PDA

View Full Version : There he goes again! Stubby really means it this time...

Maxie the Taxi
11-30-2009, 04:59 PM
From Stubby's press conference of today. Any of this sound familiar?

(These next four games you could call the winter part of the schedule. Is there anything that tells you how effective you might be in the conditions?)
Well, running the football and stopping the run, practicing outside definitely helps. This is Green Bay Packer football. It's playing in December. We feel we're talented on the perimeter but it starts up front. This is the time of the year where people have to run the football and stop the run and be productive with all of the aspects of the game that come off of stopping the run and running the football, so that will be our focus.

(The special teams coverage units rank near the bottom. Why so many struggles and can that get turned around?)
The coverage units are something that have played at a very high level, and it's the one or two that break out a game, and that obviously shows up in the statistics. If you look at the last three games, and that's kind of where it gives your team a truer sense of where you are, I thought the Dallas game we played extremely well. I thought San Francisco we played very well, except for the one that came out. Then we did some things in the Detroit game that you cannot do. We'll correct that, but we have the people here to do it. I'm very confident in our scheme and how we approach it, and our special teams will be a big factor going down the stretch here.

(Is there any area you really think you need to pick it up a notch?)
It's really like I have already said. There are some positive things that we have done as a football team. We have to make sure that we continue to work at those and make sure that they show up in the games. Our turnover ratio is something we spend a lot of time in, taking care of the football and taking it away. That has to be something that we win week in and week out. Stopping the run, running the football, covering the football, those are the things that we need to focus on because to me those are big factors in being successful. We'll continue to work at those. We have an extra day of practice this week and we're going to spend that on the fundamentals of our play.

Yes, Stubby has been running the ball more and I think it has helped the team succeed in the past few games. (I'd like to see more, but that's another thread.)

Question: Will Stubby continue to run the ball, maybe even more in the next few weeks? Or is all this just wishful thinking, politically correct mumbo-jumbo? Or maybe just blowing smoke up Baltimore's ass?

The Ravens are ranked 12th in pass defense and 6th in rushing defense.

The Bears are 14th against the pass and 24th against the rush.

Pittsburgh is 13th against the pass and 1st against the rush.

Seattle is 25th against the pass and 18th against the rush.

Arizona is 29th against the pass and 14th against the rush.

The next five games will be very telling, for the Packers as a team and for Stubby as a head coach, especially the games against the Ravens and the Steelers.

I predict Stubby's talk is nothing but hot air and that Rodgers right arm will be mighty mighty sore by the time the season ends.

As for the "We'll correct that," comment...I think he really, really means it this time.

MadtownPacker
11-30-2009, 05:09 PM
This kind of talk from McFatty gets me worried about the Ravens game. He should just put the playback down and step away. This team has been winning in spite of him not because of him.

Can someone put a sandwich in his face so he can fix his hunger instead?

gbgary
11-30-2009, 07:22 PM
i don't like it when we get run happy. mm will call six runs in a row if the first one is good. we've been a pass first offense since majik, hell, probably since lynn dickey, and that's the way the rest of the league is too. running is important but it's secondary to passing. mix it up but not a 50/50 mix. 60/40, maybe 65/35, pass/run.

bobblehead
11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
From Stubby's press conference of today. Any of this sound familiar?

(These next four games you could call the winter part of the schedule. Is there anything that tells you how effective you might be in the conditions?)
Well, running the football and stopping the run, practicing outside definitely helps. This is Green Bay Packer football. It's playing in December. We feel we're talented on the perimeter but it starts up front. This is the time of the year where people have to run the football and stop the run and be productive with all of the aspects of the game that come off of stopping the run and running the football, so that will be our focus.

OMG...Did he really say practicing outside....My hopes and dreams of the man learning at his age have been realized.

Maxie the Taxi
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
i don't like it when we get run happy. mm will call six runs in a row if the first one is good. we've been a pass first offense since majik, hell, probably since lynn dickey, and that's the way the rest of the league is too. running is important but it's secondary to passing. mix it up but not a 50/50 mix. 60/40, maybe 65/35, pass/run.

I hear where you're coming from. My theory is that rushing early helps the passing game by drawing eight men into the box and making play action more effective, thus taking some pass blocking pressure off the OL. I'd prefer MM rush the ball until the other team demonstrates it can stop the run. (That might not be too hard for the Ravens to do.)

PlantPage55
12-01-2009, 05:40 PM
I don't understand what else anyone wants McCarthy to say...

sharpe1027
12-01-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't understand what else anyone wants McCarthy to say...
[/sarcasm on]
I'm sure he spent most of the week preparing thoughtful remarks for the reporters.
[/sarcasm off]

These press conferences are virtually useless. Coaches mostly do them because they are forced into it.

CaliforniaCheez
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
When it is crunch time you should do the things you do best.

I believe the Packers passing game can set up the run, not the other way around.