PDA

View Full Version : Now Who Would You Extend?

Fritz
11-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Before the season began, there was talk raging on Packerrats about which soon-to-be restricted and unrestricted Packer free agents to extend. The candidates I remember being mentioned most were Kampman, Colledge, Spitz, Collins, and Pickett. Blackmon got a mention or two. Maybe There were others.

At that time, I think I listed Colledge, Collins, Kampman, Pickett and Spitz as players I wanted to see extended - at least them and Blackmon, perhaps.

Doh!

Now out of that bunch, Collins and Pickett are the only ones who have really played at a level that would warrant a big contract extension. I thought Kampman would adapt quickly to the linebacker spot and excel, but he appeared to be uncomfortable when I watched him. Now, of course, he's hurt. Imagine if the Pack had signed him up to a big extension? Colledge has been spottier than a woman during a full moon, Spitz was only okay before he got hurt, and Blackmon, well, he's hurt - again.

Good thing I'm not the GM. We'd be stuck with Colledge at a high price, Kampman probably too, Spitz as well and maybe even Blackmon. Our cap would be stuffed, and the only two worth such large extensions would've been Pickett and Collins.

So...in hindsight, what pre-season moves did you say you wanted, and how would they have been working out so far?

HarveyWallbangers
11-25-2009, 01:02 PM
Collins is about the only guy I'd really hate to lose. I think Pickett deserves an extension that's similar in money to what he's making now (nothing to over the top).

Fritz
11-25-2009, 01:08 PM
I do like the idea of a deep, rotating defensive line.

Eww, that was vaguely sexual. Sorry.

Lurker64
11-25-2009, 01:12 PM
First priority: Collins (though he probably gets tagged). Second Priority: Pickett, because Raji isn't an NT yet. We can probably afford to lose either Spitz or Colledge, but you have to keep one of them. Kampman will probably sign for a one year deal laden with incentives, as is common for players whose FA years are marred by major injury. Blackmon is probably done in the NFL. Am I forgetting anybody?

Partial
11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Pickett and Collins 1a 1b. These are two must-resign guys.

hoosier
11-25-2009, 02:05 PM
First priority: Collins (though he probably gets tagged). Second Priority: Pickett, because Raji isn't an NT yet. We can probably afford to lose either Spitz or Colledge, but you have to keep one of them. Kampman will probably sign for a one year deal laden with incentives, as is common for players whose FA years are marred by major injury. Blackmon is probably done in the NFL. Am I forgetting anybody?

I can't see Kampman signing a one-year, incentive-based contract with GB. If he didn't become comfortable in the 3-4 after half a season there's no way he's going to have any confidence in his ability to rehab himself and then somehow find his way into a more productive role in Capers scheme. I think Kampman forces GB to put one of the tags on him or he signs an incentive based short deal with someone else. Hopefully not in the NFCN.

Brando19
11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Collins because our Safety depth sucks. But Pickett would be a close second. I'm a big Pickett fan. I would Franchise Kampman and trade him.

Guiness
11-25-2009, 03:03 PM
No love for Spitz here?

I think he should get re-signed, and will likely take over at center next year.

Fritz
11-25-2009, 03:05 PM
Okay, so the consensus at this point seems to be:

1. Collins
2. Pickett
3. Spitz

Sounds like people are hoping Kampman can be traded and that Colledge can be signed to a short cheap deal.

Colledge - That dude is playing himself out of what could have been a nice contract for an NFL guard.

DonHutson
11-25-2009, 03:18 PM
I do like the idea of a deep, rotating defensive line.

Eww, that was vaguely sexual. Sorry.

But is that an idea you can get behind?

DonHutson
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
This came up in another thread, but isn't Jolly a free agent as well?

On the field, he's right up there with Collins and Pickett. The only question is how much of a headcase the team thinks he is.

I guess if they don't want Jolly, they can try the franchise and trade approach since they probably won't be doing that with Kampman now.

SkinBasket
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Green Bay Packers

Potential UFAs: OLB Brandon Chillar, OT Chad Clifton, RB Ahman Green, OLB Aaron Kampman, DT Ryan Pickett, OT Mark Tauscher.

Potential RFAs: S Atari Bigby*, CB-RS Will *Blackmon*, OG Daryn Colledge*, S Nick Collins*, FB John Kuhn*, CB Derrick Martin*, C Jason Spitz*, CB Tramon Williams, RB DeShawn Wynn.

Analysis: Very much in a wait-and-see mode regarding most of the players on the current roster, the Packers no doubt like the fact that an uncapped scenario restricts the maneuverability of players such as Nick Collins, Atari Bigby, Jason Spitz, Will Blackmon and Daryn Colledge, all of whom would have been totally free to test the waters under the old system. As it is, Packers GM Ted Thompson can buy some time in making decisions about the aforementioned group, with Collins, a Pro Bowler, appearing to be the only surefire keeper. That is, of course, if Thompson is still around, as uncertainty in the organization further clouds any free-agent game plans. Among the team's UFAs, Ryan Pickett and Chad Clifton, if he can stay healthy, are more likely to return than not. Same goes for * Brandon Chillar, who has proven to be a good fit in Dom Capers' 3-4 scheme, and *Tramon Williams, a quality No. 3 corner. As for Aaron Kampman — who excelled as a pass-rushing end in the Packers' 4-3 scheme but has been slow to develop as a left outside linebacker in the 3-4 — the verdict remains out.

One note:

Players who have an asterisk (*) following their names are fourth- or fifth-year players who would be unrestricted free agents if a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is reached prior to March. If not, the NFL will go into an uncapped season, and those players will become restricted free agents.

SkinBasket
11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
So a new CBA would have us see 13 UFAs. Out of those the obvious concerns are Collins and Pickett, then Colledge and Spitz. The rest can/should be replaced. I could see them bringing back the human tackling dummy assuming interest in oft injured, slow, technique poor safeties doesn't skyrocket this offseason, but obviously an upgrade there would be wonderful.

The rest don't concern me. It's time to move on from Clifton. Kampman's going to find somewhere better to play and wasn't making irreplaceable contributions to the defense as it was. The others don't matter much.

red
11-25-2009, 04:42 PM
collins is #1, with pickett right behind him

i'd also keep spitz, i like him at center better then wells

that is all

Fritz
11-25-2009, 06:28 PM
So a new CBA would have us see 13 UFAs. Out of those the obvious concerns are Collins and Pickett, then Colledge and Spitz. The rest can/should be replaced. I could see them bringing back the human tackling dummy assuming interest in oft injured, slow, technique poor safeties doesn't skyrocket this offseason, but obviously an upgrade there would be wonderful.

The rest don't concern me. It's time to move on from Clifton. Kampman's going to find somewhere better to play and wasn't making irreplaceable contributions to the defense as it was. The others don't matter much.

Ideally, I'd like to see them re-up Clifton for another year and draft a left tackle who could then learn for a year.

Collins, for sure, re-sign, and Pickett. Colledge - can he be had at a more reasonable price, now that he's sucked for over half a season? And Spitz, perhaps a one year deal? And Kampman - it'd be nice to get something for the guy, if he's going to go.

SnakeLH2006
11-26-2009, 01:27 AM
Collins in a heartbeat. Personally, I felt we had to wait on Collins this offseason, but he really looks the gamer/ability/and young.

Pickett is old and replaceable with BJ, and has declined since 3 years ago yearly.

Kampy is hurt and 30 and out of place anyway (still would like to resign him reasonably though, bulk him back up and put him back at DE at 285).

Colledge is good for getting Mike sandwiches during meetings.

MichiganPackerFan
11-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Pickett appears to be having one of his best seasons, but Collins is a special player. THey need to keep them both and spitz as well.

Partial
11-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Pickett appears to be having one of his best seasons, but Collins is a special player. THey need to keep them both and spitz as well.

This is right on the money. Cannot let any of those three guys go without taking a huge a step back.

wist43
11-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Wow... 19 of 21 for Collins. We have spoken I guess :)

Pickett is getting long in the tooth, but he's a fat guy, so as long as he can clog the middle, he'll be servicable.

Don't know if they'll sign Colledge or not... he's wildly inconsistent.

Lurker64
11-27-2009, 07:15 PM
Pickett is getting long in the tooth, but he's a fat guy, so as long as he can clog the middle, he'll be servicable.

He also is playing a lot fewer snaps since we hired Capers, considering that he never plays in the Nickel (as we went to a 2-4-5 in the nickel, or a 3-3-5 with Kampman's hand down). Big NTs tend to have long careers when their snaps are limited to either base or situational packages, and they're not expected to play the whole game; I mean... Pat Williams is 37 years old.

esoxx
11-27-2009, 11:02 PM
Whoever voted for Colledge should be castrated.

Checking results....

Carry on.

SnakeLH2006
11-28-2009, 12:52 AM

Checking results....

Carry on.

That's just good stuff there, esoxx. :lol:

Pugger
11-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I hope they tag Kampy and get something for him. Its a shame he got hurt for both him AND us. If he hadn't got injured he'd be a hell of lot more attractive to prospective teams than he is now. :(

TennesseePackerBacker
11-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I hope they tag Kampy and get something for him. Its a shame he got hurt for both him AND us. If he hadn't got injured he'd be a hell of lot more attractive to prospective teams than he is now. :(

Coming off a major knee injury his value will probably plummet. We were looking at a possible late 1st to 2nd rounder and a late pick. Now I'd say 4th at best.

Think of the risk we'd be taking if the market wasn't there for Kampy and we franchised him anyway.

Brohm
11-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Collins, yesterday.

retailguy
11-28-2009, 05:23 PM

that option is gone, since the knee injury. we'll either resign him, or likely get nothing...

Brohm
11-28-2009, 05:24 PM
If we tag Kampy and noone bites, isn't it along the lines of 9 milllion?

retailguy
11-28-2009, 05:39 PM

It depends on whether or not they tag him as a linebacker or not. If he fights that (more lucrative to be tagged as a DE), then it could be higher.

Point is that no one is likely to take the risk of recovery along with a big contract. Tagging him is most likely out of the question as there is too much risk involved.

Smidgeon
11-28-2009, 06:52 PM

It depends on whether or not they tag him as a linebacker or not. If he fights that (more lucrative to be tagged as a DE), then it could be higher.

Point is that no one is likely to take the risk of recovery along with a big contract. Tagging him is most likely out of the question as there is too much risk involved.

I'm pretty sure there's a pass rushing OLB/DE tag out there.

But to Brohm's point, the tag can be rescinded by the team at any time if Kampman hasn't signed yet.

retailguy
11-28-2009, 08:55 PM

But to Brohm's point, the tag can be rescinded by the team at any time if Kampman hasn't signed yet.

I think if you're Kampman, you sign that tag on day 1 under the circumstances. The Packers can still trade him, (if they have any offers), but the tag amount is guaranteed. That's the risk, and it's a big one.

Also, the tag for OLB's is a lot less than DE's. That was my point. 9mil is probably the lowest amount. DE's are probably around 14mil.

Smidgeon
11-28-2009, 09:54 PM

I think if you're Kampman, you sign that tag on day 1 under the circumstances. The Packers can still trade him, (if they have any offers), but the tag amount is guaranteed. That's the risk, and it's a big one.

Also, the tag for OLB's is a lot less than DE's. That was my point. 9mil is probably the lowest amount. DE's are probably around 14mil.

I think there's a special category that includes pass rushing DEs which would decrease the non-pass rushing DE tag amount.

MJZiggy
11-28-2009, 09:59 PM

Checking results....

Carry on.

OK, Who chose Colledge just to screw with this post???? lol

pbmax
11-28-2009, 10:05 PM

that option is gone, since the knee injury. we'll either resign him, or likely get nothing...
Guys off ACL repairs have signed unrestricted free agent deals before, the Eagles did one with the guy who was supposed to be their RT this year. It would be unusual, but not impossible to tag and trade.

retailguy
11-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Guys off ACL repairs have signed unrestricted free agent deals before, the Eagles did one with the guy who was supposed to be their RT this year. It would be unusual, but not impossible to tag and trade.

I wasn't talking "possible", I was talking "likely". It is possible, but isn't likely b/c of the risk.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 12:26 AM
It's highly doubtful Kampy gets tagged. You don't tag injured players (esp. in Kampy's situation...30 years old, and didn't deserve the tag money this year at OLB anyway).

More likely is a Taucher type deal for Kampman. 1 year deal to get back on the field and demonstrate previous ability after recovery, and hopefully secure a long-term money deal after 2010. Albeit, Kampy has more to bring than an old Tauscher, so a 1 year deal to return to GB for $3 million (with several million in incentives) wouldn't shock me at all.