PDA

View Full Version : First Day of Camp

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 07:16 AM
Good Morning Packer Rats,

Welcome to the first day of camp. It's been a long offseason and we are on the threshold of something useful to see (and new to talk about).

Who is taking their cameras to practice to capture it for the distance-challenged? By the way, please note that those of us who are not in Green Bay REALLY appreciate those who do post shots of our team. Everyone who's going please wear your jerseys so you will be able to find each other. :lol: Did you decide how you're really gonna do that?

AJ Hawk will sign today and we are still undefeated. It's a kool-aid morning.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 07:31 AM
Well, that'll teach me to post before I've had my coffee... :oops:

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 07:40 AM
" Everyone who's going please wear your jerseys so you will be able to find each other. Did you decide how you're really gonna do that? " MJZiggy

Everyone could wear a T-Shirt in a nice purple. Yet, then Security would be keeping a close eye on ya, and for Moses sake hide the camera's well.

No - Communicate here on Ziggy's thread, a specific time to meet for say, 5-6 PM Brewskies: @ Curleys Pub or some other convenient Pub/Bar.

Once a couple of you hook up ! Just stand at the left of the bar and smile and wave alot to everyone that arrives in that area and ask -

"Are you a RAT ". mmmmmm, maybe not :mrgreen:

It'll come together.

red
07-28-2006, 07:58 AM
no injuries today please

we don't need a lecharles bentley incident at the first day of our camp

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:05 AM
no injuries today please

we don't need a lecharles bentley incident at the first day of our camp

Red we've been around awhile and we know that those head shaking injuries in TC will call on us.

Yet, I agree Red - Please, "may the Football God's treat us with kindness".

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 08:15 AM
Woobuck, there's no need to wear purple, these guys just need to use a Packer towel or printed bandanna as a sweat towel and identify themselves that way. It just has to be agreed upon and perhaps a location as well.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 08:18 AM
Don't know if anyone else posted this...

Hawk's deal may be done by tonight

By Rob Demovsky
rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

Negotiations with first-round draft pick A.J. Hawk may have reached their final stage on Thursday, a day before the Green Bay Packers are scheduled to open training camp.

The talks were aided when the two players selected immediately before Hawk, third overall pick Vince Young and No. 4 pick D'Brickashaw Ferguson, agreed to contracts. Terms of Ferguson's deal with the New York Jets weren't immediately available, but Young reportedly signed a five-year deal with the Tennessee Titans that included $25.7 million in guaranteed money. The contract has an option for a sixth year with a total value that could be as much as $58 million.

With the financial picture becoming clear, presumably all that's left to work out is whether Hawk does a five- or six-year contract.

General Manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy said Thursday afternoon they were holding out hope that Hawk's negotiations would be completed in time for today's first training camp practice at 6:30 p.m.

"I anticipate him being there," McCarthy said. "Everything I've been told to this point has been positive. I know both sides are working at trying to get a deal done. As you know, deals can be done in five minutes or they can be done in five months. We feel very positive about the way things are going and we're hopeful it will all be resolved by tomorrow."

Later Thursday evening, Hawk's Chicago-based agent, Mike McCartney, indicated that completing his client's contract before tonight's opening practice was a possibility.

"We're talking, and I'm optimistic," McCartney said in an e-mail to the Press-Gazette.

Talks between McCartney and Andrew Brandt, the Packers' vice president of player finance, have been on-going and amicable.

"I mean, you never know, but this is the way business is done in the NFL," Thompson said. "You try to get your guys signed before camp. Andrew is on the phone all the time. There were 12 (draft picks) to sign, so it took a lot of time."

Brandt on Thursday completed the deals for two other draft picks, second-round guard Daryn Colledge and fifth-round quarterback Ingle Martin. That left only Hawk and fellow linebacker Abdul Hodge, a third-round pick, unsigned.

Colledge signed a four-year contract, according to his agent, Jeff Sperbeck. The deal was completed at noon Thursday.

"We started talking seriously about two weeks ago," Sperbeck said. "Daryn bought a house (in Green Bay) already so he was there waiting to go. We figured we were pretty close, and he was ready to get after it."

The 6-foot-4 and 299-pound Colledge was the 47th overall pick. He played both guard and tackle at Boise State and has been penciled in as the Packers' starting left guard.

Martin, a 6-2 and 220-pound quarterback from Furman, was the 148th overall pick. He completed his contract on Thursday afternoon.

It was unclear what is holding up the negotiations with Hodge, the 67th overall pick out of Iowa. His agent, Mitch Frankel, did return phone messages or e-mails.

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 08:19 AM
i officially declare green bay a mike sherman free zone.yippee

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 08:45 AM
Woobuck, there's no need to wear purple, these guys just need to use a Packer towel or printed bandanna as a sweat towel and identify themselves that way. It just has to be agreed upon and perhaps a location as well.

MJ there may be up to 10,000 fans there and also no sissy ass'd Packer fan is going to go around trailing a towel. Certainly no PACKERRAT would go there. Maybe - well that's certainly not, let's just say Canadian. LOL

The bandana thing suggests to me a Harley Davidson or Biker's Rally. Hell's no Angels.

Do the guys have to have a tough looking chick hanging at their right hip?

That thought of a towel - reminds me of a peanuts cartoon MJ. :mrgreen:

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 08:54 AM
no offense m.j. but the towel idea is almost as bad as suggesting everyone get a mullet hair cut with the rat tail in back.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 08:57 AM
When did terrible towels go out? I just thought if you guys were carrying something recognizable you might find each other.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 09:04 AM
Maybe you guys can all were a Brett Favre jersey. :wink:

Patler
07-28-2006, 09:06 AM
:cool:

Zool
07-28-2006, 09:07 AM
no offense m.j. but the towel idea is almost as bad as suggesting everyone get a mullet hair cut with the rat tail in back.

A mullet and a rat tail? Is that possible? That would be a rare breed indeed.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 09:10 AM
Would this work MJ ?

Packers And American Family Insurance To Fight Heart Disease

posted 07/27/2006

PACKERS HEART CAP TO RAISE MONEY FOR THE CAUSE

http://images.packers.com/images/action/redhat_heart_a.jpg

Purchase a Packers Heart Cap online at www.PackersProShop.com.

The Green Bay Packers and American Family Insurance Thursday announced the theme of this year's Packers cap campaign, the Packers Heart Cap, to raise money for the fight against heart disease.

This is the second joint campaign for the two organizations. Last year's effort, the Packers Breast Cancer Cap, raised more than $1 million for the fight against breast cancer.

Through sales of the Packers Heart Cap, a red baseball-styled cap featuring the Packers' 'G' on the front, with an American Family Insurance logo and green and gold heart on the side, the two organizations will raise money to be distributed to statewide charities focusing on heart disease research, prevention and support.

"We're once again proud to join with American Family Insurance in support of such a worthy cause," Packers Chairman and CEO Bob Harlan said in making the announcement. "The statistics about heart disease and how many people it affects are staggering. The good news is that most of the contributing factors can largely be prevented through lifestyle changes. This effort will help raise awareness and contribute money to charities engaged in the fight."

Heart disease is the leading cause of death among both men and women in America and a major cause of disability. In fact, heart diseases claim more lives each year than the next four leading causes of death combined, including cancer, respiratory diseases, diabetes and accidents. In Wisconsin, it accounts for 36.6 percent of all deaths. One in three women will get heart disease and one in four men will be afflicted.

"This is getting to be a habit for American Family Insurance and the Green Bay Packers, teaming up to address a serious health issue facing Wisconsin residents," said American Family Vice President Rich Steffen. "Last year's results were tremendous so the bar has been set pretty high. But there's no reason we can't achieve similar success with this year's campaign as well. We're giving Packers fans the opportunity to acquire a great-looking Packers hat...in Wisconsin red, to boot...for a great cause."

Packers Red Cap public service announcements (PSAs) featuring Packers Head Coach Mike McCarthy will be distributed to television stations around the state to help spread the word about the campaign.

Each sale of the cap, priced at $15, will result in a $5 donation going to charity. Caps now are available online at www.packersproshop.com, as well as at the Packers Pro Shop, Packers Pro Shop Extra Points and concession stands at training camp and on game days. Participating American Family Insurance agents also will have caps available for purchase beginning next week.

The Packers Heart Cap is the second program in a three-year partnership between the Packers and American Family Insurance. Next year's campaign also will be based on a charitable initiative that is close to the two organizations.

Based in Madison, Wis., American Family Insurance offers multi-line insurance and financial services in 18 states, and is the largest provider of auto and homeowners insurance in Wisconsin. American Family ranks 323rd on the Fortune 500 list and is the nation's third largest mutual property/casualty insurance company.

Green Bud Packer
07-28-2006, 09:12 AM
you've hit on something patler.mad should start selling packerrat tees.we'd all know who's who and the site could make some upkeep cash.brillant!

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 09:17 AM
you've hit on something patler.mad should start selling packerrat tees.we'd all know who's who and the site could make some upkeep cash.brillant!

Mad likely has that idea in mind, and it would certainly work - once the membership of really active posters picks up more.

This site will grow.

GO PACKERS !!

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 09:23 AM
Well besides how you lucky bastards who live in Gb are going to meet, what are you guys most looking forward to seeing today. I am really interseted to see how the wide outs play.

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 09:50 AM
I don't like the red hats for the new campaign....I think they are going to be in for a big letdown after seeing the success of the pink hats for breast cancer.

I could be wrong,but since Deanna isn't behind this, I don't see the popularity as the pink hats had.

I have to meet a client for lunch and then possibly will be stopping by to get a few shots of TC tonight..but i will be there Monday for sure.

Partial
07-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Do they ever practice on weekends? I'd love to make it up there but cannot foresee it happening on a weekday due to work and other scheduling conflicts

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 09:58 AM
they sure do, partial....

Fri. July 28 • 6:30 p.m. - full pads
Sat. July 29 • 2:00 p.m. - full pads
Sun. July 30 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
• 6:30 p.m. - full pads
Mon. July 31 • 2:00 p.m. - full pads
Tues. Aug. 1 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Wed. Aug. 2 • 2:00 p.m. - full pads
Thurs. Aug. 3 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Fri. Aug. 4 • 2:00 p.m. - TBD
Sat. Aug. 5 • 6:30 p.m. - full pads
(Family Night scrimmage)
Sun. Aug. 6
Mon. Aug. 7 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Tues. Aug. 8 • 2:00 p.m. - full pads
Wed. Aug. 9 • 9:00 a.m. - full pads
Thurs. Aug. 10 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Fri. Aug. 11
Sat. Aug. 12 • preseason game at San Diego Chargers - 9:00 p.m. CDT
Sun. Aug. 13
Mon. Aug. 14 • 2:00 p.m. - shells
Tues. Aug. 15 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Wed. Aug. 16 • 2:00 p.m. - full pads
Thurs. Aug. 17 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
Fri. Aug. 18
Sat. Aug. 19 • preseason game vs. Atlanta Falcons - 7:00 p.m.
Sun. Aug. 20
Mon. Aug. 21 • 2:00 p.m. - shells
Tues. Aug. 22 • 9:00 a.m. - shells
• p.m. practice (closed)
Wed. Aug. 23 • closed practice
Thurs. Aug. 24 • 10:30 a.m. - TBD
Fri. Aug. 25 • 10:30 a.m. - full pads
Sat. Aug. 26 • 10:00 a.m. - shells
Sun. Aug. 27
Mon. Aug. 28 • preseason game at Cincinnati Bengals - 7:00 p.m. CDT

ALL PRACTICES CLOSED TO PUBLIC FOR REMAINDER OF SEASON

Partial
07-28-2006, 09:58 AM
You guys shouldn't print out the logo. I do not know the legality of that and don't want Mad to get in trouble. Let me talk to him and figure out what he has in store on this matter rather than jumping the gun. If you guys want to meet up, declare a meeting place, perhaps a local establishment and walk over together. I'm not sure what to tell you, i've never been to camp

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:01 AM
they sure do, partial....

Beautiful! Thanks GBM!! I am going to have to head up there for a Saturday practice. If anyone wants to meet, I would be more than happy to hang out with anybody

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 10:01 AM
I've used Anduzzi's as a meeting place.....but I realize that not all of you are 21, as it is a bar.

I can use Ziggy's old street corner as a meeting place, too.... :wink:

Fosco33
07-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I like the red hat. Bought one yesterday - reminds be of 'Badger red'. And to be totataly sexist, how many guys did you see w/ the pink hats? Men/Women can where the red ones w/o being kicked out of their local drinking holes...

Travbrew
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
This sucks. I was in WI 2 weeks ago and missed out. Now I'm back in SC sweating my ass off and read about all yous going to tc and meeting up. One of these days I'll make it there for camp. Until then I can only dream. And enjoy the pics you all post for everyone's enjoyment. (hint, hint). Thanks in advance for sharing (again, please).
I like the idea of the mullet, but that probably won't happen. May I suggest finding a little rat kitty chew toy from a pet store, and pin it to your shirt.

RashanGary
07-28-2006, 10:55 AM
I'll be around for a few when my summer semester ends and before my fall semester begins.

I'd wear a packerrats shirt. I acctually think it would be pretty cool. It can't have that rat on it though. Sorry, I would not wear splinter on my back.

Just a simple PACKERRATS.com on the front right like a little embroidered symbol thingy but big enough to be visable and maybe a bigger packerrats.com on center of the back with a packer G or something like that.

I don't know, I'm not a clothing designer. Maybe the girls and HH can whip something up. :mrgreen:

Badgepack
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Me too Travbrew, I was just in Wisconsin 2 weeks ago, I just missed the Packer tour bus when they went to the Kohl Center (damn).

Anyhow, with Mads permission, you campers could just go buy a $4.00 white t-shirt, copy the Packerats cheese logo (not the Packer/Rat/G logo), print it on an iron-on paper, and iron on the shirt. Cost about $6.00 and no copyright crap.

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
:roll:

*that was for the clothing designer comment not the one about copying the cheese. (Isert your own bad cheese joke here.)

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:57 AM
I like the red hat. Bought one yesterday - reminds be of 'Badger red'. And to be totataly sexist, how many guys did you see w/ the pink hats? Men/Women can where the red ones w/o being kicked out of their local drinking holes...

Your new RED Packer Hat Fosco33 - kicks ass !

Very sharp hat.

Congratulations on your fine taste.

CaptainKickass
07-28-2006, 12:48 PM
One website should help you all -

www.cafepress.com

Yoy can upload a copy of the logo and pick what shirt/hat/hoodie etc to put it on and then purchase your own item

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 12:52 PM
You guys shouldn't print out the logo. I do not know the legality of that and don't want Mad to get in trouble. Let me talk to him and figure out what he has in store on this matter rather than jumping the gun. If you guys want to meet up, declare a meeting place, perhaps a local establishment and walk over together. I'm not sure what to tell you, i've never been to camp

This sounds like excellent advice.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
Posted July 28, 2006

Night practice excites McCarthy

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
dtomlinson@postcrescent.com

Mike McCarthy wants the Green Bay Packers to take back the night.

When the Packers open training camp at 6:30 tonight on Clarke Hinkle Field, they will do so under the lights.

With the lights on, McCarthy wants the Packers to put on a show.

While just about any Packers workout would draw a huge crowd, McCarthy said he knows the night practices will add excitement for the coaches, players and fans.

"The best practices I've ever been involved with in training camp were night practices," McCarthy said. "(When I was) in New Orleans, in Thibodaux, La., we'd have 8,000 to 10,000 people in the stands. The players would be sprinting through the walk-throughs. The players like that, when the lights come on and you put people in the stands."

This will be McCarthy's first training camp as the Packers' coach and he said he was eager to get to work.

"Right now, I'm just looking forward to going to practice," McCarthy said. "As coaches and players, we just enjoy being on the field. We're all just looking forward to getting on to the practice field and finding out where we are as a football team."

The Packers were 4-12 last season, and while many expect this to be a rebuilding season, McCarthy said he has high expectations and said he won't be satisfied by mediocrity.

"In this league, you see big turnarounds happen year after year," McCarthy said. "I would not ever be comfortable standing in front of a group of men and tell them to go 8-8. That's not in my nature, and I don't think that's the way we approach this business. If we play a certain way, there's no reason why we can't win a lot of football games."

With camp beginning, McCarthy said he's eager to get several players back who are coming off serious injuries. Running backs Najeh Davenport (ankle) and Ahman Green (quadriceps) were on injured reserve last season, but McCarthy said he's optimistic both players will be cleared soon, possibly as early as today.

"We're going to play the high side of caution with both Najeh and Ahman," McCarthy said. "But in June, they looked like they were ready to go. We'll know a lot more (today)."

McCarthy also confirmed the Packers will begin training camp with rookies Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz as starters at the guard positions.

McCarthy said one of his goals during training camp and the preseason is to give extensive playing time to backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers, in part to make sure Brett Favre doesn't get overworked.

McCarthy will be relying a great deal on young, inexperienced players as he gets ready for the season. But even with 12 draft picks, McCarthy is excited and optimistic about what's ahead.

"I think we have a very talented bunch of young players," McCarthy said. "We're raw and young at some positions, but I think that's healthy. I really like what we have."

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
thanks for posting Woodbuck.... however, I don't get what M3 is so excited about. Practice at 6:30 isn't what I consider "under the lights" since the sun doesn't set until 8:30.

now, if it were a 6:30 in the winter, now THAT would be under the lights....

I'll take a run over there and get some pics for you guys....

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Twas the first eve of TC 2006....

Welcome to Green Bay, WI....the smallest market of any venue in professional sports....
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/sign.jpg

Although you'd never know it by just taking a look at all the cars in the stadium lot.....
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/parkinglot.jpg

hmmm, is it a game....no it's the official start of Training Camp 2006 !
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/field.jpg

Unfortunately.... there were just too many people to get anywhere near the fence...
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/crowd.jpg

Sorry fellow packerrats..... I wish I could have done better in the reporting area, but it was just too crowded to see anything. Although I did walk all the way down to the other end and squeezed between two kids to get a shot of all people.....yawn...BJ Sander... which by the way, will be kicking for someone this year, but probably not the Packers. Jon Ryan was bootingn those punts about 50-60 yards tonight with a moderate cross wind blowing. The crowd was cheering.... however, on the receiving punts department, let's just say that when Greg Jennings finally caught a call, the crowd roared out in excitement that one of the many punt returners out there actually caught the damn ball. I have total confidence that we'll GET R DONE..... in the meantime....say buh bye to BJ.... (IMO)
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/Sander.jpg

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 07:42 PM
double....sorry

BallHawk
07-28-2006, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the report, GB. No matter how little it is, I still love it.

green_bowl_packer
07-28-2006, 08:11 PM
Next best thing than being there!!! Thanks for the pics!

Noodle
07-28-2006, 08:24 PM
Did Ahman practice?

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 08:35 PM
mad is going to set up an account for me so that I can dump videos and stuff and link them right to PR...in the meantime, here is a clip of the punters from tonight....

Click here to watch TC-Punters (http://media.putfile.com/TC-Punters)

BooHoo
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the pics.

GrnBay007
07-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes, thanks for the pics Michele! Ever think of taking in a border or 3 for the season? :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanks!

PCastleberg
07-28-2006, 09:33 PM
hmmm, is it a game....no it's the official start of Training Camp 2006 !
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/field.jpg

Nice job you got a shot of the back of my brothers head...LOL! I would recognize that black curly hair anywhere...

...thanks for the picks and notes.

PC

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Nice to have you here PC.

Great pics Mich!

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 10:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'm going for a little while on Monday as well. We'll see how many die-hards will be standing out there when it's 100 degrees and humid!

007.... sure!! Why stop at 3 though? :wink:
BTW, are you coming here at all during camp?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Its awesome haing you guys on this forum, nice pics!

HarveyWallbangers
07-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Nice job you got a shot of the back of my brothers head...LOL! I would recognize that black curly hair anywhere...

Seriously?

PCastleberg
07-28-2006, 10:37 PM

Seriously?

yes the guy with the gray shirt and the black curly hair is my bro...he is a physical therapist and lives like less than a mile from the stadium....

PC

Joemailman
07-28-2006, 10:38 PM
Yes, thanks for the pics Michele! Ever think of taking in a border or 3 for the season? :wink:

I sense a grailistic opportunity here! :razz:

OKC PackerFan
07-28-2006, 11:00 PM
Cliff Christl:
Packer Insider

Journal Sentinel reporter Cliff Christl, who has covered the Green Bay Packers for more than four decades, provides his views on the team.

FRIDAY, July 28, 2006, 10:39 p.m.

Camp report, July 28
THUMBS UP

Desperate for a dominant defensive lineman, the Packers have clung to the hope in the recent past that they could coax at least one last hurrah out of a string of broken down, out-of-gas veterans who more often than not brought little more than name recognition to the roster.

Thus, from a prematurely descending and overweight Gilbert Brown to a dispassionate Joe Johnson to an indolent Cletidus Hunt to an aging and overweight Grady Jackson, the Packers have tolerated this parade of teases summer after summer. The Packers put up with them even though they all seemed bent on avoiding as much work as possible in training camp.

A year ago, when new defensive line coaches Bob Sanders and Robert Nunn introduced a series of demanding drills at the start of most practices, Jackson and Hunt stood in shorts and observed without ever a hint that they were chomping at the bit to join the action.

On Friday night, the first night of training camp 2006, there were 14 defensive linemen on hand and every one participated in the up-tempo drills now being directed by Nunn and his new fellow defensive line coach, Carl Hairston. Not only did all 14 linemen participate, they all survived without their tongues hanging out. It only makes sense that if the Packers are going to make use of the drills that they have linemen who are able to handle them.

Perhaps the best news of all was that defensive tackle Kenderick Allen reported at 321, four pounds under his prescribed weight and 20 less than he weighed at the first mini-camp. Allen also impressed by winning all three of his battles in the one-on-one pass rush drill.

THUMBS DOWN

Forty-million dollar cornerback Charles Woodson looked like just another rank-and-file player or at least someone who had skipped most all of the Packers' offensive workouts. Woodson said he was in tip-top shape, but Brett Favre repeatedly smoked him in seven-on-seven. Rookies Greg Jennings and Chris Francies caught hooks from Favre in front of Woodson. Free agent Ruvell Martin beat Woodson deep by a good step, but couldn't haul the pass in when their feet got tangled. Donald Driver climaxed the second 7-on-7 period by blowing past Woodson on a go pattern for and catching a 75-yard touchdown pass from Favre.

INJURY REPORT

Wide receiver Leo Bookman and cornerback Patrick Dendy had to leave practice with injuries to their right ankles. Linebacker Nick Barnett had to be helped off the field at one point with a cramp.

The eight players placed on the physically unable to perform list will be ineligible to practice until they are activated. Those players are wide receivers Robert Ferguson and Rod Gardner; running back Ahman Green; linebackers Brady Poppinga, Byron Santiago and Tim Goodwell; cornerback Will Blackmon; and safety Marquand Manuel.

ODDS & ENDS

The temperature at the start of practice was 95 degrees. ... Like his predecessor, Mike McCarthy is using local officials at the practices. ... The lights were turned on at 7:45 p.m., one hour and 15 minutes into the workout.

Free-agent punter Jon Ryan drew applause throughout the night for some towering punts. In the first punting period, he averaged 64.3 yards on eight punts. In the second period, he averaged 58 yards on six punts. It should be noted that Ryan was punting with a wind to his back, lacked consistency with regard to hang time and sometimes appeared a shade slow getting the ball off. B.J. Sander averaged 58.8 yards in the first period and 49.4 yards in the second period.

During the kicking session, Billy Cundiff made his extra point and field goals from the 24-, 29- and 34-yard lines. Dave Rayner missed from the 29 and didn't get a chance to kick from the 34.

Samkon Gado ran with the No. 1 unit at tailback. ... With Marquand Manuel not ready to practice, Marviel Underwood lined up with the No. 1 defense at strong safety. ... Roy Manning took A.J. Hawk's place at weak-side linebacker.

Free agent Josh Bourke, who looked better in the OTAs than draft pick Tony Moll, is continuing to practice at left tackle. Moll is at right tackle. ... With Adrian Klemm back from an off-season injury, William Whitticker is working with the second unit at right tackle.

Safety Nick Collins stripped rookie wide receiver Cory Rodgers of a catch in a one-on-one pass coverage drill. ... Aaron Rodgers had a pass tipped at the line by Barnett. ... Cornerback Jerron Wishom was penalized for pass interference on a deep ball to Driver. ... Dendy intercepted a Rodgers' pass just prior to suffering his injury. It was the only pick of the day. ... Manning dropped an interception on a Favre pass.

Free-agent receiver Calvin Russell showed flashes. He beat Dendy deep to catch a nice throw from Rodgers in 7-on-7. He also caught a deep ball from Favre and an out in a one-on-one drill vs. cornerbacks.

ON THIS DAY

July 29, 1968 - Quarterback Don Horn, one of the Packers' first-round draft picks in 1967, was called into the Army for six months. Horn, who had sparkled in the Packers' annual intra-squad game four days earlier, left immediately for Fort Campbell, Ky. "The whole season's shot as far as me playing ball is concerned," said Horn, who was in the Army reserves.

SATURDAY SCHEDULE

The Packers will hold one practice at 2 p.m. The players will wear pads.

Partial
07-28-2006, 11:09 PM
Thanks!

OKC PackerFan
07-28-2006, 11:23 PM
On the thumbs up part, it looks like defensive tackle Kenderick Allen may be a gem in the rough. 4 lbs under his weight and playing hard.

Partial
07-28-2006, 11:30 PM
I do like hearing about the Dline. I think we have a very good coordinator and position coach in terms of coaching the DL. Those two did a great job together last. Hopefully this year they can take it to an even higher level.

GrnBay007
07-28-2006, 11:43 PM
007.... sure!! Why stop at 3 though? :wink:

just concerned about me and my own. lol :razz:

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 11:44 PM

i sense an ass kicking if you don't hush it! one person having an obsessive compusion about it on here is enough! :razz:

GrnBay007
07-28-2006, 11:46 PM
GBM, unfortunately Joe jumped on the bus. ....we have 2 of them now!! :shock:

HarveyWallbangers
07-29-2006, 12:03 AM
Some Notes from Bob McGinn

Wide receiver Robert Ferguson said he suffered a strained thigh in June but was 100% now and expected to practice this afternoon.

Running back Najeh Davenport (ankle) checked in at 250 pounds, practiced and drew praise from McCarthy.

Club officials estimated the crowd at about 4,500 for the night practice.

Quarterback Brett Favre was withheld from a series of eight 100-yard sprints Friday morning in the Hutson Center that McCarthy used to determine the conditioning of the players.

"He's had some problems with his ankles and we thought, hey, what's it going to prove?" strength coach Rock Gullickson said. "He was 219 (pounds) and looked really good.

"He's got that country strength from working outside a lot. For his age, absolutely he's got good strength. But he'll be a concern we'll watch real closely over the course of the season."

Wide receivers and defensive backs had to run their 100s in less than 14 seconds, the offensive and defensive linemen had to run in less than 18 seconds and everybody else had to run less than 16 seconds. There was a 30-second rest between sprints. Just one player failed to make the grade but Gullickson said a back injury was a contributing factor.

Tackle Will Whitticker took a major step toward making the team by reporting at his prescribed weight of 322 pounds, or 14 fewer than he was about a month ago. He has been working out with soccer and field-hockey players in the heat of St. Louis.

"I said, '"Whit," you look awesome,'" Gullickson said. "He's really done a good job."

The top four participants in the off-season lifting program, according to Gullickson, were running back Samkon Gado and Poppinga, both of whom attended all 52 sessions, and defensive end Aaron Kampman and center Scott Wells.

Bretsky
07-29-2006, 01:02 AM

i sense an ass kicking if you don't hush it! one person having an obsessive compusion about it on here is enough! :razz:

Yes, you better tame that 007 Down GBM :wink:

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Great reporting GBMichele.

Jon Ryan Ehh ! :mrgreen:

Just now, downloading your video.

Thanks so much.

GO PACKERS !

Tarlam!
07-29-2006, 04:27 AM
GBM, unfortunately Joe jumped on the bus. ....we have 2 of them now!! :shock:

No, that would be 3.... :oops:

Great pics GBM, thanks!!!

GBRulz
07-29-2006, 08:09 AM
Hiya Tarlem!! How are ya? Miss you around here....hope things are going well for you :D

GBRulz
07-29-2006, 08:23 AM
Some Notes from Bob McGinn

Quote:
Club officials estimated the crowd at about 4,500 for the night practice.
[/quote]

No wonder I couldn't get anywhere near the fence, except way down at the other end by the punters. The average crowd is normally 1500-2000.

Mini-camps boast about 200 at best. Which is the best for getting the best hindsight into what's really going on.... :twisted:

RIPackerFan
07-29-2006, 09:27 AM
Thanks to Michelle and everyone for the pictures and on the field reports. It warms a New Englander's heart to get some news and pictures from a different source than just the normal media channels.

pbmax
07-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Apologies for jumping into the middle of this thread, but the following made me happier than anything Packer related has since Sherman developed his monster running game circa 2002.

Camp report, July 28
THUMBS UP

Desperate for a dominant defensive lineman, the Packers have clung to the hope in the recent past that they could coax at least one last hurrah out of a string of broken down, out-of-gas veterans who more often than not brought little more than name recognition to the roster.

Thus, from a prematurely descending and overweight Gilbert Brown to a dispassionate Joe Johnson to an indolent Cletidus Hunt to an aging and overweight Grady Jackson, the Packers have tolerated this parade of teases summer after summer. The Packers put up with them even though they all seemed bent on avoiding as much work as possible in training camp.

A year ago, when new defensive line coaches Bob Sanders and Robert Nunn introduced a series of demanding drills at the start of most practices, Jackson and Hunt stood in shorts and observed without ever a hint that they were chomping at the bit to join the action.

On Friday night, the first night of training camp 2006, there were 14 defensive linemen on hand and every one participated in the up-tempo drills now being directed by Nunn and his new fellow defensive line coach, Carl Hairston. Not only did all 14 linemen participate, they all survived without their tongues hanging out. It only makes sense that if the Packers are going to make use of the drills that they have linemen who are able to handle them.

Perhaps the best news of all was that defensive tackle Kenderick Allen reported at 321, four pounds under his prescribed weight and 20 less than he weighed at the first mini-camp. Allen also impressed by winning all three of his battles in the one-on-one pass rush drill.
Now it could all come to naught if they can't improve the pass rush or run D, but shouldn't this be the way you run a position? The coach acn't control the talent, but you can maximize what you've got. A good example of finding the right players for a scheme. Hopefully, a monster talent finds his way here during Nunn/Sanders/Hairston's tenure.

BallHawk
07-29-2006, 10:07 AM
I think either Cullen Jenkins or Kendrick is gonna have a big year this year. I just don't know which one. If I had to choose I'd say Cullen, but I'm really impressed that Allen has lost his prescribed weight, and than some. We're going to be seeing a better conditioned team on the field this year.

woodbuck27
07-29-2006, 10:56 AM
PRESIDENT JONES BACK AT PRACTICE

John Jones, the Green Bay Packers' president and chief executive officer, was on the practice field Friday night 47 days after undergoing open-heart surgery.
Jones, 54, spent about 45 minutes observing practice alongside club officials and team doctors. The club didn't make Jones available to reporters.

"He's making progress every day," Packers Chairman Bob Harlan said earlier in the week. "It's up to the doctors when he comes back but everything is very positive. I think he's close to a date when he'll come back."

BooHoo
07-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Eargerly awaiting more pics on Monday.

ND72
07-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey...sorry if this was written, but I wanted to mention it if it hasn't (i didn't read this all)...BUT...Najeh Davenport was in full pads, and running all night, mostly with the first team, with Noah Herrion joining in the 1sts, and also running with the 2nds...Samkon getting an occisional carry mostly with the 2nds or 3rds. But Najeh actually looked pretty good. Noah Looked decent as well, and Samkon looked lost everytime he ran it.

KYPack
07-29-2006, 03:35 PM
This is one of my favorite times of the year.

We always get great camp reports.

This time of year, our packer chicks really shine sending all them pictures of the players butts.

It amazes me that the papers will report one thing and OUR camp reporters will have the opposite information.

packrulz
07-29-2006, 04:01 PM
ND72, KYPack,& anyone else interested can sign up for Fantasy Football on the new, more current thread located in the forum index. We got about 38 teams so far, sign up man!