PDA

View Full Version : More evidence of sloppy writing - Silverstein

Patler
11-27-2009, 01:45 AM
First sentence of his article today:

"For most, several thousands miles and a whole lot of sunshine separate Tampa from Detroit."

Several thousand miles? Between Tampa and Detroit?
Should I even bother to read the rest of the article????

Lurker64
11-27-2009, 01:55 AM
I believe he was planning on getting from Tampa to Detroit by going south from Tampa, which would be about a trip of over 23,000 miles. The man needs to get his frequent flyer miles somehow.

sheepshead
11-27-2009, 07:26 AM
What a dope.

Fritz
11-27-2009, 08:03 AM
While I would like to say that these writers are now under such tight deadlines that it'd be tough to be flawless, I would have to agree given that it's such a simple mistake to catch, being the opening line. And don't copy editors look at the work before it goes out?

mraynrand
11-27-2009, 08:30 AM
First sentence of his article today:

"For most, several thousands miles and a whole lot of sunshine separate Tampa from Detroit."

Several thousand miles? Between Tampa and Detroit?
Should I even bother to read the rest of the article????

Think of it as jazzy excess. Where is Woodson today? East of the Sun, West of the Moon.

Zool
11-27-2009, 09:02 AM
If he were still alive Shel Silverstein would do a better job writing about the Packers.

mraynrand
11-27-2009, 09:27 AM
If he were still alive Shel Silverstein would do a better job writing about the Packers.

"The Giving Free"

http://www3.jsonline.com/packer/image/2001/82001/ant820.jpg

KYPack
11-27-2009, 10:15 AM
[quote=Zool]If he were still alive Shel Silverstein would do a better job writing about the Packers.

"The Giving Free"

[quote]

"A Team Named Sue"?

get louder at lambeau
11-27-2009, 11:29 AM
I wonder if the sad state of the newspaper industry is to blame for the shitty reporters we have to suffer. I think Vandermause is the worst of the bunch, personally.

Cheesehead Craig
11-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I only hope I can make it the 13 miles to the break room here at work and have time to eat lunch.

sheepshead
11-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I wonder if the sad state of the newspaper industry is to blame for the shitty reporters we have to suffer. I think Vandermause is the worst of the bunch, personally.

The reverse. Add the editors.

KYPack
11-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Go read an old article written by say, Bud Lea.

Then go read one by Silverstein, Lori Nickle, or most of the current hacks. The contrast is startling. How can you write articles about an NFL team and not have a basic grasp of the game?

Most of us now forage around on the internet to try and get some insight into the team.

You sure aren't going to find much in the papers.

Patler
11-27-2009, 12:21 PM
Do they read Packerrats???Its has now been rewritten to:

"For most, 1,200 miles and a whole lot of sunshine separate Tampa from Detroit. "

I have checked periodically all morning. The change occurred very recently. (As I write this it is 12:20 CST)

Zool
11-27-2009, 12:31 PM
Maybe someone finally turned the attic light on?

PlantPage55
11-27-2009, 01:52 PM

"For most, 1,200 miles and a whole lot of sunshine separate Tampa from Detroit. "

I have checked periodically all morning. The change occurred very recently. (As I write this it is 12:20 CST)

I sent Silverstein an embarrassing Tweet about it.

Pugger
11-27-2009, 01:55 PM
And the newspaper industry wonders why readership is down...

MJZiggy
11-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Yes, they do read us which explains why we can only post links to their content.

That said, they're no Grantland Rice. I'm not sure they have copyeditors anymore and I'm not sure I'd consider their page editors to be bright enough to catch this kind of stuff. There are typos and bits of bad grammar all over their pages. Learn your trade people!!

Partial
11-27-2009, 07:08 PM
This happens often. I read the articles at about 11pm every night when they go live on the internet. They often get edited.

Lurker64
11-27-2009, 07:11 PM
This happens often. I read the articles at about 11pm every night when they go live on the internet. They often get edited.

Are they this bad when they're printed in the actual papers? Presumably they are unable to update ink and paper during the day.

CaliforniaCheez
11-27-2009, 07:21 PM
The editor did his job, that is all. Editing out such mistakes or omissions.

Patler
11-27-2009, 07:27 PM
The editor's job should have happened before noon. The newspaper is a morning paper, is it not? Shouldn't editing happen before it goes to print? What version appeared in print? Anyone have a copy?

I have seen lots of errors in middle-of-the-night articles, usually changed by early the next morning. Not so with this one.

pbmax
11-27-2009, 09:51 PM
The editor's job should have happened before noon. The newspaper is a morning paper, is it not? Shouldn't editing happen before it goes to print? What version appeared in print? Anyone have a copy?

I have seen lots of errors in middle-of-the-night articles, usually changed by early the next morning. Not so with this one.Depending on the publishing system and the deadline, its possible the article was submitted for the web before it went to final edits before press. Not sure of their workflow.

But you are correct that someone should have edited even an orphaned copy of the story on the web before Noon.

mraynrand
11-27-2009, 10:55 PM
Go read an old article written by say, Bud Lea.

Then go read one by Silverstein, Lori Nickle, or most of the current hacks. The contrast is startling. How can you write articles about an NFL team and not have a basic grasp of the game?

Most of us now forage around on the internet to try and get some insight into the team.

You sure aren't going to find much in the papers.

The post game chats with Bedard suck - he knows less than my cousin Merle - and Merle is busy in his wood shop during the game and just shows up during the fourth quarter to drink brandy and swear at the TV if the Packers are losing. If Bedard didn't have inside access to the team, he'd have about the same analytical impact as Ray Charles at a fireworks display.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-27-2009, 11:16 PM

Well, shel certainly knew the lifestyle of the players.

One of ty's all time fav shel poems...use to have it in my locker in high school.

The California C's

Perched on a purple plastic stool
At the Hollywood-Mexo-Eato,
Tryin' to talk my way into
A free beef/bean burrito,
When a shriveled old man in a brown straw hat,
He sits down next to me --
He says, "Kid, I see you're kinda short
On California C's.
Now, you're new in town, and your stock is down.
Advice is what you need,
And I been here since the Strip was a path
And the air was fit to breathe.
And you can beat the odds in Vegas, son,
And the law of gravity,
But you'll never beat L.A.
Without some California C's
Now, the very first C, it stands for Cash;
For reasons too obvious to mention,
And the next is that expensive Car
To get this town's attention.
The third C is a Canyon Crib