PDA

View Full Version : Packers' Williams unfazed by promotion

SnakeLH2006
11-26-2009, 02:42 AM
http://www.lacrossetribune.com/sports/article_084d3f32-da33-11de-bc78-001cc4c03286.html

DETROIT - If Tramon Williams doesn't seem fazed by what's ahead of him, it's because the Green Bay Packers cornerback has been through it before.

When Al Harris suffered a lacerated spleen early last season, Williams went from nickel back to starting cornerback. When injuries forced Charles Woodson to temporarily move to strong safety late in the season, Williams shifted into the starting lineup.

So Williams - as well as pretty much everyone else connected with the Packers - isn't making too big of a deal of the fact he'll be starting opposite Woodson with Harris done for the season with a knee injury.

"I don't see this as a new opportunity presenting itself," the 26-year-old Williams said. "I feel that I've been there already, and I'm just ready to just step in and just play that role again."

No, Williams doesn't rank very high on the Packers' list of concerns entering today's game against the Detroit Lions at Ford Field, even though the former practice squad player could see time against Calvin Johnson if the talented receiver is able to play through hand and knee injuries.

Green Bay has used its nickel and dime packages so frequently this season under defensive coordinator Dom Capers that Williams has played more than half of the snaps. He has made four starts when the Packers have opened in the nickel, and leads the team with 12 passes defended.

When Green Bay's defensive starters are announced at home games, Williams is introduced along with the usual starting 11.

"Tramon, we see him as a starter anyway," cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. said. "When we announce the defense, he goes out there, he is a starter. If he was on any other team, probably 30 of the other teams, he would be a starter. So it's a seamless transition with him."

Follow the path

This isn't the way Williams would like to move into the starting lineup.

He said Harris was one of the first players to reach out to him when he signed with the Packers' practice squad nearly three years ago to the day. The two got to know each other while matched up head-to-head in practice - Harris at cornerback and Williams at wide receiver on the scout team.

Harris knew the path his young teammate was taking: He spent his rookie season on Tampa Bay's practice squad before signing with Philadelphia the next year and quickly establishing himself as one of the league's best nickel backs.

"He reached out and just let me know the ropes of the NFL, what to do, just gave me some guidance," said Williams, who wasn't drafted and was released by Houston after training camp in 2006.

Williams beat the odds to make the Packers' roster in 2007, eventually taking over the nickel back job. He's steadily continued his quick ascension over the past season-and-a-half.

"Every year you come into, you always got something different to work on," Williams said. "Last year, I felt I just had to come in and just establish myself a little bit. I felt that I did that a little bit, but I still had things to work on. I made plays, but I also gave up some last year.

"And this year, I wanted to come in and just limit those big plays that I gave up, and at the same time still play with my confidence and my aggression that I did. I think I've learned from that, haven't given up many big plays this year at all."

Last year, Williams had three of his five interceptions during the four games he started in place of Harris. He believes he's improved since then in part because of the experience he earned playing against opposing teams' top receivers.

"I think Tramon played well," Whitt said. "He gave up some things, but he played solid. He's playing better this year, and I think that the sky is the limit for him. He's an ascending player. So I'm pleased with where he is and where he's progressing to."

Next man in

Replacing Harris with Williams may not be a source of concern. But there's a trickle-down effect that will require some shuffling on the depth chart.

Jarrett Bush had been playing in the dime package, and figures to slide into Williams' spot in the nickel. Rookie Brandon Underwood saw time in the dime slot after Harris' injury last week. Beyond that, the Packers have two freshly signed players: former Denver Bronco Josh Bell and Trevor Ford, who was promoted from the practice squad.

"There's always drop-offs," Whitt said. "But it gives Bush an opportunity to go up there, it gives Tramon, it gives Underwood a chance to play. You don't know how good they can be until they get an opportunity. Nobody knew what Tom Brady was until he got an opportunity. Nobody knows what a guy can do until he gets a chance."

The presence of two cornerbacks the caliber of Harris and Williams also allowed Capers to move Woodson all around the field - though Capers maintained he'll still be able to do that.

"I don't know that it'll really affect Charles," Capers said. "We're going to continue to try to utilize Charles' skills. ... Charles will still be a big factor for us. Will we use him differently? I think you'll see him do different things."

Then there's the question of how fielding a weakened secondary will impact the Packers' overall defensive approach - one that seemed to be more aggressive over the past two games.

"You've got a philosophy. You want to stay with that philosophy," Capers said. "Now, I'd be foolish to say that it doesn't influence (it) a little bit, because you're talking about a lot of experience (lost). But you've got to evaluate every week, what do you think it's going to take to go out and win the game this week? We've got to go out and do the things that it's going to take to win the game on Thursday coming off of a short week and getting some new guys ready to play."

At least they don't need to worry about Williams.

"I want to go in there and not miss a beat," he said. "That's basically what you always look for when you've got a backup guy coming in, try to see if they're going to come in and not miss a beat like a starter did. So that's basically what I'm going to go out there and try to do."

__________________________________________________ ______-

Snake always liked this young cat Tramon....Glad he's got a chance to showcase some skills (albeit at Al Harris' expense, but it was gonna happen at some point). As much as I like me some Al, he's 35 next year, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise so we can see what Tramon has to offer before he goes UFA. I wish the best to Al, but I see TWill doing similar things (maybe not as stout on man-to-man, but better in space with picks). Much luck young buck.

As far as the poll...it was bound to happen, and Tramon is real Packer peeps....and has talent/speed to burn. Even if Al came back in 2010, I felt Tramon would push him for a starting spot at CB.....at least now he gets some starting experience to see where he's at. I've been happy with Al, but this side of Darrell Green, CB's fade bad (Ty Law, etc.) at that age/speed. This might be blessing in disguise as I feel TWill is a starting caliber/and very good CB in 2010, thus, my pick.

I'm not worried about TWill as a starter, so much as, I'm worried with the nickel/dime packages that showcase Jarrett Bush. :shock: Now that shit scares me.

Bretsky
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
Out with the old; in with the new

Except the old is better than the new when healthy
And Al makes plays...when QB's throw his way

Healthy, he's beter than Williams

sharpe1027
11-26-2009, 09:54 AM
It wouldn't let me click both options, so I didn't vote.

I don't see why it necessarily is a one-or-the other option. Play 'em both. Keep T. Will as starter as Al gets himself back into game-form, then make a call. Doesn't really make much difference who they pick as the "official" starter.

Gunakor
11-27-2009, 12:03 AM
As often as the Pack plays in nickel, I look at it from a different perspective. If we don't draft/sign a better nickel back than Jarrett Bush then it makes no sense dumping Al and moving Tramon into a starting role. We need at least 3 solid corners. We don't have 2 behind Al, so if he's healthy we can't let him go.

SnakeLH2006
11-27-2009, 01:09 AM
All eyes were on Woodson today obviously, but Tramon played very well, and got an INT as well. Even Bush got his hands on the ball (botching an easy INT). I wouldn't mind Tramon as a long term starting CB, though, even over Al next year. That might save wear and tear on the old man.

denverYooper
11-27-2009, 08:22 AM
All eyes were on Woodson today obviously, but Tramon played very well, and got an INT as well. Even Bush got his hands on the ball (botching an easy INT). I wouldn't mind Tramon as a long term starting CB, though, even over Al next year. That might save wear and tear on the old man.

Bush made a nice little break on that pass. It wasn't a great pass but he showed some recognition and made a break to grab it. IMHO, his coverage is pretty decent these days but he has yet to develop good awareness of the ball in the air. So I thought that him recognizing and making an adjustment (even if slight) to get in front of that ball was a step forward. It's too bad he didn't finish because it would have evened out his one bad play getting beat for 47 by Northcutt.

get louder at lambeau
11-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Al Harris is still playing like a 25 year old. I want him on the field as much as possible, and Tramon can stay at nickel and continue to get better and better.

Fritz
11-27-2009, 12:51 PM
When Harris signed his contract extension a couple years ago, I distinctly remember his agent saying it was with the understanding that Harris would likely be a nickel back in his last year or two.

Hmm.

woodbuck27
11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Al Harris. An unfortunate loss but a chance for Tramon Williams to show what he has.