PDA

View Full Version : Brett Favre prepares with prep team - in HATTIESBURG, Miss.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 09:33 AM
July 27, 2006

Favre prepares with prep team

By Stan Caldwell
Gannett News Service

— Once Brett Favre decided to come back for a 16th season as the Green Bay Packers' quarterback, he showed he was serious about being in shape.

Favre, who today reports to the Packers' training camp in Green Bay, has spent almost every morning for the past three weeks working out with players from Oak Grove High School.

He's thrown passes to the Warriors' wide receivers and given their quarterbacks tips on how to improve as they prepare for the 2006 season.

"I'm helping myself out," Favre said. "I've been doing a lot of running with these guys. I've run more and thrown more in the last three weeks than I have in recent memory."

Favre lives in the Oak Grove area during the offseason, and his daughter, Brittany, will be a senior at Oak Grove this fall, so he has an attachment to the Warriors.

Oak Grove coach Nevil Barr said it was "special for the kids" to have Favre on hand.

"This is a chance for him to run with them and to throw with them, and it's helped us. We did what we would have done anyway; we just had Brett Favre throwing the ball," he said.

Naturally, the Oak Grove quarterbacks taking part in the team's voluntary workouts enjoyed it.

"It was a blast, a great experience," senior Kirk Lance said. "Any time you get to throw with Brett Favre, it's fun. I felt like a little kid out there."

Lance said the most important thing he got from working with Favre was a sense of mental preparation.

"It wasn't just fundamentals," Lance said. "It was just a lot of mental stuff about what it takes to get to the next level."

Lance completed 148 of 258 passes (57.4 percent) for 2,883 yards and 31 touchdowns in leading Oak Grove to a 12-1 record and a berth in the Class 5A South State finals.

"He threw for more yards and more touchdowns than I did last year, so maybe I should get some pointers from him," Favre said.

Actually, Favre threw for more yards, 3,881, but he had only 20 touchdowns and he threw a league-high 29 interceptions last season.

Improving on those numbers played a big part in his decision to get some extra work in before training camp starts Friday night in Green Bay.

"It's been good for me," Favre said. "I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and it wasn't a big deal for the kids, either. I didn't try to put my style of play on them. They have their own way of doing things, and they're pretty good at it."

Oak Grove is 53-14 in Barr's five seasons as coach, and using the kind of help Favre can provide has been part of that success.

"It was exciting being able to work with him," junior Drew Norwood said. "He gave us a lot of pointers, a lot of little things that I can use, such as how to get the ball out quicker.

"Just watching him throw, and knowing he's played in the NFL and done good in the NFL. Just to watch him was amazing."

comment:

That's OUR Boy ! Two more Year's - Brett !!

Badgepack
07-28-2006, 09:37 AM
How cool would that be?

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 09:43 AM
It's been good for me," Favre said. "I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, and it wasn't a big deal for the kids, either...."

Yeah, right. Those kids'll remember this the rest of their lives.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 09:55 AM
How cool would that be?

Alot of that, will come down to how well T2 anf Mike Mccarthy handle things in TC, and into the season.

ALL eyes are focused on them. Mine certainly are. How they deal with Favre and how well he responds to change.

In life - it's never one way.

I am going to be all over this watch - like too much sweat down below. I only want things to be on the up and up.

I already have seen signs from articles just placed on OUR forum, that T2 is going to take a similiar approach toword's using Brett Favre in TC.

Brett and Ahman Green as I viewed it, were underused in TC in 2005, with over the top focus on what Aaron Rodgers had. Craig Nall was basically ignored. That sucked in my view.

We now know more of what Aaron Rodgers has ( not nearly enough to date).

I see what I see, and read pretty well. I want to see the Rookie Ingle Martin given a real shot at back-up QB ,not Aaron Rodgers handed that spot - as he was last year in TC. That was absolute crap !

Head Coach Mike Mccarthy said TC will be about competition. I'm holding him to his word.

The first objective has to be to discover the BEST 53 - man Roster.

Alot of focus has to be placed on ST's.

T2 has to be all over 'the wire', heads up and ready to snap up any prospect that is cut and can possibly help us. he has to react faster than what I'm seeing in his personality. He has to be a little more 'out there' if you get my meaning - on the DAM ball.

I am a fair man. I love my team. I'm for my fellow fans - first.

I will not hesitate to say YES . . . or say NO !

GO Packers !

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 10:00 AM
This is where I see Brett after retirement....coaching H.S. football. I don't see him as the sports analyst type.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:03 AM
This is where I see Brett after retirement....coaching H.S. football. I don't see him as the sports analyst type.

Good Morning GBMichele:

Please read my post above and if you can - comment on it.

Otherwise, have a nice day.

GO PACKERS !

Partial
07-28-2006, 10:03 AM
What a great guy. Those high schoolers are never going to forget that. This is kind of thing I wish more athletes would do, go above and beyond the call of duty. This is the kind of thing that wins seriously PR points for Favre and shows his character

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:08 AM
What a great guy. Those high schoolers are never going to forget that. This is kind of thing I wish more athletes would do, go above and beyond the call of duty. This is the kind of thing that wins seriously PR points for Favre and shows his character

Brett Favre is an awesome person - ALL ROUND.

We are so fortunate to still have him; another season he's tossing it all in there.

I hope that those in POWER don't let him down like last season.

GBRulz
07-28-2006, 10:09 AM

Good Morning GBMichele:

GO PACKERS !

Um, I did Wood. He is working with a HS team and I pointed out that he loves doing that type of thing and that is where i see him after he retires...working with HS kids.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e189/gbrulz/untitled-2.jpg

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Buck just can't handle the idea of Brett's eventual retirement...

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:39 AM
[quote=GBMichele]This is where I see Brett after retirement....coaching H.S. football. I don't see him as the sports analyst type.

Good Morning GBMichele:

GO PACKERS !

" Um, I did Wood. He is working with a HS team and I pointed out that he loves doing that type of thing and that is where i see him after he retires...working with HS kids. " GBMichele

Wrong post . . . .

GBMichele the post where I comment on the way TC was handled in 2005 and my criticisms of what I saw.

Critique that post please.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Buck just can't handle the idea of Brett's eventual retirement...

Hey MJ!

Wearing your T2 hat today :?: :mrgreen:

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 10:53 AM
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding you today, Buck, but if I've read your 2005 post correctly, you're gonna be one sad puppy by the end of training camp. According to M3, if and when Ahman is cleared to practice, they will use him very lightly so as not to risk reinjury and Brett's still on a pitch count so we will see more of Aaron Rodgers than you are likely to be happy with. M3 does not want Brett worn out before the season starts so since he's the coach, that's the way it will be.

No Mo Moss
07-28-2006, 11:20 AM
Michele I love your button Hahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!

THIS IS WHO YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT RIGHT?
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/killoran25/zucchini.jpg

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
I'm not quite sure I'm understanding you today, Buck, but if I've read your 2005 post correctly, you're gonna be one sad puppy by the end of training camp. According to M3, if and when Ahman is cleared to practice, they will use him very lightly so as not to risk reinjury and Brett's still on a pitch count so we will see more of Aaron Rodgers than you are likely to be happy with. M3 does not want Brett worn out before the season starts so since he's the coach, that's the way it will be.

We are afterall talking about Brett Favre and despite the little work he received last season in TC . He still came out "with guns a blazing"- even though we fell way back in OUR record after seven games at 1-6.

It's not all about playing Brett Favre for Brett Favre, rather allowing him to work with the best offence, so things like execution (timing on plays) are well drilled. We don't need a whole lot more of what Aaron Rodgers has demonstrated to us and yet, he still deserves a solid chance to grow.

It's not a cut and block situation but one of what's best for 'the Packers' this season.

Favre and his arm and saving that is baloney, that we don't nor shouldn't buy into. Favre's arm is still solid. Dam he's been working out as the top of the thread demonstrates.

I realize that Ahman Green has to be at 100% health, as does Davenport, but if that is the case. Then especially, Ahman Green has to get lots of real work, especially given, we have the ZBS. The entire Offence that includes OUR #1 QB (Brett Favre) has to run that Offence - not Aaron Rodgers. That is objective common sense reasoning MJ.

Where do you disagree with this MJ?

By the way MJ. I am fully prepared for Brett Favre to retire, but not before it's time. that is his decision. I will say this also. Without intending immodesty.

I am about as much in tune with the present day Packers, as most dedicated Packer fans. I don't miss very much of what is happening. As a fan here I observe and report my feelings and offer suggestions for the present and future of my beloved Team. The PACKERS.

I must do, just that as a Packer fan.

Be straight up - on board in nothing else but what is best for OUR Team. I am not all knowing, and certainly wrestle with this challenge to be fair and accountable as a Packer fan.

We can ill afford a TC that left us so ill prepared for "the Lions" last season - for this season and "the Bears". It was way too much "joy and Oh Boy" in terms of Aaron Rodgers.

We were not ready for the 2005 season, as a result of an improper focus in the 2005 TC, and I will not be pleased if it's that way - again this TC.

T2 has to show me - that he learned from that error.

We need the BEST offence and that means Brett Favre and the #1 offence on the field in Exhibition games more.

At least, for more than one quarter!

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Buck you really, honestly think that Brett needs the practice? This is not about him "still having guns" it's about reducing the possibility of a flare up of tendonitis in his throwing elbow. Just because he can play through pain doesn't mean he should. Are you further suggesting to me that Aaron Rodgrers doesn't need the practice? He is, after all, the guy who has to take over for Brett should he need to leave a game for any reason. Do you want someone running your #1 team that has not worked with them? Training camp is where you're supposed to go and improve.

As to Ahman, if they push him and he reruptures that leg he will be done for the season if not done, period. I don't care if they're running a new offense, he knows how to find a hole and run through it. The longer he has to heal and the less stress he puts on that muscle in training camp, the stronger he will be when it comes time to take on the Bears. I think that's what M3 is thinking. You can complain to us all you want, but really, what good would it do. It's not like M3 reads this forum. He kinda has other things to do right now. :mrgreen:

Badgepack
07-28-2006, 11:57 AM
[quote="woodbuck27
We can ill afford a TC that left us so ill prepared for "the Lions" last season - for this season and "the Bears". It was way too much "joy and Oh Boy" in terms of Aaron Rodgers.
We were not ready for the 2005 season, as a result of an improper focus in the 2005 TC, and I will not be pleased if it's that way - again this TC.
T2 has to show me - that he learned from that error.[/quote]

Woodbuck, I agreen totally with this, but I would put it more on Mike Sherman, so maybe M3 will have the Pack ready to play. We sucked in pre-season and early season games more than just last year.

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 12:23 PM
MJ:

Mike Mccarthy has one thing to do, to concentrate on, along with his coaching staff. To prepare OUR team to fullfill the wish of every Packer fan on this board.

To have a succesful season, by whatever standards as individuals here wish for. So many on this Forum, are far more optimistic about OUR success than I am. I am a conservative by nature, but also progressive in my ideals.

I am not content with another 4-12 ! Success in my view for "the Packers" -will be 8 wins.

If Favre falls, we have to deal with Aaron Rodgers. Yes, I expect that will "in fact" be the case; and YES he needs to be well acquainted with OUR Offence.

Yes, Brett Favre has the seasoning and the smarts to pick up OUR new Offence - but even he admits that it won't be easy, or it hasn't been and Brett Favre certainly isn't a complainer. He's as down to earth as it gets in my view of PRO athletes.

To argue that Aaron Rodgers deserves the Lions share of the QB duties just to be ready to step in - if Favre falls - is akin to anticipating disaster. As fans of OUR team, I suggest - that isn't a focus we need to take - as fans of a potentially successful team. We need to focus on preparing the BEST Packer Team.

That speaks clearly of Favre getting the Lions share of work in TC ,with the BEST offence and not Aaron Rodgers and as McCarthy and Favre agree on. Of course, Mike McCarthy won't burn out Brett Favre, but Favre has always demonstrated incredible strength's and this season will not show us anything less in that department Ziggy.

The team has to be prepared adequately for 'the Bears". that means the offence has to be ready.That means that we need OUR BEST to play and unite as a unit.

Does that not = Brett Favre as the #1 QB in TC and not = Aaron Rodgers? Ziggy?

The focus has to be on winning more in 2006. Given all we have seen that will not happen if Favre falls as Aaron Rodgers isn't ready and may never be ready. That is what I see too clearly.

Something else Ziggy.

Please - don't try to make this about me trying to convince the rest of the forum to be as concerned as I am. I am certainly not writing my posts to Mike McCarthy. I'm merely using my rights to express my views. My status here is the same as yours. As an equal - and I never maintain an agenda to win any DAM popularity contest.

I am just as I am. Me. I modestly deserve only some decency in the form of common not unusual respect. I never want to be one of the insiders and I could care less who enjoys me Vs. those who oppose my views.

They are mine (views) and I will OWN them. Live on and grow in them.

Ed.

GO Packers !

MJZiggy
07-28-2006, 12:34 PM
So, I need to make sure I am understanding you clearly. You want Brett to throw with the first team continually, thereby inflaming the tendonitis in his throwing elbow so that when the regular season rolls around, he will be in a lot of pain and less able to perform and perhaps even have to sit out to be replaced by someone who had no practice running the offense?

woodbuck27
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
So, I need to make sure I am understanding you clearly. You want Brett to throw with the first team continually, thereby inflaming the tendonitis in his throwing elbow so that when the regular season rolls around, he will be in a lot of pain and less able to perform and perhaps even have to sit out to be replaced by someone who had no practice running the offense?

Please ! Read - READ my post Ziggy.

Your more intelligent than that response.

Come on Ziggy. Please give the I want to win a debate thing here a rest, and be fair to yourself - read and interpret what I posted last.

OHHHH KAAAA ! :mrgreen:

Deputy Nutz
07-28-2006, 12:44 PM
High School Football Player, "Coach Favre can I get a dip from ya?"

Coach Favre, "you gonna tell your parents?"

HSFP, "No Sir"

CF, "Ok, hope you like cherry."