PDA

View Full Version : Players do not want to come to GB?

Brandon494
11-29-2009, 10:59 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1163269/index.htm

WHICH NFL TEAM WOULD YOU LEAST LIKE TO PLAY FOR?

Oakland Raiders 20%

Buffalo Bills 14%

Green Bay Packers 13%

Detroit Lions 12%

Cleveland Browns 7%

FAST FACTS

Players could not vote for their own team....The Raiders have gone 27--79 since end of the 2002 season.... The Bills, who fired coach Dick Jauron last week, have not made the playoffs since 1999....The Packers, who have won a record 12 league titles but none since after the 1996 season, were the least desirable team among players who have been in the league for five or fewer seasons, drawing 16% of their vote.

Based on a survey of 296 NFL players

Always believe this was true, yet some fans want to act like TT doesn't go after any FAs. Even Woodson said before he signed with the Packers that he would never want to play in Green Bay.

Noodle
11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Wow, that is something. I can't believe we beat out Detroit and Cleveland, as those are some of the worst-run franchises in the league.

Bossman641
11-29-2009, 11:13 PM
Not really a surprise to me. Read the notes

The Packers, who have won a record 12 league titles but none since after the 1996 season, were the least desirable team among players who have been in the league for five or fewer seasons, drawing 16% of their vote.

If you were young and rich/reasonably rich would you want to play in GB?

Smidgeon
11-29-2009, 11:30 PM

The Packers, who have won a record 12 league titles but none since after the 1996 season, were the least desirable team among players who have been in the league for five or fewer seasons, drawing 16% of their vote.

If you were young and Green Bay made you reasonably richer, would you stay away?

bobblehead
11-29-2009, 11:34 PM
Start winning, have a shot at the superbowl and they will be knocking down your door. Also, offer the most money....big coincidence that God told Reggie to go where the most money was being offered.

I'll take it a step further. It seems that after guys actually PLAY for GB for a season they want to stay there....even giving us the hometeam discount many times. GB is a charming city once you get used to it, but we have to draft them and make them stay a few seasons before they realize it.

I would like to see a poll of current and former packer players only and see where we rank.

Bossman641
11-29-2009, 11:41 PM

If you were young and Green Bay made you reasonably richer, would you stay away?

Depends on what my other choices would be. If I'd be making marginally less money but playing for an annual contender or in a more exciting city (Miami, SD, etc) I would certainly weigh my options.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Shocking. :roll:

Anybody with a brain knows that Wisco isn't desirable if you are young and have money, especially if you are black.

Milwaukee is always among the worst cities when polled among NBA players.

If you didn't grow up in wisco, it would hold no appeal. Just as various small towns in texas hold no appeal.

digitaldean
11-30-2009, 12:16 AM
But if we have certain players like C-Wood, GJ or RG recruit guys at off season events like the Pro Bowl, etc. it can help when trying to bring FA's.

Look what we had in the 90s, Reggie recruited Keith Jackson to come here, even though he really didn't WANT to come to GB initially.

It can still be done again. Now Teddy going AFTER FA's next season, wellll that's another story/thread for later.

Lurker64
11-30-2009, 12:49 AM
It can still be done again. Now Teddy going AFTER FA's next season, wellll that's another story/thread for later.

Part of the problem is that you certainly can entice free agents to come to Green Bay, you just have to pay the "you are going to have to live in Wisconsin for part of the year" tax and seriously outbid teams from more attractive destinations (that's how we got Reggie after all). It's not really sustainable to constantly be bringing in free agents every year if you have to pay premium, the economics just don't work out.

I idly wonder about whether it's accidental that pretty much all the teams that are built along the lines of "build through the draft" and "be ruthless with third contracts" are northern climate teams like New England, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Green Bay.

CaliforniaCheez
11-30-2009, 01:17 AM
The list is directly related to tax rates.

Any wonder why California, New York, Michigan, and Wisconsin are rated high?

Florida has no state income taxes and many players live there in the off season.

Nothing personal, it is just business.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-30-2009, 01:38 AM

Florida has no state income taxes and many players live there in the off season.

That is the most ridiculous assertion ever. The raiders and detroit are organizational disasters. Buffalo is like GB..a barren wasteland if you are into modern life. And, if you paid attention it you would have noted that among players who have been in the NFL 5 years or less...WE ARE THE #1 LEAST DESIRABLE.

If your theory was correct...san diego, san fran, jets, gmen, pats, etc. would be listed.

How many times do players have to say that GB is not a desirable location based on lack of diversity, small town, etc....before you wake up?

Pretending that it is about taxes doesn't allow us to face the problem, and ultimately try addressing it and mitigating it.

MOBB DEEP
11-30-2009, 03:00 AM
i would HATE to live there

Cant believe leroy butler adjusted SO well

Bossman641
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM

If your theory was correct...san diego, san fran, jets, gmen, pats, etc. would be listed.

How many times do players have to say that GB is not a desirable location based on lack of diversity, small town, etc....before you wake up?

Pretending that it is about taxes doesn't allow us to face the problem, and ultimately try addressing it and mitigating it.

Well, there is this whole global warming thing going on...Now GB just needs a shot of diversity (I'm sure Mobb can help) and for the city to grow.

Seriously, you are 100% right though. It has nothing to do with taxes, GB is just not an exciting place for a young rich athlete to live.

mission
11-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Taxes??!?!

That's hilarious...

I'm still laughing.

We've gone over this a million times here... same conclusion every time.

The Leaper
11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Green Bay is a very white, very blue collar town...it offers little excitement for most middle class people, let alone your typical NFL player.

However, I'm surprised we are that high on the list. I'd expect top 8...but ahead of Detroit or Cleveland?

gbgary
11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
Shocking. :roll:

Anybody with a brain knows that Wisco isn't desirable if you are young and have money, especially if you are black.

Milwaukee is always among the worst cities when polled among NBA players.

If you didn't grow up in wisco, it would hold no appeal. Just as various small towns in texas hold no appeal.

exactly!! that's why the Pack should be prepared to pay more, than the other teams, to get players. the fans and team management shouldn't gripe about it either. gotta do what ya gotta do get players.

MadScientist
11-30-2009, 10:43 AM
big coincidence that God told Reggie to go where the most money was being offered.

The lord works in mysterious ways :twisted:

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 11:15 AM
To be up there with four of the WORST teams in the NFL tells you everything you need to know. None of these young, mostly Black males wants to live around what they perceive to be racist/hick/redneck/cracka people. Even if the Packers are a playoff caliber team. Probably doesnt help that the GM is a cheapskate at times. Also doesnt help that the fatass coach is keeping his job while eating all the food at the team buffet table.

bobblehead
11-30-2009, 12:44 PM
To be up there with four of the WORST teams in the NFL tells you everything you need to know. None of these young, mostly Black males wants to live around what they perceive to be racist/hick/redneck/cracka people. Even if the Packers are a playoff caliber team. Probably doesnt help that the GM is a cheapskate at times. Also doesnt help that the fatass coach is keeping his job while eating all the food at the team buffet table.

Funny, I didn't see the poll broken down by race. I must have missed that part.

mission
11-30-2009, 01:18 PM

well what % of the NFL is black? I guess we can assume the same ratio/weighting in this poll. either way I agree with some that it's a surprise Detroit/Cleveland was "rated" higher than GB...

channtheman
11-30-2009, 02:02 PM

I'm always amazed by the rich young players that have to go out and go to these parties and shoot themselves or get involved in bad situations. Why did anyone ever think that giving a stupid person millions of dollars was a good idea?

LP
11-30-2009, 02:11 PM

That's good because I don't think anyone would want you here.

Freak Out
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM

That was a Gerry Cooney vs Larry Holmes low blow.

Pugger
11-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Have any of you seen the questions in this particular poll? A lot can be determined by how the questions are presented. What are the ages of these players? Are they black? Are they younger than, say, 25? I suppose a lot of black players would hesitate playing for a smallish midwestern city with a small minority population and not the most exciting night life. And a lot of players would rather play in a city with a better chance at making money on the side - besides doing local auto dealership commercials. I remember hearing Woodson wasn't all that wild about coming to GB. But once he got here and saw our facilities, etc., he is happy to be in Titletown. The best way to overcome these widespread misconceptions about GB is to get these young men to visit 1265 and see what we have to offer them. These players will go where the money is so it is a good thing we have a stockpile of cash reserves just in case there is no salary cap after the 2010 season.

gbgary
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM

well what % of the NFL is black? I guess we can assume the same ratio/weighting in this poll. either way I agree with some that it's a surprise Detroit/Cleveland was "rated" higher than GB...

those are metropolitan areas. no surprise to me.

mraynrand
11-30-2009, 03:10 PM

That was a Gerry Cooney vs Larry Holmes low blow.

I agree. Mobb seems to have a lot of hate in him. He shouldn't low blow Green Bay like that.

Brando19
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Many of the best NFL athletes ever were white.

bobblehead
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM

I don't have a clue what % of the NFL is black. I also don't have a clue as to how many blacks listed green bay low vs. how many white/other did. You guys are drawing ugly conclusions. The reason rich spoiled 22 year olds don't want to live in GB has virtually nothing to do with race I would wager....but a lot to do with it being small and unexciting.

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Yea in the 1920s... :lol:

Smidgeon
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM

And the 60s GB teams...

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:41 PM

I don't have a clue what % of the NFL is black. I also don't have a clue as to how many blacks listed green bay low vs. how many white/other did. You guys are drawing ugly conclusions. The reason rich spoiled 22 year olds don't want to live in GB has virtually nothing to do with race I would wager....but a lot to do with it being small and unexciting.

Agree with what your saying Bobble. People want to make it seem like only the black players dont want to come to GB. I don't see any white players rushing to get out of the bigger citys to sign with GB. As much as I love the Packers I think I would hate living there during the offseason as well.

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:43 PM

And the 60s GB teams...

Yea I'm just messing around since his response really had nothing to do with what MadtownPacker wrote.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM

Funny, I didn't see the poll broken down by race. I must have missed that part.Funny, I didn't see you pretending to be ignorant.

Last I checked the majority of players are Black. Not all but way more than half for sure.

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:50 PM

Has nothing to do with them thinking the fan base as "racist rednecks". Green Bay is just a boring place to live. Not saying its not a great place to raise a family but as a 23 year old male I have to admit if I was not a Green Bay fan why the hell would I want to live there over bigger cities?

Now with that being said once players do actually come to GB they love playing for the Packers because of the great fan base. You rarely hear players wanting to be traded from Green Bay.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Many of the best NFL athletes ever were white.Another Triscuit replying with a way out response caused by racial insecurity.

I am talking about right now, today, this day and age. Didn't say anything about being which players are the best or anything else. Just said the majority of NFL players are Black and IMO that may be why they would choose a winning franchise over NFL gutters like detroit or cleveland.

dont worry, there will always be White players in the NFL. Someone has to play QB. :lol: :lol:

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Funny, I didn't see the poll broken down by race. I must have missed that part.Funny, I didn't see you pretending to be ignorant.

Last I checked the majority of players are Black. Not all but way more than half for sure.

As of 2009 opening day rosters approximately 65% of NFL players are African-American, which includes players of "mixed-race" background as well as Samoan and Polynesian decent.

Might just seem like more since you don't really see the white players on the bench during the game. :lol:

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
dont worry, there will always be White players in the NFL. Someone has to play QB. :lol: :lol:

Don't forget about kickers and punters.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Has nothing to do with them thinking the fan base as "racist rednecks". Green Bay is just a boring place to live. Not saying its not a great place to raise a family but as a 23 year old male I have to admit if I was not a Green Bay fan why the hell would I want to live there over bigger cities?

Now with that being said once players do actually come to GB they love playing for the Packers because of the great fan base. You rarely hear players wanting to be traded from Green Bay.I dont think is the line of thinking for all but I believe it is the way many feel. Note that I said "perception" of racism. My two trips to GB where nothing but warm welcomes from just about everyone I met (and they where all White). I would be a liar if I didnt admit I was expecting some cold shoulder. Didnt happen other than this one bitch at the game sitting behind me but thats not bad in a stadium with 70,000 Whiteys. My point is that many who have never been close to GB or WI might think along the same lines.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
As of 2009 opening day rosters approximately 65% of NFL players are African-American, which includes players of "mixed-race" background as well as Samoan and Polynesian decent.

Might just seem like more since you don't really see the white players on the bench during the game. :lol:Man, sure doesnt seem that way watching the games. D might have a MLB, DL and S that is White. Offense would be the QB, a few OL, maybe the FB and of course the token White WR (Jordy :lol: ).

I guess that would be about 65%.

Brando19
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM

Many of the best NFL athletes ever were white.Another Triscuit replying with a way out response caused by racial insecurity.

I am talking about right now, today, this day and age. Didn't say anything about being which players are the best or anything else. Just said the majority of NFL players are Black and IMO that may be why they would choose a winning franchise over NFL gutters like detroit or cleveland.

Triscuit? I like that one. :lol: Gotta admit, it's hard not to root for Jordy Nelson. A white WR...that's like a unicorn running from bigfoot.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Green Bay is a very white, very blue collar town...it offers little excitement for most middle class people, let alone your typical NFL player.

However, I'm surprised we are that high on the list. I'd expect top 8...but ahead of Detroit or Cleveland?

both of those cities have more to do than GB. And, Detroit, despite a crappy org has a strong black community. Perhaps you've heard of a little business called MoTown Records. :wink:

bobblehead
11-30-2009, 08:35 PM

And again, for all you know the blacks rated it higher than the whites so race has NOTHING to do with the ratings. Like I said, its not broken down by race so your ugly conclusion is based on your bias and nothing else.

bobblehead
11-30-2009, 08:40 PM

Might just seem like more since you don't really see the white players on the bench during the game. :lol:Man, sure doesnt seem that way watching the games. D might have a MLB, DL and S that is White. Offense would be the QB, a few OL, maybe the FB and of course the token White WR (Jordy :lol: ).

The packers have 10 of 22 starters white (If the white FB is starting). This is higher than 35% therefore I believe you are right mad...Black dudes just don't want to come to GB. :shock:

get louder at lambeau
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM
Players don't want to come to GB, or NO ONE wants to come to GB?

As of 2009, Green Bay's population is 100,781 people. Since 2000, it has had a population growth of -1.92 percent.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Green_Bay-Wisconsin.aspx

Tyrone Bigguns
11-30-2009, 08:44 PM

And again, for all you know the blacks rated it higher than the whites so race has NOTHING to do with the ratings. Like I said, its not broken down by race so your ugly conclusion is based on your bias and nothing else.

Pretending it isn't an issue doesn't make you right.

The facts are the facts..and we have REPEATED examples of black players ON THE RECORD not wanting to play in GB.

It wasn't by accident that Wolf instituted a different food for the training table...southern style/soul food, brought in a barber that knew how to cut black men's hair, etc.

It must be nice to live in your fantasy world...it is just coincidence that minorities don't live in GB.

Tyrone Bigguns
11-30-2009, 08:49 PM

The packers have 10 of 22 starters white (If the white FB is starting). This is higher than 35% therefore I believe you are right mad...Black dudes just don't want to come to GB. :shock:

Don't be an ass.

You are smart enough to know that anyone with a brain can see that your facts have a whole wide enough to drive a bus through them.

And, why do you list starters..why is that?

Clue: How many of those black players arrived through free agency?

mraynrand
11-30-2009, 08:55 PM
It wasn't by accident that Wolf instituted a different food for the training table...southern style/soul food, brought in a barber that knew how to cut black men's hair, etc.

I thought Holmgren was responsible for that.

I am stunned this thread continues for 3 pages. The reasons players don't want to come to GB are consistent and legendary. If you grew up in a black community in the South and were asked if you wanted to play in an small town all-white place in the very cold north, what would you say? If you came from a bigger metro area regardless of your color, where would you want to go? If you wanted to live near a metro area with lots of entertainment options, would you want to live in GB? In the realm of 'mysteries of the sporting world' the desire of NFL players to be anywhere other than GB is about as mysterious as what happens when you let go of a ball. Even so, just because players prefer to play elsewhere doesn't mean they won't play in GB, play well, and like it there OK. Just don't be so absurdly foolish to think that GB isn't generally unattractive to young men in college or playing in the NFL. It would be interesting to poll the general public and see how they compare. I bet it would be pretty close to the football players.

P.S. this thread sucks

Brando19
11-30-2009, 08:58 PM
If only black people don't wanna play in Green Bay...does that mean Ryan Longwell is black? :lol:

MJZiggy
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
If only black people don't wanna play in Green Bay...does that mean Ryan Longwell is black? :lol:

Yes. But it's a secret. Don't tell his wife.

Badgerinmaine
11-30-2009, 09:07 PM
And, Detroit, despite a crappy org has a strong black community. Perhaps you've heard of a little business called MoTown Records. :wink:
Why, yes, I have heard of Motown Records. I believe they moved to Los Angeles about 35 years ago. :-)

Brandon494
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM

Oh his wife knows, just don't tell her dad.

MJZiggy
11-30-2009, 09:11 PM

Oh his wife knows, just don't tell her dad. :lol: :lol:

MichiganPackerFan
12-01-2009, 08:23 AM

Im not sure I agree with this, but I'm sure it has some affect?

What are the individual tax rates in WI?

It also matters what the rates are in MN, IL & MI because in general, a Packers player's W-2 income would be taxed 1/2 to WI, 1/16 to IL, 1/16 to MN and 1/16 to MI each year and the remainder to where the last 5 away games are played, 1/16th each. Playoffs may distort those percentages too. Investment income would generally taxed to state of residence, but there may be some sourcing rules.

ThunderDan
12-01-2009, 08:34 AM

It also matters what the rates are in MN, IL & MI because in general, a Packers player's W-2 income would be taxed 1/2 to WI, 1/16 to IL, 1/16 to MN and 1/16 to MI each year and the remainder to where the last 5 away games are played, 1/16th each. Playoffs may distort those percentages too. Investment income would generally taxed to state of residence, but there may be some sourcing rules.

MPF-

I know you work at a CPA firm but be careful with your advise.

Any income earned by a Wisconsin resident is taxable in the state of WI no matter where it was earned. WI gives a credit back for taxes paid to other states. We also have reciprocity IL and MN and maybe MI but I am too lazy this morning to look that up.

WI tax rate is 6.75% for high income folk. Plus our 5+% sales tax.

MichiganPackerFan
12-01-2009, 08:43 AM

MPF-

Any income earned by a Wisconsin resident is taxable in the state of WI no matter where it was earned. WI gives a credit back for taxes paid to other states. We also have reciprocity IL and MN and maybe MI but I am too lazy this morning to look that up.

NO ADVICE GIVEN. (Thus the "in general" disclaimer!) Residency could be a tricky issue for sure. Regardless if it is a credit given for taxes paid or apportioning of income before, the result is roughly the same. However, the reciprocity is a definite thing to consider. I know there are substantial cases covering athletes and their income does tend to be spread out to multiple states. I haven't done personal returns in years, so my comments are simply scratching the surface of the issue.

ThunderDan
12-01-2009, 09:03 AM

MPF-

NO ADVICE GIVEN. (Thus the "in general" disclaimer!) Residency could be a tricky issue for sure. Regardless if it is a credit given for taxes paid or apportioning of income before, the result is roughly the same. However, the reciprocity is a definite thing to consider. I know there are substantial cases covering athletes and their income does tend to be spread out to multiple states. I haven't done personal returns in years, so my comments are simply scratching the surface of the issue.

Try dealing with a Poker Pro who wins money all over the world! Yeah, yeah, that's a great 20 hour project to make sure income isn't double tax at home or abroad.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2009, 08:07 PM
didn't think this thread could get any worse. Ty was wrong.

Accountants discussing accounting. Ugh.

ThunderDan
12-01-2009, 08:09 PM
didn't think this thread could get any worse. Ty was wrong.

Accountants discussing accounting. Ugh.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I PMed after to save you from more.

HowardRoark
12-01-2009, 08:26 PM
Taxes??!?!

That's hilarious...

I'm still laughing.

We've gone over this a million times here... same conclusion every time.

Is the conclusion that pro players are taxed at the state rate everytime they play a game in a given state regardless of where they live?

edit: sorry, didn't work my way down to the CPA discussion.

bobblehead
12-01-2009, 08:30 PM

The facts are the facts..and we have REPEATED examples of black players ON THE RECORD not wanting to play in GB.

It must be nice to live in your fantasy world...it is just coincidence that minorities don't live in GB.

Ty, I honestly believe that race issues don't play into how most players answered this, the fact that it is a small boring town is the factor. I'm not pretending when I say I don't think its an issue.

bobblehead
12-01-2009, 08:31 PM

Don't be an ass.

You are smart enough to know that anyone with a brain can see that your facts have a whole wide enough to drive a bus through them.

And, why do you list starters..why is that?

Clue: How many of those black players arrived through free agency?

Yes, the facts were meant to drive a bus through, I was being sarcastic. See my above post for a serious response.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2009, 09:30 PM

Ty, I honestly believe that race issues don't play into how most players answered this, the fact that it is a small boring town is the factor. I'm not pretending when I say I don't think its an issue.

I know you don't. But, that is being naive. It is a boring town, but you are being blind if you don't think no soul food/type of food you grew up with, no community, no barber, no clothing, etc...doesn't play a part.

You know the old cliche..birds of a feather...well, it has truth to it. People like to be around themselves. Look at this country..and immigrants..when they moved here. Irish lived with irish, italians with italians, etc.

Until you are a minority you will have a hard time understanding that....not a diss, but it is the truth.

HowardRoark
12-01-2009, 09:37 PM
.....no barber....

What's the deal with this anyway? I was going by a hair place last Saturday night around 6:30 pm downtown Minneapolis and it was FULL of black people. Is this a social gathering place in their culture? They were having things done to their hair, so it's not as though they were just sitting around bullshitting.

I would never think of going out on a Sarurday night to get my hair cut. But, then again, I am white.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2009, 09:45 PM
.....no barber....

What's the deal with this anyway? I was going by a hair place last Saturday night around 6:30 pm downtown Minneapolis and it was FULL of black people. Is this a social gathering place in their culture? They were having things done to their hair, so it's not as though they were just sitting around bullshitting.

I would never think of going out on a Sarurday night to get my hair cut. But, then again, I am white.

1. you have to have a barber that knows how to cut black hair, do the styles, and cut those cool ass figures in hair.
2. From the black guys i've known, they tend to keep it short..so it gets "unruly" quickly. They like to get it trimmed/touched up more often than most folks. But, if you think about the 50s..guys use to get a trim once a week or every other week. Ty has often been astonished when a black friend would comment on needing to tighten up their do...yet, i couldn't see it at all.
3. Traditionally, the barbershop was a meeting place, yes, a social gathering place..where news, gossip, etc. was exchanged.

If you think about it, you have probably heard college players talk about which teammate gives them cuts. That is usually cos there isn't a black barber in the town...or they can't afford to keep going as often as they want.

Partial
12-01-2009, 10:20 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
12-02-2009, 10:48 AM

I know you don't. But, that is being naive. It is a boring town, but you are being blind if you don't think no soul food/type of food you grew up with, no community, no barber, no clothing, etc...doesn't play a part.

You know the old cliche..birds of a feather...well, it has truth to it. People like to be around themselves. Look at this country..and immigrants..when they moved here. Irish lived with irish, italians with italians, etc.

Until you are a minority you will have a hard time understanding that....not a diss, but it is the truth.

It is a well known fact that white people like boring towns better than black people do. This is simply because most white people are more boring than black people.

mraynrand
12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
It is a well known fact that white people like boring towns better than black people do. This is simply because most white people are more boring than black people.

The exception that proves the rule:

http://www.filmmonkey.com/Portals/0/thejerk1.jpg

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 01:26 AM
None of those poll results are surprising at all:

1) If Snake was a young buck with cash (wait...I am, WTF?)...I'd want to get into the clubs (Snake still does do that). GB has nothing to offer. I've been there. Chicks pale compared to the Cali and Vegas clubs I go to several times yearly on vacation. Not even close.
2) GB is cold as hell. Snake still aspires to move to the West Coast (great climate). The cold sucks. It really does.
3) TT is a great talent evaluator, but looks stingy as piss. He ups his own guys with contracts, but doesn't do shit (Woodson and Pickett were deals for him) for FA's. That's why they spurn us. And no prob. there as that's why our cap is healthy, but the hell if some guy wanting to get some cash as a FA considers GB under TT. He'll never pay market value....and that's not a diss on TT, but only on prospective outlooks as a FA on TT.

Basically, not surprising, but it's mostly on TT being a tight ass with talent/money. That's good for us fans, but every FA knows that TT won't overpay some cash...he pays his own. Good for us...bad for FA's. Not really a big deal. He's a good GM. I'd rather offer/get moderate deals with our own prospective FA's than offer mega-deals to other team's FA "stars" in this market. How did that Haynesworth deal pay off for the winner Redskins, for ex.? Food for thought.....

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 08:41 AM

Define boring. I'm not boring...

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 08:57 AM

I enjoy boring.

HowardRoark
12-05-2009, 09:03 AM

I enjoy boring.

This is why no one discusses boring things with you.

pbmax
12-05-2009, 09:08 AM
3) TT is a great talent evaluator, but looks stingy as piss. He ups his own guys with contracts, but doesn't do shit (Woodson and Pickett were deals for him) for FA's.
Pickett's deal was completed while fighting with another team's offer (Buffalo maybe?). Woodson got more money than anyone else was offering at the time, in fact the most common remark (other than "injury") about the signing was "overpaid".

mission
12-05-2009, 09:13 AM
3) TT is a great talent evaluator, but looks stingy as piss. He ups his own guys with contracts, but doesn't do shit (Woodson and Pickett were deals for him) for FA's.
Pickett's deal was completed while fighting with another team's offer (Buffalo maybe?). Woodson got more money than anyone else was offering at the time, in fact the most common remark (other than "injury") about the signing was "overpaid".

Yeah, well have you read the top story on JSO Packers??? Kinda sad imo... Im assuming he just knows a lot that we don't (TT).

bobblehead
12-05-2009, 09:15 AM

From what I've learned in this thread.....White. J/K, boring is small towns with no clubs, no real night life, Minimal diversity of restaurants, etc. Hell, my home town didn't even have a gym when I was growing up.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 09:19 AM
Pickett's deal was completed while fighting with another team's offer (Buffalo maybe?). Woodson got more money than anyone else was offering at the time, in fact the most common remark (other than "injury") about the signing was "overpaid".The Rams wanted Pickett back. He chose us instead.

Fritz
12-05-2009, 11:55 AM

No, you're not. But you're not white.

get louder at lambeau
12-05-2009, 05:00 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkrHYHqChlI&feature=related

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 05:10 PM

I'm not? Did I turn green? It's not easy being green, you know.

red
12-05-2009, 05:13 PM

i don't remember woodson having any other serious offers

he was signed very late in free agency

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Apparently TT's a fairly good judge of who to want.

Bossman641
12-05-2009, 07:42 PM

If I remember right, it came down to us and the Bucs. Don't know what they offered contract wise, but I think Woodson's beef with TB is that they wanted to use him at safety. He was promised he would get to to play CB here and be a playmaker (and boy has he).

Rastak
12-05-2009, 08:36 PM

If I remember right, it came down to us and the Bucs. Don't know what they offered contract wise, but I think Woodson's beef with TB is that they wanted to use him at safety. He was promised he would get to to play CB here and be a playmaker (and boy has he).

Bossman nails it.

DonHutson
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Most of the guys like it well enough once they're on the team, and that's where 95% of our free agent signings come from anyway.

Bossman641
12-06-2009, 08:34 PM
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091206/PKR01/91206028/1058/PKR01/Perception-vs.-reality--Life-in-Green-Bay

Packerarcher
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
Wether they want to come to GB or not,a good GM and front office finds ways to MAKE them want to come.

Bossman641
12-06-2009, 10:38 PM
Wether they want to come to GB or not,a good GM and front office finds ways to MAKE them want to come.

LOL. Meaning what exactly?

esoxx
12-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Grey Goose and strippers, for starters.

gbgary
12-06-2009, 10:49 PM

in Green Bays case it'll mean they have to over-pay some...and that's fine. whatever it takes.

Bossman641
12-06-2009, 10:52 PM

in Green Bays case it'll mean they have to over-pay some...and that's fine. whatever it takes.

Right, except that is not sustainable. And even overpaying, I'm not sure you could get some guys to come.

MJZiggy
12-06-2009, 10:54 PM

Right, except that is not sustainable. And even overpaying, I'm not sure you could get some guys to come.
There may be some who won't, but remember once they get here, they usually want to stay.

gbgary
12-06-2009, 11:05 PM

There may be some who won't, but remember once they get here, they usually want to stay.

no more free agents than the Packers actually go for, it wouldn't be a problem. :D