PDA

View Full Version : Kendeigh's Corner: Packers Playoff Path Promising

SnakeLH2006
11-28-2009, 02:54 AM
http://www.wisn.com/sports/21741251/detail.html

Kendeigh's Corner: Packers Playoff Path Promising

The Packers will make the playoffs. There, I said it. They won't win the division, obviously that crown will belong to Brett Favre and the Vikings. But, the Packers will win one of the two NFC Wildcard spots. Here's why.

Minnesota will win the North, New Orleans will win the South, Arizona will win the West and barring a December collapse, the Cowboys will win the East. That leaves the Packers (7-4), Eagles (6-4), Giants (6-5) and Falcons (5-5) as the Wildcard contenders.

Here's what each team faces down the stretch:
Packers (7-4):
vs. Baltimore, 5-5
at Chicago, 4-6
at Pittsburgh, 6-4
vs. Seattle, 3-7
at Arizona, 7-3

-------------
Packers opponents: 25-25, .500 winning pct.

Eagles (6-4):
vs. Washington, 3-7
at Atlanta, 5-5
at N.Y. Giants, 6-5
vs. San Francisco, 4-6
vs. Denver, 7-4
at Dallas, 8-3

---------------
Eagles opponents: 33-30, .524 winning pct.

Giants (6-5)
vs. Dallas, 8-3
vs. Philadelphia, 6-4
at Washington, 3-7
vs. Carolina, 4-6
at Minnesota, 9-1
-------------

Giants opponents: 30-21, .588 winning pct.

Falcons (5-5)
vs. Tampa Bay, 1-9
vs. Philadelphia, 6-4
vs. New Orleans, 10-0
at N.Y. Jets, 4-6
vs. Buffalo, 3-7
at Tampa Bay, 1-9
--------------------

Falcons opponents: 25-35, .417 winning pct.

The Packers have the second easiest schedule and they play just two teams with a winning record. The three-team race for the NFC East will be a slugfest with each team playing each other once in the final month of the season.

Fans like to go down the line and predict wins and losses and if you do that with the Packers, most fans would figure Green Bay will win at least three of their final five games which would give them 10 wins on the season. Since changing to a four-division coference format in 2002 there's never been a 10-win team miss the playoffs in the NFC. The Packers will win 10 and will make the playoffs.
__________________________________________________ ________

Seems fair enough. Plus we are playing as well as we have in 2 years under ARod. I feel it. Just add in the playoff factor..... Head to head with Minn. has been poor for us, but if they get beat, we are rollin'. Snake has a good vibe lately with as good as we've been the last 3 weeks of games: (OL gelling with Cliffy/Tauch lately...Grant has been pretty good, sacks less..Arod has been great....the D has been really good with Capers blitzing it up).

Get hot, win. Simple formula come playoff time: Look at Arizona last year. We are playing well with the OL and the D coming together again. As long as we don't face Minn., Snake's not scared of the other NFC teams, match-up wise.......well maybe the Saints, but they haven't EVER done shit in the playoffs.

CaptainKickass
11-28-2009, 11:46 AM
.....if we should face the Minnesota Bi-Queens for a 3rd time this season...aren't the statistical odds of a win actually in our favor?

MJZiggy
11-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Statistically speaking, yes. Caution, though as they seem charmed. Things are just bouncing their way (though it would be sweet to see them get a bye only to lose their first playoff game).

denverYooper
11-28-2009, 11:57 AM
We'd have a great chance to beat 'em the third time. I have a feeling the boys will be more loose the next time. They were wound way up last time they battled and choked themselves out until halftime.

denverYooper
11-28-2009, 12:09 PM
As long as Cliffy's ok I sure like our chances. He'll have a mini bye to heal that hammy up for the stretch. This is surely the year to play Balt and Pitt and I think we take at least one of them. They're both pretty banged up this year. Pitt has as many issues on ST as we do, so that'll be an interesting matchup.

NYG are crashing hard right now. They sure looked slow against Denver and their secondary is in rough, rough shape. Atlanta's D is a liability for them and they're struggling when they don't jump in front. Feels like Philly is better than their record, but they are prone to lapses just like GB.

mraynrand
11-28-2009, 12:34 PM
11-5, lose to N.O. in the Divisional round.

Cheesehead Craig
11-28-2009, 01:56 PM
11-5, lose to N.O.B.O.D.Y. in the Divisional round.
Fixed that for you. :wink: Hell, I'm high on the Kool-Aid today.

gbgary
11-28-2009, 08:07 PM
.....if we should face the Minnesota Bi-Queens for a 3rd time this season...aren't the statistical odds of a win actually in our favor?

we'll have to play them completely different than we did the other times...but we're getting way ahead of ourselves. need to beat the ravens.

The Leaper
11-29-2009, 01:01 AM
We don't need to beat the Ravens.

Currently, we have the best NFC record of the wild card contenders. If we sweep our remaining NFC games, it puts us at 10 wins...and probably forces two teams to get to 11 wins to knock us out.

The Ravens and Steelers games are much less meaningful than the remaining NFC matchups. If we are going to lose 2 of the 5...you want them to lose to the two AFC teams.

Partial
11-29-2009, 01:07 AM
Statistically speaking, yes. Caution, though as they seem charmed. Things are just bouncing their way (though it would be sweet to see them get a bye only to lose their first playoff game).

Please explain these statistics to me. Seriously.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 01:12 AM
No matter what..I sure as hell don't wanna have to go into the Metrodome and lose to the Vikes in the playoffs. Imagine the drama in Rattsville if that happened and the Vikes go to the Superbowl with that win to end the Packers season.... :shock:

australianpackerbacker
11-29-2009, 03:48 AM
I think people may be over-estimating dallas' chances at winning their division. They have a tough schedule coming up:

13 Dec 06 DAL @ NYG Giants Stadium 4:15 PM Tickets FOX 715 125 (DAL)
123 (NYG)
14 Dec 13 SD @ DAL Cowboys Stadium 4:15 PM Tickets CBS 716 123 (SD)
125 (DAL)
15 Dec 19 DAL @ NO Superdome 8:20 PM Tickets NFLN 212 125 (DAL)
126 (NO) Radio
16 Dec 27 DAL @ WAS FedEx Field 8:20 PM Tickets NBC

17 Jan 03 PHI @ DAL Cowboys Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets FOX 711

Not one slouch team. If they dont beat the Giants they have a good chance at being 8-6 with two tough division games to round out the season. Divisional games cant be considered easy, IMO no matter how poor the other teams record is. Philly knocked Dallas out of the playoffs last year, and i think history may repeat itself. Something tells me they may finish up with the same record as Green Bay and lose out to us in the playoffs on tie-breakers.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 04:24 AM
I think people may be over-estimating dallas' chances at winning their division. They have a tough schedule coming up:

13 Dec 06 DAL @ NYG Giants Stadium 4:15 PM Tickets FOX 715 125 (DAL)
123 (NYG)
14 Dec 13 SD @ DAL Cowboys Stadium 4:15 PM Tickets CBS 716 123 (SD)
125 (DAL)
15 Dec 19 DAL @ NO Superdome 8:20 PM Tickets NFLN 212 125 (DAL)
126 (NO) Radio
16 Dec 27 DAL @ WAS FedEx Field 8:20 PM Tickets NBC

17 Jan 03 PHI @ DAL Cowboys Stadium 1:00 PM Tickets FOX 711

Not one slouch team. If they dont beat the Giants they have a good chance at being 8-6 with two tough division games to round out the season. Divisional games cant be considered easy, IMO no matter how poor the other teams record is. Philly knocked Dallas out of the playoffs last year, and i think history may repeat itself. Something tells me they may finish up with the same record as Green Bay and lose out to us in the playoffs on tie-breakers.

Snake agrees...Most scouts have said that Philly is the team to beat in the NFC East. Even the "easy" game vs. the Skins is not that, and like you said, APB, that division is tough. They are gonna beat each other up. I like the Packer's chances at a wild-card....even at 9-7.

MJZiggy
11-29-2009, 07:33 AM

Please explain these statistics to me. Seriously.

Look it up yourself.

Packman_26
11-29-2009, 01:09 PM
I think the Packers have a good chance to beat the Vikings if they play again. However, it seems that the "beat a team 3 times in a season" stuff is bunk.
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/010708dnsponfl3wins.19ede6b.html