PDA

View Full Version : Michael Oher

Brando19
12-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Just got back from watching "The Blind Side". Holy crap how can you not root for this guy? He really had it rough. I'll have to hope he has a good game Monday Night, but everyone else on the team sucks and the Packers win big. But....I'll have to root for the Ravens when it doesn't affect the Packers after Monday Night.

Lurker64
12-01-2009, 10:07 PM
I was really hoping that Thompson would trade back into the first to grab this guy when he fell past Detroit's second pick. Of course, we traded back into the first and got Clay Matthews III so I'm not disappointed, but he'd have looked good in Green and Gold. Hell, I advocated for taking him at #9.

Rastak
12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Non Packer related but......

I know quite a few Vikes fans that wanted to draft Oher when he was on the board but it sure looks to me like Harvin/Loadholt combo was the better way to go.

Brando19
12-01-2009, 10:16 PM
I can't imagine any fan of any team not wanting Michael Oher to be on their team. I followed him a bit in college and I knew he was homeless at one point, but I didn't realize all he had been through until I watched the movie. Hell of a man.

mraynrand
12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Why do people keep starting non-Packer threads? Take this to a Ravens Forum!!!

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Ty hates Oher. Oppositionally defiant!

Brandon494
12-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I'd rather root for Driver

Tyrone Bigguns
12-01-2009, 11:39 PM
If Oher wants ty in his corner, he will spell his name Oar, Or, or Ore.

BallHawk
12-01-2009, 11:43 PM
I'd rather root for Driver

+1 (No love lost to Oher)

Zool
12-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I can't imagine any fan of any team not wanting Michael Oher to be on their team. I followed him a bit in college and I knew he was homeless at one point, but I didn't realize all he had been through until I watched the movie. Hell of a man.

He (Oher) that they took quite a lot of artistic license when making the story. He gave it a couple back handed compliments but he didn't sound happy with the picture of him that was painted. Haven't watched it myself just stating what was said during the game Sunday night.

channtheman
12-02-2009, 12:01 AM
I haven't seen the move but I'm reading through the book and it's great. Micheal Lewis is a great author. My dad said the book fills in a lot of the details that you can't fit into the movie.

Tyrone Bigguns
12-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I haven't seen the move but I'm reading through the book and it's great. Micheal Lewis is a great author. My dad said the book fills in a lot of the details that you can't fit into the movie.

Billy Beane passed on Oher.

Lurker64
12-02-2009, 02:42 AM

None of the Athletics' minor league affiliates could have afforded to feed him without massive increases in their clubhouse budgets.

pbmax
12-02-2009, 07:38 AM

Odd thing too, as his VORB (Value Over Replacement Bum) was sky high. :shock:

What!? It's a joke! Fine, I'll just sit in the corner for a while.

ND72
12-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I read the book in about 4 days, it was that amazing! The movie is great, but the book is by far better than the movie.

Partial
12-06-2009, 01:01 AM
I saw this tonight with the better looking half and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Spectacular flick. Well worth the 20 bucks.

Brando19
12-06-2009, 07:43 AM
I saw this tonight with the better looking half and we both thoroughly enjoyed it. Spectacular flick. Well worth the 20 bucks.

20 bucks? It's $7.50 per person here. I thought it was worth the money, too.

greensled
12-06-2009, 08:44 AM
wow......still $3.00/per here. Large popcorn is a buck, candy is 50 cents, large pop is .75

red
12-06-2009, 08:49 AM
wow......still $3.00/per here. Large popcorn is a buck, candy is 50 cents, large pop is .75

what third world conntry do you live in?

i think the last time i remember 3 bucks for a movie it was in the 90's

Bretsky
12-06-2009, 09:15 AM

8.50 in Johnson Creek..........at least you get popcorn refills :lol:

Partial
12-06-2009, 11:09 AM

Definitely was 9.50 a person without pop-corn. However, I had a coupon for a complimentary pop corn so that was okay I guess.

Bretsky
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM

Definitely was 9.50 a person without pop-corn. However, I had a coupon for a complimentary pop corn so that was okay I guess.

OOPS; wrote that wrong; 8.50 per person....6 for kids

Large Popcorn and Large Pop will cost you $10 beans but then you get free refills on popcorn and pop......good gor a family of 5 who has kids that are pcorn addicts

Partial
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM

OOPS; wrote that wrong; 8.50 per person....6 for kids

Large Popcorn and Large Pop will cost you $10 beans but then you get free refills on popcorn and pop......good gor a family of 5 who has kids that are pcorn addicts

Bretsky, this is a really good family movie as an fyi. Not saying you should go or anything, but I think your family and wife might enjoy it. It has a very good message plus is very entertaining since it's about football.

It's the best non-comedy that I've seen in a few years.

I feel like movie theaters would make more money if the flicks were 5 bucks instead of nearly 10. More volumes. Then again, I'm sure they've done the research and I have not, so maybe not.

bobblehead
12-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Or Oher could spell his name Orr or Ohr.

I think I was well on record saying draft any of the 4 tackles if they were available at our pick... I like BJ and I like BJ's, but I would rather have a mega talented future LT at this point than either.

Brando19
12-06-2009, 02:38 PM

Where do you live? 1958? :lol:

MOBB DEEP
12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
I got that piece last week bootleg in SE D.C.; DEF worth the 5 dollars and 3.50 for the backwoods

ThunderDan
12-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I got that piece last week bootleg in SE D.C.; DEF worth the 5 dollars and 3.50 for the backwoods

Kind of like when I went to Thailand for vacation SCUBA diving. The Grinch that Stole Christmas with Jim Carey had just come out in the USA. We fly around the globe to a backward jungle where the power doesn't work all of the time and the first bar we are at is showing a bootleg copy.

mission
12-06-2009, 08:51 PM
WTF.. $10 a person at the 'normal' theatres here...

$30+ before you even sit down. i much prefer rentals 8-)

MichiganPackerFan
12-07-2009, 09:01 AM
WTF.. $10 a person at the 'normal' theatres here...

$30+ before you even sit down. i much prefer rentals 8-)

Completely agree: that's like two months of Netflix

Waldo
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM

I think I was well on record saying draft any of the 4 tackles if they were available at our pick... I like BJ and I like BJ's, but I would rather have a mega talented future LT at this point than either.

That is very debatable with Oher.

People are projecting him to get there, but will he?

He still has the same issues he had in college, he looks great on 7/8th of plays. Many people's biggest issue with him was not how talented or how good he was, he had the production to go in the top ten, he had the physical ability to go #1 overall. Why did a guy with the physical ability to be one of the best ever, struggle at times? He should have been a 0-1 sack in a college career guy, like Boselli, Munoz or Thomas. But he wasn't.

Why did the team that coached him for a week in the Senior Bowl (Jax), pass him in favor of a guy that they hadn't worked with?

Oher has the same issues as Barbre, which will likely cap his ceiling at very good. The potential to be no better than very good is not something that you settle for in the top 10.

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM

That is very debatable with Oher.

People are projecting him to get there, but will he?

He still has the same issues he had in college, he looks great on 7/8th of plays. Many people's biggest issue with him was not how talented or how good he was, he had the production to go in the top ten, he had the physical ability to go #1 overall. Why did a guy with the physical ability to be one of the best ever, struggle at times? He should have been a 0-1 sack in a college career guy, like Boselli, Munoz or Thomas. But he wasn't.

Why did the team that coached him for a week in the Senior Bowl (Jax), pass him in favor of a guy that they hadn't worked with?

Oher has the same issues as Barbre, which will likely cap his ceiling at very good. The potential to be no better than very good is not something that you settle for in the top 10.

I understood the questions with him, but franchise LT's don't come along that often...I felt he was worth the gamble and if it didn't work out you had a really good RT for years to come.

With Cliffy nearing the end and no solution in sight, I am hoping we don't draft in the top 10 again any time soon I just don't see where we get the franchise LT now. While BJ was a good pick, I think I would have gambled a bit.

Waldo
12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
Very good LT's also come from the late first and second with some reliability.

Remember Cliffy was a 2nd. NE grabbed Vollmer in the 2nd this year. Joe Staley was taken at the end of the first (28th) in '07. About 1/3rd of the leagues LT's were not 1st or 2nd round picks, and came from elsewhere.

bobblehead
12-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Very good LT's also come from the late first and second with some reliability.

Remember Cliffy was a 2nd. NE grabbed Vollmer in the 2nd this year. Joe Staley was taken at the end of the first (28th) in '07. About 1/3rd of the leagues LT's were not 1st or 2nd round picks, and came from elsewhere.

I know just a few years ago it was nowhere near 1/3rd, but it might be now. I just have nightmares of Wolf trying to find a replacement for Ken Rutgers. Cliffy was indeed a 2nd, but he never was a very good run blocker. I just happen to be a firm believer in having an elite LT and an elite QB as a winning formula.

Here is an article off a quick google...might even be the same one I posted in the past.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_10_226/ai_83794037/

In 2002 2/3rds of starting LT's were first round picks. There was a time where I was onboard with you (or you were with me) that College was the LT of the future, but I always wanted another plan since we have not seen him play extensively there. I still think he MIGHT be able to man the spot, but I'd rather have a guy with elite skill sets.

In recent history the best LT's to enter the league have all been very high picks to the best of my recollection. Boselli, Thomas, Pace, Ogden. Parcells took an LT over anyone else when he had the chance. I'm not saying you can't get serviceable guys at the end of the first or the second, but the odds are best in the top 10....more so than any position including QB (and QB bust factor is MUCH higher).

Again, I'm not disputing what you say overall, but the odds are in favor of doing it my way and just grabbing the mega talented guy when you have a top 10 pick. When we got Hawk I was wishing Ferguson would slip. This year I wanted one of the big 3 to slip, but still woulda drafted oher. Next year I'll be saying draft up and grab one. I just happen to believe an offense starts and stops with a great LT, and its the hardest thing to aquire. Although Babre proved it can stop with a bad enough RT as well :P

Waldo
12-07-2009, 04:22 PM
You are assuming though that Oher as a prospect belonged in that conversation, when he simply didn't. I understand the concept of not passing on a elite LT prospect, but you don't take Joe Staley, the prospect, in the top 10 and hope he gets there.

Oher's fall is the same reason that Jeremy Thompson, with the physical ability of a top 10 pick, was drafted in the 4th, same with Aaron Rouse or Deshawn Wynn taken in the 7th. One of the worst black marks that a player can get come draft day, is not being too slow or too weak, or being raw, it is having the measurables to be great, coming from a good program with good coaching, starting a long time, and producing very ungreat. Players like that rarely work out. Teams look for players whose production matches or exceeds their physical measurements, and severely downgrade those who underachieve. Certain positions this is especially true at, none moreso than LT, who is expected to be Mr. Reliable.