PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Stories

Little Whiskey
11-24-2009, 09:58 PM
Just wondering how the other hunters did this year. Our camp was low on guys but High on deer. we had 4 guys and had 4 deer hanging.

a spike, a doe, an 8pnt, and 10pnt.

the oldest guy in camp shot the spike and it was his first deer in almost 9years.

I shot the 10point and his girlfriend on the second day of camp.

the camp rook didn't see anything the first day and 1/2 so i gave my spot to him and he took the 8point from my spot.

This is the first year my father-in-law was skunked. He had a long, questionable shot, on a doe the last day so he passed.

We hunt in the U.P. just north of Iron Mountain, Hard woods and ceder swamps. This is one of the best years we've had. the deer are not corn fed record breakers, but big deer for the Woods that we hunt in the UP.

I know everyone talked about how the warm weather slowed the deer movement, but i thought it made it easier to stay out all day. You never shoot anything laying in your bunk.

I'm just sad, that i'm out of tags. No more hunting for me.

Brando19
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Great thread!

My family and I (me, my dad, my two uncles, my cousin and my grandpa) have been going to the same place for the past 25 years (i've been going for about 10 years). We always stay in a camper in the camp ground, but we sold our camper so we had to stay in a hotel this year. We hunt in Central West Virginia.

Opening day for rifle season was this past Monday. At about 8:30 am...I seen two Coyotes heading toward me...they must have winded me because they immediately turned and started yelping. 11:15 am I spotted a buck heading out the ridge, he turned and walked right in front of me about 45 yards with his head down. He was in full rut. I shot him and he did about 4 flips down to the creek. He's a 7 point...should be an 8 but it looks like he broke it off fighting with another buck. I had to drag him straight up hill about 100 yards. I was hating life at that point. After the uphill drag...it was smooth sailing down hill about 1/2 mile to my truck.

One of my uncles killed a huge 9 point. I came home yesterday because I didn't buy my extra stamp. :( But at least I get some deer meat this year.

Little Whiskey
11-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Great story Brando. I'd really like to get a coyote, even though i believe they shut down varmint season (coyote season) during the deer rifle season, I would've been hard pressed not to take one of those coyotes.

I just dropped the head off to be mounted. Its not a large rack 13" spread, but it the most points that camp has ever gotten, me too for that matter. that makes it a wall hanger.

I hunt with my father-in-law, his father-in-law's best friend, the best friends son-in-law, a cousin and now the rook. (is that confusing?) the old man 87 hunted with my wife's grandpa in the same area since '49. We stay in the woods we hunt. Pack a tent and only leave camp to get beer, or watch the packer game.

We have a canvas wall tent with the cook shack addition. If you get Field n Stream, two months ago they did a feature on hunting camps. the one from elk camp out west looks just like our camp setup. (the article also included deer camp from the U.P.) I don't think i'd go to a camp any other way. Its nice to disconnect for a week.

Brando19
11-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Great story Brando. I'd really like to get a coyote, even though i believe they shut down varmint season (coyote season) during the deer rifle season, I would've been hard pressed not to take one of those coyotes.

I just dropped the head off to be mounted. Its not a large rack 13" spread, but it the most points that camp has ever gotten, me too for that matter. that makes it a wall hanger.

I hunt with my father-in-law, his father-in-law's best friend, the best friends son-in-law, a cousin and now the rook. (is that confusing?) the old man 87 hunted with my wife's grandpa in the same area since '49. We stay in the woods we hunt. Pack a tent and only leave camp to get beer, or watch the packer game.

We have a canvas wall tent with the cook shack addition. If you get Field n Stream, two months ago they did a feature on hunting camps. the one from elk camp out west looks just like our camp setup. (the article also included deer camp from the U.P.) I don't think i'd go to a camp any other way. Its nice to disconnect for a week.

Very cool and congrats on the big deer. I don't get Field and Stream because I didn't renew my subscription about 6 months ago. I know what you mean about disconnecting for a while. It doesn't get any better than that.

Little Whiskey
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
brando, have you ever shot a ballistic tipped round? A guy at the next camp over shot a medium sized doe with one in a 30-06. the exit wound was the size of a large (sam's club sized) coffee can! he was lucky to miss either of the front shoulders. otherwise he would have been meat-less. definitely 1shot to kill, but a slightly off shot will destroy the venison. I can't imagine what a mess a gut shot would be!

Brando19
11-25-2009, 02:50 PM
brando, have you ever shot a ballistic tipped round? A guy at the next camp over shot a medium sized doe with one in a 30-06. the exit wound was the size of a large (sam's club sized) coffee can! he was lucky to miss either of the front shoulders. otherwise he would have been meat-less. definitely 1shot to kill, but a slightly off shot will destroy the venison. I can't imagine what a mess a gut shot would be!

My cousin uses ballistic tips and has killed one deer with one. He gut shot it and as you could imagine...it was disgusting. I can't bring myself to try ballistic tips.

When I got my deer home, I noticed ticks were really bad. There were 4 crawling around the antlers.

red
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
where were you at whiskey? carney lake area or further north? ralph, felch?

i seems like it was really hit or miss up here this year, i've talked to a lot of guys that didn't see anything

Sparkey
11-26-2009, 01:18 AM
I just returned from the opening weekend, here in WI with my dad. We hunt between Lakewood and Crivitz. Didn't see a damn thing but my dad saw two little does. Weather was warm, but it was so damned foggy on Sunday and Monday that it was hard too see very far.

Each of the past three years has gotten worse by our area. It is to the point I don't even expect too see much of anything. Now, if I were squirrel hunting, I'd have 13 of the tree rats! :lol:

Someone mentioned ticks. They are terrible, even now. Back mid October I was up grouse hunting and in two days we picked over 100 ticks off the Weimaraner and Brittany. Pushed close to 60 birds this fall on my three trips. Would hav ebeen better off leaving the Mark X in the case and pulling out my O/U and went bird hunting. :wink:

digitaldean
11-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Sparkey,

My sister lives in the Lakewood/Townsend area. She only saw one large doe, but their hunting area was a buck only area. Other than that, out of 9 people in their hunting party only 1 buck - a 10 pointer.

Little Whiskey
11-28-2009, 11:19 PM
where were you at whiskey? carney lake area or further north? ralph, felch?

i seems like it was really hit or miss up here this year, i've talked to a lot of guys that didn't see anything

Red, We are just out side of feltch. Its funny talking to someone who knows were that it. always make at least one trip into Solbergs and stare at the tirdy pointer! oh ya, and watch packer games.

Little Whiskey
11-28-2009, 11:21 PM
finished packing all the meat today. kind of a thanksgiving tradition. grind burger, slice steaks and roast, then vacuum seal it all. long day, but i control the quality.

Sparkey
12-02-2009, 09:02 AM
Sparkey,

My sister lives in the Lakewood/Townsend area. She only saw one large doe, but their hunting area was a buck only area. Other than that, out of 9 people in their hunting party only 1 buck - a 10 pointer.

Too many predators. Bear, Wolves, Coyotes and the worst predator of all, humans. Can't believe the DNR is going to propose a 16 day hunting season next year. Ever since they made the DNR Secretary a governor appointed position, some poor decisions have been made in this state.

BTW, used to go fishing on Wheeler lake many years ago. Still golf up at McCauslin every year.

swede
12-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Sparkey,

Too many predators. Bear, Wolves, Coyotes and the worst predator of all, humans. Can't believe the DNR is going to propose a 16 day hunting season next year. Ever since they made the DNR Secretary a governor appointed position, some poor decisions have been made in this state.

BTW, used to go fishing on Wheeler lake many years ago. Still golf up at McCauslin every year.

Is this problem caused by the whitetail deer shifting its population to urban and suburban areas where hunting is not allowed?

When I was a kid a deer in the city would freak and jump through windows. Now my parents live five blocks from the nearest parkland and have little spotted fawns resting between their house and the neighbor's garage.

My own gardens are hit hard by the local deer, and I'm two miles from the nearest spot a hunter could legally use a shotgun.

MadScientist
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Sparkey,

Is this problem caused by the whitetail deer shifting its population to urban and suburban areas where hunting is not allowed?

When I was a kid a deer in the city would freak and jump through windows. Now my parents live five blocks from the nearest parkland and have little spotted fawns resting between their house and the neighbor's garage.

My own gardens are hit hard by the local deer, and I'm two miles from the nearest spot a hunter could legally use a shotgun.

I don't think there are enough deer in urban areas to account for the missing deer in the rural areas. There just aren't as many deer. The DNR is over stating the numbers so that people keep buying licenses. If deer really were hiding in urban areas, the DNR could always institute a 'Beater Deer Hunting Season' :lol:

MJZiggy
12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
We have plenty here, but if I issued deer licenses and people started shooting, I think the neighbors would be pissed.

Iron Mike
12-02-2009, 07:29 PM

Isn't McCaslin where there's an airplane landing strip as part of the golf course, and one of the first few holes you can take a shot downhill at hitting a greenhouse??

All I remember is eating fish here on Friday:

http://hillcrest-lodge.com

Sparkey
12-02-2009, 10:36 PM

Isn't McCaslin where there's an airplane landing strip as part of the golf course, and one of the first few holes you can take a shot downhill at hitting a greenhouse??

All I remember is eating fish here on Friday:

http://hillcrest-lodge.com

Townsend Flowage is beautiful. Looked at a place on the south east part of the flowage a few yers ago.

Yeah, there is a runway that cuts through the back 9. My uncle used to fly up with his buddies golfing on fridays. Also correct, front nine, I beileive hole 3 is an elevated tee to a green that has McCauslin Creek wind around the east side of the hole and the green house is just east a bit further on the opposite side of the water.

Ever stop at Golden Eagle Pizzeria ? Some darn good pizza's there.

pasquale
12-02-2009, 11:58 PM
Shot a 9 Pointer, 145 dressed @ 80 yards while he was trotting through hardwoods.

.30-06 took it down, one shot through the heart. Tracked him about 60 yards.

I'd add more detail but I'm dead tired.

Brando19
12-03-2009, 03:25 PM
Shot a 9 Pointer, 145 dressed @ 80 yards while he was trotting through hardwoods.

Congrats! Gonna get him mounted?

Sparkey
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM

What's the inside spread ? Any pics for us too drool over ?

Sparkey
12-03-2009, 04:15 PM
We have plenty here, but if I issued deer licenses and people started shooting, I think the neighbors would be pissed.

Thats where crossbows come in handy. Nice and quiet!

Little Whiskey
12-03-2009, 06:54 PM

Nice shot. very impressed that you put one thru the hart while he was on a trot.

Both deer that i shot were on the move. I shot the buck while he was chasing the doe and she turned around and came back so she got the second round. I grunted to try and stop them but he would have none of that. only one thing on his mind. Both were shot thru the spine. He was hit in the upper back and the bullet clipped his liver. Dropped immediately. However, the doe was hit in the lower spine and took a finishing shot. (this is the first time i've had to shoot a deer more than once, i kicked my self for not placing a better shot, but was caught up in the heat of the moment.) I didn't have to look at all for them. I hunt from a tree stand that is about 15ft up and the shot was about 75 yards on the ground. It was a pain in the ass hauling those two out of the woods.

the 10pointer is the biggest deer (rack) that camp has gotten. Its at the taxidermist as i type. however, I don't expect it back for some time.

Brando19
12-04-2009, 08:16 PM

Nice shot. very impressed that you put one thru the hart while he was on a trot.

Both deer that i shot were on the move. I shot the buck while he was chasing the doe and she turned around and came back so she got the second round. I grunted to try and stop them but he would have none of that. only one thing on his mind. Both were shot thru the spine. He was hit in the upper back and the bullet clipped his liver. Dropped immediately. However, the doe was hit in the lower spine and took a finishing shot. (this is the first time i've had to shoot a deer more than once, i kicked my self for not placing a better shot, but was caught up in the heat of the moment.) I didn't have to look at all for them. I hunt from a tree stand that is about 15ft up and the shot was about 75 yards on the ground. It was a pain in the ass hauling those two out of the woods.

the 10pointer is the biggest deer (rack) that camp has gotten. Its at the taxidermist as i type. however, I don't expect it back for some time.

I'd love to see some pics of that 10 point when you get some. Did you have a deer hauler or did you have to drag their heavy asses out of the woods?

pasquale
12-05-2009, 12:06 AM

Thanks, it was a damn tough shot, I actually thought I missed because I didn't see him after he took off into the thick stuff. Couldn't see if he was dragging or staggering. But one look at the entry ground and there was the easiest track I've ever seen. Blood everywhere.

I'll see what I can do with pics. His right side is all messed up from fights, most of it was broke. His left is a nice 5. Would have be a really nice deer if he stayed out of trouble. If the right wasn't broken, it'd be a decent European mount.

Little Whiskey
12-06-2009, 09:19 AM
I'm not very good with posting pictures from the internet, let alone putting personal pictures on.

I read an article in an outdoor magazine that says that most antler breakage comes while they are still in velvet and not due to fighting. also, they are the fastest growing tissue in the animal kingdom. up to 1/2" per day. interesting. I'd still mount what you have left. makes for a good story and somthing to remmber your hunt with. I always keep all the antlers from my old deer.

We pulled my deer out on a cart. I hunt on top of a steep ridge that overlooks a clear cut full of aspen/poplar trees. luckily our cart's wheels are on a very high negative camber. it won't tip over very easy. but still a pain in the ass to get over the stumps, rocks, and downed trees.

Sparkey
12-06-2009, 01:28 PM
You can tell by how the break off looks to determine when it happened. If it has smooth rounded edges, and is sort of soft bumpy, then it happened early in velvet while the antlers were still growing.