PDA

View Full Version : B.J. Raji: He's Getting Better But is He Gonna Be All-Pro?

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 01:30 AM
First off, Snake has followed BJ through college, advocated us selecting him given the opportunity, and predicted this pick at #9. I was ecstatic as all hell that we got him and that TT went against the grain and selected some need picks at NT and OLB in the draft this year. Check the draft threads, but that Matthews pick looks pretty good as his motor is all over the field, and is maybe our best pass-rusher right now.

BJ hasn't jumped out the box as I had hoped, but was hurt early, and it usually takes time for young DT types to develop. He didn't play much early, but has really come on the last few games (all wins) with some clutch run-stops and pass-rushing (some sackage). Personally, I think the light has come on lately and he has gained some familiarity with the schemes and his talent is gonna bust out even more, pretty soon. By the end of the year, I think he'll still live up to the hype, but if not, 2010 will be his year. He's the key to our D along with C. Matthews as both were great picks by TT this year. We now have the #2 defense in all the NFL (you read that right).

Both those guys (Matthews and Raji) are still quite young, but I feel they can piggyback their styles with each other. Matthews has shown explosive bursts pass-rushing, and Raji has really settled down and is showing up with some big, explosive bursts to stuff some runs lately, and some sacks.

The future looks great for both, but this topic was all about Raji, as some were down on him early in the season, but really, he's doing pretty well lately, and I don't doubt he'll be a regular all-Pro with his size-speed combo and tenaciousness in the next year or so.

Personally, I thought it would be interesting with how you Rats look at Raji in the future. IMO his talent is still off the charts, and looks tough, and a leader for the Packer D for the next decade. All-Pro in a year or two for sure...

Gunakor
11-29-2009, 01:39 AM
Too early to tell yet. He's just getting healthy right now after the early season setback. I think it's safe to assume he'll be a solid DL if he can stay healthy. But it's just too early to speculate on whether he'll be a perrenial all pro or not. He's still got a ways to go.

I'd guess that he'll have a better shot at it from the nose tackle position than from the end, which may still be a few years down the road.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 01:56 AM
Too early to tell yet. He's just getting healthy right now after the early season setback. I think it's safe to assume he'll be a solid DL if he can stay healthy. But it's just too early to speculate on whether he'll be a perrenial all pro or not. He's still got a ways to go.

I'd guess that he'll have a better shot at it from the nose tackle position than from the end, which may still be a few years down the road.

Gun, I'd agree with that, but it's all in the air right now with Raji. No one really knows, but that was the point. Predict the future. Give him time (he's 22) with his amazing size-speed-strength (although he doesn't look that big on TV..he looks small, doesn't he?) and leadership (read many articles pre and post draft where he seems like a real leader and smart football guy).

There's no wrong answers, but him and Clay look like young cornerstones for the future of the GB D. The guy (Raji) was the unquestioned heart and soul of some good Boston College teams which ranked #5 amongst almost 400 D1 teams in defense. It's hard to predict, but he's really looked as good as Cullen Jenkins in the past few games (and Jenkins healthy is no slouch)...and like you said, he just came back from injuries.

The sky is the limit with BJ. I get giddy seeing those flashes of potential from both him and Clay lately. Hopefully we'll have a deece secondary in 2 years with Al (hurt) and Wood getting older (although I see Wood playing safety in 2 more years and rounding up a HOF career at that position).

Lurker64
11-29-2009, 02:27 AM
Everything I see from Raji right now is a positive. He's not going to be playing NT for us for a few years, most likely because he's too valuable as a pass-rushing lineman in the nickel (2-4-5) package, which we seem to run as often as the base defense. He's definitely unusually fast for a man his size, and he's got a lot of power that he's flashed. He's going to need to get better against the double-team and he's going to need more pass rushing moves than the power-rush, but from what I've seen the sky is the limit for Mr. Busari Jr. If he stays healthy, gets coached well, and works hard he could be a premier talent.

Gunakor
11-29-2009, 02:37 AM
He's been hurt. He's just getting healthy. I can't predict anything until I can see what kind of a player he is in this league. I don't know. I've seen about as much of Raji as I have Justin Harrell at this point. It's not even enough to make an assesment of his play THIS season. I certainly can't predict the future for this kid.

On top of that, his All-Pro status depends as much on the other DT's in the NFL over the years as it does on Raji's performance. Being in the NFC helps him a great deal there, as he doesn't have to compete with the Casey Hampton's and the Vince Wilfork's of the league. But it's all guesswork driven by homerism at this point.

I think the kid has potential to be a solid DL for many years if he can stay healthy. I think he's going to be pro bowl caliber, but that doesn't mean he'll make the pro bowl every year. I thought Aaron Rodgers was pro bowl caliber last year and he didn't get an invite. I thought Charles Woodson was pro bowl caliber a few years ago when he led the conference in INT's yet didn't get an invite. I think Raji will be deserving, I think he's quite capable of being that perrenial pro bowler we all hope he becomes, but there's just too many variables to guess at this point.

The homer side of me says yes, of course he will. But that same homer side of me said the same thing when Justin Harrell was drafted. So there it is. Best to just wait and see.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 02:47 AM
Everything I see from Raji right now is a positive. He's not going to be playing NT for us for a few years, most likely because he's too valuable as a pass-rushing lineman in the nickel (2-4-5) package, which we seem to run as often as the base defense. He's definitely unusually fast for a man his size, and he's got a lot of power that he's flashed. He's going to need to get better against the double-team and he's going to need more pass rushing moves than the power-rush, but from what I've seen the sky is the limit for Mr. Busari Jr. If he stays healthy, gets coached well, and works hard he could be a premier talent.

Lurker, let's pray he stays healthy, as he's a rare talent, and still gets coached well, (despite Mike's coaching status) as I hope we retain Capers somehow, someway.

That 3-4 scheme is predicated off of pass-rushing playmakers on the LB...but Raji can flourish in a year or two (might not have the 12 sack years of Sapp, but his run-stuff bursting is something we see already in the past few games.) He's really got a motor with that speed/strength combo he has. He's still hella young, but give him an offseason or two and I really think the best is yet to come. I look back and realize he's only 22. Maybe the expectations were high coming in, but if he stays healthy, he'll be the cornerstone at NT for this D. I really don't see him at DE though, as some of you have implied. His speed at the NT/DT position is top-notch, but even as a 3-4 DE, his speed is negated. Keep him in the interior where he can disrupt run-schemes and add some rare pass-rush from that position.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 03:00 AM
The homer side of me says yes, of course he will. But that same homer side of me said the same thing when Justin Harrell was drafted. So there it is. Best to just wait and see.

Gun, buddy, that pains me to even hear you compare him to Justin Harrell. I'm sure most all us Rats are die-hard Packer fans and seen most of the games, but I can't recall Harrell disrupting/making plays (maybe some tackles) where I saw that potential that Raji is doing lately (they zone in on him making sacks, big tackles lately on Fox)...I don't care what they say, as I HD-DVR the games and watch most plays several times from different positions to see what is going on (I'm that big of a homer/stat-analysis freak). I see Raji doing stuff lately in pushing guys back (no stats to show) that JH never did. That hurts to hear that comparison. Raji IMO has played very well the past few weeks, but can't recall seeing JH dominate his man in ANY game, much less make some key plays.

Gunakor
11-29-2009, 03:55 AM
Snake, you can't compare Raji's NFL career to Harrell's NFL career. Neither has had one yet. You compare their college careers, and Harrell was a fucking beast when healthy for Tennessee. Raji wasn't that much better a football player for BC than Harrell was for Tennessee, he was simply a healthier football player who saw more playing time. He wasn't more impressive IMO. As such, I expected as much out of Harrell as I do Raji. And just like Harrell, Raji's future is anything but guaranteed. It's too early to speculate.

Some people are just too quick to jump on a rookie's bandwagon. Raji's a rookie who didn't get hardly any playing time the first half of the season. You're talking about being an All-Pro. That means the best in the entire conference at your position. No guess on that would be unbiased or objective at this point. It's just too early. Wait a year or two and ask that question again, once Raji at the very least becomes a starter for his own team. Then we'll talk about whether or not he'll be a starter on a PB squad.

SnakeLH2006
11-29-2009, 04:34 AM
Snake, you can't compare Raji's NFL career to Harrell's NFL career. Neither has had one yet. You compare their college careers, and Harrell was a fucking beast when healthy for Tennessee. Raji wasn't that much better a football player for BC than Harrell was for Tennessee, he was simply a healthier football player who saw more playing time. He wasn't more impressive IMO. As such, I expected as much out of Harrell as I do Raji. And just like Harrell, Raji's future is anything but guaranteed. It's too early to speculate.

Some people are just too quick to jump on a rookie's bandwagon. Raji's a rookie who didn't get hardly any playing time the first half of the season. You're talking about being an All-Pro. That means the best in the entire conference at your position. No guess on that would be unbiased or objective at this point. It's just too early. Wait a year or two and ask that question again, once Raji at the very least becomes a starter for his own team. Then we'll talk about whether or not he'll be a starter on a PB squad.

I can compare careers, as I watched some college Tennessee games, and most Raji games at Boston College. Raji was an All-American, JH was not. JH wasn't the best player on his team, BJ was for a top Defense.

I'm not quick to jump on a rookie's bandwagon. I started it before he was on this team. Been with BJ for a long time before it was popular to jump on his said "bandwagon". The kid is a stud and will be great. I'm usually right with these things, Gun, you ever venture into the Brandon Jennings thread on the Bucks forum on here? Check it out.

Not tooting anything, but BJ will be studly soon. He's healthy now and making plays. You say wait a year or two for Raji...I even stated in the poll...all pro by 2011. That's 3 years. He'll be that good by then. JH hasn't done shit, or been healthy at all. I assume you watch the games. as BJ has been pretty beastly lately. JH never did that in the NFL. Raji is already a good contributor on D....JH only racks up DNP's and ice-baths on IR. Raji has arrived, JH NEVER did anything in the NFL. Not even close.

Being skeptical is fine..and I don't hold that against you, but Raji is making a difference on the interior D the last few games (3-0) and gaining confidence. No doubt at 22, he'll get better. JH never did shit. BJ blows his man up on most plays that I have seen (not always stats to show)...JH got blown back (did make an occasional play where some said he's got some talent) but overall, not even a close/fair comparison...maybe the colllege thing, but as far as the NFL....BJ has shown burst at 22. JH showed a burst to the IR. Nuff said. Not even close. Sorry, Gun.

Gunakor
11-29-2009, 05:10 AM
I can compare careers, as I watched some college Tennessee games, and most Raji games at Boston College. Raji was an All-American, JH was not. JH wasn't the best player on his team, BJ was for a top Defense.

I'm not quick to jump on a rookie's bandwagon. I started it before he was on this team. Been with BJ for a long time before it was popular to jump on his said "bandwagon". The kid is a stud and will be great. I'm usually right with these things, Gun, you ever venture into the Brandon Jennings thread on the Bucks forum on here? Check it out.

Not tooting anything, but BJ will be studly soon. He's healthy now and making plays. You say wait a year or two for Raji...I even stated in the poll...all pro by 2011. That's 3 years. He'll be that good by then. JH hasn't done shit, or been healthy at all. I assume you watch the games. as BJ has been pretty beastly lately. JH never did that in the NFL.

BJ has been solid lately, not beastly. That's homerism. Blind loyalty. What has he done thus far that 20 other defensive linemen in the NFL haven't done? He's made some plays in the backfield. He has one sack, something Harrell doesn't have, but it's not like Harrell was getting pushed around when healthy. You must not remember, but Harrell was making plays in the backfield here and there when healthy also. He just hasn't been healthy enough to make a lasting impact, so people forget that his injury troubles have really been the only problem with his career. Talent was never, ever, ever an issue with him.

Raji's not even a starter for the team he plays for yet. It's way, WAY to early to speculate on whether he'll ever be a starter for the NFC Pro Bowl squad.

I read your poll. He's not going to be an all pro in 2011 if he's not even a regular participant for the Green Bay Packers. Once he starts getting regular playing time it'll be easier to evaluate him and guess whether or not he's going to be special. Until then, he's a backup NT/DE which means there are at least 3 DL on our roster alone better than Raji is and probably will be for the next few years (Pickett, Jolly, Jenkins). As long as that's true Raji will never be considered for the pro bowl, much less voted on and elected as a starter for the NFC.

Your poll asks whether he'll be the best in the entire conference at his position, when he's not even the best on his team at his position and thus is losing snaps and exposure to a better football player. With no exposure he'll get no votes. See where I'm coming from?

If I had to answer your poll right now, he's a backup so that's where I'd have to vote. I can't compare him to other starting defensive linemen for other teams when he can't beat out 3 of them right here in Green Bay. That's what I meant by jumping on a rookie's bandwagon. Right now I'd say Ryan Pickett has a better chance of making the Pro Bowl in 2011 than BJ Raji has. So do Cullen Jenkins and Johnny Jolly. They're the ones on the field getting exposure.

Gunakor
11-29-2009, 05:37 AM
And no, I didn't see your Brandon Jennings thread because I never browse the Bucks forum. It's a horribly run team in an unenjoyable sport filled with a bunch of athletes I'd rather not serve as role models for my kids. I wouldn't even know who Brandon Jennings is, but the local Fox station here did a "Greatest Jenn-eration" thing or something like that promoting Greg Jennings for the Pack and Brandon Jennings for the Bucks. Basketball doesn't interest me at all, and if the Bucks won an NBA title I probably wouldn't even know until Rock and BA made mention of it during an FSN Brewers broadcast. I'm just not at all interested.

Maxie the Taxi
11-29-2009, 08:28 AM

+1

No complaints here.

Scott Campbell
11-29-2009, 09:07 AM
The guy (Raji) was the unquestioned heart and soul of some good Boston College teams which ranked #5 amongst almost 400 D1 teams in defense.

That number sounds pretty high.

mission
11-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Snake - Have you watched all the latest Packers games?

Bretsky
11-29-2009, 10:40 AM
Bretsky thinks BJ/s will be solid but da Crab will be the bomb

RashanGary
11-29-2009, 11:17 AM

Raji seems to be developing into an impact lineman. He's tough as hell in the run game at DE and has shown some real talent rushing the passer (although I think he needs more chances to just go up field).

That said, Crabtree looked amazing in that 49er game. He looked like an elite, dominate receiver that can really track the ball and then has great hands to catch it. The way he goes and gets the ball is similar to all the good WR's I've seen. Jennings, Driver, Moss. . . . The good receivers I've seen a lot of all look a little different, but all do it the same. They go and get the ball. Crabtree goes and gets the ball.

I think Crabtree will always be the flashier player. Kevin Williams isn't very flashy in Minnesota, but he's every bit as valuable as Sidney Rice. I think it was a good pick for us still. Crabs possibly being a great WR and Raji possibly being a great DL. We needed DL more, so the pick made sense with both being really good players.

Watching crabs though, I agree, I think he could be great. I'd still take a BJ over Crabs though.

mission
11-29-2009, 11:22 AM

Raji seems to be developing into an impact lineman. He's tough as hell in the run game at DE and has shown some real talent rushing the passer (although I think he needs more chances to just go up field).

That said, Crabtree looked amazing in that 49er game. He looked like an elite, dominate receiver that can really track the ball and then has great hands to catch it. The way he goes and gets the ball is similar to all the good WR's I've seen. Jennings, Driver, Moss. . . . The good receivers I've seen a lot of all look a little different, but all do it the same. They go and get the ball. Crabtree goes and gets the ball.

I think Crabtree will always be the flashier player. Kevin Williams isn't very flashy in Minnesota, but he's every bit as valuable as Sidney Rice. I think it was a good pick for us still. Crabs possibly being a great WR and Raji possibly being a great DL. We needed DL more, so the pick made sense with both being really good players.

Watching crabs though, I agree, I think he could be great. I'd still take a BJ over Crabs though.

I agree with all of this post. Crab looks good but for who we are and where we are, I'm happy with the pick.

bobblehead
11-29-2009, 12:08 PM
I think BJ will be an on again, off again pro bowler...sort of Harris/Driver like. Very productive, good every year, but slightly underrated. Now, if the team becomes a perennial contender he will be a perennial pro bowler...just the way it works.

I absolutely LOVE our DL (can you believe I'm saying that after last year?)

Jolly: Bats down balls, usually solid gap control, sniffs out screens

Jenkins: Just a physical stud, live body, also sniffs out screens. His problem is he is an end type pass rusher for the 4-3, not a classic pocket collapser 3-4 end. Probably the most talented (agile), but can't quite utilize it all in this system.

Picket: Absolute wall in run D, and collapses the pocket nicely.

BJ: Strong inside rush, manhandles big guys (freaky strength). With time I think he will get to be dominant against the run as well. Stamina MIGHT be a problem long term as he looks chubby, but an offseason program might change that some.

Harell: I haven't thrown in the towel yet, I still have dreams of health and solid contributions (I have dreams about a young meg ryan too....I'm just saying) JH has a body type that is nearly unseen...you could shrink him to 6' tall and he would still look normal...most big guys wouldn't. I've seen him in person and he is just a ridiculous physical specimen....only Tony Boselli comes to mind for someone that size looking like its completely natural. OK, Reggie White too.

Kampman: Still think of him as primarily an end. He collapses the pocket better than anyone in the game (my humble opinion). His run D is very good as well from the OLB position. I hope we get him to come back as I think he was finally coming on at the position....just as he got hurt. The way they started using him helped as well.

I'm excited about the future of this team. We are going to have an offseason/Draft focusing on backups and maybe an LT. This most recent draft was godly....BJ/Mathews/Lang are all going to play and play well for years to come. You can already see it, as they aren't making bone headed mistakes. Lang needs to enter next camp at a position...STARTING...and stick with it.

Ok, passing the Kool Aid to the next poster.

Smidgeon
11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Gunakor,

I just wanted to give you mad props for your side of the debate in this thread. Personally, I think Raji is going to be special, but you were eloquent in your analysis of both Raji and Harrell, and I wanted to acknowledge that.

EDIT: although I do disagree that the current rotation is an indictment on how good Raji is. I don't think you can say that since he isn't starting he isn't one of the best three lineman. Like Lurker pointed out earlier (and Waldo did a while back on his blog), Raji brings a different skill set to the table. He's an explosive pass rusher. The Packers are wise to use him there and spell the DEs and let Pickett be the NT. Raji will be more rested and more effective in the nickle that way. Situational pass rush DEs make it into the probowl on occasion. Why can't situational pass rush DTs who are effective? I'm not saying that he will be that good (I hope so), but Raji is most likely to be used as a specific situation player, and I'm way okay with that.

P.S. Also holding out hope that Harrell can finally put the injuries behind him and fulfill the talent potential he has.

Brandon494
11-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Way too early to see what kinda career this kid will have but no one can deny the potenial he has shown at times. The kid is a rookie plaiyng a bum ankle learning a new defensive scheme. You rarely see NFL D-lineman make a big splash their rookie seasons. I do believe this guy is going to be a good one for us and would much rather have him then Diva WR Crabtree.

The Leaper
11-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I agree that it is way too early to judge Raji. Few guys of his size enter the NFL and immediately dominate...because they get along in college so easily on physical ability alone that it is a whole new world in the NFL. He will need to refine his technique and continue to add strength.

Raji will be best measured 3-4 years from now...but so far, so good IMO. He's looked like a guy who could eventually become a consistent Pro Bowl player if he continues to apply himself off the field.

Partial
11-29-2009, 07:59 PM
I haven't seen much from him to be honest but I have hope for him.