PDA

View Full Version : Something that bothered me last night

packers11
12-01-2009, 09:31 AM
Watching the pats/saints game, I saw both Mike McKenzie and chris mcalister both playing very well for the Saints. The packers are very thin at CB at the moment, why wouldn't T.T. look @ 1 of these players (considering they both got picked up last week).

1 of them would be an upgrade over bush. imo.

Thoughts?

Waldo
12-01-2009, 09:37 AM
McAlister was signed when Al was still healthy. Scratch him off the list.

McKenzie napalmed his way out of GB. He might be the player in the league least likely to play for the Pack. Especially since he was similar to Tausher, injured and recovering, the team wanted him back when he was ready to play. If you think that any other team had a serious chance to steal him away from NO, you apparently haven't looked at NO's record.

mraynrand
12-01-2009, 09:40 AM
http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=19465&start=40

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I'll tell ya what bothered me. Sean Payton has got a team that is no more talented on paper then us...fired up! Taking guys off the street and plugging them in and having them play like all pros. That teams success is coming from the sidelines..our mediocrity is coming from ours.

Waldo
12-01-2009, 11:13 AM
I'll tell ya what bothered me. Sean Payton has got a team that is no more talented on paper then us...fired up! Taking guys off the street and plugging them in and having them play like all pros. That teams success is coming from the sidelines..our mediocrity is coming from ours.

It is terrible how much the 7-4 Packers suck.

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Mediocre does not equal suck. The Bears suck, we're mediocre.

get louder at lambeau
12-01-2009, 11:45 AM

It sure is.

Sean Peyton has 2 more wins than McCarthy over the same time period, and an identical playoff record. I can't believe Mark Murphy is tolerating these stooges who are destroying our franchise! Fire them all! :cry:

Administrator
12-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Isn't this a bit of an over-reaction? 7-4 doesn't mean suck, but really, outside of the Dallas game have they played anyone with a good record and looked convincing doing it?

This team has a ways to go to be considered a "good team" in my book. Maybe they'll start that trend this week.

sharpe1027
12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Isn't this a bit of an over-reaction? 7-4 doesn't mean suck, but really, outside of the Dallas game have they played anyone with a good record and looked convincing doing it?

This team has a ways to go to be considered a "good team" in my book. Maybe they'll start that trend this week.

Well, looking at it the other way around, two of their losses are to a 10-1 team.

IMO, 7-4 is 7-4.

pbmax
12-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Emotion will not carry a team past a few plays. Many players have made this point as have coaches. They had a good game, and that success led to more enthusiasm as the game wore on. Don't you find it odd that there is always more enthusiasm on the winning sideline than the losing one? It hardly seems a predictor of success.

Like Mike McKenzie, who was released last spring and couldn't make the Seahawks roster during a tryout this summer, they had a great game. Time will tell if it will continue. I did read last night night that based on W-L records this year, the Saints have faced a top five schedule and the Vikings (and possibly the Packers) are at the bottom.

bobblehead
12-01-2009, 12:23 PM

Doesn't count, doesn't count. I'm so sick of arguments that discount things so the argument can't be made to look stupid. We flat out PUNKED the cowboys and you somehow want to discount it. We have the #1 ranked defense, but it doesn't count either. We have a top 10 offense....doesn't count cuz we are the only team to play bad teams and you can't actually count when we played good teams. Horrible argument.

mraynrand
12-01-2009, 12:28 PM

improper coding
sarcasm detector installation failed

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Emotion will not carry a team past a few plays. Many players have made this point as have coaches. They had a good game, and that success led to more enthusiasm as the game wore on. Don't you find it odd that there is always more enthusiasm on the winning sideline than the losing one? It hardly seems a predictor of success.

Like Mike McKenzie, who was released last spring and couldn't make the Seahawks roster during a tryout this summer, they had a great game. Time will tell if it will continue. I did read last night night that based on W-L records this year, the Saints have faced a top five schedule and the Vikings (and possibly the Packers) are at the bottom.

Bullshit. With parity the way it is in the NFL now, coaching is everything. So many people rip TT, but TT has given Mike Mornhinweg plenty of talent. This team is underachieving at too many levels. If we played inspired football for 60 minutes the way the Saints are right now, we might be 10-1 ' 11-0 too.

ThunderDan
12-01-2009, 01:00 PM

How about this one, the Minnesota Vikings had only beaten 1 team with a winning record this season before BALT beat PITT Sunday night. The GREEN BAY PACKERS. Why do they get a pass? They have played DET (2x), CHI, CLE, STL, SEA and SF. Nobody is even suggesting that they should discount these wins for the Vikings!

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 01:38 PM

How about this one, the Minnesota Vikings had only beaten 1 team with a winning record this season before BALT beat PITT Sunday night. The GREEN BAY PACKERS. Why do they get a pass? They have played DET (2x), CHI, CLE, STL, SEA and SF. Nobody is even suggesting that they should discount these wins for the Vikings!

Favre has injected life into that team, the way he did here in the past. Maybe we're lacking leadership on the field as well. I havent seen it on defense since Butler left really. I still say it has to come from the sidelines first.

HarveyWallbangers
12-01-2009, 02:43 PM

I know what you are saying, but outside of the Tampa Bay game, have we looked that bad? We lost to 10-1 Minnesota twice in good games and we lost to a pretty good 8-3 Bengals team. Minnesota has played 5 games vs. teams with more than 4 wins. They beat us twice, but it was close. They beat Baltimore on a missed FG. They beat San Fran on a miracle last play. They lost to Pittsburgh.

Pugger
12-01-2009, 02:51 PM

This is what drives me crazy. If MN beats up on the bottom feeders of the NFL it is because they are a great team. If the Pack beats up on these same teams its because those teams stink. 7-4 is not mediocre.

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I find the penalty issue troubling. It plagued us last year, not fixed, Guys are walking around between plays, no hustle. Not the win/loss necessarily. Letting teams back in games instead of putting them away like NO did last night. Not to turn this into a bitch fest, but the author of this thread pointed out a glaring difference in coaching staffs in my opinion.

PlantPage55
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
A couple things. The Saints are more talented than we are on offense, because they are not having to play the Brown County Shuffle with their offensive line, like we constantly have been.

Brees has the experience and chemistry with his receivers that Aaron doesn't quite have yet. In time and with more work, he will develop it. Look at the way that Drew Brees throws passes that rely entirely on timing. He throws to the WRs back shoulders with ease and they have the chemistry to know what he's seeing and to make the play.

We've seen Aaron throw that type of ball only a handful of times so far. But THAT is the kind of stuff that keeps a defense on their heels. A passing attack that has the defense scrambling and not the other way around. The lack of pressure that the guy feels doesn't hurt either.

I fully believe that we will get there in time. Just maybe not this season yet, but I am hopeful. The point is: it's unfair to demand that Mac gets this out of our offense, when NO's offense has a far more experienced leader. Aaron is doing an elite job for a guy with his experience level. But that level is vastly different from Brees'.

sheepshead
12-01-2009, 03:35 PM
yeah that's it, thanks for clearing that up for me:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/passingYards/league/nfc

pbmax
12-01-2009, 03:41 PM
I find the penalty issue troubling. It plagued us last year, not fixed, Guys are walking around between plays, no hustle. Not the win/loss necessarily. Letting teams back in games instead of putting them away like NO did last night. Not to turn this into a bitch fest, but the author of this thread pointed out a glaring difference in coaching staffs in my opinion.
Agree completely about penalties. Many of the Packer penalties are simply self-inflicted wounds.

gex
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM

Who brought up the Vikings in this thread? What about the other teams with winning records?

ThunderDan
12-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Who brought up the Vikings in this thread? What about the other teams with winning records?

I think Administrator did by discounting the Packers wins. MINN has just as many wins against terrible teams as the Packers do and other than the wins over the Packers they don't have a win against anyone else than BALT with a winning record. So if the Packers are below average which is what a lot of people are saying the Vikings have 1 win against BALT that even approaches a statement game. Do you see the hypocrisy?

I could have looked up IND or NO and they are going to have beaten 3 or more 4-7 or worse teams.

mission
12-01-2009, 08:29 PM
A couple things. The Saints are more talented than we are on offense, because they are not having to play the Brown County Shuffle with their offensive line, like we constantly have been.

Brees has the experience and chemistry with his receivers that Aaron doesn't quite have yet. In time and with more work, he will develop it. Look at the way that Drew Brees throws passes that rely entirely on timing. He throws to the WRs back shoulders with ease and they have the chemistry to know what he's seeing and to make the play.

We've seen Aaron throw that type of ball only a handful of times so far. But THAT is the kind of stuff that keeps a defense on their heels. A passing attack that has the defense scrambling and not the other way around. The lack of pressure that the guy feels doesn't hurt either.

I fully believe that we will get there in time. Just maybe not this season yet, but I am hopeful. The point is: it's unfair to demand that Mac gets this out of our offense, when NO's offense has a far more experienced leader. Aaron is doing an elite job for a guy with his experience level. But that level is vastly different from Brees'.

And how long did it take Brees to develop into 'this' quarterback?

He's as close to the proverbial red-headed stepchild as there's been over the last 10-20 years.

League wide, he's gotten no love compared to what he's produced on the field.

Playoff success or lack there of ?

Not sure but he looked BRILLIANT last night.

Bretsky
12-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Watching the pats/saints game, I saw both Mike McKenzie and chris mcalister both playing very well for the Saints. The packers are very thin at CB at the moment, why wouldn't T.T. look @ 1 of these players (considering they both got picked up last week).

Thoughts?

TT will go with the youngies with upside over the proven vets

sheepshead
12-02-2009, 11:52 AM
Check this out:\

Posted by Mike Florio on December 2, 2009 12:23 PM ET
As it turns out, there were two suitors for the services of cornerback Mike McKenzie, one of the unlikely heroes of Monday night's game for the ages between the Saints and the Patriots.

Per a league source, the Packers were chasing McKenzie, too.

The need was obvious -- the Packers recently lost cornerback Al Harris for the year with a torn ACL.

In the end, McKenzie selected the Saints, in part because the Saints were willing to omit from his contract any language protecting the team against further salary obligation if a knee injury were to land McKenzie on injured reserve.

That said, it's unknown whether the Packers ever had an option to match the contract that the Saints gave to McKenzie. The 10-year veteran worked out for the Saints and signed there without visiting Green Bay.

McKenzie entered the league as part of a 1999 Packers draft class that obviously was aimed at dealing with Vikings receiver Randy Moss, who had made good on his promise to "rip up" the league as a rookie the prior season. In round one, Green Bay drafted cornerback Antuan Edwards. In round two, the Packers added cornerback Fred Vinson. McKenzie arrived in round three, and defensive back Chris Akins was picked in round seven.

Edwards, who was moved to safety, ultimately became a bust. McKenzie far and away emerged as the best of the bunch.

mraynrand
12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
It shouldn't shock anyone that the Packers would be interested in McKenzie. But why would he want to come to Green Bay over NO?

http://www.packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=19465&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

mngolf19
12-02-2009, 12:32 PM

I think Administrator did by discounting the Packers wins. MINN has just as many wins against terrible teams as the Packers do and other than the wins over the Packers they don't have a win against anyone else than BALT with a winning record. So if the Packers are below average which is what a lot of people are saying the Vikings have 1 win against BALT that even approaches a statement game. Do you see the hypocrisy?

I could have looked up IND or NO and they are going to have beaten 3 or more 4-7 or worse teams.

It's because people are trying to gauge a team that is 7-4, not 10-1. At some point that will stop if the team continues upward. If the Pack gets to 11-4, people will not be saying they got "lucky" or considering who they played. And if the Vikes get to 15-1, no one will care if their schedule was tough or if their games were close. You don't get to 11+ wins without actually being good.

ThunderDan
12-02-2009, 04:01 PM

It's because people are trying to gauge a team that is 7-4, not 10-1. At some point that will stop if the team continues upward. If the Pack gets to 11-4, people will not be saying they got "lucky" or considering who they played. And if the Vikes get to 15-1, no one will care if their schedule was tough or if their games were close. You don't get to 11+ wins without actually being good.

It's not even that. The NFL has a formula in place on who you will play the next year no matter what. You play the teams you play. Over 16 games every team plays horrible teams and good teams it evens out.

Winning is winning in the NFL, they don't draw pictures by a team's record to show how they got there.

Patler
12-10-2009, 05:31 AM

Thoughts?

The Saints released McAlister on Tuesday.

Fritz
12-10-2009, 06:58 AM
Damn you and your facts, Patler.

mraynrand
12-10-2009, 07:12 AM

Thoughts?

The Saints released McAlister on Tuesday.

http://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/mraynrand/patlersignal.jpg

MOBB DEEP
12-10-2009, 07:12 AM
I saw Mike McKenzie playing very well for the Saints.
Thoughts?

MAC DA GREAT...!

mraynrand
12-10-2009, 07:15 AM
I saw Mike McKenzie playing very well for the Saints.
Thoughts?

MAC DA GREAT...!

Even Jack Handey doesn't provide this level of insight.