PDA

View Full Version : Double Standards

Sparkey
12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Anderson said police clocked the 24-year-old Peterson going 109 mph, but Peterson told the AP he wasn't going that fast.

She said Peterson was given a citation and allowed to drive away after what appeared to be a "very routine" traffic stop.

It never ceases to amaze me how star athletes live under a different set of rules than everyone else. Check out the Minnesota statutes. He should have had his license revoked immediately according to state law.

===================
2009 Minnesota Statutes

171.17 REVOCATION.
Subdivision 1.Offenses.

(a) The department shall immediately revoke the license of a driver upon receiving a record of the driver's conviction of:

(1) manslaughter resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle or criminal vehicular homicide or injury under section 609.21;

(2) a violation of section 169A.20 or 609.487;

(3) a felony in the commission of which a motor vehicle was used;

(4) failure to stop and disclose identity and render aid, as required under section 169.09, in the event of a motor vehicle accident, resulting in the death or personal injury of another;

(5) perjury or the making of a false affidavit or statement to the department under any law relating to the ownership or operation of a motor vehicle;

(6) except as this section otherwise provides, three charges of violating within a period of 12 months any of the provisions of chapter 169 or of the rules or municipal ordinances enacted in conformance with chapter 169, for which the accused may be punished upon conviction by imprisonment;

(7) two or more violations, within five years, of the misdemeanor offense described in section 169.444, subdivision 2, paragraph (a);

(8) the gross misdemeanor offense described in section 169.444, subdivision 2, paragraph (b);

(9) an offense in another state that, if committed in this state, would be grounds for revoking the driver's license; or

(10) a violation of an applicable speed limit by a person driving in excess of 100 miles per hour. The person's license must be revoked for six months for a violation of this clause, or for a longer minimum period of time applicable under section 169A.53, 169A.54, or 171.174.

(b) The department shall immediately revoke the school bus endorsement of a driver upon receiving a record of the driver's conviction of the misdemeanor offense described in section 169.443, subdivision 7.
Subd. 2.Offenses by juveniles.

When a juvenile court judge or duly authorized agent determines under a proceeding held under chapter 260 that a person under the age of 18 years has committed an offense defined in this section, the judge or authorized agent shall immediately report this determination to the department, and the commissioner shall immediately revoke the person's license.
Subd. 3.Notice.

Upon revoking a license under this chapter, the department shall immediately notify the licensee, in writing, by depositing in the United States post office a notice addressed to the licensee at the licensee's last known address, with postage prepaid.
History:

(2720-145b) 1939 c 401 s 17; 1951 c 483 s 1; 1961 c 32 s 1; Ex1971 c 27 s 25; 1981 c 363 s 39; 1985 c 248 s 70; 1985 c 291 s 21; 1986 c 444; 1987 c 123 s 3; 1991 c 270 s 2; 1991 c 277 s 14; 1993 c 78 s 5; 1998 c 388 s 21,22; 2000 c 478 art 2 s 7; 1Sp2005 c 6 art 3 s 76

mngolf19
12-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Knowing people who have been caught driving that fast before, it's not a double standard. Depending on the situation, it generally would only be a ticket for anyone regardless of what the statute says.

packers11
12-03-2009, 04:27 PM
110 on a 55. Cop wrote me up as a 65 in a 55. 85$ ticket.

sooo... I can't say much in this situation :lol:

(I live in Rhode Island) not sure of the laws down here.

Partial
12-03-2009, 04:31 PM
I know plenty of people in Wisco (5-6) who have had license suspended for 6 months immediately for going >= 20 over.

CaliforniaCheez
12-03-2009, 05:25 PM
There is no conviction yet. Judges not police do that.

If I was the head coach I would take away his parking privileges at all team facilities for the remainder of the season.

That would get him thinking about harming the team by risking his life and health and that of the community's at 109 mph.

pbmax
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
I know plenty of people in Wisco (5-6) who have had license suspended for 6 months immediately for going >= 20 over.
That's very unusual. I had a ticket like this once sometime ago, plus expired tags AND license [the trifecta of a traffic stop]. My passenger had to drive the rest of the way as I now had too many points, but one visit in court and it got knocked down to one fine and less than half the original points.

mraynrand
12-04-2009, 11:24 AM
When driving above 100mph in Minnesota, Minnesota police defer to NFL policy in determining fines, etc.

mission
12-04-2009, 12:29 PM
10 years ago as a new-to-California WI transplant, I got pulled over going over 135 on hwy 55 ... was 5am, was sober and coming back from a girl's house... told the cop I was super tired cuz the girl made me have sex more than I wanted and my balls hurt and I just wanted to go home.

He laughed, sighed... then wrote me a ticket for 80 in a 55. I told him I loved him and he said "let's not go too far now" ...

Young and dumb I was... I drive like a dad with a family now but yeah... :shrug:

woodbuck27
12-04-2009, 12:34 PM
10 years ago as a new-to-California WI transplant, I got pulled over going over 135 on hwy 55 ... was 5am, was sober and coming back from a girl's house... told the cop I was super tired cuz the girl made me have sex more than I wanted and my balls hurt and I just wanted to go home.

He laughed, sighed... then wrote me a ticket for 80 in a 55. I told him I loved him and he said "let's not go too far now" ...

Young and dumb I was... I drive like a dad with a family now but yeah... :shrug:

Maybe if you had just expressed ' your love for this officer ' you might have gotten off without a ticket. :D

get louder at lambeau
12-04-2009, 01:07 PM
When driving above 100mph in Minnesota, Minnesota police defer to NFL policy in determining fines, etc.

If only.

That does bring up an interesting point, though. The NFL may not be too happy about this conduct. I believe he'd qualify as a first time offender, like Jolly, so any punishment would be based on the outcome of the trial/plea.

Roger Goodell doesn't like his boys endangering public safety.

Cheesehead Craig
12-04-2009, 04:20 PM
There is no conviction yet. Judges not police do that.

True that. The cop at the time issues the citation and the courts do the revoking of the licence at his court date.

Guiness
12-05-2009, 12:45 AM

6 month suspension for 20 over?

20 what? Light years? I call BS on that.

SMACKTALKIE
12-05-2009, 01:01 AM
Getting a ticket and being found guilty of going beyond 100 mph are two different things.

http://wcco.com/goodquestion/speeding.good.question.2.1350341.html

Plus......... a speeding ticket speed can be reduced?!

I smell a conspiracy theory in the making.

Throw the book at him! Dirty speeder!

I'll put this (as well as Berrian at 105 mph) under the "no news is good news" file.

SnakeLH2006
12-05-2009, 01:10 AM
Snake used to drive his old BMW at 130+ mph daily (when going to college) for many miles without EVER getting pulled over just a few years ago (straight highway mileage...nobody could have gotten hurt). Dude was prob. wrong place at the wrong time. Sometimes you can do it daily if you know there's no cops involved and with some good radar. Did it hundreds of times with no ticket...no harm, no foul....AP was wrong place/wrong time. Many peeps speed. Snake used to be one of them...but never get pulled over....AP shoulda used some radar, or common sense.

mission
12-05-2009, 09:00 AM

It's definitely not 20 but whatever the 'Reckless Endangerment' speed is ... what is it? 25, 30 mph over?

Now "plenty of people" ... I dunno, Wisconsin is pretty lenient. I haven't lived there in years and they're still the only state (that Ive lived in) that will give me a drivers license. lol

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 09:12 AM
Is that lenient or just not paying attention?

mission
12-05-2009, 09:15 AM
Is that lenient or just not paying attention?

Whatever it is... they took my dad's address, $35 and gave me a license.

And since I don't drive in Wisconsin, I never lose any points or anything. The communication is poor between states needless to say.

Now all that said, I haven't been pulled over, let alone got a ticket, in 4-5 years.

MJZiggy
12-05-2009, 09:20 AM
How long before they wipe the offenses from your record? I thought there was a set amount of time or is that just for insurance?

packers11
12-05-2009, 01:14 PM
pft.com

Bernard Berrian joins the 100-mile-an-hour club
Posted by Mike Florio on December 5, 2009 8:05 AM ET
Running back Adrian Peterson isn't the only Vikings player to recently be nabbed driving his car in excess of 100 miles per hour.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that, on Monday night, receiver Bernard Berrian was busted for going 104 in a 60-mph zone.

Berrian was stopped at 9:38 p.m. local time.

We know that plenty of Vikings players secretly (or, in the case of guys like Steve Hutchinson and Sage Rosenfels, openly) are members of PFT Planet. So let me talk directly to you men for a second. (Don't worry -- no one else is reading this.)

Please click this link and read this article from the Sports Illustrated vault regarding a trio of NFL players who died during the 1992 offseason.

One of them was Eagles defensive tackle Jerome Brown.

"He had a weakness for Corvettes, one of which he totaled on a Florida highway in his junior year at Miami," Rick Reilly wrote. (Well, there goes our vow to never read another thing Reilly has written, which arose from the fact that he was one of the writers of Leatherheads, the single worst football movie of all time.) "He walked away from that accident unscratched, but he apparently did not take the hint -- maybe because he had a need for speed. Brown once recalled that the first time he drove a car was with his father on a highway. The traffic was doing about 75 mph, it was raining, and his dad was yelling, 'Hit the gas! Hit the gas! Boy, you don't hit the gas, and I ain't gonna let you drive no more!' Said Brown, 'I hit it and ain't slowed down since.'"

Guys -- especially those of you with wives and/or children -- we're begging you. Slow down. At a time when the NFL has has developed a full-blown case of OCD regarding the effect of an in-game knock to the noggin on a players' long-term health and well-being, driving 100-plus mph on a regular basis is the easiest way to trigger a much more serious impact to your long-term (and short-term) ability to live a productive life.

Or, you know, to live at all.

Guess they are having a competition. Who can get caught going faster :lol:

Partial
12-05-2009, 02:08 PM

It's definitely not 20 but whatever the 'Reckless Endangerment' speed is ... what is it? 25, 30 mph over?

Now "plenty of people" ... I dunno, Wisconsin is pretty lenient. I haven't lived there in years and they're still the only state (that Ive lived in) that will give me a drivers license. lol

I'm dead serious. I know several people who this has happened to. 20 over is an automatic 6 month suspension. They may have gone to court and fought it. I'm sure they did. At the time of ticket they could not drive home, this is the extent of my knowledge of it.

Maybe it's 25, but I could have sworn it was 20.

mraynrand
12-05-2009, 02:53 PM
Derrick Thomas and Wayne Simmons liked to drive fast too.