PDA

View Full Version : The Packers have a shot!!

RashanGary
12-01-2009, 04:45 PM
A top ranked defense, an upper tier offense and both starting to click at the right time.

If the Packers can find an answer to their Special Teams woes, clean up a few penalties and stay healthy, who knows? ?

I've been hard on MM and others are hard on TT. Consider this. . . We're the youngest team in the league but are about to resign several key players and grow together into a prime, veteran team. With this young team, that's not quite ready to peak, but just entering that window, we are in position, at the end of the season to make a strong post season run.

Maybe this season hasn't been so bad, huh? Maybe there is a lot to be excited about!!

Partial
12-01-2009, 04:47 PM
This defense was destroyed against good offenses earlier in the year and likely will be again. They may make the playoffs but I don't think they're fit to win.

PlantPage55
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
A top ranked defense, an upper tier offense and both starting to click at the right time.

If the Packers can find an answer to their Special Teams woes, clean up a few penalties and stay healthy, who knows? ?

I've been hard on MM and others are hard on TT, but with this very young team, poised to keep a lot of their guys together and only get better, we are in position right now, near the end of the season, to make a run in the post season.

Maybe this season hasn't been so bad, huh?

Oh this season hasn't been "bad" at all. The layout of our losses and the Vikings games have put a BIG damper on an otherwise above-average season, thus far. It's been fun though and there's plenty left to go!

It has been "frustrating", however, which makes a 7-4 record somehow less satisfying.

Smidgeon
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
This defense was destroyed against good offenses earlier in the year and likely will be again. They may make the playoffs but I don't think they're fit to win.

You mean like Dallas?

RashanGary
12-01-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't feel 100% confident we'll beat this AFC playoff competitive Raven team, but honestly, I feel like we have a pretty good team with a fighters chance to knock this big guy out.

Keep building on the things we've done the last few weeks, clean up the ST's woes and penalties and I think we give just about any team in the league a good fight.

RashanGary
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I feel like the defense has gotten better every week. The first few weeks we learned how to stop the run and that has carried through from week 3 or 4 until now.

Each week we've progressively gotten better against the pass with the trend showing no signs of plateau.

This defense is about ready to enter elite status and MM FINALLY made the decision to take the heavy load off the offensive line's shoulders and place more of it on the receivers and QB with quicker throws. That decision has sparked the Packers offense into the elite category the last few weeks.

Now, ST's and Penalties still need to be cleaned up, but I'm not going to say it's doom and gloom yet. We have a chance!!

Freak Out
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
If we can keep Rodgers on his feet we have a punchers chance in any game. If Jennings, Nelson and Finley start to play with the fire of Driver we would be some bad mothers.......

Freak Out
12-01-2009, 05:08 PM
BTW....glad you're back amongst the living JH. :)

rbaloha1
12-01-2009, 06:50 PM
Still skeptical since the majority of defensive success was against poor offenses. Bush still concerns me along with a lack of pass rush without blitzing.

Nonetheless the defense is forcing t/o and stopping the run. Lets wait until the playoffs to see what type of defense the Packers really possess.

sharpe1027
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Still skeptical since the majority of defensive success was against poor offenses. Bush still concerns me along with a lack of pass rush without blitzing.

Nonetheless the defense is forcing t/o and stopping the run. Lets wait until the playoffs to see what type of defense the Packers really possess.

One point though, is that the 3-4 is designed to blitz at least one LBer almost every down. I think (others can confirm or deny) pressure in the 3-4 is really designed to come from a blitz and not as much from the front 3.

That being said, our front 3 (or 2 in the nickel) are still decent pocket-pushers.

gbgary
12-01-2009, 07:17 PM
The Packers have a shot!!

a shot a the playoffs maybe...but a shot at making a lot of noise in the playoffs...not yet.

we might make a little noise...

if there are no more injuries,

if the penalties can be significantly reduced,

if the O can pile up first downs and get touchdowns rather than fieldgoals,

if the D can keep getting turnovers,

if the D is allowed to get some rest,

and most importantly...if mm can pull his head out of his ass (so it can be chopped off when we make our playoff exit).

Partial
12-01-2009, 07:41 PM

You mean like Dallas?

When we played Dallas their D was clicking better than their O imo. I believe Ware was on a hot streak for sacks.

Like Minne. Absolutely slaughtered. Not nearly as close as the scoreboard reflected due to garbage time.

rbaloha1
12-01-2009, 07:55 PM

One point though, is that the 3-4 is designed to blitz at least one LBer almost every down. I think (others can confirm or deny) pressure in the 3-4 is really designed to come from a blitz and not as much from the front 3.

That being said, our front 3 (or 2 in the nickel) are still decent pocket-pushers.

Thank you for clarifying. Meant pass rush from 4. CM is okay but is not like AK with an arsenal of pass rushing moves.

BP, BJ and JT do not show any pass rush ability.

mission
12-01-2009, 07:59 PM

Thank you for clarifying. Meant pass rush from 4. CM is okay but is not like AK with an arsenal of pass rushing moves.

How many sacks does AK have?

What moves does AK have that CM doesn't have?

Do you feel AK has half the ability to make the play that CM did on the sack before the half against Detroit?

What has AK done this year to make you think he's premier?

Hand in the ground or not, at some point, you still have to just beat the one person in front of you. How many times has AK beat a guy this year one on one? How many times has CM done that?

bobblehead
12-01-2009, 08:34 PM

You mean like Dallas?

When we played Dallas their D was clicking better than their O imo. I believe Ware was on a hot streak for sacks.

Like Minne. Absolutely slaughtered. Not nearly as close as the scoreboard reflected due to garbage time.

Dallas?? DIDN'T COUNT....when are you people going to realize that anything positive this team does didn't count??

bobblehead
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM

How many sacks does AK have?

What moves does AK have that CM doesn't have?

Do you feel AK has half the ability to make the play that CM did on the sack before the half against Detroit?

What has AK done this year to make you think he's premier?

Hand in the ground or not, at some point, you still have to just beat the one person in front of you. How many times has AK beat a guy this year one on one? How many times has CM done that?

Kamp beat his guy a LOT of times this year. What does he have that CM doesn't have?? Hand technique for one, no one locks up Kamp...ever. Kamp likely still leads the team in QB hits/pressures.

Partial
12-01-2009, 08:36 PM

You mean like Dallas?

Dallas?? DIDN'T COUNT....when are you people going to realize that anything positive this team does didn't count??

Nah, Dallas is a good team and we punched them in the mouth. Doesn't change the fact they've gotten punched in the mouth hard by Minne twice now.

mission
12-01-2009, 08:38 PM

You mean like Dallas?

It's more than frustrating. It's almost a fight not worth fighting.

I swear Partial is just someone's alter-ego alias that they use to get a stir out of the group and get them to respond more and thus more page views etc... If there was advertising on the site and no one had actually met Partial IRL, I'd be convinced it was true. :lol:

But you know, this isn't JUST a Packers thing. Miserable people are not just miserable some of the time or only pertaining to one thing. They're miserable all the time and want all others to feel their pain.

It keeps us busy if anything. :lol:

mission
12-01-2009, 08:41 PM

You mean like Dallas?

Nah, Dallas is a good team and we punched them in the mouth. Doesn't change the fact they've gotten punched in the mouth hard by Minne twice now.

No it doesn't.

But that has a whole lot more to do with Minnesota than it does 'OUR DEFENSE IS BARELY TOP 5" ... the Favre/Rodgers factor alone is huge. We have a kid. They have a HOFer.

I like our guy more... just, because... you know, I want something new.

Ask Adrian Peterson who punched who in the mouth. He didn't do shit against us either game.

The Brett Favre factor is just too much. I said it.

I still love Rodgers.

And dammit, I love the Pack!

pbmax
12-01-2009, 08:46 PM

You mean like Dallas?

No it doesn't.

But that has a whole lot more to do with Minnesota than it does 'OUR DEFENSE IS BARELY TOP 5" ... the Favre/Rodgers factor alone is huge. We have a kid. They have a HOFer.

Ask Adrian Peterson who punched who in the mouth. He didn't do shit against us either game.

I still love Rodgers.

Its OK, mission. Your feelings are perfectly legitimate. We've made a lot of progress today, its time we wind down now. :lol:

mission
12-01-2009, 08:49 PM

You mean like Dallas?

No it doesn't.

I still love Rodgers.

Its OK, mission. Your feelings are perfectly legitimate. We've made a lot of progress today, its time we wind down now. :lol:

I've been drinking and my pregnant girlfriend thinks all the stories in the bible are 100% true (well, that's how it all started).

It's been a rough night. :cry: :lol:

(im gonna log off and play online poker soon to spare everyone)

Partial
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM

You mean like Dallas?

No it doesn't.

I still love Rodgers.

I've been drinking and my pregnant girlfriend thinks all the stories in the bible are 100% true (well, that's how it all started).

It's been a rough night. :cry: :lol:

(im gonna log off and play online poker soon to spare everyone)

no babies. It's our code thug.

congrats playa

HarveyWallbangers
12-01-2009, 09:20 PM

Point #1. Not exactly. Their offense came in hot'. We shut them down and they've struggled since. Three games before us:

W Atlanta 37-21
W Seattle 38-17
W Philadelphia 20-16 (in a game that Romo threw for over 300 yards on the road)

Point #2. Your opinion. Not mine. Minnesota looked like a better team, but it wasn't domination. I came away thinking we can beat them, if we are healthy (we didn't have Finley, Nelson, Clifton, Tausch in that last game) and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

Smidgeon
12-02-2009, 12:03 AM
The Packers have a shot!!

a shot a the playoffs maybe...but a shot at making a lot of noise in the playoffs...not yet.

we might make a little noise...

if there are no more injuries,

if the penalties can be significantly reduced,

if the O can pile up first downs and get touchdowns rather than fieldgoals,

if the D can keep getting turnovers,

if the D is allowed to get some rest,

and most importantly...if mm can pull his head out of his ass (so it can be chopped off when we make our playoff exit).

I'd be happy with just one qualification: that GB scores more points than the opponent in each game. I don't care about the rest.

Smidgeon
12-02-2009, 12:05 AM

You mean like Dallas?

I think GB got hit much harder the second game than they did the first. The first game--I thought--GB gave the game away more than Min took it away.

HarveyWallbangers
12-02-2009, 12:13 AM
I think this goes to what JH is talking about.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091201/PKR07/91201156/1058/PKR01/Vandermause--Special-teams-must-help

The defense is ranked No. 1 in the NFL, while the offense isn’t far behind at No. 6, and on the strength of those impressive numbers, the Packers are well positioned in the NFC playoff picture with a 7-4 record.

If not for the underachieving special teams, the Packers could be challenging the Minnesota Vikings for the division championship.

Shoddy special teams play was most responsible for the Packers’ loss at Tampa Bay, and contributed greatly to defeats against Cincinnati and the second Minnesota game. If the Packers had turned in merely respectable special teams performances, they could have won any of those games.

How much better would things look if the Packers were 8-3, 9-2, or even 10-1?

What-ifs don’t mean much, but consider how a few botched plays here or there could have elevated the Packers significantly in the standings:

♦ Tampa Bay blocked a punt for one touchdown, and then seized momentum in the fourth quarter on Clifton Smith’s 83-yard kickoff return to set up another touchdown. Take away those two inexcusable special teams lapses and the Packers would have won going away.

♦ Quan Cosby’s 60-yard first-half punt return led to a 6-yard Cincinnati touchdown drive, and his 32-yard second-half punt runback to the Packers’ 29 set up a field goal. Take away those 10 points and the Packers would have claimed a narrow victory over the Bengals.

♦ Percy Harvin returned a kickoff 77 yards to set up one Vikings touchdown at Lambeau Field, then added a 48-yard runback to set up another short touchdown drive. For good measure, a Packers holding penalty on a kickoff return led to bad field position, which forced a punt deep in their territory, which led to a 20-yard Minnesota return, which led to another short Vikings’ touchdown drive. No one can gift-wrap 21 easy points and expect to beat the Vikings.

Partial
12-02-2009, 12:14 AM

Point #1. Not exactly. Their offense came in hot'. We shut them down and they've struggled since. Three games before us:

W Atlanta 37-21
W Seattle 38-17
W Philadelphia 20-16 (in a game that Romo threw for over 300 yards on the road)

Point #2. Your opinion. Not mine. Minnesota looked like a better team, but it wasn't domination. I came away thinking we can beat them, if we are healthy (we didn't have Finley, Nelson, Clifton, Tausch in that last game) and we don't shoot ourselves in the foot.

Their O was playing very well too. I was saying they were one of the hottest teams in the league playing as well as anybody at the time of the game. Huge win..

The O was pretty hot the whole season, though point wise (though I do recall a few weeks back before the game when Miles Austin went off), and what I was alluding to was Ware stepping it up. Supposedly the D wasn't playing up to expectations the first few weeks and really started locking people down in the games leading up to the Packer game.

MichiganPackerFan
12-02-2009, 08:04 AM

Religion is integrally tied to emotion rather than logic. Just have to let some of that go in order to keep peace.

RashanGary
12-02-2009, 08:13 AM
This week is a HUGE week. About as huge as the last Minnesota game. If we can beat this tough Ravens team, we're really going to start building steam.

Then we just have to take 2 of the last 4 and we get a shot in the playoffs. All you need is a shot, like the Giants proved a couple years ago. Up until the very end nobody had them winning a game they played all the way down the stretch.

Health
ST's
Pentalties
Sticking with what is working on offense

These are my keys to making and then being a competitor in the playoffs. And who knows, one injury to some top teams and bam, different plyaing field.

ThunderDan
12-02-2009, 08:27 AM
This week is a HUGE week. About as huge as the last Minnesota game. If we can beat this tough Ravens team, we're really going to start building steam.

Then we just have to take 2 of the last 4 and we get a shot in the playoffs. All you need is a shot, like the Giants proved a couple years ago. Up until the very end nobody had them winning a game they played all the way down the stretch.

Health
ST's
Pentalties
Sticking with what is working on offense

These are my keys to making and then being a competitor in the playoffs. And who knows, one injury to some top teams and bam, different plyaing field.

JH-

To me it all comes down to ST. Our offense is putting up yards and points. The D is not giving up yards and few points. The ST is losing us 100+ yards of field position a game. That has to stop. Too many short fields for the D to cover and too many long fields for the O to drive.

Extra: And stop the penalties!

RashanGary
12-02-2009, 10:03 AM
JH-

To me it all comes down to ST. Our offense is putting up yards and points. The D is not giving up yards and few points. The ST is losing us 100+ yards of field position a game. That has to stop. Too many short fields for the D to cover and too many long fields for the O to drive.

Extra: And stop the penalties!

Yeah, those are the two big issues right now. Can they make progress in those areas this late? The Colts defense, the year they won it, got it together at the very end and held it to the SB. Can we see that type of improvement on ST's and with penalties? Probably not, but there's a shot.

I'd say Red zone offense is also an area where slight to moderate improvement could be made. I'd have no problem risking Rodgers body a little in the post season with more runs. I think he's almost impossible to stop in space with the run/pass option near the redzone.

bobblehead
12-02-2009, 10:29 AM
I think this goes to what JH is talking about.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20091201/PKR07/91201156/1058/PKR01/Vandermause--Special-teams-must-help

The defense is ranked No. 1 in the NFL, while the offense isn’t far behind at No. 6, and on the strength of those impressive numbers, the Packers are well positioned in the NFC playoff picture with a 7-4 record.

If not for the underachieving special teams, the Packers could be challenging the Minnesota Vikings for the division championship.

Shoddy special teams play was most responsible for the Packers’ loss at Tampa Bay, and contributed greatly to defeats against Cincinnati and the second Minnesota game. If the Packers had turned in merely respectable special teams performances, they could have won any of those games.

How much better would things look if the Packers were 8-3, 9-2, or even 10-1?

What-ifs don’t mean much, but consider how a few botched plays here or there could have elevated the Packers significantly in the standings:

♦ Tampa Bay blocked a punt for one touchdown, and then seized momentum in the fourth quarter on Clifton Smith’s 83-yard kickoff return to set up another touchdown. Take away those two inexcusable special teams lapses and the Packers would have won going away.

♦ Quan Cosby’s 60-yard first-half punt return led to a 6-yard Cincinnati touchdown drive, and his 32-yard second-half punt runback to the Packers’ 29 set up a field goal. Take away those 10 points and the Packers would have claimed a narrow victory over the Bengals.

♦ Percy Harvin returned a kickoff 77 yards to set up one Vikings touchdown at Lambeau Field, then added a 48-yard runback to set up another short touchdown drive. For good measure, a Packers holding penalty on a kickoff return led to bad field position, which forced a punt deep in their territory, which led to a 20-yard Minnesota return, which led to another short Vikings’ touchdown drive. No one can gift-wrap 21 easy points and expect to beat the Vikings.

good post, but I'll stick with my mantra....ST do count. We suck at it, and its a facet of the game. Were we competitive "outside" of ST....sure, but unfortunately you have to play ST, therefore we got beat. Can ST improve to merely bad instead of flat out stinky...I hope so cuz it could push us over the edge.

Fritz
12-02-2009, 10:37 AM

Religion is integrally tied to emotion rather than logic. Just have to let some of that go in order to keep peace.

Wrong answer: "Just have to let some of that go to keep the peace."

Right answer: Don't marry her!

Smidgeon
12-02-2009, 10:46 AM
Wrong answer: "Just have to let some of that go to keep the peace."

Right answer: Don't marry her!

Please take your opinions on this non-football topic to the non-football forum so I don't have to read it.

mngolf19
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
My take is that the Packers absolutely have a shot. And yes could beat the Vikes. But it would take something that I haven't seen from this year's team yet. More pressure from D, better OL, less penalties, better ST.

Waldo
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
My take is that the Packers absolutely have a shot. And yes could beat the Vikes. But it would take something that I haven't seen from this year's team yet. More pressure from D, better OL, less penalties, better ST.

Or Brett Favre playing like typical late season Brett Favre, throwing it to the other team instead of his own and whatnot.

The best way to defend against Brett Favre in the playoffs....let him throw the ball. :lol:

RashanGary
12-02-2009, 01:11 PM

The first two, we've shown signs of fixing. The last two? We Packer fans can only hope.

TennesseePackerBacker
12-02-2009, 01:25 PM

You mean like Dallas?

If you want to crown them, than crown their ass!

Seriously, you and a lot of other people seem to forget the NFL is 17 weeks, and then the slate is wiped clean for the playoffs(Playoffs?!?). This season is by no means over, and no, the only part of our team that got punched in the mouth by Minnesota was the O-line. If we can rectify that problem there is no reason to think the Packers might reach a third meeting with the Vikings. Which history says bodes very well in our favor.

We have 5 games left, and Joe Pesci willing, atleast a playoff game to prove what this team is made of. The Pack have hit their stride of late and are coming off a mini bye-week. We will beat the Ravens on Monday night at home.

mngolf19
12-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Or Brett Favre playing like typical late season Brett Favre, throwing it to the other team instead of his own and whatnot.

The best way to defend against Brett Favre in the playoffs....let him throw the ball. :lol:

I'm sure MN and Favre are hoping all teams continue to hope for this.

MadScientist
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM

I'm sure MN and Favre are hoping all teams continue to hope for this.

It's a strategy that will work really well if someone would cut the hefty bag off of the dome and force Brett to play outside in January. :twisted:

sharpe1027
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
It's a strategy that will work really well if someone would cut the hefty bag off of the dome and force Brett to play outside in January. :twisted:

Or make him play from behind early.

mngolf19
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM

Or make him play from behind early.

Closest thing will be the game in Chicago on Dec 27 I believe. So we may see then. Otherwise Arizona this wknd and Carolina in a couple are the only outdoor games left. Heck, AZ could still be indoors.

woodbuck27
12-02-2009, 07:48 PM
A huge week for the Packers with Baltimore at Lambeau.

Eyes will be on Philly at Atlanta as well.

1 p.m. ET, FOX - Philadelphia at Atlanta

Series leader: The Eagles have won six of the past seven.
Streaks: Philadelphia has a 15-11-1 overall series lead, including the playoffs.

Consider this an early wild-card game. This contest is essential for both teams, and Atlanta goes in without Matt Ryan, and with Michael Turner wounded. The Eagles will be without Brian Westbrook, and likely DeSean Jackson as well. The Falcons are very tough to beat at home, and the Eagles haven't looked like world beaters lately, just finding ways to win games. You have to wonder, with Michael Vick making a return to the place where he became a Pro Bowler, is this the week he takes on a bigger role in the Wildcat? Would make for quite the homecoming. With no Westbrook or Jackson, that is all the more reason to try to get Vick on the field in some capacity, even if it's lined up in the slot or as a back. Look for Asante Samuel to make his mark again, jumping on underneath stuff against a limited quarterback. He could be a big factor.

Philadelphia's LeSean McCoy leads NFC rookies with 528 rushing yards. ...

Eagles CB Asante Samuel has the most interceptions since 2006 (27). ...

Atlanta's Tony Gonzalez has scored a touchdown in four consecutive December games. ...

If the season ended today, the Eagles would have a wild-card spot and the Falcons would be on the outside looking in.

Baltimore at Green Bay Monday, 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN

Series leader: The Packers have won two of the three matchups in the history of the series.

The Pack is back, but this will be a big test. This is another contest neither team can afford to lose, and is a rare out-of-conference game with so much at stake. Both clubs have climbed back into the wild-card scene. Baltimore has three in a row against the NFC North, before finishing at Pittsburgh and Oakland. Losing any more than one of these games does them in. Aaron Rodgers is on a tear, but Baltimore's defense is back to being an elite unit since its bye week. This could be a game where Green Bay's loss of Aaron Kampman and Al Harris is felt. Both Rodgers and Ravens QB Joe Flacco are looking to take steps in the fourth quarter of games, and Ray Rice will end up carrying a significant load for Baltimore. Dude is playing incredible football right now. Ravens RB Ray Rice has at least 100 yards from scrimmage in eight consecutive games.

Baltimore QB Joe Flacco needs two touchdown passes to surpass his rookie total of 14.

... Rodgers has a 102.6 passer rating in 14 career starts at home.

... Green Bay S Nick Collins aims for his third straight game with an interception.

... If the season ended today, the Packers would have a wild-card spot and the Ravens would be on the outside looking in.

GO PACK GO!