PDA

View Full Version : Matt Roth

Ballboy
11-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Just got released from Miami. Played OLB in a 3-4.

Was a second round pick out of Iowa(?)

Is he worth a look, not only for this year but the future?

Ballboy
11-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Per PFT:

Roth's odyssey ends on the waiver wire
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 24, 2009 5:52 PM ET
Dolphins linebacker Matt Roth's odd journey this season with the Dolphins has concluded in a surprising place: the waiver wire.

Adam Schefter reports the Dolphins waived Roth Tuesday and signed former Lions defensive end
Ikaika Alama-Francis. The Dolphins also picked up defensive back Evan Oglesby.

Roth, a former second-round pick, was a starter for Miami's playoff team last season and generally considered a key part of their defense. But a mysterious injury and some friction with the organization about a possible new contract soured Roth's '09 campaign before it started.

Expect plenty of teams to put in a waiver claim for Roth, especially team that run a 3-4 defense. The 1-9 Browns make for a sensible destination.

ND72
I've read into him a little bit because I liked him at draft time. Everything I read says he is just too much of a 4-3 DE, and just couldn't make that switch to the 3-4 OLB.

Lurker64
He was a big part of the Dolphins defense last year, but he's had a mysterious undisclosed injury, apparently didn't get along well with the Miami coaching staff, and isn't the most stable and sane person. I wouldn't be surprised if we put a waiver claim on him, but lose out to a team with a worse record.

Ballboy
11-24-2009, 07:33 PM
I've read into him a little bit because I liked him at draft time. Everything I read says he is just too much of a 4-3 DE, and just couldn't make that switch to the 3-4 OLB.

Played in 3-4 this year and the two prior.

ND72
11-24-2009, 07:38 PM

Played in 3-4 this year and the two prior.

Yup...Just a few things written on espn (bad source) says he would fit a 4-3 better, but right now he's a 3-4 OLB.

pittstang5
11-24-2009, 08:22 PM

High motor guy that just never quit, if I remember correctly.

Scott Campbell
11-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Any way he makes it to #9 on the waiver wire?

Lurker64
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Any way he makes it to #9 on the waiver wire?

Mangini decides to pass on him because he's "a diva"?

KYPack
11-24-2009, 09:46 PM
This was in the Miami paper a week ago.

Quote on

1. Matt Roth is beginning to make an impact.

As Matt Roth gets more playing time, he's starting to make more of a difference.
Roth played only 14 snaps during Sunday’s win against Tampa Bay. A number of them caught the eye of coach Tony Sparano.

“He was really impressive in some of those plays,” Sparano said. “Not all of them, but some of them.”

Roth had just one tackle, but at 275 pounds offers a physical presence no other Dolphins’ OLB can match.

Even with Joey Porter a no-show much of the season, the Dolphins’ LBs are coming around at the right time.

Channing Crowder had his best game this season (9 solos, 1 sack) after missing two games; Charlie Anderson and Cam Wake rushed well Sunday; and Jason Taylor continues to play at a high level.

Quote off

275? He might just be a tweener. Not a 3-4 or a 4-3 guy, in the middle of both schemes.

Partial
11-24-2009, 10:10 PM
That's a big OLB. Coverage liability most likely if he only runs a 4.8 (per wikipedia). I would love it if no one else put in a claim. Bedard thinks KC or Cleveland will.