Pack went up 30-10. A big kickoff return that set SF up and put t hem right back in the game.

Thanks, Fritz. Well, at least they'll have film of SF's passes to stop that type of thing next time.

And re: Special Teams. "We'll fix that." :)

Fritz
11-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Special Teams is killing this team.

mission
11-22-2009, 05:29 PM
McCarthy ballessness happened.

Maxie the Taxi
11-22-2009, 05:32 PM

??

mission
11-22-2009, 05:54 PM

??

Sound it out.

(MM went into his patented "lead preservation mode")

Jimx29
11-22-2009, 06:13 PM
McCarthy ballessness happened.beat me to it

red
11-22-2009, 06:24 PM
yes, it looked like m3 pulled his dick off, and tried to eat it thinking it was a hotdog

pbmax
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Not buying play calling complaints. They didn't go run only mode and they still tried to go deep. Three things actually happened:

1. Niners adjusted to the blitzes. There was FAR less pressure on Smith in the second half. When they blitzed Wood or Al, it put a LB on Davis and that was how he got deep twice.

1a. Smith looked better in the spread than a conventional formation as well. I don't think we knew much about that formation from them. Crabtree and Davis both looked good in this attack.

2. Niners defense started beating the Packer O line and got much more pressure. Sitton and Tauscher both allowed easy and early pressures.

3. Special Teams and that return.

Bretsky
11-22-2009, 07:20 PM
MM outcoached Singletary today

Scott Campbell
11-22-2009, 07:22 PM

That's what I think too. It was a good win.

When was the last time we ran the ball down the opponents throat - running off 4 minutes + of clock to finish them off?

Bretsky
11-22-2009, 07:27 PM

When was the last time we ran the ball down the opponents throat - running off 4 minutes + of clock to finish them off?

I have a hard time being critical when we beat an average to above average team. We needed to win. We were suppose to win. Winning in the NFL is no guarantee. We took care of business.

Bossman641
11-22-2009, 07:45 PM

I have a hard time being critical when we beat an average to above average team. We needed to win. We were suppose to win. Winning in the NFL is no guarantee. We took care of business.

Look what happened today alone with the Raiders knockin off the Bengals and Chiefs beating the Steelers. I'm not about to complain about a win.

digitaldean
11-22-2009, 07:47 PM
I agree SF made some great adjustments to our D.

Maybe I was too hasty in the playcalling dept. complaint. It was just frustrating seeing SF just march up and down the field. That pick by Collins was a game saver.

The challenge Singletary took was a little bit of a headscratcher.

Nelson ran some great interference for GJ on the TD run, even pancaked the last defender.

Still can't stand Donald Lee as a receiver. He has hands of stone should elminate any pass plays to him.

packer4life
11-22-2009, 08:00 PM
some positives that i enjoyed from the game:

- another paw on the ball by jolly at the LOS
- multiple tackles behind the line of scrimmage by our front 7
- the return of the YAC (see jennings' tuddy)
- donald driver. can the man be more electrifying to watch
- successful screen passes with bjax (although still room to improve)

feel free to add your own, we need to get excited. A W is a W. Get ready for the Brad Jones/Jarret Bush era.

bobblehead
11-22-2009, 08:03 PM
SF did make some adjustments, but on 3rd and very long Crab pushed off Harris big time for a long score. That made it a 2 score game and MM DID go into his soft cushion zone (or Capers, whoever) after that so we wouldn't give up another quick score....problem was that there was still 7 minutes to go in the 3rd quarter. The D played the entire 4th quarter soft, and to top it off we gave up that monster KO return.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-22-2009, 08:05 PM

Ty predicted this win.

Outcoaching Singletary should be a given. Singletary has a ton of great attributes, but game day coaching isn't one of them yet.

Cheesehead Craig
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
What happened was that Smith got his head out of his ass and made some really good throws. Add in that Davis was getting open and he just caused our defense some huge mismatches.

Smith's TD throws to Davis and Crabtree were completely where they needed to be. Just great plays against very good coverage.

Scott Campbell
11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
What happened was that Smith got his head out of his ass and made some really good throws. Add in that Davis was getting open and he just caused our defense some huge mismatches.

Smith's TD throws to Davis and Crabtree were completely where they needed to be. Just great plays against very good coverage.

Not too shabby for a "bust".

Cheesehead Craig
11-22-2009, 09:17 PM

Not too shabby for a "bust".
He's had moments this season where it seems to come together. I think they should stick with him and get some help elsewhere in the draft and FA. He's finally got a real good core of talent around him and he's coming around.

Guiness
11-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Not buying play calling complaints. They didn't go run only mode and they still tried to go deep. Three things actually happened:

1. Niners adjusted to the blitzes. There was FAR less pressure on Smith in the second half. When they blitzed Wood or Al, it put a LB on Davis and that was how he got deep twice.

1a. Smith looked better in the spread than a conventional formation as well. I don't think we knew much about that formation from them. Crabtree and Davis both looked good in this attack.

2. Niners defense started beating the Packer O line and got much more pressure. Sitton and Tauscher both allowed easy and early pressures.

3. Special Teams and that return.

That sums up a lot of what I saw. The KO return was a big momentum changer. The guys in the booth must've seen something wrt Davis at the half, because it seems to me that he was quiet in the first half, and they sure found him in the passing game in the second half.

Also heard Bush's name called twice. Why was he on the field? Was Bigby sitting down for some reason?

edit: from what I read above, he comes in for dime?

MichiganPackerFan
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
MM took his foot off the accelerator.

As far a Singletary's challenge went, if he was going to call a timeout anyway to stop the clock and lose the opportunity to use his challenge anyway at the 2:00 mark in about 30 seconds, why not throw the flag and see if you can buy yourself an extra time out if you're right. If you're wrong, you only lose the challenge you can't use anyway and the timeout you were going to call anyway. Am I missing something here?

ThunderDan
11-23-2009, 10:58 AM
The best thing about the Singletary's challenge is he couldn't win it.

He challenged the spot of the ball and not down by contact. You can only move a ball on a spot challenge if it results in a 1st down/loss of 1st down or puts points on/off the board.

Smidgeon
11-23-2009, 11:57 AM

He challenged the spot of the ball and not down by contact. You can only move a ball on a spot challenge if it results in a 1st down/loss of 1st down or puts points on/off the board.

Pretty sure the announcers were idiots on this one. They kept saying that they disagree with the call on the field, that the ball should have been moved back a yard. Apparently they didn't know (especially a recently former head coach) that you can't challenge the spot, unless it relates to points or a first down. One of many gaffes by that announcement team.

MichiganPackerFan
11-23-2009, 12:00 PM

Pretty sure the announcers were idiots on this one. They kept saying that they disagree with the call on the field, that the ball should have been moved back a yard. Apparently they didn't know (especially a recently former head coach) that you can't challenge the spot, unless it relates to points or a first down. One of many gaffes by that announcement team.

They were pretty bad:

"Mike McCartney"
"Shot out of a canyon"
"Kampman missed the Green Bay game last week"

Sparkey
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM

I agree, just ask Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. :o

Sparkey
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM

They were pretty bad:

"Mike McCartney"
"Shot out of a canyon"

I am pretty sure that Kampman did miss the Dallas game, but you are right, the announcers were pretty bad. Seems a lot of announcers use the shotgun approach to commentary. Throw out a bunch of shit and hope some of it sticks.

MichiganPackerFan
11-24-2009, 10:00 AM

They were pretty bad:

"Mike McCartney"
"Shot out of a canyon"

I am pretty sure that Kampman did miss the Dallas game, but you are right, the announcers were pretty bad. Seems a lot of announcers use the shotgun approach to commentary. Throw out a bunch of shit and hope some of it sticks.

He did miss the Dallas game, but why would you say he missed the Green Bay game instead?!