PDA

View Full Version : GB Playoff Run: Overachiever/Underachiever Analysis

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 01:07 AM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091128/PKR07/91128013/1058/PKR01/Mike-Vandermause-column--Packers-need-all-cylinders-firing-in-home-stretch

Mike Vandermause column: Green Bay Packers need all cylinders firing in home stretch

November 28, 2009

Armed with the No. 2 defense and No. 5 offense in the National Football League, the Green Bay Packers carry an impressive resume into the home stretch of their season.

But let’s not kid ourselves into believing statistics mean much, considering the Packers have been lucky enough to have the four worst teams in the NFL on their schedule.

Pummeling the likes of the Detroit Lions (2-9) twice, in addition to the Cleveland Browns (1-9) and St. Louis Rams (1-9), is one surefire way to produce with eye-popping efficiency. Even in a loss to the lowly Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-9), the Packers fattened their numbers.

Their 7-4 record puts them on solid ground and ahead of the pack of NFC wild-card contenders, but the Packers will need more than gaudy stats to make a deep playoff run.

It will take significant contributions from several key players if the Packers want to elevate themselves from merely a good team to a bona fide Super Bowl contender that can challenge NFC heavyweights New Orleans and Minnesota. Here is a list of players the Packers need to produce, broken down into three categories:

OVERACHIEVERS
(Players that have performed beyond expectations this season)

♦ Charles Woodson — Is there any doubt he’s the best Packers cornerback since Herb Adderley? Woodson is on pace to tie the single-season franchise record for interceptions (10), and in less than four years has pulled within one of tying Adderley’s team mark (7) for most career touchdowns on interception returns. Woodson deserves NFL defensive player of the year consideration, and if he keeps this up, the Packers’ hopes will remain high.

♦ Aaron Rodgers — He’s on pace to shatter the Packers record for passing yards in a season, and finish with the second-best completion percentage and passer rating of all-time behind Bart Starr. Those are remarkable numbers, and only the large shadow cast by his predecessor, Brett Favre, keeps more fans from appreciating his contributions. But make no mistake, Rodgers’ continued good health and play are a must.

♦ Donald Driver — He’s 34 years old but playing like he’s 24. Driver, who is on pace to catch 77 passes for more than 1,200 yards, says he wants to play until he’s 40. At this rate, who can doubt him? And so far this season, who can stop him?

UNDERACHIEVERS
(Players that have performed below expectations)

♦ Greg Jennings — He’s on pace for 68 catches and 1,050 yards, which isn’t bad. But Jennings is capable of so much more. Part of the problem is that defenses are keying on him, which has benefited Driver. But Jennings is getting paid too much money to serve as a decoy and needs to make more plays.

♦ Mason Crosby — The Packers might need him to win a game on a cold December day, but after his 43-yard indoor miss against the Lions on Thanksgiving, coach Mike McCarthy appears to be losing faith. Crosby’s 77 percent field goal accuracy ranks tied for 25th in the NFL and isn’t good enough. Now would be a good time for him to start living up to his potential.

♦ Special teamers — The Packers have some of the worst coverage units in the NFL. They rank dead last in net punting average, and only seven teams have allowed more yards per kickoff return than the Packers. This is a major disappointment, considering the heavy emphasis placed on special teams during the offseason.

♦ Offensive linemen — After a disastrous first half of the season, this unit has looked better of late. If Mark Tauscher’s knee holds up, and rookie T.J. Lang continues to develop as a capable backup tackle — or starter if necessary — good things might be in store and Rodgers can stop fearing for his life.

MODEST ACHIEVERS
(Players who have flashed potential)

♦ Jermichael Finley — An injury sidelined him for a month and slowed his progress, but if he breaks loose, the offense could shed its red-zone struggles and become virtually unstoppable.

♦ Ryan Grant — He’s on pace to rush for 1,295 yards, which would rank sixth all-time in single-season team history. It would help if he could break a couple long runs and boost his 4.3 average. For as much as Grant has been criticized, a strong finish will justify the contract the Packers gave him last year.

♦ B.J. Raji — The ninth overall selection in the draft has been shackled by a nagging ankle injury but seems to be getting healthy. At a time when many rookies hit the wall, Raji must blossom as a run-stuffer and overall stud on the defensive line.

Snake's Take:

-#2 Defense and #5 offense? Damn that's crazy. So how are we only 7-4? Oh yeah, we played the 4 worst teams in the NFL so far. But damn those are some stats...
-I don't believe Arod or Woodson have overachieved. I expected both to have stellar seasons, thus far, and both have been great.
-Driver has overachieved...at his age, I'd have suspected he'd tail off at this point. He's been better than Jennings so far. Lights out Turkey Day too.
-I agree with all the underachievers. Jennings has kinda disappeared in games. I really thought he'd be elite this year. There's still time for him to shine, though.
-As far as Mike's modest achievers...Finley has been hurt, but really good when he's played. I like that guy alot at TE/SE with the matchup problems he presents vs. Donald Lee at TE. He has overachieved, as I don't think anyone expected him to just beast at times (but be overall much improved coming off last season). Grant (most know I'm usually down on Grant) has impressed me the last few weeks. He's done more than I expected by far. BJ was hurt early and really took off the past few weeks (QB pressures, big run stuffs, sacks, etc.) I'm a big BJ fan (look at my sig) but I don't know what to say here, as I think his 1st half was not what I wanted/expected, but suspect he's getting stronger and more confident in the past few games and will be a force by years end. He's really been good the past few games and will be much better by the end of the year, and into 2010 and beyond.

PlantPage55
11-29-2009, 01:20 AM
I've no doubt that we'd have at least 2 more wins, if our special teams were up to snuff.

The Tampa Bay game was a ST travesty. They scored 17 points on, what, like 30-odd yards off offense during one stretch of the game?

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 01:41 AM
I've no doubt that we'd have at least 2 more wins, if our special teams were up to snuff.

The Tampa Bay game was a ST travesty. They scored 17 points on, what, like 30-odd yards off offense during one stretch of the game?

I'd agree with that, PlantPage, as our ST has been atrochious this year. Crosby has been sub-par, those kick coverage teams are out of sync, and Jordy has really underwhelmed. Jordy has had some deece kick returns, but that fumble last week was weak, and totally looks slow on PR. Now that Tramon starts at CB he can't be the PR (and has burst there) where Jordy has none. His straight-line speed is high, but his agility and short burst are lacking. I'm disappointed in the kick coverage and McFatty continually putting Jordy on PR (I think I saw last week where he averages 3.8 yards a PR...that's terrible).

All the ST woes you pointed out might explain how we dominate at #2 D and #5 O, yet are only 7-4. Somehow, someway I still blame Mike McFatty.

MJZiggy
11-29-2009, 07:23 AM
Grant is on pace to rank sixth all time in single season team history and that makes him mediocre. What's he gotta do to be considered good, Mike?

Maxie the Taxi
11-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Grant is on pace to rank sixth all time in single season team history and that makes him mediocre. What's he gotta do to be considered good, Mike?

I agree with you, Ziggy.

I think Vandermause was approaching deadline and needed something to write about.

Woodson, Driver, Rodgers, Jennings and Grant are solid pros. I suspect Jennings is perceived as underachieving because he draws double-teams and special coverage, freeing up Driver, Jones and Nelson.

Grant has done everything he's been asked to do. Rodgers, Woodson and Driver are All-Pros, dependable in the clutch.

Patler's made the case for Mason Crosby in another thread.

A lot of times "underachieving" is a matter of situations and being in a position to succeed. Most of this comes down to what the opponent is doing and how we counter it. We can't control what the opponent does. We can't control injuries, but we can control strategy, our attitude and our personnel. And that is the responsibility of management and the coaching staff.

Clearly management and the coaching staff has underachieved in this respect.

Playing for long, chancy field goals instead of field position is a "controllable."

Deciding on "trick" or "directional" kickoffs instead of asking Mason to just "boom it," is a controllable.

Abandoning a successful running game in favor of downfield bombs and exposing Rodgers, is a controllable.

Mental errors and procedure penalties on the LOS are controllables.

Attitude and motivation are controllables.

Bretsky
11-29-2009, 10:34 AM

I'd also consider him a mediocre starting #1 RB. If you are a #1 RB the expectations are higher.

Where would you rate him in terms of the #1 Backs ?

My guess is he falls in the 15-22 range for most.

Smidgeon
11-29-2009, 10:37 AM

Probably breaking the long runs and having more 100 yard games. If he has any runs over 30 yards, he only has one or two. He has none over 40 yards. The good runners tend to break long runs every couple games. This statistic really impresses me considering Grant hasn't broken long runs. To get on that yardage list without the yards from the long runs? Impressive.

Bretsky
11-29-2009, 10:46 AM

Probably breaking the long runs and having more 100 yard games. If he has any runs over 30 yards, he only has one or two. He has none over 40 yards. The good runners tend to break long runs every couple games. This statistic really impresses me considering Grant hasn't broken long runs. To get on that yardage list without the yards from the long runs? Impressive.

His YPC are not that great. I like Grant. He's alright. But he must be getting a pretty good quanity of carries w/o the big runs.

mission
11-29-2009, 11:24 AM
How do you mention Raji without Matthews?

bobblehead
11-29-2009, 12:18 PM
How do you mention Raji without Matthews?

Exactly...and I waited til I read the thread before posting finally. How can you not put mathews in the top class...he has been absolutely beastly for us.

pack4to84
11-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Wonder what round Toby will go in the draft? I watch the game last night. Talk about a RB playing with heart. I would love to have him on the Packers. John Harbaugh loves this guy and I can see why.

mission
11-29-2009, 01:19 PM
Wonder what round Toby will go in the draft? I watch the game last night. Talk about a RB playing with heart. I would love to have him on the Packers. John Harbaugh loves this guy and I can see why.

Somewhere in the middle ?? He won't do much... reminds me of another Stanford back: Touchdown Tommy Vardell.

Who's the last white running back over 1000 yards? Riggins? :lol:

Pugger
11-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Who is Toby?? :?:

pack4to84
11-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Who is Toby?? :?: Toby Gerhart from Stanford
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6Zz3F8Qyo highlights from last night game. Make sure to see the run at the 3:17 mark

CaliforniaCheez
11-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Much of the playoff run depends on Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush.

TennesseePackerBacker
11-29-2009, 09:06 PM
Much of the playoff run depends on Tramon Williams and Jarrett Bush.

I'm going to say defensive/offensive line play and their subsequent health. If our D-line turns it up a notch it can really overshadow secondary issues(just look at the Ravens). If the offensive line continues to gel we'll see McCarthy ball in the winter, and no I don't mean Andy Reid style.

Brandon494
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM

No thanks, just another Brian Leonard if you ask me. We need a home run hitter at RB, not another Ryan Grant.

packerbacker1234
11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Grant is a good RB. I've been with that notion all along. We got so use to seeing Green's extra gear that when it became apparent Grant didn't have it we automatically pegged him as a bad RB.

The guy has a 4.3 ypc average. In what league is that bad? Yeah, he made not get that gear for the home run, but he's dependable and gets the tough yards.

Green showing up definitely appears to have made Grant a better RB. He must of showed him a few things that Green does up the guy to be successful. I actually can;t wait for Green to get back. He is a very good compliment back to Grant, appeared to have something in the tank, and was surprisingly reliable on returns.

Brandon494
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Never said Grant was a bad RB, just think we need a change of pace back like so many other teams in the league.

digitaldean
11-30-2009, 12:00 AM
Gerhart made me chuckle when he bowled over those ND DB's Sat. night.

He has to work on his speed, but he has the power part down pat.

I'd Spiller over him (like he'd be available anyway!). That guys flat out speed on KR's is just killer.

Lurker64
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM
There are a lot more RBs in this draft than just Gerhart and Spiller.

Cal's Jahvid Best is a similar prospect to Spiller, though a tier below
Georgia Tech's Johnathon Dwyer has an elite blend of speed and power (though coming from an option team, he's never had to make a read in his life).

Those are the juniors I'm relatively confident will come out, who knows about the rest? But even among the seniors, you've got a good group in Tennessee's Hardesty, Mississippi's Dixon, and Auburn's Tate all of whom should be second day picks come April. Probably a larger group of Jrs will declare this year than usual, since there are fears that the next CBA will put a limit on outrageous rookie contracts, but we'll see.

Running Backs are so devalued in this day and age both because they tend to have short careers and because the pipeline is pretty much always full of "good enough" RBs coming out of college. I don't think we need an elite back (though if we could get one that would be keen), but a guy who is a different kind of runner than the guys we have (who are largely indistinguishable in style) would help.